New Member Roll Call!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Member Roll Call!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2014, 7:25 pm

New Guy

Hello all. I am brand new to this website. I am not enrolled in any frequent flyer programs, but would like to start traveling more/building miles. I fly U.S. airways the most as I live in Philadelphia. I hope to learn as much as I can as I start to build miles and travel a lot more for fun.

Last edited by ccubed33; Jan 1, 2014 at 7:59 pm
Old Jan 1, 2014, 9:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I've been wandering around the forum for a couple of months now and have found myself accessing it daily (yikes!). With the new year, I figured I may as well start the year off right--as an FT member! I love to travel and am always looking for new places to visit. I trust that I will learn a lot from reading the many posts in this forum!
Old Jan 2, 2014, 11:46 am

Rotate

Looking forward to learning and sharing.
Old Jan 2, 2014, 1:31 pm

Programs: AA, SPG, Marriott
Hello from California. Bill here - Just joined today after finding this forum the other day. Haven't got to spend much time digging around here yet, but looking forward to learning here. I'm fairly new to the points/miles game and have not yet redeemed any for travel, but am currently carrying Aadvantage, SPG personal and business, and Marriott. I originally joined Aadvantage because my wife and I are flying to Alabama for her graduation and wanted to pay for our tickets that way, but I've read a couple places that it's not really "worth" redeeming miles for domestic flights. Our ten year anniversary is about 18 months away, so considering saving the miles for a trip to Australia or New Zealand instead.
Old Jan 2, 2014, 3:38 pm

Hiya all, greetings from the Netherlands!

I'll be flying a bit more, due to starting studies in the USA. As I found myself checking this place out more and more often, I decided to register as well Looking forward to meeting you all!
Old Jan 2, 2014, 6:13 pm

Programs: United 1K, American Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold
Ruhr's introduction

Hi folks!

I have been lurking for a while and decided it was time to post.

I live in Philadelphia, PA, USA and I am a United fiend! I had an incredible 2013 with good credit card mileage bonuses, and good travel experiences, with making United's Silver and then Gold elite levels, as well as frequenting United Club airport lounges and enjoying first class upgrades. I've tasted the good life and I'd like more!

I've been reading the posts about mileage runs, mattress runs, and manufactured spending with sincere interest. It is my hope to connect with fellow Flyertalk members to get more hints on how to "work the system" and get better travel experiences at minimal cost.

If you have any questions, feel free to send me a message. I look forward to talking to you.

Oh, and...

Originally Posted by ccubed33
I fly U.S. airways the most as I live in Philadelphia.
A special shout-out to you, ccubed33, I'm a new member just like you and I'm based in Philadelphia too. Drop me a line.

Regards,

Ruhr
Old Jan 2, 2014, 9:58 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, United Gold
Hey everyone! New here as well

Been a lurker here for over a year; currently a Diamond with Hyatt & Gold with United. Feel free to message me with any questions about these.

I live in India, and if anyone needs travel tips, message away!
Old Jan 2, 2014, 10:07 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus, Hyatt Platinum
Hi everyone,

I've been reading this forum for a month or so and finally decided to register today.

I'm in Chicago and I'm hoping to travel more this year than in past years, so I have much to learn.
Old Jan 2, 2014, 10:25 pm

Hello everyone.

I've been reading this forum for quite a long time now so I thought I'd finally join.

I'm 14 years old and I live in Miami but I fly with my Father a lot and I'm quite a huge avgeek. Looking forward to meeting you all.
Old Jan 3, 2014, 12:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by idiosncratichris
Hello all!

Brand new member here (haven't even lurked for that long) and wanted to stop by and introduce myself. Can anyone recommend any essential reading for me on how to get started? I'd love to learn everything there is to know about traveling on miles and points, but everything seems so overwhelming at this point! Any help is much appreciated!

idiosncratichris
idiosncratichris I'd take a peek at http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/infor...flyertalk.html lots to link from there.

Originally Posted by Graves
Hello all, my name is Graves, and I joined because I got a taste of the good life business traveling and qualifying for United Silver last year. I then heard about MR on NPR, and decided that silver was just the start. I expect to hit gold just based on normal business travel, but reaching 1K and beyond is the ultimate goal. Looking forward to learning a lot, racking up the miles, and hopefully making a few friends a long the way. Thanks for having this place.
Kinda scary that MR was on NPR

Welcome Graves to Flyertalk. Lots of us hit top tier on just leisure, so having work take care some of the EQM's can help ^

Originally Posted by parula6
Hey, just found Flyertalk and joined -- looks like a wonderful forum. I'm USA-based and travel internationally about once a year (usually to Australasia), as unfortunately that's all the time and $$$ I can afford. I look forward to learning how to do so much more efficiently from all the savvy folks here, as I need to go to Manila in July 2014. And Happy New Year, everybody!
Happy New Years to you parula6 and all our new members!

I'm looking at taking a trip to OZ as well- having a bank of miles can help, if you find the space.

Originally Posted by WISLUGGO
Greetings from snowy Wisconsin! Just joined FT as I am new to the miles/points game, and the bug has bitten HARD. My wife and I will be taking a trip this fall (our trip of a lifetime): ORD - NRT - BKK - SYD - ICN - ORD. All business class thanks to a friend helping me buy the starpoints and booking the ticket through US Air prior to merger.

Since then we have gotten our CSP and our Ink Bold to help offset the hotel expenses...see, I told you it bit HARD.

Looking forward to learning a bunch here!
WISLUGGO Welcome!

Snow is exciting, its fun to recreate in, but its more fun to escape form. Sounds like you have quite the trip set up. Enjoy.

Originally Posted by Blue87turbo
Hello everyone! Finally got around to creating an account. Gonna try and learn a few things to maximize my travel experience. Right now I'm working as a consultant on the East Coast, and this year we are allowed to use our flights home on alternate destinations. Lots of trips to the West Coast planned! My goal for the year is to get Gold status on United by June/July. Then maybe do some overseas traveling. Looking forward to my time here!
Blue87turbo sounds like a sweet gig. I have a friend that can position to different places, as long as the cost is reasonable. Overseas travel is nice with carriers that are part of an alliance due to lounge access and such.

Originally Posted by AudreyWants2Travel
Just joined! My friend directed me to this site after I asked how he got 10 first class tickets to Hawaii from Washington, DC for 800 dollars. I'm extremely intrigued by all of this and also a little lost at the language. Hoping I can learn a lot simply by poking around and reading until I am ready to test the waters myself. Super exciting stuff here and kudos to the founders who made this all possible!
That was an incredible deal that I missed out on. AudreyWants2Travel I wish you the best of luck in securing something epic like that. Be sure to follow: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/mileage-run-deals-372/

Originally Posted by ccubed33
Hello all. I am brand new to this website. I am not enrolled in any frequent flyer programs, but would like to start traveling more/building miles. I fly U.S. airways the most as I live in Philadelphia. I hope to learn as much as I can as I start to build miles and travel a lot more for fun.
Welcome ccubed33! PHL is a historic town and have been several times since AS started service ex-SEA.

Originally Posted by WhyNotTravel
I've been wandering around the forum for a couple of months now and have found myself accessing it daily (yikes!). With the new year, I figured I may as well start the year off right--as an FT member! I love to travel and am always looking for new places to visit. I trust that I will learn a lot from reading the many posts in this forum!
WhyNotTravel great handle! This forum contains soo much information its amazing- and can be a bit daunting.

Originally Posted by 2014andBeyond
Looking forward to learning and sharing.
2014andBeyond Lots to learn and contribute. Flyertalk is a work in progress.

Originally Posted by Cateacher
Hello from California. Bill here - Just joined today after finding this forum the other day. Haven't got to spend much time digging around here yet, but looking forward to learning here. I'm fairly new to the points/miles game and have not yet redeemed any for travel, but am currently carrying Aadvantage, SPG personal and business, and Marriott. I originally joined Aadvantage because my wife and I are flying to Alabama for her graduation and wanted to pay for our tickets that way, but I've read a couple places that it's not really "worth" redeeming miles for domestic flights. Our ten year anniversary is about 18 months away, so considering saving the miles for a trip to Australia or New Zealand instead.
Sounds like Cateacher has a great plan. And who knows- with the help of FT you might be able to take a 'smaller' trip in 6 months...just for the heck of it

Originally Posted by Lquidfire
Hiya all, greetings from the Netherlands!

I'll be flying a bit more, due to starting studies in the USA. As I found myself checking this place out more and more often, I decided to register as well Looking forward to meeting you all!
Lquidfire welcome. We have many folks on FT who are students traveling trying to maximize the value of miles. I've only had connections in AMS myself thus far

Originally Posted by Ruhr
Hi folks!

I have been lurking for a while and decided it was time to post.

I live in Philadelphia, PA, USA and I am a United fiend! I had an incredible 2013 with good credit card mileage bonuses, and good travel experiences, with making United's Silver and then Gold elite levels, as well as frequenting United Club airport lounges and enjoying first class upgrades. I've tasted the good life and I'd like more!

I've been reading the posts about mileage runs, mattress runs, and manufactured spending with sincere interest. It is my hope to connect with fellow Flyertalk members to get more hints on how to "work the system" and get better travel experiences at minimal cost.

If you have any questions, feel free to send me a message. I look forward to talking to you.

Oh, and...

A special shout-out to you, ccubed33, I'm a new member just like you and I'm based in Philadelphia too. Drop me a line.

Regards,

Ruhr
Ruhr Flyertalk is travel site of Brotherly Love... well that came out kind of crude. But if others have a tip we try to share to the benefit of all members. Check out http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/communitybuzz-380/ for our meetups.

Originally Posted by stupiddream
Hey everyone! New here as well

Been a lurker here for over a year; currently a Diamond with Hyatt & Gold with United. Feel free to message me with any questions about these.

I live in India, and if anyone needs travel tips, message away!
Welcome to the posting side of Flyertalk stupiddream. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/india-478/ can always use help from a local

Originally Posted by Travel4Points
Hi everyone,

I've been reading this forum for a month or so and finally decided to register today.

I'm in Chicago and I'm hoping to travel more this year than in past years, so I have much to learn.
Home to my 3rd favorite Chinatown in the US, Welcome to Flyertalk Travel4Points
2014 is the year of travel

Originally Posted by John Anderson
Hello everyone.

I've been reading this forum for quite a long time now so I thought I'd finally join.

I'm 14 years old and I live in Miami but I fly with my Father a lot and I'm quite a huge avgeek. Looking forward to meeting you all.
Welcome John Anderson. Aviation Geek describes a lot of us here
Old Jan 3, 2014, 8:10 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, SPG Gold,Hilton Gold, Southwest Companion Pass
Hello, I am from NY and have been trying to figure out how to use this forum for months now, but it seems I am finally on my way.

I became curious about miles and points when during a few boring moments while getting a pedi, I called up my new Southwest account info on my cell phone. I saw something about a companion pass?! Really?! I was intrigued, and read everything I could on the subject. I did whatever I had to in order to qualify for the CP every year since. WOW!

I then began looking further at airlines that travel internationally to give us a broader spectrum of options, and to see what was possible for us. I was hooked!

I attended the Chicago seminar last October. Learned many great things, and met a lot of amazing helpful people.

I look forward to meeting people on FT with the same passion for travel as I have.
Old Jan 3, 2014, 1:35 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Virgin America Gold, BA Silver, Marriott Silver, IHG Platinum
Hi all, I'm from San Francisco, am new to FT and pretty new to mile/points earning. I have a friend who is obsessed with miles/points and always travels in total luxury on the cheap, I have a lot to learn I'm a former extreme couponer so this is a perfect new hobby for my personality!

I'm currently BA Bronze (just lost my Silver status in Oct, wah!), Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, IHG Platinum (and the various equivalent status matches with Carlson and Best Western). I've never churned a credit card but 2014 may be the year for me to start

My goal trip this year is a week in the Maldives in Oct or Nov (with 1 obligatory week in India preceeding it):
- Husband and I have opened up the Hilton Reserve cards to get 4 nights free and may end up getting the Surpass one to cover an additional night. Let me know if there's a smarter and faster way to rack up HHonors.
- Probably going to sign up for the Sapphire Preferred card in a month or so.
- Not sure what to do in terms of the flights, lots of alliance routing options and I need to take into consideration the requirement to spend a week prior in India to visit friends. I have 240K Avios, but not sure if that's the best use to get to India/Maldives or if I should focus on racking up points to spend on StarAlliance partners like Singapore Air.

I've had no luck finding Vanilla reloads in SF, so if anyone has pointers they're willing to share, I'm allllll ears!
Old Jan 3, 2014, 3:57 pm

Well, here's my first post. Just saying hello, I guess. I figure I'll post more specific questions elsewhere. Awesome forum, though. Kinda makes my head hurt with all the posts, so I'm working on narrowing down my inquiries and not worrying about all the stuff (mostly abbreviations) I don't understand.
Old Jan 3, 2014, 11:28 pm

I got my first credit card in September, after being on a cash only basis for 20 years. Boy did I miss out! Flyertalk has been instrumental in my learning curve. I only hope I can contribute something back as I move up the learning curve.
Simple stats: 7 cards since September, 450k points accumulated, running around 10k/20k points mfg spend/month. Mucho gracias Flyertalk!
Old Jan 4, 2014, 12:19 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by rikkigirl
Hi all, I'm from San Francisco, am new to FT and pretty new to mile/points earning. I have a friend who is obsessed with miles/points and always travels in total luxury on the cheap, I have a lot to learn I'm a former extreme couponer so this is a perfect new hobby for my personality!

I'm currently BA Bronze (just lost my Silver status in Oct, wah!), Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, IHG Platinum (and the various equivalent status matches with Carlson and Best Western). I've never churned a credit card but 2014 may be the year for me to start

My goal trip this year is a week in the Maldives in Oct or Nov (with 1 obligatory week in India preceeding it):
- Husband and I have opened up the Hilton Reserve cards to get 4 nights free and may end up getting the Surpass one to cover an additional night. Let me know if there's a smarter and faster way to rack up HHonors.
- Probably going to sign up for the Sapphire Preferred card in a month or so.
- Not sure what to do in terms of the flights, lots of alliance routing options and I need to take into consideration the requirement to spend a week prior in India to visit friends. I have 240K Avios, but not sure if that's the best use to get to India/Maldives or if I should focus on racking up points to spend on StarAlliance partners like Singapore Air.

I've had no luck finding Vanilla reloads in SF, so if anyone has pointers they're willing to share, I'm allllll ears!
Wow sounds like you have quite the collection rikkigirl. I've never dove into manufactured spend so can't help there. Hopefully FT can fine tune your plans to further maximize your value ^

Originally Posted by MadRobin
Hello, I am from NY and have been trying to figure out how to use this forum for months now, but it seems I am finally on my way.

I became curious about miles and points when during a few boring moments while getting a pedi, I called up my new Southwest account info on my cell phone. I saw something about a companion pass?! Really?! I was intrigued, and read everything I could on the subject. I did whatever I had to in order to qualify for the CP every year since. WOW!

I then began looking further at airlines that travel internationally to give us a broader spectrum of options, and to see what was possible for us. I was hooked!

I attended the Chicago seminar last October. Learned many great things, and met a lot of amazing helpful people.

I look forward to meeting people on FT with the same passion for travel as I have.
Welcome to Flyertalk MadRobin. You'll find there is soo much more beyond WN.

Originally Posted by paulgerald
Well, here's my first post. Just saying hello, I guess. I figure I'll post more specific questions elsewhere. Awesome forum, though. Kinda makes my head hurt with all the posts, so I'm working on narrowing down my inquiries and not worrying about all the stuff (mostly abbreviations) I don't understand.
Parts of Flyertalk make my head spin even paulgerald. Check out our Glossary for more detail:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/glossary.php

Originally Posted by Rossir
I got my first credit card in September, after being on a cash only basis for 20 years. Boy did I miss out! Flyertalk has been instrumental in my learning curve. I only hope I can contribute something back as I move up the learning curve.
Simple stats: 7 cards since September, 450k points accumulated, running around 10k/20k points mfg spend/month. Mucho gracias Flyertalk!
Rossir welcome to the Credit Card Club one component of Flyertalk ^ That is quite the run to get started!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.