Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air India Privatization

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2022, 9:34 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
I don't think this involved any "expansion". Probably better utilization of planes and maybe 1-2 planes coming back from maintenance.
Old Sep 12, 2022, 10:53 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
Originally Posted by SeeBuyFly
Press release says "Mumbai will see the addition of flights to San Francisco as well as to both of the New York area’s international airports, Newark Liberty and John F Kennedy, while Bangalore will receive a 3x weekly service to San Francisco."

Quite a lot of expansion with five leased aircraft.
I was responding to the post previous about the "New Flights" - the additional domestic routes that AI just announced.

The 30 planes that are due to arrive over the course of the next 6-8 months are a huge expansion to AI's fleet. They will have to find crew and pax for those planes! EWR is already being serviced by a 773 from BOM. The press release was more bombastic (and nonsense) marketing I think - 5 planes to service additional *NEW* routes like BOM - EWR and BOW - JFK and BOM - SFO and BLR - SFO (3 weekly) just isn't happening. The 77Ls will have better range (but smaller planes) so flights to SFO would be very possible with those.
Old Sep 21, 2022, 8:42 am

TOI article My experience of flying Air India under Tatas, the link is to the non-paywalled copy of the article on msn.com
Old Sep 21, 2022, 9:32 am

Programs: Free checked in bag on UA & DL. Free icecream at Marriott checkin.
Tata Group to bring AirAsia India, Vistara under Air India by 2024

https://indianexpress.com/article/bu...-2024-8163134/
Old Sep 22, 2022, 2:47 am

Vistara merger is big news! So is SQ exiting?
Old Sep 22, 2022, 3:26 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
They are looking at it and haven't decided anything.

"Air India CEO and MD Campbell Wilson has set up this team, which will look into synergy between Air India Express and AirAsia India and also between Air India and Vistara and how to achieve the merger," a source said.

The team has been asked to submit ...

https://economictimes.indiatimes.com...campaign=cppst
Old Sep 23, 2022, 1:20 am

Programs: AA - EXP, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, UK - Gold
Looks like a deal/process may be in place now..

https://economictimes.indiatimes.com...w/94383306.cms
superboi likes this.
Old Sep 23, 2022, 2:19 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Merging AI & UK is a no brainer expecially if the holding company is the same. However its not a done deal as many portray it... SQ is probably not super eager to jump in and spend money on the new airline... they have problems of their own.
galaticos likes this.
Old Sep 23, 2022, 3:08 am

Programs: AA - EXP, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, UK - Gold
Agreed.. but I'm pretty certain SQ will not be asked for money.. It will be a diluted share swap with some cherry to get it through..
Old Sep 23, 2022, 4:16 am

Programs: Free checked in bag on UA & DL. Free icecream at Marriott checkin.
Originally Posted by oliver2002
Merging AI & UK is a no brainer expecially if the holding company is the same. However its not a done deal as many portray it... SQ is probably not super eager to jump in and spend money on the new airline... they have problems of their own.
On the contrary, I feel SQ will sign up for being a part of AI. During the pandemic SQ came to the realization that they have no domestic traffic and were wholly dependent on international borders being open to run their business. This would be a great way for them to buy into a huge aviation market that mitigates that risk. If UA can partner with EK to tap into South Asian traffic, SQ dabbling with AI is a no brainer.
Old Sep 23, 2022, 5:27 am

India is the one of lowest yield domestic market and AI's only cash cow is running ULH flights to the US because there is next to no competition. The longhaul business needs to be completely sold to make money as the production cost is rather high. If the load factor drops below 80% they make a loss. Since there is no premium inflight product in any cabin AI sells on price and convienience.

SQ is a very conservative company and prefers to be in control. Having a minor stake in the future AI is not really their thing.
Old Sep 25, 2022, 12:21 pm

Posting here since this seems like the catch-all AI thread...

Does anyone know when AI loads summer 2023 schedules? They bizarrely have have DEL-LHR only 2x weekly after March 25 even though they have daily flights to CDG and FRA ex DEL. I would have thought the Tatas would have sorted this out by now! LHR has to be a marquee route for them!

Also, it seems they are still only offering one award seat in business per long haul international flight, which is lame! Shouldn't the shift to Amadeus Altea make this more dynamic?
Old Sep 25, 2022, 12:37 pm

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Originally Posted by abcx
They bizarrely have have DEL-LHR only 2x weekly after March 25 even though they have daily flights to CDG and FRA ex DEL?
So *both* AI *and* Vistara are flying DEL-CDG + FRA??

Hope they have good loads!!
Old Sep 25, 2022, 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by SuperFlyBoy

Hope they have good loads!!
I haven't checked but I'm pretty sure AI flies EVERYWHERE UK does. Both domestic and international.
Old Sep 26, 2022, 1:35 am

Originally Posted by SuperFlyBoy
Yep, also at the same time (dep at Lunch, return in the evening) which is nice for the consumer travelling to Europe but terrible for connecting to *A and UK partners (LH, UA, AC).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.