Reload this Page >

PIO to OCI Conversion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

PIO to OCI Conversion

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2016, 2:51 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by oliver2002
Asked the BOI folks at BOM, CCU and DEL on March 6 and 16 respectively what exactly changes for me (PIO card holder, card issued in 2002) next month: all said 'absolutely nothing, sir, you can travel with this card just like today'
Leaving DEL on April 22, the officer suddenly told me 'you have to get an OCI, starting June this PIO card is invalid'
Old Jun 5, 2016, 3:19 am

^^^ In March, I had similar experience at Mumbai Airport. Immigration officer told me to get OCI.On returning, I did a checked online and decided to apply for OCI.

Hopeful this is useful for someone wanting to apply in future.

OCI in lieu of PIO

I applied for OCI in lieu of PIO, learnt a few things. I did 3 trips to VFS to finally submit.

Counter staff said people do 4 trips and still documents is not accepted.

VFS will contact if any more information is required, takes about 6 -8 weeks. Will receive a PIO style card.

Online application

Be prepared with documents - passport, pio card, know your indian address, age of father, mother or any other close relative, photos scanned, signature photo , documents scanned.

The website landing pages says application photo should be 2x2 inches and signature photo should be 1:3

After login, The maths and science knowledge of the applicant is tested. Like what is the colour of sun? Which number is greater 1 or 7?

Part A, B is ok, photo should be less than 30kb {Tip: use Ms Paint, worked for me} . Part C -pdf documents should be less than 500kb.

Initially you get a temporary registration number and on completion an application number.

Its comes in the email, in my case when i filled the partially completed form, i received email with details with registration number.

Documents submission:

- Application Photo - 2x2 inches - if you are taking photo, remind the person it's for India. Scan and use the same to upload. Saves hassle later.

- Signature photo - Photo of your signature, Size - 3:1, { Tip : signature on blank paper and take photo with mobile if you have good resolution}.

I provided these documents

- Application form ( print after filling online) with 1 photo thats fits the size of the box and sign under.
- Application Checklist
- Form U { hand written}
- Foreign Passport - 1 copy
- Citizenship Certificate (in case of Australia) - 1 copy {Self Attested}
- Old Indian passport - 1 copy {Photo page, any observation and cancellation of citizenship, last page}
- PIO card - 1 copy {photo page, observation, last page}
- If married / divorced, they may ask for certificate - 1 copy {notarised }
- If name is different in any document { statutory declaration- notarised}

I signed all the documents in front of staff. After having submitted my documents, felt like I passed exam when the papers got accepted. :lol:
Old Jun 20, 2016, 1:36 am

^^^ After applying on 13th May, Received OCI card within 42 days.

Old Jun 21, 2016, 2:11 am

Confusion continues.

Wife and her mother both arrived in Delhi with the erstwhile PIO cards. Both cards have now been endorsed as "LIFETIME VALIDITY" by High Commission of India in Lilongwe, which has also confirmed that there is no need to make a switch to OCI card.

At adjacent immigration desks, one officer said that the erstwhile PIO card was no longer valid and the other officer said that it was. Argument ensued between the two officers. One eventually rummaged through some papers and found a circular which satisfied both of them and everyone was allowed to pass.

When asked, they advised that "for now" there is no mandatory requirement to convert to a physical OCI card anytime, but that there has been a requirement multiple times in the past which has been superceded and/or revoked, so there is no definitive answer as to what should be done for the future.
Old Jun 21, 2016, 5:50 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Originally Posted by B747-437B
At adjacent immigration desks, one officer said that the erstwhile PIO card was no longer valid and the other officer said that it was. Argument ensued between the two officers. One eventually rummaged through some papers and found a circular which satisfied both of them and everyone was allowed to pass.
Would be great to get hold of that circular.@:-)

The CGI in SF has a nice text published on their website:

Consulate General of India, San Francisco
22 May 2015

It has been brought to our attention that rumors are spreading among Indian Diaspora community members that PIO card holders are not able to travel to India with PIO CARD after June 18th, 2015.

2. As you are all aware that the Government of India has withdrawn the PIO Card scheme and replaced it with OCI scheme for all Indian origin US passport holders. As part of the exercise of bringing about an uniformity in the scheme, all PIO card holders were intimated to get their PIO card converted into OCI card at the earliest as per instructions issued by the Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA). As per these earlier instructions, initially for a period of 3 months, the submission of the application for OCI card in lieu of PIO card was voluntary. However, after the initial period of three months, the conversion of the cards was to be made mandatory. The persons were to apply for OCI card in lieu of PIO card only at https://passport.gov.in/oci.

3. Considering the concerns and issues related to this conversion from PIO card to OCI card, it has been decided that PIO cards already issued continue to be valid documents. Applying for OCI cards in lieu of PIO cards at the website indicated above will be optional for the applicant until further instructions. All concerned are hereby informed that there is no deadline for conversion from PIO card to OCI cards. However, we urge all PIO card holders to apply for change to OCI cards for uniformity sake. However, when passports are changed / renewed, applicants may apply for miscellaneous services to update their passport details in the OCI cards.

4. As conveyed earlier, endorsements stating that existing PIO cards are valid for life would be made at the first immigration point with which the card holder comes into contact, be it an Indian Mission, an FRRO or an immigration check-point. These endorsements/stamps would, however, not be mandatory.
http://www.cgisf.org/page/display/30/231

Last edited by oliver2002; Jun 21, 2016 at 5:55 am
Old Jul 20, 2016, 7:58 pm

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Would be great to get hold of that circular.@:-)

The CGI in SF has a nice text published on their website:

http://www.cgisf.org/page/display/30/231
I was just warned that I would have to convert/obtain an OCI based on the PIO before the "end of the year"? by the exit immigration officer...

If I didn't do it by the end of the year, then I would have to "pay for it".

So, according to him, it was free until the "end of the year" to convert to OCI...
Old Jul 21, 2016, 12:53 am

Yep, in preparation for my trip to CCU later this month via China I double checked the situation with my local CGI. Its seems the MHA has now announced that the conversion is free and you should do it till end of the year. So I bit the bullet and tried the process. Unlike koresh in the US, here you just fill in the form online, print it, attach self attested copies of the PIO card and passport to the form with the picture and mail it to the local CGI. A week later I got a notification from the 'helpdesk-oci' @gov.in that the application was complete and the online status tracker showed it was queued for printing. ^

No fees charged at all. ^
Old Jul 21, 2016, 9:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by SuperFlyBoy
I was just warned that I would have to convert/obtain an OCI based on the PIO before the "end of the year"? by the exit immigration officer...

If I didn't do it by the end of the year, then I would have to "pay for it".

So, according to him, it was free until the "end of the year" to convert to OCI...
If its the end of the year now, that's another deadline extension. Believe it was originally May, then June, now appears to be the end of the year. When I last went to India in Dec, was told my the officer that I should move to OCI - and he didn't stamp my PIO with lifetime validity, as I was told should have happened.

IMO, I got it done in the spring. Maybe I could continue to use my PIO, but honestly, have no interest in getting into a debate when I come into India next time, or the time after that, or the time after that. Who knows even who long this policy will last - for all I know as someone not born in India, they'll make me apply for something else in a couple of years down the line, and my 'lifetime' OCI won't work anymore.

It was a bit of a PITA, but it was done, and know I don't have to do it anymore. Done through Cox and Kings in the US - only cost was the ~$30, maybe less, 'processing fee' from C&K and shipping costs.
Old Jul 21, 2016, 10:43 am

I'm more concerned with some airline employee deciding I can't travel to India (or rather board the plane) because they don't understand the finer points of the PIOCI card conundrum
Old Jul 22, 2016, 1:48 am

Programs: BA Gold (OW Emerald) & Jet Airways - Thank goodness i never got started.......most awful FF program
Never bothered with a PIO card as I went straight in with an OCI card.

I realised it was nothing more than a glorified lifetime visa the moment they pasted your foreign nationality and foreign passport onto the certificate, and that you still needed to travel with your foreign passport and that it would still be stamped on and out of India.

But the pain free travel to India for 10 years and counting has been totally worth it..........who can remember the days when you had to apply for visas resulting in a very early morning to wait in line for hours so that we got a taste of Mata Bharat's paperwork and officialdom at the consular and visa section at your local mission?

Last edited by d3vski; Jul 22, 2016 at 1:53 am
Old Jul 30, 2016, 3:32 pm

Originally Posted by d3vski
Never bothered with a PIO card as I went straight in with an OCI card.

I realised it was nothing more than a glorified lifetime visa the moment they pasted your foreign nationality and foreign passport onto the certificate, and that you still needed to travel with your foreign passport and that it would still be stamped on and out of India.

But the pain free travel to India for 10 years and counting has been totally worth it..........who can remember the days when you had to apply for visas resulting in a very early morning to wait in line for hours so that we got a taste of Mata Bharat's paperwork and officialdom at the consular and visa section at your local mission?
If you got OCI card at age over 50, it is truly (so far) life long. Even if you live up to 100 (aout 50 years after getting it), there is no "security concerns"

If you get OCI in your early 20s, there is no "security concerns" for next 25 or so years.

But if you got it at say age 49, very next year "security concern" starts. Of course, it can wait until you get new US passport but once you get new US passport, this suppposedly lifelong OCI card is no longer valid. You have to get new one issued (By INdia ministry, consulate/agency here in US cant re-issue it)

No sensible explanation has ever been provided by idiots in Indian govt, (Congress or BJP) for this idiotic requirement. PM Modi was given heads up about this during his meeting with NRI leaders during his NYC visit but there is no sign of "achhe din" on this topic.
Old Aug 2, 2016, 8:53 am

Had an interesting experience this week. I had applied or the OCI card early July and mailed my paperwork to the local CGI who put the process into motion in late July. I was in China before coming to India and saw that my OCI card had been apparently printed and dispatched that week.

When I arrived in CCU the officer was confused. My passport number had already been associated to the new OCI card, but I had a PIO card with me. He understood what had happened, but had no way to please the system to let me into the country without scanning the OCI card. A colleague showed him how to override that and I was let into the country.

Last night when leaving DEL the same problem. Computer says I have an OCI and wants to see it. Again BoI officer has to employ a trick to override the system.

Re clueless airline employees: in KMG the MU checkin agents were clueless what a PIO card was. 'You Indian?' 'This not OCI card, you need Visa' etc. In the end the supervisor OKed me to board.
Old Oct 19, 2016, 5:27 am

Programs: BA Gold (OW Emerald) & Jet Airways - Thank goodness i never got started.......most awful FF program
Had an interesting experience this week. I had applied or the OCI card early July and mailed my paperwork to the local CGI who put the process into motion in late July. I was in China before coming to India and saw that my OCI card had been apparently printed and dispatched that week.

When I arrived in CCU the officer was confused. My passport number had already been associated to the new OCI card, but I had a PIO card with me. He understood what had happened, but had no way to please the system to let me into the country without scanning the OCI card. A colleague showed him how to override that and I was let into the country.

Last night when leaving DEL the same problem. Computer says I have an OCI and wants to see it. Again BoI officer has to employ a trick to override the system.

Re clueless airline employees: in KMG the MU checkin agents were clueless what a PIO card was. 'You Indian?' 'This not OCI card, you need Visa' etc. In the end the supervisor OKed me to board.
Had a similar issue. Arrived in India on my second passport which had been pasted with a very specific visa. The Immigration Officer was flummoxed as to what to do. 20 minutes later he blurted out his frustration on me and asked why I had got a visa when I had an OCI!

The answer to that is because the Indian authorities do not recognise my OCI for the specific purpose of entry!

Defeats the whole point of being "Multi-Entry, Multi-Purpose, Lifelong Visa".
Old Oct 19, 2016, 6:46 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by d3vski
Had a similar issue. Arrived in India on my second passport which had been pasted with a very specific visa. The Immigration Officer was flummoxed as to what to do. 20 minutes later he blurted out his frustration on me and asked why I had got a visa when I had an OCI!

The answer to that is because the Indian authorities do not recognise my OCI for the specific purpose of entry!

Defeats the whole point of being "Multi-Entry, Multi-Purpose, Lifelong Visa".
Where in India are you going, and what are you doing that has you getting a special category visa? Just curious what your honesty is getting you beside just the frustration of that immigration officer.
Old Oct 20, 2016, 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Where in India are you going, and what are you doing that has you getting a special category visa? Just curious what your honesty is getting you beside just the frustration of that immigration officer.
It's my employer. They insist for insurance and staff safety purposes that I obtain the visa. I did say that as an OCI holder, the Indians would never bat an eyelid but they point blank turned me down on travelling with just OCI.

After all, the UK is the land of High Viz bibs and jackets!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.