Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > India-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

Jet Airways bankruptcy and rebirth 2.0

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Jet Airways bankruptcy and rebirth 2.0

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2019, 10:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
i was scheduled to fly bom-lhr-bos next week & jfk-lhr-del the week after....bom-lhr & lhr-del were to be operated by 9w....the ticket was bought through delta so i finally called them last night to find out what my options were if i were to drop all 9w flight from my itinerary....

delta said they were aware of the problems 9w were facing & were no longer selling any tickets for flights that 9w was operating....they said i could either get a full refund or they could change my flights without any penalty....

i decided to go for the later & asked them if i could fly out of del instead....he said that would involve a small fare difference ($70) & he would be able to put me on all non-9w flights....so now i'm flying del-cdg-bos on af & nyc-fco-del on az....
Old Mar 25, 2019, 2:44 am

Programs: BA executive club Gold, United milage plus Gold
This is good to know. I have some relatives who just last week bought tickets on Jet/Delta for a trip to the US! They seem to have been completely unaware of the situation that 9W is in. I'm hoping they will be able to get their tickets rerouted as you were able to.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 7:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by 2sk21
This is good to know. I have some relatives who just last week bought tickets on Jet/Delta for a trip to the US! They seem to have been completely unaware of the situation that 9W is in. I'm hoping they will be able to get their tickets rerouted as you were able to.
were the tickets bought from 9w or dl????
Old Mar 25, 2019, 8:01 am

Programs: IHG Platinum
Looks like Mr. Goyal has left the building....
Old Mar 25, 2019, 9:20 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
Originally Posted by quarryking
Finally! Now let's watch SBI grind 9W to the ground.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 9:54 am

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by quarryking
My bet is he will start a new LCC as soon as non-compete (if any) expires.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 12:53 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
Originally Posted by HMPS
My bet is he will start a new LCC as soon as non-compete (if any) expires.
He doesn't have a non-compete. This is SBI we're talking about. They don't know what competing means. Rajnish Kumar has even said Goyal is welcome to bid for 9W again!

Also the weird thing I've noticed is that they haven't nominated anyone to manage at least the day to day operations of the airlines till a new promoter is found. So who makes the final decisions there? Where does the buck stop? Who supervises the day to day activities for this "2-3 month" period?
Old Mar 26, 2019, 2:11 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
You seriously think Goyal managed ' the day to day operations'?
Old Mar 26, 2019, 2:30 am
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Yes!
Originally Posted by oliver2002
He and the Mrs. were super involved - I mean they even chose the cutlery themselves. If that isn't day to day, then what is...
Old Mar 26, 2019, 2:53 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Now Mallya is peeved that his airline was not bailed out: https://economictimes.indiatimes.com...w/68572478.cms

It seems SBI will give 1500 cr so that the airline flies till the elections.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 4:29 am

Yups manage/micromanage/mismanage/manage-well/strategically-manage etc. whatever he did it all.

Point I was trying to make is that just through 1500 CR isn't going to solve 9W's problem. Who decides whom to pay with that cash... which routes they want to restart and which planes they want flying again. Who decides which pilots they want to get back and whom to axe. Who has the final say in all this and more? Vinay Dube - why isn't he sacked? Rajnish Kumar? Arun Jaitley?

Someone has to run the recovery show to make 9W attractive to others for investment. Who is tasked with doing that?

Last edited by PiperAtGatesofDawn; Mar 26, 2019 at 4:39 am
Old Mar 26, 2019, 4:37 am

Now Mallya is peeved that his airline was not bailed out: https://economictimes.indiatimes.com...w/68572478.cms

It seems SBI will give 1500 cr so that the airline flies till the elections.
He has a point. Except for the part he fails to mention he took the loans for IT and went and invested/spent it elsewhere making him a crook & money launderer.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 4:41 am

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Originally Posted by PiperAtGatesofDawn
Yups manage/micromanage/mismanage/manage-well/strategically-manage etc. whatever he did it all.
And "looted" - as reports suggest.

It's almost impossible that Jet, selling tix at premium prices, could be losing so much money - as compared to Indigo and others... (Even though they may have kept their expenses down)

There had to have been other drain on the income...causing this collapse.

Goyal always shied away from pax on board - one time a very well known architect and myself wished to talk to him/ask him questions when he was seated next to us on a domestic flight - he then ran into the cockpit and remained there until after we disembarked!
2sk21 likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 4:52 am

Originally Posted by SuperFlyBoy
And "looted" - as reports suggest.

It's almost impossible that Jet, selling tix at premium prices, could be losing so much money - as compared to Indigo and others... (Even though they may have kept their expenses down)
Could be. I haven't heard too many credible sources tell this story. However it's quite easy to run an airline to the ground even if you charge good money for a ticket and keep costs down (neither of which they did - the first was their decision but keeping costs down wasn't all up to them)... just ask 6E, SG, AI, DL, UA, AA, BA, VS, SQ, VS, AF, KL, LH, LX and pretty much any airlines in the world.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 5:26 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
He (mis-)managed it as his personal fiefdom on a day to day operational basis. When someone believes it is "good to be the king", they are reluctant to give away the keys to the domain and day to day operational power except via a very trusted vice-regent of some kind. And he definitely seems to have desperately done whatever he could to keep the 9W domain under his day to day operational control as long as possible.

About the government trying to keep 9W afloat at least into and a bit beyond the elections, can't say I'm surprised as they don't want to be said to have failed the economy in any sort of high profile way on the cusp of the election. And so we get yet another example of economic mismanagement from government, with the taxpayers left to foot the bill when the government's (direct or indirect) injection of liquidity into 9W ends up flushed down the toilet.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.