Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Information Desk
Reload this Page >

Which Frequent Flyer Program to Join? Help Is Here!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 24, 2014, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Mwenenzi
Before posting please read POSTS 1-3 for a comprehensive overview of how to select a program.
If you already plan to focus on one particular alliance, please visit the sticky in the relevant forum: Deciding on a oneworld FFP or Which SkyTeam FFP or Choosing a Star FFP

List of frequent flyer programs from Wikipedia

Questionnaire: Copy and paste into your post
Provide the requested information.

1. What is most important to you in a frequent flyer program (FFP)?
upgrades, priority services, baggage allowance, good award redemption rates, better award access, lounge access, etc.
>>> Reply:

2. How many miles do you usually fly each year? How many flights/sectors?
less than 25000 miles, 50000+ miles and 20-25 flights, etc.
>>> Reply:

3. What fare class do you usually buy?
first, business, premium economy, economy
>>> Reply:

4. Are you able to choose your airlines and/or class of service? Do you travel for work and/or pleasure?
>>> Reply:

5. Which routes do you fly most often?
transatlantic, domestic USA, intra-Asia, etc.
>>> Reply:

6. What is your home airport?
>>> Reply:

7. Do you have status in any FFP? What is it? How miles do you have banked in each FFP, if any?
>>> Reply:

8. What are your preferred airlines, if any?
>>> Reply:
Print Wikipost

Which Frequent Flyer Program to Join? Help Is Here!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2014, 12:54 pm

(e.g., upgrades, priority services, baggage allowance, good award redemption rates, better award access, lounge access)
Reply:

good award redemption rates, upgrades

(e.g., <25000, 25000-50000, >50000 miles and <25, 25-50, >50 flights?)
Reply:

<25000 / <25

(e.g., first, business, premium economy, economy)
Reply:

economy

4. Are you able to choose your airlines and/or class of service? Do you travel for work and/or pleasure?
Reply:

yes. for both but I usually pick flights. most flights will be between MSP and YVR, but 2-3 times a year I will fly to conferences in different cities.

5. Which routes do you fly most often
(e.g., U.S. domestic, transatlantic, intra-Asia)
Reply:

US/Canada

(e.g., SFO, LHR, HKG)
Reply:

YVR (Vancouver) and MSP (Minneapolis)

7. Do you have status in any FFP? What is it? How miles do you have banked in a FFP, if any?
(e.g., AA Executive Platinum, UA 1K, LAN Comodoro)
Reply:

nope

Reply:

Thanks!
Old Aug 14, 2014, 9:19 pm
Suspended

It seems there is some confusion here. I think karate123 flies YYZ-FRA-ZAG-FRA-YYZ 4-5 times a year, meaning 4x8820 = 35,280 miles. Should get you *A silver.

Last edited by aBroadAbroad; Aug 15, 2014 at 12:30 am Reason: add OP name to clarify after thread merge
Old Aug 14, 2014, 10:48 pm

Originally Posted by dieuwer2
It seems there is some confusion here. I think the OP flies YYZ-FRA-ZAG-FRA-YYZ 4-5 times a year, meaning 4x8820 = 35,280 miles. Should get you *A silver.
Sorry, I guess I wasn't clear enough. I fly that route 4-6 times a year, one way. So 2-3 round trips per year.

- I have 6973 miles with LH (got this from a one way flight)
- I have 4678 miles with AC (got this from a one way flight)
- I have 4894 Avios and 55 Tier with BA (got this from a one way flight)

I'm still not sure which one to pick for status

Last edited by karate123; Aug 14, 2014 at 10:54 pm
Old Aug 15, 2014, 6:19 pm

Find ways to use hard earned mile and points in a more efficient way.
Old Aug 17, 2014, 7:01 pm

Hi! Thanks in advance for any and all advice

(1) What is most important to you in a FFP?

The occasional free/cheap award ticket. Extra baggage allowance and upgrades would be nice too, but I don't think I'll fly enough for that, or for "status" unfortunately, will I? (I love flying).

(2) How many miles do you usually fly each year & in what class? How many flights/sectors?

At least 2, maybe 3, flights, with returns, from LIS (Portugal) to SFO per year. *Maybe* a flight within the US too - maybe.

(3) What types of fares do you usually buy ?

Economy. Money is tight....

(4) Can you choose your airlines and/or class of service? Do you travel for work and/or pleasure?

Yes, I can. Mostly to get to/from college, and then the occasional for-pleasure flight.

(5) Which routes do you fly most often

Not sure what this question means, but LIS -> SFO and back.

(6) What is your home airport?

LIS (Portugal) for a season, SFO (or other bay area airports, really) the rest of the year.

(7) Do you have FFP status of any kind in an airline? What is it? Do you have any miles banked in a FFP?

No.

(8) Preferred Airlines

None, really. In the past when booking flights I've just gone for the cheapest/most convenient option available...
Old Aug 19, 2014, 5:42 am

Programs: Skymiles Diamond, Miles & More, Aeroplan
I posted a related question in the FB forum, but this looks like the place to get more general advice -- I hope this won't be considered a double- or cross-post, I'd hate to breach etiquette on my second day here....

(e.g., upgrades, priority services, baggage allowance, good award redemption rates, better award access, lounge access)
Reply:

Priority services, lounge access, and award access.

(e.g., <25000, 25000-50000, >50000 miles and <25, 25-50, >50 flights?)
Reply:

Last year I flew about 125,000 miles spread over roughly 25 segments. I'm on track for something similar this year.

(e.g., first, business, premium economy, economy)
Reply:

Business on segments >3 hrs and fully refundable economy on segments <3 hrs when traveling for work. About 90% of these segments are long-haul in business. Personal travel is in economy or using award tickets.

Reply:

For work travel, I have some control over airlines, but if an AF-marketed option is available the corporate TA will almost always choose it. The exception is when AF doesn't fly a route or another flight is significantly cheaper, but then it will always be a non-SkyTeam airline.

Personal travel tends to be on award tickets or discount airlines like EasyJet, WizzAir, and Ryanair.

5. Which routes do you fly most often
(e.g., U.S. domestic, transatlantic, intra-Asia)
Reply:

Transatlantic 6-10 times/year (typically CDG-SFO, occasionally open jaws out of CDG), CDG to Asia 1-2 times/year, domestic European 1-4 times/year.

(e.g., SFO, LHR, HKG)
Reply:

CDG

7. Do you have status in any FFP? What is it? How miles do you have banked in a FFP, if any?
(e.g., AA Executive Platinum, UA 1K, LAN Comodoro)
Reply:

Skymiles Diamond (300k miles), Miles & More (33k miles, 25k status miles)

Reply:

The vast majority of my miles are flown on AF and, as mentioned above, I have little say in the matter. Most of the remaining miles are split fairly evenly between DL and UA. The DL flights tend to be US domestic, while the UA flights tend to be long-haul transatlantic.

I anticipate flying within Asia in the coming years, and it looks like China Southern, China Eastern, China Airlines, Malaysian Airlines, and/or Philippines are likely candidates for those flights.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 10:29 am

Mileage program recommendation

My friend came to me for mileage/credit card advice... and of course I immediately turn to flyer talk haha.

My friend is based in SFO. He plans on flying to Singapore 3~4 times a year and to TPE at least once a year. He also travels for business within US and sometimes to Europe, but these are sporadic and very hard to predict.

He wants to know which airline mileage program he should join. I looked on ITA Matrix and it seems like Singapore Airline and United serves the route the most. And Eva has a direct route from SFO to TPE. It seems like it makes the most sense to choose a star alliance program. My first instinct was United, but then I remembered that United is adapting that new airfare-based earning model.

So I think Singapore or Eva would probably the best bet? Which of these two would be better? Or are there better programs that I should consider?

Thanks!
Old Aug 20, 2014, 12:02 pm

Baffling programs

It seems that you need a degree to understand these programs. Let me explain.

I have some Miles and Smiles bonus points from Turkish airways, about 16,000 air miles (the actual flights are a total of over 20,000 miles, so how this is figured who knows?). I was given at Turkish airways office in Manchester a phone number to call when I reach 20,000 miles. But it (0207 471 6666) seems to be permanently engaged. So that's gotten nowhere.

Last time, I flew by Lufthansa instead on a similar route. I was told by Lufthansa at Manchester that in some unspecified way, I can link their own Miles and More miles program to the miles I already have on Smiles and Miles. But how this Miles and More program works, and how it links to Smiles and Smiles, is a complete mystery and they never explained the system.

Is there anyone who can go through this stuff at this very basic level? Please do not direct me to the official Turkish airways website. That site is baffling to understand and I am not the only one who says so. The staff at the airport say they have many other complaints about how difficicult it is to fathom. So please don't tell me to go there!
Old Aug 20, 2014, 3:16 pm

What is most important to your friend: earning status, or getting free award flights?

Two caveats about Singapore's program - miles earned expire within three years, and there's no way to extend the life of the miles (ongoing account activity is not enough). They also have fuel surcharges on awards. So flying on Singapore Airlines, but crediting the miles to United (where regular account activity will keep the miles alive indefinitely) may be the best way to go if your friend values award tickets more than airline status, even though United's new award chart is pretty nasty when it comes to booking business or first-class awards on partners.

And if your friend is up for getting a few credit cards, the Chase card trio of Chase Ink Bold/Plus, Chase Sapphire Preferred, and Chase Freedom will allow him to earn Ultimate Rewards points that can be transferred to either United or Singapore, when he's ready to book some award travel. They also transfer to hotels (Marriott, Hyatt, and IHG).
Old Aug 20, 2014, 3:24 pm

Originally Posted by ukthesis
Last time, I flew by Lufthansa instead on a similar route. I was told by Lufthansa at Manchester that in some unspecified way, I can link their own Miles and More miles program to the miles I already have on Smiles and Miles. But how this Miles and More program works, and how it links to Smiles and Smiles, is a complete mystery and they never explained the system.!
As far as I know, that is not possible. But since both Lufthansa and Turkish Airlines are part of the same airline alliance (Star Alliance), you can credit the miles you earn from flying a Lufthansa flight to your Turkish Airlines frequent flyer account - you just need to give your Turkish Airlines frequent flyer number to the ticket agent when you book your flight orwhen you check in at the airport. (Likewise, you could credit your Turkish Airways flights to Lufthansa in the same way; you'd just need to join the Lufthansa frequent flyer program first.)
Old Aug 20, 2014, 6:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

ukthesis
Look & ask here
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/infor...help-here.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/star-...post-here.html

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Aug 20, 2014 at 10:38 pm Reason: edit after merge
Old Aug 20, 2014, 9:17 pm

California to BKK, which FF Program?

Hi, I am new to the flyertalk forum and redeeming miles in general. My girlfriend and I are planing on flying (probably round trip from same airport) business class from California (Preferably LAX, but I don't really care which airport, I live right in the middle of CA) to BKK in May-June 2016. My question is which Frequent Flyer program should we go for? I am basically a clean slate (currently have about 2,000 AA miles and that's about it). I currently have about 30,000 SPG points and plan on using that and signing up for [whichever program I decide on]'s credit card and getting the signup bonus. So basically which program and why? I am more concerned with costs/perks etc. than I am with which planes interior looks the nicest etc. Also any other helpful information on utilizing alliances and redeeming miles etc. is more than welcome. Thank you.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 9:26 pm

Programs: AA Plat, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by shimmi
Hi, I am new to the flyertalk forum and redeeming miles in general. My girlfriend and I are planing on flying (probably round trip from same airport) business class from California (Preferably LAX, but I don't really care which airport, I live right in the middle of CA) to BKK in May-June 2016. My question is which Frequent Flyer program should we go for? ...
Welcome to FlyerTalk! Your post has been moved to the dedicated "which program" thread that is stickied at the top of the forum.

Please note that you will probably get better advice if you post a completed questionnaire (see wiki at top of page).

Good luck and safe travels!

~Moderator
Old Aug 21, 2014, 9:41 am

Hi,

Hoping to get some advice here based on my responses below. I am happy to join any program provided it can be justified. If it helps at all, I am intending to fly to Europe from SIN/KUL in the middle of next month on Business Class (if I can find a reasonably priced fare), so maybe that could come into the consideration of what FFP I should join.

(1) What is most important to you in a FFP?
(upgrades on travel, priority services when flying the airline, extra baggage allowance, good award redemption rates, better award access, free - discounted lounge access, etc.)
Reply: Free/discounted lounge access, and great value redemption rates on either economy/business, upgrades on travel.

(2) How many miles do you usually fly each year & in what class? How many flights/sectors?
(<25000, 25000-50000, >50000 miles - <25, 25-50, >50 flights?)
Reply: <25000 miles, <25 sectors (probably about 6 sectors per year for a total of about 15000 miles?)

(3) What types of fares do you usually buy ?
(First, Business, Premium economy, Economy, cheapest)
Reply: Mostly economy/cheapest, sometimes business if travelling with parents

(4) Can you choose your airlines and/or class of service? Do you travel for work and/or pleasure?
Reply: Yes I can choose my airlines/class of service. I travel only for pleasure.

(5) Which routes do you fly most often
(US Domestic, Transpacific, Kangaroo, in Asia etc)
Reply: SYD-MEL, SYD-KUL, SYD-HKG, SYD-SIN, KUL-HKG

(6) What is your home airport?
(SFO, SCL, London LHR, HKG, Singapore SIN etc.)
Reply: Sydney SYD

(7) Do you have FFP status of any kind in an airline? What is it? Do you have any miles banked in a FFP?
(AA Executive Platinum, UA 1K, LAN Comodoro, etc)
Reply: Asia Miles & Green Marco Polo Club Member, AirAsia Big (I'm assuming AirAsia is very insignificant here), Qantas Frequent Flyer Bronze, Virgin Velocity (whatever their lowest tier is)

(8) Preferred Airlines
Reply: No real preference. I am a cost conscious flyer and don't have a particular bias towards a particular airline. If I were to pick based on how often I fly with them, it would have to be:
1) AirAsia/AirAsia X
2) Jetstar (Australia)
3) Cathay Pacific
4) Jetstar Asia/Malaysia Airlines/whoever else is cheap
And this order is purely down to the routes I fly. Not because I have a particular bias towards any of them.

Other possibly relevant information: I would like to be able to redeem fares mostly between Australia and Asia, intra-Australia or Australia to Europe/North America. I am happy to earn points through signing up for a credit card too.
Old Aug 21, 2014, 5:49 pm

Please suggest

1. Most important goals: upgrades followed by lounge access
2. How many Miles: <25000 Segments: <25 (borderline on both)
3. What fares: economy
4. Can choose airlines: yes Class of service:no Business/Pleasure: 50/50
5. Which Routes: LAX->DFW; LAX->BOS,JFK; LAX -> BKK, LAX->Europe
6. Home airport: LAX
7: Status: Nearing UA Silver via RewardPlus, have 100K UR points
8: Preferred Airlines: Singapore, Thai, Lufthansa

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.