Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > India-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

Which US issued credit cards work on Indigo?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2014, 4:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA 1M

I have tried Visa and MC issued by Chase, BOA, and Barclays, but have not had any luck. Not tried Amex. Are there any issuers that would work with Indigo? If I call them would I have better luck?
Old Jan 6, 2014, 5:40 pm

Programs: Support the Tyrants Travel Club
Yes, you should call. Chase and BoA often automatically declined purchases if I did not notify them in advance. IIRC Citibank is more lenient but I do not use them. Amex also generally worked without having to call.
Old Jan 7, 2014, 2:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
i often have a problem using my chase cards....definitely call & let them know....it should work after that....
Old Jan 7, 2014, 3:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

gave Barclays a call and it seems like there wasn't even an attempt at charging.
Old Jan 7, 2014, 4:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by UA Fan
gave Barclays a call and it seems like there wasn't even an attempt at charging.
don't use barclays so can't comment there but chase often blocks transactions with certain merchants unless you call them first....
Old Jan 7, 2014, 7:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Called Chase and got it done. They suspended the verified by visa requirement. The initial rep denied anything was wrong because she could not even see an attempted charge by Indigo. Talked to the security team and got it done.
Old Jan 7, 2014, 11:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by UA Fan
Called Chase and got it done. They suspended the verified by visa requirement. The initial rep denied anything was wrong because she could not even see an attempted charge by Indigo. Talked to the security team and got it done.
^^
Old Jan 10, 2014, 9:47 pm
fomerly known as LandingGear (not Landing Gear)

I tried to make a couple of bookings yesterday and AmEx Plat was turned down. Then Chase Visa failed. Frustrated, I called the airline at the number on the site.

The rep told me that international cards are no go unless I have some 3D security. He offered to make and hold the booking and that I should send someone with cash to an airport. There was no way for me to do that.

Then he recommended a couple of websites, after I told him that neither AnEx Travel, nor Expedia, nor Orbitz was showing their fares. Finally had to book on one of the sites he recommended -- make my trip. Then AmEx threw a fraud alert, but that was a simple swipe resolution on the app. Long story. But finally have all the tickets.
Old Jan 10, 2014, 11:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by planes&trains
I tried to make a couple of bookings yesterday and AmEx Plat was turned down. Then Chase Visa failed. Frustrated, I called the airline at the number on the site.

The rep told me that international cards are no go unless I have some 3D security. He offered to make and hold the booking and that I should send someone with cash to an airport. There was no way for me to do that.

Then he recommended a couple of websites, after I told him that neither AnEx Travel, nor Expedia, nor Orbitz was showing their fares. Finally had to book on one of the sites he recommended -- make my trip. Then AmEx threw a fraud alert, but that was a simple swipe resolution on the app. Long story. But finally have all the tickets.
in the future, just call your bank & let them know you are making the transaction....you shouldn't have a problem after that....
Old Jan 11, 2014, 7:31 am

Programs: BA bronze, Marriott silver
makemytrip and yatra.com are good people. or there's www.cleartrip.com which has a cleaner interface.
Old Jan 11, 2014, 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by Keyser
in the future, just call your bank & let them know you are making the transaction....you shouldn't have a problem after that....
Thanks. I should do that next time.

AmEx used to throw a fit when I try to refill a local Vodafone number before a visit. Not anymore, so I thought things eased.
Old Jan 11, 2014, 12:42 pm

Originally Posted by hserus
makemytrip and yatra.com are good people. or there's www.cleartrip.com which has a cleaner interface.
Years ago, probably 2005 I made a reservation through makemytrip and I think they sold me a ticket purchased through award miles. Would have been a real mess if the airline was not LH. They were really graceful about this and things were sorted out. This was midway in FRA.

I forgot all about them until I visited them again, when my browser reminded me I had blocked their US site. I was dreading about the current reservation, but glad to hear they are a clean act now.
Old Jan 13, 2014, 10:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by planes&trains

I've been told by Indigo that they don't accept international cards on their site at all. Could never get the anything through to even attempt.

I use Cleartrip now, and that works fine with my US cards. Otherwise, I just use my Indian-issued Citibank debit mastercard. Never been a problem with that one. Note that all travel agency sites in India seem to charge about 250 - 300 INR per passenger fee - even Indigo does this on their own site. Its hidden right until the end in some cases.

As for OTAs, the US-based ones don't seem to show any of the discount Indian carrier fares. Expedia.in does, but may still have trouble using an international card for Indigo flights.
Old Jan 14, 2014, 6:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I had the same problem and went with Cleartrip but one problem is that AFAIK one cannot buy the special excess baggage rates. So I had to go back to indigo's website and do it which is why I created this thread.

I had to make several calls to the credit card companies to get this resolved. Some agents at Barclays did not even know what the securecode program is.

Ask for the security group/team in charge of the securecode/verified by visa program.
Old Jan 14, 2014, 9:16 am

Little off the topic but just curious, can you get a US credit card if you are on B1/B2 visa?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.