Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Cupboard de mutation?"

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2010, 9:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
"Cupboard de mutation?"

In checking out BOM at airportmumbai.com for an upcoming trip, I noticed this in the Money and Telecommunications section of their home page:

Telecommunications centers, gift telephones, fax, Internet and photocopying, are located in both terminals. There are also telephones, land reservation counters, cupboard de mutation, ATMs and postal amenities throughout both terminals.
Never having heard of a "cupboard de mutation" before, I googled the phrase*. There were two hits on the entire Web: the page I had found, and a comparable one about facilities at CCU (Kolkata).

Can anyone here enlighten me as to what this term means, perhaps what it might be called in the UK or the US? Is it a bureau de change, a currency exchange office?
Old May 9, 2010, 10:34 pm

Programs: 9W Plat, Flying Blue Elite, HHonors Gold, Accor Le Club Plat
Yes, I remember reading somewhere that this is a very very old term for any place (read desk/office) where some sort of "change" takes place. Over time, came to be used specifically in the context of a money changer's office. So yes, it is a bureau de change.

I will have a highly qualified linguist look up this term. As to origins, I suppose this is a relic of the early days of the British and French occupation in India.
Old May 11, 2010, 7:41 am

Programs: CO Plat; UA 1K; EK Gold
Originally Posted by aniruddh77
Yes, I remember reading somewhere that this is a very very old term for any place (read desk/office) where some sort of "change" takes place. Over time, came to be used specifically in the context of a money changer's office. So yes, it is a bureau de change.

I will have a highly qualified linguist look up this term. As to origins, I suppose this is a relic of the early days of the British and French occupation in India.
Very interesting! Never heard of this phrase before!
Old May 13, 2010, 6:17 am

Programs: 9W Plat, Flying Blue Elite, HHonors Gold, Accor Le Club Plat
Wink Lost in translation

Finally remembered where I've read this one - at the Kolkata airport ! Checked with the linguist I was talking about, and seems like this is just the result of some smart a$$ trying to "translate" what seemingly appeared to be French, to English !
Old May 14, 2010, 3:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Finally remembered where I've read this one - at the Kolkata airport ! Checked with the linguist I was talking about, and seems like this is just the result of some smart a$$ trying to "translate" what seemingly appeared to be French, to English !
hilarious....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.