Claim for damaged baggage

Old Jan 29, 19, 3:40 am
Original Poster

Claim for damaged baggage

Hi all
I recently made a trip SIN-BOM with Jetairways and,
at the hotel, I discovered they damaged my baggage.

My baggage is a half-hard and half textile medium luggage I bought years ago with Lufthansa. Not really new, but used twelve times. The hard part, made by rigid plastic, has an important crack.

I am not sure after more than 6 years I still have the receipt of it.
Tomorrow, I take the plane, again Jetairways, back to London. The luggage can safely make this travel.
Should I open a claim with them once in London? Can I do it? Or is it better to claim with my private insurance (part of Amex platinum card). Do Jetairways or they ground handling have a fixed compensation for broken baggage?

Thanks
S
Old Jan 29, 19, 5:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
9w is pretty bad with damaged bags....the payment structure is very poor & they will often make excuses to avoid paying or to pay less....

if the luggage can make it back to lhr then i suggest you open a claim there....you would have a much better chance of getting compensated there....
Old Jan 29, 19, 5:50 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
Amex over 9W any day.
Old Jan 29, 19, 6:01 am
Original Poster

Yeah the luggage can make the last travel to LHR and anyway I was thinking it should be easier to raise a claim immediately when you collect it damaged rather than days later.

Cause it is a damage cannot be repaired, how do they treat it? Should they offer me a fixed amount or do they try to make an evaluation of the luggage to determine its value?
Old Jan 29, 19, 6:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by pilotax View Post
Yeah the luggage can make the last travel to LHR and anyway I was thinking it should be easier to raise a claim immediately when you collect it damaged rather than days later.

Cause it is a damage cannot be repaired, how do they treat it? Should they offer me a fixed amount or do they try to make an evaluation of the luggage to determine its value?
they typically offer you a minuscule amount to get the bag repaired....if it is truly beyond repair then they ask you for a receipt to determine the value of the bag....if you cannot produce one then they offer you anywhere between 25%-50% of the value you claim the bag was bought for....
Old Jan 29, 19, 6:11 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA Platinum, SQ Gold, Marriott Titanium
If the luggage is damaged, won"t they see that when you check-in for your LHR flight?
Old Jan 30, 19, 3:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by vishalgupta22 View Post
If the luggage is damaged, won"t they see that when you check-in for your LHR flight?
depends how much it is damaged....if it is falling to pieces then they may point it out at check-in otherwise no one will bother....people check in damaged bags all the time....
Old Jan 30, 19, 11:05 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA Platinum, SQ Gold, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Keyser View Post
depends how much it is damaged....if it is falling to pieces then they may point it out at check-in otherwise no one will bother....people check in damaged bags all the time....
The OP mentioned the bag is damaged beyond repair but should be able to survive one last trip, that's what made me think there should be a significant damage. Hope I am wrong and things work out for the OP.
Old Jan 30, 19, 11:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The OP mentioned the bag is damaged beyond repair but should be able to survive one last trip, that's what made me think there should be a significant damage. Hope I am wrong and things work out for the OP.
significant damage can mean something like a crack in the plastic that cannot be repaired....however, the bag can still be used....
Old Jan 31, 19, 5:50 am
Original Poster

significant damage can mean something like a crack in the plastic that cannot be repaired....however, the bag can still be used....
Guess I missed the point sorry. Is 'significant damage' not enough for a refund?
Old Jan 31, 19, 5:52 am
Original Poster

After check-in in BOM, and sorry for saying, they didn't see even people with baggage destroyed and maintained ensemble with tape!
Old Jan 31, 19, 5:54 am
Original Poster

they typically offer you a minuscule amount to get the bag repaired....if it is truly beyond repair then they ask you for a receipt to determine the value of the bag....if you cannot produce one then they offer you anywhere between 25%-50% of the value you claim the bag was bought for....
The person at baggage claim counter in LHR told me they don't open any claim on behalf of 9W unless the baggage is literally split into two differant parts. This due to the high rate of damaged baggage and low rate of 9W refund. They told me to keep photos and act directly with them.
Old Jan 31, 19, 6:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pilotax View Post
The person at baggage claim counter in LHR told me they don't open any claim on behalf of 9W unless the baggage is literally split into two differant parts. This due to the high rate of damaged baggage and low rate of 9W refund. They told me to keep photos and act directly with them.
so did you file the claim with them in lhr????
Old Jan 31, 19, 6:12 am
Original Poster

so did you file the claim with them in lhr????
No they don't accept any claim. I need to contact directly 9W.

Search this Thread