Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air India Privatization

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2022, 2:36 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Alliance Air is splitting off in the PSS too:

In view of Alliance Air migrating to a new PSS from 01 APR 2022 (Proposed), it has been decided that henceforth 9I sectors both in the form of Add-ons and 9I Fare combinations will not be allowed with AI fares .

We are already in the process of changing filing region-wise and the whole exercise is planned to be completed by 23 March 2022. It may have been observed that for some regions the updated filing are already in place, which will be extended on to entire network of Air India.

In other words, this would result in the following scenarios, as below,

Until now both End on end /Add on with AASL 9I flights were permitted with AI .

a) Domestic Travel ( within India ) eg .DED -9I/x DEL- AI/BOM and vv.

b) Domestic- International -Domestic travel on AI-9I flights : eg : PGH-9I/x DEL-AI/JFK & vv .

However, post completion of filing, the above combinations will not be permitted on AI- 9I for all AI Fares including Published fares , Code share & Privates fares ( viz Concessionary, Seaman ,LTC fares etc ). This will be shortly followed by removing 9I flights from available connections also and subsequently post-cutover, 9I schedule will not be available on AI SITA system.

For Conjunction tickets issued on AI-9I & vv travel prior CUTOVER date, the existing conditions for Refund/baggage will be honoured .
AJLondon likes this.
Old Apr 2, 2022, 12:56 am

So the codeshare is over? Poor call IMO - 9I feeds into remoter destinations that AI does not serve.
Old May 4, 2022, 12:09 pm

Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott Gold
So far not much action into merging AI and Vistara, if that was the plan. They dont even code share, I thought by now they would be code sharing at least.

Dont know why Tata is waiting, is there a clause which prohibits merging immediately on the sale agreement with GoI. AI can make some serious money (on connections with Vistara) on long haul international routes, especially since AI is overflying Russian airspace and can fly nonstop.
Old May 4, 2022, 7:07 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
Originally Posted by hyho61
AI can make some serious money (on connections with Vistara) on long haul international routes
How? UK code shares with BA, JL, SQ, LH & UA so international is challenging. Domestic - AI's routes are for the most part superior to UK.

That said I'm sure they will at some point start code-sharing (contracts/agreements permitting) and optimizing international & domestic flights instead of being competitive as it is now.
Old May 5, 2022, 1:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
So far not much action into merging AI and Vistara, if that was the plan. They dont even code share, I thought by now they would be code sharing at least.

Dont know why Tata is waiting, is there a clause which prohibits merging immediately on the sale agreement with GoI. AI can make some serious money (on connections with Vistara) on long haul international routes, especially since AI is overflying Russian airspace and can fly nonstop.
UK has many codeshare agreements in place with other airlines which are either more beneficial for them or they are under obligation to let those expire. AI has a better domestic network so codesharing with UK won't really benefit them.

At some point they will merge both airlines. For now they seem content to just let things be.
Old May 5, 2022, 3:21 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting

Code-sharing may require getting various approvals -- including foreign ones -- before it can be authorized to happen or happen more for whatever is of relevance to the AI+UK tie-up under Tata since Tata's acquisition of AI. And at times such code-sharing approvals won't take place very quickly if at all, as they can even be precluded for one or more reason when it comes to some route and/or airlines.

I am curious if we will see AI resources selectively picked for being moved over to UK at some point. Or maybe even the opposite.
Old May 5, 2022, 4:26 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

No need for codesharing, all AI & UK need to do is allow for eithers flights to be allowed to be ticketed under their fare. How they split the revenue is up to them. You could then also allow each others flights to show up in the booking engines/websites/etc. But I suppose they are awaiting for the new management to be installed before making such bold moves.
superboi likes this.
Old May 9, 2022, 9:13 am

Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by oliver2002
No need for codesharing, all AI & UK need to do is allow for eithers flights to be allowed to be ticketed under their fare. How they split the revenue is up to them. You could then also allow each others flights to show up in the booking engines/websites/etc. But I suppose they are awaiting for the new management to be installed before making such bold moves.
That would be the immediate solution, may be they are waiting for software updates.

I did not refer to revamping the UK code shares with foreign carriers, just code sharing between AI and UK only, which should be possible since they have one owner, pending GoI approvals, which generally should not be an issue in this case.
Old May 12, 2022, 5:10 am

The current boss of Scoot is supposed to be the new boss of AI: https://economictimes.indiatimes.com...w/91516098.cms

In other news the CXO of Spicejet is going to be someone at AI. I wonder who had that idea.
Old Jun 1, 2022, 3:28 pm

Voluntary retirement offered

https://www.livemint.com/companies/n...102639007.html
Old Jun 15, 2022, 3:42 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
Air India just got the OK to merge AirAsia. It will be interesting to see whether AirAsia becomes a subsidiary or they do a more complicated merger.

https://www.indiatimes.com/worth/new...ia-572203.html
Old Jun 15, 2022, 4:32 pm

Programs: SA, JAL, EK
Originally Posted by PiperAtGatesofDawn
Air India just got the OK to merge AirAsia. It will be interesting to see whether AirAsia becomes a subsidiary or they do a more complicated merger.

https://www.indiatimes.com/worth/new...ia-572203.html
This is mysterious. Since the Tatas took over I have seen pooling of resources between UK and AI (gate staff). The software for flight updates and check in also seem to be common now as has the baggage tags. Even the frequent flyer program systems seem to have been put onto some kind of common software (both had outages 10 days ago at the same time while they upgraded the system). The e-mails for itinerary changes and flight updates are also literally identical.
Old Jun 15, 2022, 10:48 pm

Originally Posted by Kumar2013
This is mysterious. Since the Tatas took over I have seen pooling of resources between UK and AI (gate staff). The software for flight updates and check in also seem to be common now as has the baggage tags. Even the frequent flyer program systems seem to have been put onto some kind of common software (both had outages 10 days ago at the same time while they upgraded the system). The e-mails for itinerary changes and flight updates are also literally identical.
Which is very good. In AI you have 5 people doing the work of 1. So if they leverage all these functions & jobs across it will help them immensely. Gate/Check-in staff are usually contract folks - so they can and absolutely should be used across to improve utilization especially in the smaller airports where there would be significant down time between UK-UK or AI-AI flights.

It's probably coincidental they use the same PSS now. But again they should absolutely leverage efficiencies across.
Old Jun 16, 2022, 5:14 am

Originally Posted by Kumar2013
The migration to Amadeus was already in the works before the sale, as Sita stopped offering the PSS. UK and AI both use Amadeus now thats where the similarity ends... they are not allowed to share systems (yet). Ground staff is probably contracted, so AI also contracted their subsidiary (Air India Air Transport Services Ltd) It seems Celebi wants to take over that part of the business.
Old Jun 16, 2022, 9:48 am

Originally Posted by oliver2002
The migration to Amadeus was already in the works before the sale, as Sita stopped offering the PSS. UK and AI both use Amadeus now thats where the similarity ends... they are not allowed to share systems (yet).
The maybe running separate instances of Amadeus. However they still will be able able to leverage IT, dev ops, tech support etc. across organizations. They would also be able to share custom code with each other saving huge amounts of time/effort. Plus of course to some degree centralizing general IT purchasing etc. for more leverage.....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.