Reload this Page >

PIO to OCI Conversion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

PIO to OCI Conversion

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2016, 9:39 pm

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
IndiaMike discussion here: http://www.indiamike.com/india/for-c...o-oci-t242694/
Old Feb 24, 2016, 1:48 am

Originally Posted by Indian Government Source 1
As per the Gazette of India (Part-I, Section-I) published on 09.01.2015, all the existing Persons of Indian Origin (PIO) card holder registered as such under new PIO Card scheme 2002, shall be deemed to be Overseas Citizens of India Cardholder. Again as per the Gazette of India (Part-I, Section-I) published on 30.09.2014, a PIO card issued to an applicant shall be valid for his lifetime, provided such applicant has a valid Passport.
Originally Posted by Indian Government Source 2
Last date for conversion of PIO to OCI card is 31.3.2016; after which all PIO cards would cease to be valid.
Direct contradiction.
Old Feb 24, 2016, 2:42 am

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Originally Posted by B747-437B
Direct contradiction.
^
Old Feb 25, 2016, 10:54 am

Programs: AA, SPG
Hi, I'm curious to know how you proceeded with this? The CKGS outsourcing agency in NY wants me to submit my original passport and PIO - which doesn't make any sense. Why would I need to do that?

It's frustrating.
Old Mar 10, 2016, 5:31 am

Some more clarifications that confuse the situation further, but bring a bit of enlightenment to the thought process in Babudom.

a) The "Overseas Citizen of India (OCI)" scheme has also been discontinued at the same time that the PIO scheme was discontinued. All persons who were previously classified as OCI are now classified as "OCI Card Holders". (Ed Note : This is a subtle but very key difference)

b) All former PIOs who were not previously eligible to become OCI due to different eligibility criteria can now be classified as "OCI Card Holders". The eligibility to be an OCI Card Holder is different than either that of the former OCI or former PIO scheme - it is a hybrid of the two.

c) There is no longer the requirement that the country of citizenship of an OCI Card Holder permits dual citizenship since the OCI scheme has been discontinued. It is now merely an OCI Card Holder scheme rather than an Overseas Citizenship scheme.

d) All PIO cards are considered to be converted to and treated as OCI cards automatically. The PIO card is no longer valid for travel as it is now considered to be an OCI card. Therefore it is correct that all PIO cards are not valid for travel after 31MAR16. They are also not valid for travel before 31MAR16. The PIO card no longer exists. Any document that says it is a PIO card is actually an OCI card.

e) The Central Government reserve the right to change their position regarding the former PIO cards being treated as OCI cards, so even though the former PIO card is now considered to be an OCI card that may not be the case in the future. However, any such date has not been communicated at this time.

f) The 31MAR16 deadline is the last date at which an application to convert a former PIO card that is currently considered to be an OCI card into an actual OCI card can be made for free and without reference to the revised eligibility criteria for "OCI Card Holder". A former PIO card continues to be considered as an OCI card after this date and until the Central Government decides at their sole discretion that this is no longer the case.
Old Mar 17, 2016, 8:42 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Asked the BOI folks at BOM, CCU and DEL on March 6 and 16 respectively what exactly changes for me (PIO card holder, card issued in 2002) next month: all said 'absolutely nothing, sir, you can travel with this card just like today'
Old Apr 1, 2016, 7:42 am

The last date for submission of applications for registration as OCI cardholder by the erstwhile PIO cardholders has been extended till 30th June, 2016.
Old Apr 1, 2016, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
I'm now having trouble with this.

Started prepping my application for PIO to OCI in Feb, but didn't realize they needed an original marriage certificate (wife is an OCI...that's how I got my status) and notarized statement. But I needed a new copy of my marriage certificate.

When that arrived, I put everything together, but by then, the checklist changed, and they supposedly didn't need it anymore. I called in and talked to them 3 times and they all stated to follow the new checklist exactly. Which is what I did. The checklist states a notarized joint affidavit for San Francisco only. I read the checklist over a dozen times, so I am absolutely positive of what it says. They are claiming that they can ask for anything they want beyond the list.

I am unable to get to a supervisor. I told them that I would send it in, assuming they were able to provide a shipping label to me, since they aren't asking for documents that were missing, but additional documents they never asked for. They say they will never pay shipping for anyone.

Any tips for moving forward? My inclination at this point, is to just abandon the application completely, and just use my PIO for everything going forward, since it was clear through CKGS that the switch wasn't mandatory. If I show up in Bangalore and they send me back to the US, that's fine...they clearly don't need visitors if they make people jump through hoops to even try.
Old Apr 1, 2016, 10:55 pm

Lesson: Baboos dont think. If they had ability, they would not have become baboos.

Did you remember stupidity of 10 year mutiple entry visitor visa holder can not re-enter india for few months after one visit? It took 3 years for that ultra stupid rule to go away.

If u get OCI at age 21 then for next 28 years, Baboos do not have any security concerns. But if you get OCI at age 49 then starting very next year, they have security concern and want you to get new OCI. Oh, by the way, that is only if u r getting new US passport. If u can delay getting new passport until its maturity then Baboos will sit tight on their "security concern".

List can go on...
Old Apr 2, 2016, 6:30 am

Originally Posted by emcampbe
My inclination at this point, is to just abandon the application completely, and just use my PIO for everything going forward, since it was clear through CKGS that the switch wasn't mandatory.
Please note that the switch is mandatory and automatic as the PIO scheme has been discontinued. All former PIO cards are considered to be converted to and treated as OCI cards automatically. The PIO card is no longer valid for travel as it is now considered to be an OCI card. The PIO card no longer exists. Any document that says it is a PIO card is actually an OCI card. Also please note that the OCI scheme has also been discontinued. There is a new OCI cardholder scheme which has been introduced. If you were a previous OCI holding an OCI card, then you are now considered to be an automatic OCI cardholder.

I hope this clarifies.
Old Apr 2, 2016, 7:25 am

Originally Posted by B747-437B
Please note that the switch is mandatory and automatic as the PIO scheme has been discontinued. All former PIO cards are considered to be converted to and treated as OCI cards automatically. The PIO card is no longer valid for travel as it is now considered to be an OCI card. The PIO card no longer exists. Any document that says it is a PIO card is actually an OCI card. Also please note that the OCI scheme has also been discontinued. There is a new OCI cardholder scheme which has been introduced. If you were a previous OCI holding an OCI card, then you are now considered to be an automatic OCI cardholder.

I hope this clarifies.
Just entered with PIO - no questions asked.
Old Apr 2, 2016, 11:03 am

Originally Posted by SuperFlyBoy
Just entered with PIO - no questions asked.
There is no such thing as PIO card anymore - all PIO cards are automatically converted to and considered to be OCI cards. Therefore, you entered with an OCI card that just happened to have PIO written on the front. The PIO card is no longer valid for travel.
Old Apr 6, 2016, 5:30 am

My wife is a valid PIO holder. We plan to travel to India in June 2016. Return date is July 11th.
Does the PIO becomes and invalid document after 30/06/2016
OR
30/06/2016 is the deadline to file an application for OCI (in exchange/lieu for PIO).

Can my wife travel to India on valid PIO or she needs to apply for tourist visa?

Thanks
Old Apr 6, 2016, 5:32 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
She can continue to travel to/from India with her existing PIO card. No need to do anything.
Old Apr 10, 2016, 1:51 am

Originally Posted by vcclt
Can my wife travel to India on valid PIO or she needs to apply for tourist visa?
There is no such thing as a valid PIO card any more. All former PIO cards are now converted to OCI cards and remain valid for use as OCI cards.

The deadline is only if you want to change the former PIO card into a card that actually says OCI for free. At this time, there is no benefit to doing that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.