Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > India-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

Long Layover on AI in Delhi - Best Option?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2014, 7:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, Le Club Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold, M&C Gold, SPG Gold

Hi All,

Considering flying with Air India later this year to try out what they are like. I'm looking at flights from Singapore to London, the outbound flight has a good connection, but the return has a layover of 12 hours.

I've read in various places about people going into Delhi, and others staying at a transit hotel at the airport itself.

I have a multiple entry India visa and my partner can do Visa on Arrival (although costs 60USD).

Wondering what fellow FTers would advise? (having never been to or through Delhi previously!)
Old Jul 15, 2014, 8:00 pm

Programs: Air India Silver Edge, Jet Airways Silver
The backpacker/white trash crowd heads out to Paharganj - on one side of the main New Delhi Railway Station - a short $3 ride on the Airport Express metro train.

But with just 12 hours, would suggest hanging around within the terminal. Heard there are semi-enclosed Beds for rent around some of the international gates.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 8:52 pm

Originally Posted by AddictedTraveller
Hi All,

Considering flying with Air India later this year to try out what they are like. I'm looking at flights from Singapore to London, the outbound flight has a good connection, but the return has a layover of 12 hours.

I've read in various places about people going into Delhi, and others staying at a transit hotel at the airport itself.

I have a multiple entry India visa and my partner can do Visa on Arrival (although costs 60USD).

Wondering what fellow FTers would advise? (having never been to or through Delhi previously!)
At terminal 3, once you are through Security Check, there is not much you can do except for the lounge (which in my opinion serves the coldest possible food, the delhi daredevil's lounge)

You can go check out old Delhi. Make ensure to not carry any luggage. There are cloaks available at T3 on arrival. Go to Akshardham if you want to see (google it). Its worth it.

Last edited by AllAboutFlying; Jul 15, 2014 at 11:02 pm
Old Jul 15, 2014, 10:23 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Marriott silver
There are some reasonable hotels in Delhi too, not just the purely expensive ones. Yes - take the airport express metro into the city for lots more choices.

There's a plaza premium lounge in delhi where you can rent a shower, and there's cloak rooms where you can leave your luggage while you go into the city, if that works for you.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 4:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
do you think you would have the energy to go out & explore after a long flight????

its too short a time to really do anything in delhi so i would suggest a nice reasonably priced hotel near the airport where you can get a few hours of sleep & a good meal before heading back to the airport....the four points by sheraton would be a good option....
Old Jul 16, 2014, 4:50 am

Many new and decently priced hotels close to Terminal - 3. Pick up and drop are usually included. 10 mins to and fro the hotel.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 5:49 am

I'm looking at exactly the same trip later this year and am thinking about a trip to the Taj Mahal. This will need two nights as Europe flights arrive in the morning and the Singapore connection leaves around midnight.

My plan would be to go to the Holiday Inn near the airport and see if I could check in a couple of hours early, if not have lunch and lounge by the pool. The Taj tour will pick you up at 2.00am for a 2 1/2 hour drive where you get to see the sunrise plus some other sights. Back to the hotel around 6.00pm to clean up have dinner and head out to the airport.

If you are only doing a 12 hour layover I would book the hotel for a day and take a shopping tour of Delhi. There are a few reviews on Trip Advisor to help you choose, be careful of which airport hotel as there are a few dodgy ones.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 9:12 am
Jzo

Programs: MileagePlus Gold
If you're more interested in food than shopping, I highly recommend this:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractio..._of_Delhi.html
Old Jul 16, 2014, 4:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Originally Posted by Brisman33
I'm looking at exactly the same trip later this year and am thinking about a trip to the Taj Mahal. This will need two nights as Europe flights arrive in the morning and the Singapore connection leaves around midnight.

My plan would be to go to the Holiday Inn near the airport and see if I could check in a couple of hours early, if not have lunch and lounge by the pool. The Taj tour will pick you up at 2.00am for a 2 1/2 hour drive where you get to see the sunrise plus some other sights. Back to the hotel around 6.00pm to clean up have dinner and head out to the airport.

If you are only doing a 12 hour layover I would book the hotel for a day and take a shopping tour of Delhi. There are a few reviews on Trip Advisor to help you choose, be careful of which airport hotel as there are a few dodgy ones.
Is the Taj tour organized by the HI? How much does it cost?
Old Jul 16, 2014, 6:01 pm

There are a few operators offering the tour. Google + Trip Advisor will bring up a few names and reviews. Prices vary with the size of car, whether or not lunch is included and any additional attractions. I was looking at one costing around US$150.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 11:12 pm

Programs: Lots of 'em!
Hi All,

I'd strongly suggest getting out of the airport and into the city. If you've never been in DEL, then $60 is probably worth it for your partner to get a visa, etc. However, the Taj tour should be attempted only if you have the energy. The 12 hour layover doesn't really give you more than about 9 hours net (visa, exit, taxi, re-entry with time to spare, etc will easily take up the rest of the time!).
Old Jul 16, 2014, 11:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, Le Club Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold, M&C Gold, SPG Gold
Hey all, thanks for the suggestions.

Might have a look at the hotels, forgot that I'd need to check in quite early though.

Didn't know it was so easy to get into the city so may check out the sights there too.
Old Jul 17, 2014, 12:14 am

Hey all, thanks for the suggestions.

Might have a look at the hotels, forgot that I'd need to check in quite early though.

Didn't know it was so easy to get into the city so may check out the sights there too.
Taking a hotel is always a good option. Take a hotel close to airport terminal. Ask the hotel to arrange for a car (this way you are sure that the driver knows the way back straight), take the car to 3-4 places , can be easily covered in about 4-5 hours and then back.

Also please ensure that if it is raining heavily, the traffic will be stand still.

Rest enjoy Delhi !
Old Jul 17, 2014, 1:18 am

Check with AI.

We've got a long layover (16h) on our return flight (MEL/DEL/FRA) and AI have booked us in to the transit hotel as part of the deal.
Old Jul 17, 2014, 4:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by treets
Check with AI.

We've got a long layover (16h) on our return flight (MEL/DEL/FRA) and AI have booked us in to the transit hotel as part of the deal.
just make sure they don't put you up at the centaur hotel....you wouldn't want to stay there even if they paid you to....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.