Reload this Page >

Mumbai CSIA [BOM] connection/departure experience reports

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 18, 2016, 11:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: oliver2002
Please add/correct as appropriate. (Need postcount of 90 to be able to edit)
(Note that information change dynamically and hence best to double check)
Thanks
desi

PLEASE NOTE that CERTAIN DOMESTIC FLIGHTS OF Air India (#010-399 and 900-999) are ACTUALLY segments of INTERNATIONAL FLIGHT and hence for the following discussion should be considered INTL flights.

TRANSFER at BOM

Air India and Vistara operate all of their international and domestic flights out of the same NEW terminal (T2). There is no need to change terminal or take any bus/taxi.

Low-cost airlines operate out of legacy Santacruz domestic terminal (T1) and you need to continue to follow the usual practice of changing terminal.
(For those not familiar with Santacruz Airport - CSIA - while both T1 and T2 uses same airfield and runaways, they are quite apart landside and can be 25-45 min by taxi depending on the traffic)

If first time in BOM then it is advisable to book connection with AI or Vistara to avoid this transfer between terminals.

INTL-to-INTL connections (suspended as of Jan 2022 due to COVID):

If both legs are on the same airline or on airlines that have interlined agreement, then your bags will be tagged to your final destination. But verify this fact when you actually check your bags at your origination and reconfirm by inspecting the bag tags.

Otherwise you have to go through immigration, collect bags and check-in again. This may need appropriate Visa too. If you have to do this, provide for 3 to 4 hours layover to be safe.

INTL-to-DOM transfer

Practice is similar to what you may find at major airports in the world such as JFK, LHR, etc. You have to go through immigration, collect bags, go through customs and then TURN LEFT upon exit from customs towards transfer area. DO NOT GO STRAIGHT into Semi-controlled reception area.

It is best to have entire reservation on single PNR to avail of better baggage allowance. Otherwise expect to pay high tarrifs of excess baggage. Also in case of delayed incoming flight, you will be most likely accomodated on the domestic portion.

Note that certain domestic looking segments of AI are actually onward leg of continuing International flight (#010-399 and 900-999). When connecting to/from these flights, treat them as INTL segments.

DOM-to-INTL transfer

It is best to have entire reservation on single PNR to avail of better baggage allowance. Otherwise expect to pay high tariffs of excess baggage. Your bags will be most likely tagged to your final destination when it is same airline or when airlines have interline agreement. Again, best to double check and reconfirm by looking at the bag tags. Otherwise, you have to collect bags at BOM and check-in again. Please check with your airline for the current process. Posts on this thread that are more than couple of months old, should be in "Trust but Verify" category.

If you are travelling by Air India and your incoming flight to BOM has been classified as international flight (currently applicable to certain AI flights only) then you would have already completed immigration process at your origin and you will simply follow INTL-to-INTL connection at BOM.

Otherwise, you will go through immigration at BOM airport even when your bags are checked to your final destination directly.

Please add/correct as appropriate. (Need postcount of 90 to be able to edit)
(Note that information change dynamically and hence best to double check)
Thanks
desi

TRANSFER at BOM

Air India, Jet Airways and Vistara operate all of their international and domestic flights out of the same NEW terminal (T2). There is no need to change terminal or take any bus/taxi.

Low-cost airlines operate out of legacy Santacruz domestic terminal and you need to continue to follow the usual practice of changing terminal.

INTL-to-INTL connections:

NOTE: Air-India operates some domestic flight segments as extension of an oversees flight (Typically flight numbers <400 - Double check routing on AI website to confirm example: AI 144 EWR_BOM_DEL). They should be treated as INTL flights for immigration/rechek/customs purpose.

If both legs are on the same airline or on airlines that have interlined agreement, then your bags will be tagged to your final destination. But verify this fact when you actually check your bags at your origination and reconfirm by inspecting the bag tags.

Otherwise you have to go through immigration, collect bags and check-in again. This may need appropriate Visa too. If you have to do this, provide for 3 to 4 hours layover to be safe.

INTL-to-DOM transfer

Practice is similar to what you may find at major airports in the world such as JFK, LHR, etc. You have to go through immigration, collect bags, go through customs and then TURN LEFT upon exit from customs towards transfer area. DO NOT GO STRAIGHT into Semi-controlled reception area.

It is best to have entire reservation on single PNR to avail of better baggage allowance. Otherwise expect to pay high tarrifs of excess baggage. Also in case of delayed incoming flight, you will be most likely accomodated on the domestic portion.

Note that certain dometic looking segments of AI are actually onward leg of continuing International flight such as EWR-BOM-AMD flight. When connecting to/from these flights, treat them as INTL segments.

DOM-to-INTL transfer

It is best to have entire reservation on single PNR to avail of better baggage allowance. Otherwise expect to pay high tarrifs of excess baggage. Your bags will be most likely tagged to your final destination when it is same airline or when airlines have interline agreement. Again, best to double check and reconfirm by looking at the bag tags. Otherwise, you have to collect bags at BOM and check-in again. Please check with your airline for the current process. Posts on this thread that are more than couple of months old, should be in "Trust but Verify" category.

If your incoming flight to BOM has been classified as international flight then you would have already completed emmigration (exit from India) process at your origination and you will simply follow INTL-to-INTL connection at BOM.

Otherwise, you will go through emmigration process at BOM airport even when your bags are checked to your final destination directly.
Print Wikipost

Mumbai CSIA [BOM] connection/departure experience reports

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2014, 3:07 am

Programs: Don't think it matters...
Originally Posted by gooselee
I'll toss in my situation and get everyone's advice.

Flying CCU-BOM-CDG. AF ticket for both flights, but CCU-BOM is on Jet. Unfortunately I cannot take an earlier flight from CCU.

Scheduled to arrive from CCU at 00:10 and flight to CDG departs 02:40.
I have SkyPriority/STE+ with AF.
No checked luggage.

Suggestions? Is exiting the domestic terminal and taking a private cab my best bet? From reading, I get the sense that the 2.5 hr D>I connection time is on the borderline of something I should be concerned about.
Without luggage and provided you get a BOM - CDG bp in CCU, you should be fine provided not a delay of more than 15-20mins..

Do check for on-time stats for the Jet flight as that can be delayed by sometime frequently because of some delay earlier in the day trickling over..@:-)
Old Jan 16, 2014, 11:37 am

International Terminal 2 to Domestic T1 Jet Airways

Hi friends,

This Forum posts and discussions are very informative and helpful.

We, husband and wife with 4 suitcases+2 handbags travelling from Toronto to Cochin via London, Mumbai. Jet Airways single ticket.

Jet airways flight arrives BOM at 2300 hrs.
Departure- Domestic Term 1 to COK at 0630 hrs.

It is understood that customs will be done at Mumbai.
So the question is :

1. should we carry the baggage from International to Domestic terminal by bus

or

is there any Jet Airways counter at Terminal 2 to hand over it and we only proceed with hand bags to Domestic terminal by bus.?

2. Is there any place at Terminal 2 to wait for two three hours after customs?
or is it better to go to domestic and wait there?

Any suggestions and guidance would be much appreciated.

Thanks.
Old Jan 21, 2014, 7:39 am

Programs: BDLG, BAEC Silver, Skyteam pleb, HH Gold, Hyatt Gold, Club Carlson Gold
BOM Transferring to Goa

Dear All

We are arriving on BA0199 (J class) on Friday morning at 11.45 a.m.and are then due to depart to Goa on JetConnect 9W2384 in economy at 15.00.

From what I read, this could be a little tight - the tickets are separate - redemption on BA and paid on Jetairways/jetConnect. We will have checked luggage.

We return on JetConnect on the following Saturday - 9W7010 arrives BOM 20.00. We depart BOM on BA0138 at 02.40 on Sunday morning, in J. Which seems to leave us a little better time wise

Would anyone be able to offer any thoughts/advice on the above (especially the BOM to GOA leg) or tips please on trying to maximise the chance of making the connection?

What are the lounges like for BA when leaving BOM please?

I also see that only the first 15KGs are free on Jet - ouch, do you know if I can pay for excess by credit card please?

I also have Miles&Smiles Elite and BA Gold if that helps at all.

Many thanks in advance.

Kind regards.

20-Horse
Old Jan 21, 2014, 11:23 pm

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
Originally Posted by 20-Horse
Dear All

We are arriving on BA0199 (J class) on Friday morning at 11.45 a.m.and are then due to depart to Goa on JetConnect 9W2384 in economy at 15.00.

From what I read, this could be a little tight - the tickets are separate - redemption on BA and paid on Jetairways/jetConnect. We will have checked luggage...
There is not much you can do re the time it takes to taxi the plane, immigration, wait for bags, the line for customs, etc. All I can suggest is try to rush and be in front of the immigration and customs lines.

After this, you get a lucky break because your domestic connection is with Jet. They do have the most convenient check-in and terminal transfer facility at BOM. After customs, look for the Jet desk.

You must have your printed itinerary in hand for the domestic flight, mentioning each pax name and flight/date. Otherwise your life will get complicated very fast.

Not sure if Jet will cut you any slack on baggage allowance. On a separate ticket, they don't have to, but it does depend on the mood of the agent at the desk, so good luck.
Old Jan 22, 2014, 8:04 am

Programs: BDLG, BAEC Silver, Skyteam pleb, HH Gold, Hyatt Gold, Club Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by aktchi
There is not much you can do re the time it takes to taxi the plane, immigration, wait for bags, the line for customs, etc. All I can suggest is try to rush and be in front of the immigration and customs lines.

After this, you get a lucky break because your domestic connection is with Jet. They do have the most convenient check-in and terminal transfer facility at BOM. After customs, look for the Jet desk.

You must have your printed itinerary in hand for the domestic flight, mentioning each pax name and flight/date. Otherwise your life will get complicated very fast.

Not sure if Jet will cut you any slack on baggage allowance. On a separate ticket, they don't have to, but it does depend on the mood of the agent at the desk, so good luck.
Thank you kindly for your advice, much appreciated.

Kind regards.

20-Horse
Old Jan 22, 2014, 10:24 am

I have a domestic Hyd-Bom Jet airways and would be connecting to the Bom-Bru Jet airways flight. Would I have to make the luggage transfer by myself or would Jet handle it?Its all on one ticket.
Old Jan 22, 2014, 10:31 am

BOM Transferring to Goa

Dear All

From what I read, both here and on the India based airlines forum, (BOM airport questions), where I also posted this, this could be a little tight - the tickets are separate - redemption on BA and paid on Jetairways/jetConnect. We will have checked luggage.

We return on JetConnect on the following Saturday - 9W7010 arrives BOM 20.00. We depart BOM on BA0138 at 02.40 on Sunday morning, in J. Which seems to leave us a little better time wise

Would anyone be able to offer any thoughts/advice on the above (especially the BOM to GOA leg) or tips please on trying to maximise the chance of making the connection?

Plus - would anyone know if we can smoke once through passport control on the international side of BOM on the return leg?

I also see that only the first 15KGs are free on Jet - ouch, do you know if I can pay for excess by credit card please?

Many thanks in advance.

Kind regards.

20-Horse
Old Jan 22, 2014, 11:34 am

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
Originally Posted by mrahul
I have a domestic Hyd-Bom Jet airways and would be connecting to the Bom-Bru Jet airways flight. Would I have to make the luggage transfer by myself or would Jet handle it?Its all on one ticket.
Somebody who lives in HYD can tell you their experience, but I am not sure how that helps your travel plans? I would allow enough time for the BOM connection in any case, for all sorts of potential delays and not just those associated with the luggage transfer.
Old Jan 22, 2014, 11:51 am

There is plenty of time for connection, about 5hrs.I am just asking to know if I should do the luggage transfer.
Old Jan 22, 2014, 5:03 pm
Moderator, All Nippon Airways and Japan

Programs: NH SFC (*G), JL JGP (OWE), AS MVP, WOH E, IHG SE
I'm considering an int'l-int'l connection of about 5 hours at BOM in early March. It would be on two separate tickets, I won't be checking luggage, and I do not have an Indian visa. Also assume that I won't have the BP for my departing flight before I arrive. Is this connection as seamless as the above comments have implied, or should I be concerned about anything?
Old Jan 22, 2014, 5:16 pm

Programs: AI-FR, 9W-JP
Originally Posted by 20-Horse
Dear All

From what I read, this could be a little tight - the tickets are separate - redemption on BA and paid on Jetairways/jetConnect. We will have checked luggage.

Many thanks in advance.

Kind regards.

20-Horse
You seem to have sufficient time on hand and shouldn't be worried about the transfer. Inbound, you would have to clear passport control (there's a dedicated lane for F / J class pax), collect bags & pass customs.

Then look out for the Jet's domestic transfer desk. There you can drop our bags and collect the Boarding passes. I am unsure about the mode of payment of excess baggage at this desk. At the domestic terminal, they do accept cards. And there's no harm in attempting for a discount / waiver with the status that you have.

Next, hop on to the inter-terminal shuttle bus to reach T1 and proceed for security, post which you can access a couple of lounges. (Check the lounge directory thread)

On the return segment, you can attempt to through check-in @ Goa, but i am unsure as it is on seprate tickets. However, upon arrival at BOM, you can still use the inter-Terminal shuttle bus and reach T2.

PS: you can only opt fot the shuttle bus service before exiting the terminal, it has a dedicated exit & entry at both terminals. If you exit the terminal using the main exit, you won't be permitted back in. Specifically, for the return segment, avoid the taxi as its peak hour for departures ex-BOM and the roads maybe choked. The inter-terminal shuttle uses the roads inside the airport perimeter and hence is not subject to the choke-up leading to the airport road.

Good Luck & Enjoy Goa..! ^
Old Jan 22, 2014, 5:20 pm

Originally Posted by mrahul
Avail of through check-in and you should be fine.
Old Jan 22, 2014, 5:21 pm

Originally Posted by armagebedar
I'm considering an int'l-int'l connection of about 5 hours at BOM in early March. It would be on two separate tickets, I won't be checking luggage, and I do not have an Indian visa. Also assume that I won't have the BP for my departing flight before I arrive. Is this connection as seamless as the above comments have implied, or should I be concerned about anything?
From my limited experience, I don't think this is feasiable. Check with the airline(s) for the most accurate info.
Old Jan 22, 2014, 8:51 pm
Moderator, All Nippon Airways and Japan

Programs: NH SFC (*G), JL JGP (OWE), AS MVP, WOH E, IHG SE
Originally Posted by GuyFromBOM
From my limited experience, I don't think this is feasiable. Check with the airline(s) for the most accurate info.
Any reason why not? Is it a physical limitation (i.e. there's a barrier between arrivals and departures with no way to do an int'l-int'l transfer) or simply a logistical one (i.e. there's no standard policy to allow it)?
Old Jan 22, 2014, 9:29 pm

Any reason why not? Is it a physical limitation (i.e. there's a barrier between arrivals and departures with no way to do an int'l-int'l transfer) or simply a logistical one (i.e. there's no standard policy to allow it)?
There is no physical limitation at the current terminal at CSIA-BOM T2 (the new terminal is expected to be operational in March). The arriving pax can be rushed through to the departures section via security, to the boarding gates by the airline staff at the transfer desk that is manned by the 9W / AI. I personally haven't seen any other carrier's staff at that desk.

If you are connecting from either 9W or AI onto the same airline, it may very well be possible as they can through check-in and issue all your boarding passes at the origin. On multiple carriers with seprate tickets, it may seem less likely.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.