Reload this Page >

Mumbai CSIA [BOM] connection/departure experience reports

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 18, 2016, 11:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: oliver2002
Please add/correct as appropriate. (Need postcount of 90 to be able to edit)
(Note that information change dynamically and hence best to double check)
Thanks
desi

PLEASE NOTE that CERTAIN DOMESTIC FLIGHTS OF Air India (#010-399 and 900-999) are ACTUALLY segments of INTERNATIONAL FLIGHT and hence for the following discussion should be considered INTL flights.

TRANSFER at BOM

Air India and Vistara operate all of their international and domestic flights out of the same NEW terminal (T2). There is no need to change terminal or take any bus/taxi.

Low-cost airlines operate out of legacy Santacruz domestic terminal (T1) and you need to continue to follow the usual practice of changing terminal.
(For those not familiar with Santacruz Airport - CSIA - while both T1 and T2 uses same airfield and runaways, they are quite apart landside and can be 25-45 min by taxi depending on the traffic)

If first time in BOM then it is advisable to book connection with AI or Vistara to avoid this transfer between terminals.

INTL-to-INTL connections (suspended as of Jan 2022 due to COVID):

If both legs are on the same airline or on airlines that have interlined agreement, then your bags will be tagged to your final destination. But verify this fact when you actually check your bags at your origination and reconfirm by inspecting the bag tags.

Otherwise you have to go through immigration, collect bags and check-in again. This may need appropriate Visa too. If you have to do this, provide for 3 to 4 hours layover to be safe.

INTL-to-DOM transfer

Practice is similar to what you may find at major airports in the world such as JFK, LHR, etc. You have to go through immigration, collect bags, go through customs and then TURN LEFT upon exit from customs towards transfer area. DO NOT GO STRAIGHT into Semi-controlled reception area.

It is best to have entire reservation on single PNR to avail of better baggage allowance. Otherwise expect to pay high tarrifs of excess baggage. Also in case of delayed incoming flight, you will be most likely accomodated on the domestic portion.

Note that certain domestic looking segments of AI are actually onward leg of continuing International flight (#010-399 and 900-999). When connecting to/from these flights, treat them as INTL segments.

DOM-to-INTL transfer

It is best to have entire reservation on single PNR to avail of better baggage allowance. Otherwise expect to pay high tariffs of excess baggage. Your bags will be most likely tagged to your final destination when it is same airline or when airlines have interline agreement. Again, best to double check and reconfirm by looking at the bag tags. Otherwise, you have to collect bags at BOM and check-in again. Please check with your airline for the current process. Posts on this thread that are more than couple of months old, should be in "Trust but Verify" category.

If you are travelling by Air India and your incoming flight to BOM has been classified as international flight (currently applicable to certain AI flights only) then you would have already completed immigration process at your origin and you will simply follow INTL-to-INTL connection at BOM.

Otherwise, you will go through immigration at BOM airport even when your bags are checked to your final destination directly.

Please add/correct as appropriate. (Need postcount of 90 to be able to edit)
(Note that information change dynamically and hence best to double check)
Thanks
desi

TRANSFER at BOM

Air India, Jet Airways and Vistara operate all of their international and domestic flights out of the same NEW terminal (T2). There is no need to change terminal or take any bus/taxi.

Low-cost airlines operate out of legacy Santacruz domestic terminal and you need to continue to follow the usual practice of changing terminal.

INTL-to-INTL connections:

NOTE: Air-India operates some domestic flight segments as extension of an oversees flight (Typically flight numbers <400 - Double check routing on AI website to confirm example: AI 144 EWR_BOM_DEL). They should be treated as INTL flights for immigration/rechek/customs purpose.

If both legs are on the same airline or on airlines that have interlined agreement, then your bags will be tagged to your final destination. But verify this fact when you actually check your bags at your origination and reconfirm by inspecting the bag tags.

Otherwise you have to go through immigration, collect bags and check-in again. This may need appropriate Visa too. If you have to do this, provide for 3 to 4 hours layover to be safe.

INTL-to-DOM transfer

Practice is similar to what you may find at major airports in the world such as JFK, LHR, etc. You have to go through immigration, collect bags, go through customs and then TURN LEFT upon exit from customs towards transfer area. DO NOT GO STRAIGHT into Semi-controlled reception area.

It is best to have entire reservation on single PNR to avail of better baggage allowance. Otherwise expect to pay high tarrifs of excess baggage. Also in case of delayed incoming flight, you will be most likely accomodated on the domestic portion.

Note that certain dometic looking segments of AI are actually onward leg of continuing International flight such as EWR-BOM-AMD flight. When connecting to/from these flights, treat them as INTL segments.

DOM-to-INTL transfer

It is best to have entire reservation on single PNR to avail of better baggage allowance. Otherwise expect to pay high tarrifs of excess baggage. Your bags will be most likely tagged to your final destination when it is same airline or when airlines have interline agreement. Again, best to double check and reconfirm by looking at the bag tags. Otherwise, you have to collect bags at BOM and check-in again. Please check with your airline for the current process. Posts on this thread that are more than couple of months old, should be in "Trust but Verify" category.

If your incoming flight to BOM has been classified as international flight then you would have already completed emmigration (exit from India) process at your origination and you will simply follow INTL-to-INTL connection at BOM.

Otherwise, you will go through emmigration process at BOM airport even when your bags are checked to your final destination directly.
Print Wikipost

Mumbai CSIA [BOM] connection/departure experience reports

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2013, 3:15 am

Domestic to International Detail Help

Hello everyone,

I'm obviously new - just had a quick question or two about this transfer with my schedule. I made the transfer fine on my way in to India but reading some of these threads make me a bit nervous about the other way around.

I am flying from Hyderabad (HYD) to Mumbai (BOM), departing HYD at 10:00 and arriving in BOM at 11:20. From there, I am scheduled to depart BOM to EWR (via United Airlines) at around 23:00. So obviously it's a long 11-12hr wait in BOM. I had about an 8 hr wait on my way in about a month ago, and no major problems once I figured it out.

My question - do you think there's any way I can get into the International terminal right away, 11 hours before my flight? I would be more comfortable there (even though I've heard domestic is nicer) since I would rather be really early than wait in domestic for 8 hours.

Also, is there any chance that I can get my checked bag to go through without having to manage it for that long in BOM? I am flying Jet Airways from HYD to BOM and United out of BOM.

Any tips for safety/comfort while I'm waiting?
Old Aug 1, 2013, 5:49 am

Programs: AY, BT, DY and SK. Scandic, Radisson, Marriott and HHonors. ClubONE
Originally Posted by WesleyC
Hello everyone,

I'm obviously new - just had a quick question or two about this transfer with my schedule. I made the transfer fine on my way in to India but reading some of these threads make me a bit nervous about the other way around.

I am flying from Hyderabad (HYD) to Mumbai (BOM), departing HYD at 10:00 and arriving in BOM at 11:20. From there, I am scheduled to depart BOM to EWR (via United Airlines) at around 23:00. So obviously it's a long 11-12hr wait in BOM. I had about an 8 hr wait on my way in about a month ago, and no major problems once I figured it out.

My question - do you think there's any way I can get into the International terminal right away, 11 hours before my flight? I would be more comfortable there (even though I've heard domestic is nicer) since I would rather be really early than wait in domestic for 8 hours.

Also, is there any chance that I can get my checked bag to go through without having to manage it for that long in BOM? I am flying Jet Airways from HYD to BOM and United out of BOM.

Any tips for safety/comfort while I'm waiting?
You could take a look at Mumbai by hiring a taxi for the day or alternatively book a day room at an airport hotel and hang out by the pool...
Old Aug 2, 2013, 3:32 pm

Quick question domestic - international transfer

Hello, - this is my first time visiting this very informative forum - great work!
I would just like a little reassurance and suggestions on my relatively simple question.
My wife and I will be arriving Air India from Udaipur at BOM domestic Terminal 1A at 7:05 PM on Friday, September 6th – departing on United 49 to Newark at 11:10 PM that evening.
My concerns are possible delays in our domestic flight and collecting our baggage as well as the best way to get to the international terminal.

Barring unforeseen weather – do domestic flights generally stay on schedule?
Generally, how long is the wait at domestic baggage claim?
I would lean toward taking a taxi between the terminals – any suggestions?

Thank you in advance.
Sarsfield13
Old Aug 2, 2013, 5:22 pm

Programs: Support the Tyrants Travel Club
Welcome to FlyerTalk, Sarsfield13

Originally Posted by Sarsfield13
Barring unforeseen weather – do domestic flights generally stay on schedule?
Generally, how long is the wait at domestic baggage claim?
I would lean toward taking a taxi between the terminals – any suggestions?
1. I would say yes. No worse than anywhere else.
2. It can take up to 30-40 minutes, so you should have plenty of time to make your transfer.
3. The taxi is more comfortable and quicker, but as long as your flight is on-time, you'll have no problems making your connection taking the shuttle bus.
Old Aug 5, 2013, 8:18 am

thank you!
Old Aug 6, 2013, 5:13 pm

I'm new to flyertalk postings. I have a 9W flight arriving at 1555 domestic and a united flight departing at 2310 international. Question can I interline my baggage? I will be flying TRV to EWR. Second is there enough time to go to a hotel next to the domestic terminal for dinner? Thanks.
Old Aug 7, 2013, 2:15 am

Originally Posted by Janr
I'm new to flyertalk postings. I have a 9W flight arriving at 1555 domestic and a united flight departing at 2310 international. Question can I interline my baggage? I will be flying TRV to EWR. Second is there enough time to go to a hotel next to the domestic terminal for dinner? Thanks.
Yes you have plenty of time. I don't know of any free airport shuttles though, so the cheapest option is to just take a taxi. Sorry, can't answer your interline question.
Old Aug 7, 2013, 6:12 pm

Thanks.
Old Aug 10, 2013, 11:09 am

The Mumbai Airport Transfer Guide (Domestic to International and vv)

Well after 4 yrs of flying out of Delhi today needed up flying ua 49 out of bom and actually regretted connecting through bom (am flying Hyd bom ewr ord). Firstly this international transfer shuttle is a night mare. I joined the line at 745 and by the time was drop outside intl terminal it was 920 pm. If ua 49 was not delayed like its today would have missed. Secondly the transfer procedure has become a charade. After collecting your bags and waiting in line you are expected to get bags scanned again and patted down. Although no stamping is done. Then onto the buses where if you decline money for chai paani your bags are thrown under the bus. Finally for the kicker the bus goes to the intl side but once there the driver actually goes out side the airport and drives the WRONG WAY on the arrivals lane and does a u turn to climb on to the departures ramp. He nearly ran some bloke over doing that.
Question is why is Delhi so much better and why is bom so bad? Can't they learn anything from t3? Perhaps not. My advice to those connecting is be prepare to spend 1.5 hrs in the line to transfer to intl terminal at peak arrival times (late evening).
Old Aug 10, 2013, 11:41 pm

Programs: TK/QR Gold, Marriott/Accor Plat, IC Dia Amb, Avis/Hertz PC
There's no point taking the free airport shuttle anymore. Its just too much of a hassle to wait up to 30 minutes. I just take a taxi outside these days for ~INR200.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 2:28 am

Programs: Don't think it matters...
Originally Posted by rsh913
Well after 4 yrs of flying out of Delhi today needed up flying ua 49 out of bom and actually regretted connecting through bom (am flying Hyd bom ewr ord). Firstly this international transfer shuttle is a night mare. I joined the line at 745 and by the time was drop outside intl terminal it was 920 pm. If ua 49 was not delayed like its today would have missed. Secondly the transfer procedure has become a charade. After collecting your bags and waiting in line you are expected to get bags scanned again and patted down. Although no stamping is done. Then onto the buses where if you decline money for chai paani your bags are thrown under the bus. Finally for the kicker the bus goes to the intl side but once there the driver actually goes out side the airport and drives the WRONG WAY on the arrivals lane and does a u turn to climb on to the departures ramp. He nearly ran some bloke over doing that.
Question is why is Delhi so much better and why is bom so bad? Can't they learn anything from t3? Perhaps not. My advice to those connecting is be prepare to spend 1.5 hrs in the line to transfer to intl terminal at peak arrival times (late evening).
While I have transitted in BOM many times, never had this chai paani stuff.. though hv given them few rs after they have off boarded my luggage at the destination terminal on a few occasions..
Del T3 is new and BOM is ages old..

Originally Posted by tsastor
Yes you have plenty of time. I don't know of any free airport shuttles though, so the cheapest option is to just take a taxi. Sorry, can't answer your interline question.
Many hotels near the intl airport have airport pick up/ drop facility and usually free if you staying there.. Inter terminal airport shuttle facility is there though as mentioned by various posters, its not exactly very comfortable but I would still take that than a taxi outside ( if I am new to BOM)..
Old Aug 15, 2013, 2:30 am

Originally Posted by abhilife2001
Many hotels near the intl airport have airport pick up/ drop facility and usually free if you staying there..
Yes, I know many/most have limousine pick up but I am not aware of any free ones. Please point out some, preferably of the 4-5 star properties. Would be good to know for possible future use.

And yes I know some rates include this service as well.
Old Aug 17, 2013, 9:16 pm

Programs: Delta PM, SPG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, AVIS Preferred Plus
3 Hours enough for BOM transfer? Landing in BOM at 11.50 PM from Amsterdam. Is it ok to book 3.00 AM domestic flight? Will i have enough time?
Old Aug 18, 2013, 12:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by Love_Travel
3 Hours enough for BOM transfer? Landing in BOM at 11.50 PM from Amsterdam. Is it ok to book 3.00 AM domestic flight? Will i have enough time?
at that time of night, yes....but 3am domestic flight to where????
Old Aug 18, 2013, 2:26 am

Programs: Support the Tyrants Travel Club
Originally Posted by Keyser
at that time of night, yes....but 3am domestic flight to where????
I was surprised as well that these run so early, but apparently AMD and MAA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.