Reload this Page >

Mileage/Award Ticket Brokers: Are they legit? [consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 23, 2015, 11:33 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aBroadAbroad
Please read this wiki before posting questions or comments.
Are they legit? Short answer: No

Virtually all award programs prohibit the sale, barter and purchase of awards and/or miles (except through channels specifically identified in the program T&C and/or endorsed by the program). Many airlines are known to audit their FFPs for such fraudulent transactions, and to aggressively enforce their programs' rules.

By definition, so-called "mileage" brokers are not legitimate. It is important to understand that they do not actually broker miles, but rather act as a middle-man to facilitate the purchase of award tickets. The seller redeems miles from his/her account for an award in a buyer's name. The broker pays the seller on behalf of the buyer. A clear audit trail is left in the process.

Consequences

If this activity is identified by the airline, the seller will lose any miles remaining in his/her account, the account will be terminated, and the seller will be banned from participating in that airline's program. The seller may also be subject to payment of monetary damages. Buyers, when attempting to travel on a purchased award, may be denied boarding at any point on the itinerary. At best, a special trip might not happen. At worst, the buyer might be stranded halfway around the world and forced to purchase a significantly more expensive one-way ticket in order to get home.

Moderator Note

Please be reminded that FlyerTalk Rules prohibit posts that support, encourage or promote fraudulent activities against individuals or companies.
Posts naming specific mileage brokers and/or containing links to broker websites
may be redacted or deleted.
Print Wikipost

Mileage/Award Ticket Brokers: Are they legit? [consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2013, 4:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AlohaDaveKennedy
Indeed, if Cardinal Fang catches you he will lob The Holy Handgrenade of Antioch into your account.
1) No worries. My Avios are worth more than they're offering in cash (and potential headaches).

2) It's fun to test anonymous testimonials and report.
Old Jul 30, 2013, 10:33 am

Programs: AA, MR, United, Delta, Kris Flyer, Flying blue
Originally Posted by Simpleton
Lol not at all. I've gotten these calls before, it's just to make sure that you authorized the transfer and your miles weren't stolen. AmEx doesn't have a department auditing for miles sales as far as I know.
100 percent. The fraud department just wants to make sure your account wasn't hacked. Just let them know everything's cool and that will be the end.

A

Originally Posted by mensday
I didn't realize that this was against their terms and transfered 50,000 points to a mileage broker from my wife's account. Now she has two messages from the membership rewards fraud department. Would it be best to just be honest and state we didn't know this was not permitted? I don't want her to be blacklisted.
Let me give you a little insight to your situation. MR points was transferred out of your account to any one of the many mileage programs attached to it. Amex does not shut down accounts for this. The forums that everyone is quoting is credit cards that have their own mileage attached to it for e.g. United and AA CC cards. Being that you are dealing with points, just let them know that you had it transferred out. I had the same experience with alot more points then that. They just want to make sure no one stole your points.

Hope this helps.

A

Last edited by beckoa; Feb 23, 2015 at 3:30 am Reason: Combine consecutive replies // Removing URL's
Old Jul 30, 2013, 7:05 pm

Sorry if this is a naive question - but does anyone know if this site is legit? They claim to be legal but I imagine the airlines dont take too kindly to people selling miles. I am 30,000 miles short on a ticket to Japan and this would seem to be a great idea - if only it was for real.

Last edited by beckoa; Feb 23, 2015 at 3:31 am Reason: Removing URL's
Old Jul 30, 2013, 7:52 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, Marriot Lifetime Gold
Most mileage programs have specific rules against buying and selling miles. Be prepared to have your ticket cancelled and all your miles frozen if you go this route
Old Aug 20, 2013, 2:41 pm

Programs: Starwood/Hyatt/IHG-PLAT/Hilton-DIA
Question Has anybody used them? Are they legit?

Received a decent quote from these guys but did a google search and couldn't find feedback for them.

Anybody have any sucessful transactions with these guys?

I am being very cautious as I want to make sure they are reputable.

Thanks in advance, much appreciated any insight with this company and your experiences.

Last edited by beckoa; Feb 23, 2015 at 3:34 am Reason: Removing URL's
Old Aug 21, 2013, 2:43 am

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
If you decide to do business with mileage brokers....

Originally Posted by rb23lb
Anybody have any sucessful transactions with these guys?

I am being very cautious as I want to make sure they are reputable.
We all know speeding has consequences, some still choose to go over the (speed) limit as their hearts desire.

Whoever is doing business with mileage brokers should feel comfortable enough to take his/her own risk, because selling miles is in direct violation of TOS of every FFP I know.

See these existing threads for once-too-many discussion on this very topic:

1. On the selling part: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/miles...les-legal.html

Take a special note from our knowledgeable forum mod's early reply in this thread:
Originally Posted by mia
If you use "Search this Forum" with the keywords: mileage broker you will find several previous discussions of this topic.

Mileage Brokers cannot buy your miles, instead they will instruct you to redeem an award from your frequent flyer account in the name of the buyer. This creates a clear audit trail from the buyer to you. The buyer is at risk of being denied boarding. You are at risk of losing your mileage account balance.

Last edited by beckoa; Feb 23, 2015 at 3:35 am Reason: Removing URL's
Old Aug 22, 2013, 10:32 pm

Programs: UA MM / LT Gold (LT UC), DL SM, AA PLT (AC), OZ, KE; GE and Korean SES (like GE); Marriott Gold
This may be a stupid question, but .... Why would the airlines care as long as the miles are being used? I understand that the major airlines have some concern about the billions (trillions??) of miles waiting out there in all the FF accounts (of course DL now takes them when you die). I might think that the airlines would want the backlog of miles to be reduced. The only thing I can think of is that the airlines don't want kettles getting free trips with the money going to the broker and the seller of the miles rather than them; however, the miles were acquired by buying tickets (or using CC).
Old Aug 22, 2013, 11:21 pm

Originally Posted by relangford
This may be a stupid question, but .... Why would the airlines care as long as the miles are being used? I understand that the major airlines have some concern about the billions (trillions??) of miles waiting out there in all the FF accounts (of course DL now takes them when you die). I might think that the airlines would want the backlog of miles to be reduced. The only thing I can think of is that the airlines don't want kettles getting free trips with the money going to the broker and the seller of the miles rather than them; however, the miles were acquired by buying tickets (or using CC).
Exactly, that's why I actually enjoy selling my miles (aside from the obvious cash incentive). They would rather (1) your miles go unused and (2) If someone's stuck with a list minute ticket now they can more easily access miles instead of paying an insanely jacked up price. They tell you you earn something, but you can't even use it! What the heck?

I will gladly go against their terms any day!
Old Aug 27, 2013, 12:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by relangford
This may be a stupid question, but .... Why would the airlines care as long as the miles are being used?
Because they don't particularly want a fungible market in airline miles that makes them closer to currency in terms of liquidity- mileage programs are loyalty programs meant to make you make decisions based on your mileage balance and perks as opposed to costs of the flight, not cashback that you cash out to the highest bidder.

Seriously, don't you think if airlines wanted miles to be easily exchanged for cash at favorable rates... they'd have already done it?
Old Aug 30, 2013, 11:28 am

I have used a mileage broker many times and have been consistently very happy. They pay right away, respond to emails quickly, and are a real pleasure to deal with.

Last edited by beckoa; Feb 23, 2015 at 3:38 am Reason: Removing URL's
Old Sep 13, 2013, 1:22 pm

Anyone else just sell their miles?

I realize that you are not getting full potential, but if you don't travel much..this hobby can be lucrative just selling the sign up bonus miles. I'm been getting about an avg of 1.3 cents for my UA, AA and UR points. $650 for filling an application and a few trips to CVS..thank you very much..add a spouse to the mix and not a bad hobby at all.

Old Sep 13, 2013, 1:35 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by theplayer:21440142
I realize that you are not getting full potential, but if you don't travel much..this hobby can be lucrative just selling the sign up bonus miles. I'm been getting about an avg of 1.3 cents for my UA, AA and UR points. $650 for filling an application and a few trips to CVS..thank you very much..add a spouse to the mix and not a bad hobby at all.

No. But some ppl do, obviously. Works fine untill you get caught znd banned from the FFP, or the bank, etc
Old Sep 13, 2013, 1:46 pm

When it actually makes sense it can be lucrative. Say you have a destination in mind and a handful of UA miles, however there are no saver awards. Instead choose to sell at 1.5 cpm and book on a different carrier for a cheaper cost and pocket the additional cash. Technically a win as

1) You already had a destination in mind
2) The miles were 'worth' more cashed out than redeemed for a non-saver
3) You get MQD/PQD on the other carrier

All depends on the flexibility you have and the way you want to use your miles. If you want to lock down on a schedule, at times it is a better overall value to sell.

However of course, realize that points brokers are in this for the money as well, and they profit very nicely by using these miles and selling trips to in First/Biz to Asia/AUS and the like for a very high margin. All depends on the eye of the beholder.
Old Sep 13, 2013, 2:00 pm

Where do you sell your miles to get the best return?
Old Sep 13, 2013, 7:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
caution

Be aware that the airlines "own" your miles and you could have your account shut down if caught selling them. Food for thought.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.