Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > India-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

Long Layover on AI in Delhi - Best Option?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Long Layover on AI in Delhi - Best Option?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2014, 5:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by treets
Rs1000
that gets you access for 3 hours....after that you would have to pay again....
Old Jul 21, 2014, 12:25 pm

Just out of interest - how would they know?

Thx
Old Jul 22, 2014, 2:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Just out of interest - how would they know?

Thx
they ask for your boarding pass when you enter the lounge....
Old Jul 22, 2014, 3:59 am

But once you're in...

I've never seen anyone wandering round and asking people to leave?

Or would they just restrict your access to 3h before the scheduled departure?
Old Jul 22, 2014, 4:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

But once you're in...

I've never seen anyone wandering round and asking people to leave?

Or would they just restrict your access to 3h before the scheduled departure?
no clue....but i assume if you get to the lounge 6 hours before your flight then they will ask you to pay double....
Old Aug 2, 2014, 1:58 am

Programs: SQ *G, SPG Plat, IHG Plat, Le Accor Silver, Marriott Plat
Hope I am not hijacking this thread but will be doing something similar like OP - going into Delhi.

Me and my wife arrive at 1230pm (SIN-DEL) and hopefully start our trip exploring Old Delhi + a nice dinner in time to get back for our 135am flight from Delhi - JFK.

Question I have here for FT'ers who've frequented the lounges at DELHI is which lounge should we go to, and are both lounges after immigration controls?

I've heard terrible reviews of the Air India Lounge (eg toilets closed, unclean/spoilt shower heads/cubicles, unclean/lack of towels).

After a day in the city we definitely want to freshen up before our next leg. Would the Plaza premium lounge be a better choice? Is it also located after immigration controls? I've read that it is located in the departure "lounge" so I am not sure what that means. If the showers/facilities there are better we would love to know it.

Thanks guys!
Old Aug 2, 2014, 3:20 am

Originally Posted by BryanHuang
Hope I am not hijacking this thread but will be doing something similar like OP - going into Delhi.

Me and my wife arrive at 1230pm (SIN-DEL) and hopefully start our trip exploring Old Delhi + a nice dinner in time to get back for our 135am flight from Delhi - JFK.

Question I have here for FT'ers who've frequented the lounges at DELHI is which lounge should we go to, and are both lounges after immigration controls?

I've heard terrible reviews of the Air India Lounge (eg toilets closed, unclean/spoilt shower heads/cubicles, unclean/lack of towels).

After a day in the city we definitely want to freshen up before our next leg. Would the Plaza premium lounge be a better choice? Is it also located after immigration controls? I've read that it is located in the departure "lounge" so I am not sure what that means. If the showers/facilities there are better we would love to know it.

Thanks guys!
Bryan, I have never seen a lounge during international / domestic arrivals at T3, you are directed towards transit/exit/domestic terminal. Now that the time in hand is more than 12 hours, some might say that it is best to take up a hotel close by (there are many good and not so expensive ones (80-100 USD). This way you can save yourself a lot of trouble, most of these hotels provide a free pick up and drop as well.

I usually use the Delhi Daredevils lounge which I do not like but still atleast the seating is better, never used a shower facility in Delhi. If you are flying F then I am sure there will be a different lounge for F class passengers. Plaza Lounge is good and the food there is much better than the DD lounge.

Still I would have preferred to stay in a hotel , there is also a transit hotel (eaton) but you need to pay a little too much extra for the convenience.

I am sure frequent travellers here will help you better.

Cheers
Old Aug 2, 2014, 6:29 am

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Originally Posted by Brisman33
The margin on business class tickets is much larger and $150 for a hotel room still leaves a decent profit on a $4000 ticket. These passengers are less price sensitive than economy ones and need more incentive to take an indirect flight.

I would quite happily do 14 hours in business class but if I was in economy I would break it up into two legs with a night in a hotel in between.
Ex-SIN at the moment the margins are actually much better for economy tickets than discounted business, I am sure, when the difference between the business and economy is only about $600 SGD.

I'm actually in the middle of a 16 hr MXP-DEL-SIN transit. I booked the day before travel so had no chance of getting a Visa to leave the airport. Slept well on the short flight from MXP so didn't use a transit hotel.

Air India lounge disappointing. Showers out of order so no shower (and I didn't have one in Milan either, they charge 15 Euro). Thankfully I had one when I came off the beach before taking my train back to Milan.

I have priority pass, so now using the Plaza Premium Lounge which is slightly better. Also has showers (which can be purchased without lounge access for about 11USD). I'll report back on them once I've had a shower. Plan is to stay here, then get some decent (junk) food that will hopefuflly be warm, from the food court before trying my luck with my PPS card at the SQ lounge.
Old Aug 4, 2014, 12:56 am

I called AI in SIN and they say airline only provides access to the lounge for J transit passengers... no matter how long the transit is, no hotel or tour is provided.

As long as passenger doesn't exit the international transit area, no need for India transit visa.
Old Aug 4, 2014, 12:58 am

Originally Posted by lokijuh
Air India lounge disappointing. Showers out of order so no shower (and I didn't have one in Milan either, they charge 15 Euro).
Funnily the AI booking office in SIN said, "Our lounge is very nice because DEL is a new airport".
Old Aug 4, 2014, 1:21 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
The AI exec lounge is pretty decent, what reports have you read?
Old Aug 4, 2014, 1:33 am

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
The layout of the AI lounge was decent, reasonable seating areas etc. Relatively quiet and pleasant atmosphere until a couple of children arrived and were allowed to run riot (although the guy sitting next to me in the recliner chairs - not a relative of said children - "sssshed" them which made them quieten a bit). Some parts of the lounge were rather warm (aircon not flowing to them that well), but moving solved that. Disappointing that the shower wasn't operating. The "hot" food was lukewarm at best, or cold, and not really that appetizing. Drinks OK.

The Plaza Premium Lounge had better food offering, and internet was faster (although more of a PITA to access), and showers all operational. The SQ KF lounge had the exact same food as in the Plaza lounge, plus some extra offerings and slightly better range of alcohol.

My biggest complaint with all three lounges - only Pepsi products on offer. Had to buy a Coke from the bookstore.
Old Aug 4, 2014, 8:58 am

Programs: SQ *G, SPG Plat, IHG Plat, Le Accor Silver, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by AllAboutFlying
Bryan, I have never seen a lounge during international / domestic arrivals at T3, you are directed towards transit/exit/domestic terminal. Now that the time in hand is more than 12 hours, some might say that it is best to take up a hotel close by (there are many good and not so expensive ones (80-100 USD). This way you can save yourself a lot of trouble, most of these hotels provide a free pick up and drop as well.

I usually use the Delhi Daredevils lounge which I do not like but still atleast the seating is better, never used a shower facility in Delhi. If you are flying F then I am sure there will be a different lounge for F class passengers. Plaza Lounge is good and the food there is much better than the DD lounge.

Still I would have preferred to stay in a hotel , there is also a transit hotel (eaton) but you need to pay a little too much extra for the convenience.

I am sure frequent travellers here will help you better.

Cheers
Hi AllAboutFlying thank you for your reply. We don't really see a need for a hotel as we arrive 1230pm and intend to immediately head out for a tour/book a driver/guide and head for dinner at say 8pm. Head to the airport by 10pm, shower etc and get on flight by 135am. Thank you for your suggestions!

Originally Posted by oliver2002
The AI exec lounge is pretty decent, what reports have you read?
Read showers not working, towels are in short supply.

Originally Posted by lokijuh
The layout of the AI lounge was decent, reasonable seating areas etc. Relatively quiet and pleasant atmosphere until a couple of children arrived and were allowed to run riot (although the guy sitting next to me in the recliner chairs - not a relative of said children - "sssshed" them which made them quieten a bit). Some parts of the lounge were rather warm (aircon not flowing to them that well), but moving solved that. Disappointing that the shower wasn't operating. The "hot" food was lukewarm at best, or cold, and not really that appetizing. Drinks OK.

The Plaza Premium Lounge had better food offering, and internet was faster (although more of a PITA to access), and showers all operational. The SQ KF lounge had the exact same food as in the Plaza lounge, plus some extra offerings and slightly better range of alcohol.

My biggest complaint with all three lounges - only Pepsi products on offer. Had to buy a Coke from the bookstore.
Will 100% be using the Plaza Premium Lounge I suppose or at least check out the AI Lounge to see if showers/towels are working/available. Are they located close to each other or at least within the same "departure lounge"? Is this lounge after immigration controls?

Thanks!
Old Aug 4, 2014, 9:23 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Yes, all lounges are past security & immigration. AI & PP are above duty free, LH & SQ in their own area. LH has a shower too.
Old Aug 4, 2014, 9:55 am

Originally Posted by BryanHuang
Hi AllAboutFlying thank you for your reply. We don't really see a need for a hotel as we arrive 1230pm and intend to immediately head out for a tour/book a driver/guide and head for dinner at say 8pm. Head to the airport by 10pm, shower etc and get on flight by 135am. Thank you for your suggestions!

Read showers not working, towels are in short supply.

Will 100% be using the Plaza Premium Lounge I suppose or at least check out the AI Lounge to see if showers/towels are working/available. Are they located close to each other or at least within the same "departure lounge"? Is this lounge after immigration controls?

Thanks!
AI and PP are pretty close to each other.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.