Reload this Page >

Mumbai CSIA [BOM] connection/departure experience reports

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 18, 2016, 11:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: oliver2002
Please add/correct as appropriate. (Need postcount of 90 to be able to edit)
(Note that information change dynamically and hence best to double check)
Thanks
desi

PLEASE NOTE that CERTAIN DOMESTIC FLIGHTS OF Air India (#010-399 and 900-999) are ACTUALLY segments of INTERNATIONAL FLIGHT and hence for the following discussion should be considered INTL flights.

TRANSFER at BOM

Air India and Vistara operate all of their international and domestic flights out of the same NEW terminal (T2). There is no need to change terminal or take any bus/taxi.

Low-cost airlines operate out of legacy Santacruz domestic terminal (T1) and you need to continue to follow the usual practice of changing terminal.
(For those not familiar with Santacruz Airport - CSIA - while both T1 and T2 uses same airfield and runaways, they are quite apart landside and can be 25-45 min by taxi depending on the traffic)

If first time in BOM then it is advisable to book connection with AI or Vistara to avoid this transfer between terminals.

INTL-to-INTL connections (suspended as of Jan 2022 due to COVID):

If both legs are on the same airline or on airlines that have interlined agreement, then your bags will be tagged to your final destination. But verify this fact when you actually check your bags at your origination and reconfirm by inspecting the bag tags.

Otherwise you have to go through immigration, collect bags and check-in again. This may need appropriate Visa too. If you have to do this, provide for 3 to 4 hours layover to be safe.

INTL-to-DOM transfer

Practice is similar to what you may find at major airports in the world such as JFK, LHR, etc. You have to go through immigration, collect bags, go through customs and then TURN LEFT upon exit from customs towards transfer area. DO NOT GO STRAIGHT into Semi-controlled reception area.

It is best to have entire reservation on single PNR to avail of better baggage allowance. Otherwise expect to pay high tarrifs of excess baggage. Also in case of delayed incoming flight, you will be most likely accomodated on the domestic portion.

Note that certain domestic looking segments of AI are actually onward leg of continuing International flight (#010-399 and 900-999). When connecting to/from these flights, treat them as INTL segments.

DOM-to-INTL transfer

It is best to have entire reservation on single PNR to avail of better baggage allowance. Otherwise expect to pay high tariffs of excess baggage. Your bags will be most likely tagged to your final destination when it is same airline or when airlines have interline agreement. Again, best to double check and reconfirm by looking at the bag tags. Otherwise, you have to collect bags at BOM and check-in again. Please check with your airline for the current process. Posts on this thread that are more than couple of months old, should be in "Trust but Verify" category.

If you are travelling by Air India and your incoming flight to BOM has been classified as international flight (currently applicable to certain AI flights only) then you would have already completed immigration process at your origin and you will simply follow INTL-to-INTL connection at BOM.

Otherwise, you will go through immigration at BOM airport even when your bags are checked to your final destination directly.

Please add/correct as appropriate. (Need postcount of 90 to be able to edit)
(Note that information change dynamically and hence best to double check)
Thanks
desi

TRANSFER at BOM

Air India, Jet Airways and Vistara operate all of their international and domestic flights out of the same NEW terminal (T2). There is no need to change terminal or take any bus/taxi.

Low-cost airlines operate out of legacy Santacruz domestic terminal and you need to continue to follow the usual practice of changing terminal.

INTL-to-INTL connections:

NOTE: Air-India operates some domestic flight segments as extension of an oversees flight (Typically flight numbers <400 - Double check routing on AI website to confirm example: AI 144 EWR_BOM_DEL). They should be treated as INTL flights for immigration/rechek/customs purpose.

If both legs are on the same airline or on airlines that have interlined agreement, then your bags will be tagged to your final destination. But verify this fact when you actually check your bags at your origination and reconfirm by inspecting the bag tags.

Otherwise you have to go through immigration, collect bags and check-in again. This may need appropriate Visa too. If you have to do this, provide for 3 to 4 hours layover to be safe.

INTL-to-DOM transfer

Practice is similar to what you may find at major airports in the world such as JFK, LHR, etc. You have to go through immigration, collect bags, go through customs and then TURN LEFT upon exit from customs towards transfer area. DO NOT GO STRAIGHT into Semi-controlled reception area.

It is best to have entire reservation on single PNR to avail of better baggage allowance. Otherwise expect to pay high tarrifs of excess baggage. Also in case of delayed incoming flight, you will be most likely accomodated on the domestic portion.

Note that certain dometic looking segments of AI are actually onward leg of continuing International flight such as EWR-BOM-AMD flight. When connecting to/from these flights, treat them as INTL segments.

DOM-to-INTL transfer

It is best to have entire reservation on single PNR to avail of better baggage allowance. Otherwise expect to pay high tarrifs of excess baggage. Your bags will be most likely tagged to your final destination when it is same airline or when airlines have interline agreement. Again, best to double check and reconfirm by looking at the bag tags. Otherwise, you have to collect bags at BOM and check-in again. Please check with your airline for the current process. Posts on this thread that are more than couple of months old, should be in "Trust but Verify" category.

If your incoming flight to BOM has been classified as international flight then you would have already completed emmigration (exit from India) process at your origination and you will simply follow INTL-to-INTL connection at BOM.

Otherwise, you will go through emmigration process at BOM airport even when your bags are checked to your final destination directly.
Print Wikipost

Mumbai CSIA [BOM] connection/departure experience reports

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2013, 8:56 pm

chai-pani

You do nota have to give any tip money to anyone during entire process.

But if you can give couple of bucks (or quids or euros) to hotel bell boys, car service drivers in LA/NY/Chicago/London, why not do the same in India.

Why should the poor guy (who is neither unemployed nor a criminal) have to even mention chai-pani or baxis or anything?

I carry a bundle of INR50 and INR20 and give away wherever I get manual service (20, 50 or 100 depending on service provided - with nothing for poor service).

I try to make sure that I do not give tips for any rule breaking. (like trying to give someome INR to put you in front of the queue or something like that)
Old Oct 22, 2013, 3:33 pm

Possible to stay in airport at BOM?

I have a flight with Emirates from DXB which could land at around 2am (I haven't chosen which EK flight I want yet, although that one is the best option for my query), and my onwards flight from BOM is with Singapore Airlines at 08.45 the same morning.

We all know EK and SQ have a luggage interline agreement, but this is India, after all. I don't expect anything to be easy and simple.

I will effectively arrive at BOM and need to find a transfer desk to get my onwards boarding pass. Is this service available anywhere at BOM, let alone just after I get off the plane?

My luggage will be taken care of and checked through to Singapore (Beijing actually) but I will not have a visa of any kind as I do not plan to leave the airport. I am aware that even passing immigration to collect luggage requires an expensive visa in India, and this is why I am hoping to stay airside.

But do you think it would be possible to find a transfer desk at 2am and switch from one airline to another to obtain a boarding pass? This is India, after all.
Old Oct 22, 2013, 4:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
In the time it took you to write all that and add in the emoticons, it would have been quicker to type in "BOM transfer" in search and you'd find this informative thread that details how to make an INT-INT transfer.
Old Oct 22, 2013, 5:38 pm

Programs: Support the Tyrants Travel Club
yes, definitely possible. 2 am is peak time for T2 @BOM. More reading for you

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/india...ction-bom.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/india...m-airport.html
Old Oct 23, 2013, 2:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by A380 Flyer
We all know EK and SQ have a luggage interline agreement, but this is India, after all. I don't expect anything to be easy and simple.

But do you think it would be possible to find a transfer desk at 2am and switch from one airline to another to obtain a boarding pass? This is India, after all.
this is the 'india' forum, after all & there is already tons of information available in this forum which has been pointed out to you by the other posters....

with so much suspicion that something could go wrong, why would you even bother trying to connect through here????this is india, after all....
Old Oct 23, 2013, 3:33 am

Well none of those threads really told me any decent info. And one of them was posted 2 years ago and is no longer relevant and should be deleted to avoid confusing people.

It looks like I will be spending a few hours sat at transit security until the SQ check-in staff appear, and then someone will take my passport and get me my onwards boarding pass on my behalf. Luckily, it seems I may only have to wait a couple of hours at the most, as a flight departing BOM at 08.45 should have its check-in open landside at around 05.45, in accordance with normality.
Old Oct 23, 2013, 3:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Well none of those threads really told me any decent info. And one of them was posted 2 years ago and is no longer relevant and should be deleted to avoid confusing people.
really????did you even read the thread uapremexecflyer referred to in his post????

It looks like I will be spending a few hours sat at transit security until the SQ check-in staff appear, and then someone will take my passport and get me my onwards boarding pass on my behalf. Luckily, it seems I may only have to wait a couple of hours at the most, as a flight departing BOM at 08.45 should have its check-in open landside at around 05.45, in accordance with normality.
they usually appear 3 & a half to 4 hours before the flight so slightly better than normal in my opinion....

either way, if you are so sure something will go wrong then why take the risk of transiting through here????
Old Oct 23, 2013, 1:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I have a flight with Emirates from DXB which could land at around 2am (I haven't chosen which EK flight I want yet, although that one is the best option for my query), and my onwards flight from BOM is with Singapore Airlines at 08.45 the same morning.

My luggage will be taken care of and checked through to Singapore (Beijing actually) but I will not have a visa of any kind as I do not plan to leave the airport.
How on earth could you conceivably ponder the idea of spending a night in purgatory in BOM when there is a flight on the same airline (EK) nonstop from DXB to PEK? The SIN connection is also strange thinking to me because if one looks at a map, they realize how incredibly circuitous it is, but at least the airport is pleasant enough to hang around in for a few hours.
Old Oct 23, 2013, 5:30 pm

Programs: Support the Tyrants Travel Club
the process is still the same... still relevant info.
Old Oct 25, 2013, 6:15 am

Originally Posted by moondog
How on earth could you conceivably ponder the idea of spending a night in purgatory in BOM when there is a flight on the same airline (EK) nonstop from DXB to PEK? The SIN connection is also strange thinking to me because if one looks at a map, they realize how incredibly circuitous it is, but at least the airport is pleasant enough to hang around in for a few hours.
Simple really, I am spending 1 night in the transit hotel at Changi, which is my favourite airport.

Plus, I am KrisFlyer Elite Silver, so the BOM-SIN-PEK routing will help my cause.
Old Oct 27, 2013, 8:30 am

Great information. I am travelling to India in late November. My final destination is Ahmedabad which means I will have to transfer from the International to the Domestic terminal.

I only have 2h 25m between landing in Mumbai and departing for Ahmedabad at 3:00AM. Should I be worried about making it on time?
Old Oct 27, 2013, 11:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fununlimited
Great information. I am travelling to India in late November. My final destination is Ahmedabad which means I will have to transfer from the International to the Domestic terminal.

I only have 2h 25m between landing in Mumbai and departing for Ahmedabad at 3:00AM. Should I be worried about making it on time?
at that time at night you should not have a problem....
Old Oct 28, 2013, 7:23 am

Programs: BA Exec Club
BOM Domestic to International transfer

The info on this thread is fascinating and worrying... so I thought I'd ask my own question, knowing that the knowledgeable Flyertalkers would give me a clear answer, for flights in a couple of weeks.

Arriving at BOM domestic on AI from Trivandrum, eta 11.25. Departing BA 13.50. So 2.5 hours nominal between flights. I'll have hand baggage only and (after reading this thread) will take a taxi from domestic to int'l terminal. I have BA Exec check-in privileges etc.

Is AI eta reasonably reliable? And is 2.5 hours long enough?

Thanks
Old Oct 28, 2013, 8:12 am

Programs: BA Exec Club
Int'l not domestic

Originally Posted by Taggsflyer
The info on this thread is fascinating and worrying... so I thought I'd ask my own question, knowing that the knowledgeable Flyertalkers would give me a clear answer, for flights in a couple of weeks.

Arriving at BOM domestic on AI from Trivandrum, eta 11.25. Departing BA 13.50. So 2.5 hours nominal between flights. I'll have hand baggage only and (after reading this thread) will take a taxi from domestic to int'l terminal. I have BA Exec check-in privileges etc.

Is AI eta reasonably reliable? And is 2.5 hours long enough?

Thanks
I've just been told that the AI flight from Trivandrum goes on to a non-Indian destination, so it arrives at BOM International. Does this make a difference to transfer time?

Thanks
Old Oct 28, 2013, 8:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Taggsflyer
I've just been told that the AI flight from Trivandrum goes on to a non-Indian destination, so it arrives at BOM International. Does this make a difference to transfer time?

Thanks
it makes all the difference in the world....2.5 hours for an international to international transfer is ample time....but please keep in mind that ai is not the most reliable airline & delays are common....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.