Reload this Page >

Mumbai CSIA [BOM] connection/departure experience reports

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 18, 2016, 11:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: oliver2002
Please add/correct as appropriate. (Need postcount of 90 to be able to edit)
(Note that information change dynamically and hence best to double check)
Thanks
desi

PLEASE NOTE that CERTAIN DOMESTIC FLIGHTS OF Air India (#010-399 and 900-999) are ACTUALLY segments of INTERNATIONAL FLIGHT and hence for the following discussion should be considered INTL flights.

TRANSFER at BOM

Air India and Vistara operate all of their international and domestic flights out of the same NEW terminal (T2). There is no need to change terminal or take any bus/taxi.

Low-cost airlines operate out of legacy Santacruz domestic terminal (T1) and you need to continue to follow the usual practice of changing terminal.
(For those not familiar with Santacruz Airport - CSIA - while both T1 and T2 uses same airfield and runaways, they are quite apart landside and can be 25-45 min by taxi depending on the traffic)

If first time in BOM then it is advisable to book connection with AI or Vistara to avoid this transfer between terminals.

INTL-to-INTL connections (suspended as of Jan 2022 due to COVID):

If both legs are on the same airline or on airlines that have interlined agreement, then your bags will be tagged to your final destination. But verify this fact when you actually check your bags at your origination and reconfirm by inspecting the bag tags.

Otherwise you have to go through immigration, collect bags and check-in again. This may need appropriate Visa too. If you have to do this, provide for 3 to 4 hours layover to be safe.

INTL-to-DOM transfer

Practice is similar to what you may find at major airports in the world such as JFK, LHR, etc. You have to go through immigration, collect bags, go through customs and then TURN LEFT upon exit from customs towards transfer area. DO NOT GO STRAIGHT into Semi-controlled reception area.

It is best to have entire reservation on single PNR to avail of better baggage allowance. Otherwise expect to pay high tarrifs of excess baggage. Also in case of delayed incoming flight, you will be most likely accomodated on the domestic portion.

Note that certain domestic looking segments of AI are actually onward leg of continuing International flight (#010-399 and 900-999). When connecting to/from these flights, treat them as INTL segments.

DOM-to-INTL transfer

It is best to have entire reservation on single PNR to avail of better baggage allowance. Otherwise expect to pay high tariffs of excess baggage. Your bags will be most likely tagged to your final destination when it is same airline or when airlines have interline agreement. Again, best to double check and reconfirm by looking at the bag tags. Otherwise, you have to collect bags at BOM and check-in again. Please check with your airline for the current process. Posts on this thread that are more than couple of months old, should be in "Trust but Verify" category.

If you are travelling by Air India and your incoming flight to BOM has been classified as international flight (currently applicable to certain AI flights only) then you would have already completed immigration process at your origin and you will simply follow INTL-to-INTL connection at BOM.

Otherwise, you will go through immigration at BOM airport even when your bags are checked to your final destination directly.

Please add/correct as appropriate. (Need postcount of 90 to be able to edit)
(Note that information change dynamically and hence best to double check)
Thanks
desi

TRANSFER at BOM

Air India, Jet Airways and Vistara operate all of their international and domestic flights out of the same NEW terminal (T2). There is no need to change terminal or take any bus/taxi.

Low-cost airlines operate out of legacy Santacruz domestic terminal and you need to continue to follow the usual practice of changing terminal.

INTL-to-INTL connections:

NOTE: Air-India operates some domestic flight segments as extension of an oversees flight (Typically flight numbers <400 - Double check routing on AI website to confirm example: AI 144 EWR_BOM_DEL). They should be treated as INTL flights for immigration/rechek/customs purpose.

If both legs are on the same airline or on airlines that have interlined agreement, then your bags will be tagged to your final destination. But verify this fact when you actually check your bags at your origination and reconfirm by inspecting the bag tags.

Otherwise you have to go through immigration, collect bags and check-in again. This may need appropriate Visa too. If you have to do this, provide for 3 to 4 hours layover to be safe.

INTL-to-DOM transfer

Practice is similar to what you may find at major airports in the world such as JFK, LHR, etc. You have to go through immigration, collect bags, go through customs and then TURN LEFT upon exit from customs towards transfer area. DO NOT GO STRAIGHT into Semi-controlled reception area.

It is best to have entire reservation on single PNR to avail of better baggage allowance. Otherwise expect to pay high tarrifs of excess baggage. Also in case of delayed incoming flight, you will be most likely accomodated on the domestic portion.

Note that certain dometic looking segments of AI are actually onward leg of continuing International flight such as EWR-BOM-AMD flight. When connecting to/from these flights, treat them as INTL segments.

DOM-to-INTL transfer

It is best to have entire reservation on single PNR to avail of better baggage allowance. Otherwise expect to pay high tarrifs of excess baggage. Your bags will be most likely tagged to your final destination when it is same airline or when airlines have interline agreement. Again, best to double check and reconfirm by looking at the bag tags. Otherwise, you have to collect bags at BOM and check-in again. Please check with your airline for the current process. Posts on this thread that are more than couple of months old, should be in "Trust but Verify" category.

If your incoming flight to BOM has been classified as international flight then you would have already completed emmigration (exit from India) process at your origination and you will simply follow INTL-to-INTL connection at BOM.

Otherwise, you will go through emmigration process at BOM airport even when your bags are checked to your final destination directly.
Print Wikipost

Mumbai CSIA [BOM] connection/departure experience reports

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2018, 3:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by PraveenB
Thank you..
Do we have any limit ( total worth or Qty ) of goods that we buy in US. I am planning to buy 4 Hand bags ( women's).. I will store 2 bags in each checked in bag.. 2 watches .. 1 shoe .. Couple of toys for my son & cloths .. Lots of chocs ...
Will i face any problem with customs ... If so i will cut down some ( like hand bags )...
ideally you should be fine but it all depends on how much the items are worth & whether you are under the customs allowance....bags are usually scanned when leaving baggage claim so if they feel your bags need to be checked then they will do so....
Old Apr 5, 2018, 9:05 am

Hi , I have a query regarding going out of Mumbai Airport while in transit .
Iam travelling to Trivandrum from UK , via Mumbai (Terminal 2) with Jet Airways reaching Mumbai at 23:00 . And as you can imagine , Mumbai being the first port of entry , i need to collect all the bags , do the customs clearance and re-checkin at the Jet counter for Trivandrum leg.
The transit time is 6 hours . During that time can i go out ? I guess they wont allow me to re-checkin the baggage at the counter and then leave the airport . I need to take the bags out of airport with me ? Or can i leave the baggage at the Left Baggage section ? But then , is the leftBaggage area after Customs clearance section ? And when i come back to airport will i be able to collect the bags from leftBaggage before I checkin at the airport counter ?
Many Thanks .
Old Apr 5, 2018, 2:55 pm

Hi,
looking at options to Bangalore from London, BA direct flight is out as it is now too expensive for company expense policy.
there is a jet Airways option via Mumbai that would get me to Bangalore the same time as my colleague on the BA flight, on arrival at Mumbai will I need to go through immigration, collect luggage and check in again?
its a 3.5 hour transit so should have plenty time.
its all in the early hours of the morning and in economy so no lounge options, will anything be open?
It’s this or Etihad via Abu Dhabi, opinions welcome!
Old Apr 5, 2018, 9:37 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Ambassador, Hyatt Explorist, Qatar Gold, Vistara Gold
Once you clear customs, turn left to the transit check-in counters and check in your baggage on the same level (Arrivals). After you check in your bags here you are free to leave the airport and re-enter through the departures level.

There is also a left luggage counter just outside the terminal however I'd recommend the above option. - https://csia.in/passenger/left-luggage.aspx
Old Apr 5, 2018, 9:50 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
Originally Posted by karthikht
Hi , I have a query regarding going out of Mumbai Airport while in transit .
Iam travelling to Trivandrum from UK , via Mumbai (Terminal 2) with Jet Airways reaching Mumbai at 23:00 . And as you can imagine , Mumbai being the first port of entry , i need to collect all the bags , do the customs clearance and re-checkin at the Jet counter for Trivandrum leg.
The transit time is 6 hours . During that time can i go out ? I guess they wont allow me to re-checkin the baggage at the counter and then leave the airport . I need to take the bags out of airport with me ? Or can i leave the baggage at the Left Baggage section ? But then , is the leftBaggage area after Customs clearance section ? And when i come back to airport will i be able to collect the bags from leftBaggage before I checkin at the airport counter ?
Many Thanks .
There is a left luggage service Royal Valtrans/Aviserve lounge I think just before you exit the airport. Charges are Rs. 200 / bag. So fairly reasonable. Not sure how they return your luggage to you if you step out of the airport but I’m sure they will have a process for that.

Keep a printed/electronic copy of your onward ticket and BP along with your ID with you for re-entry to the airport.

Old Apr 5, 2018, 9:58 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
Originally Posted by Anish
Once you clear customs, turn left to the transit check-in counters and check in your baggage on the same level (Arrivals). After you check in your bags here you are free to leave the airport and re-enter through the departures level.
Are you sure you can leave the airport after checking in your luggage? Never tried that in BOM. Certainly can’t do that in DEL. I would think it would be the same here.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 12:29 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Ambassador, Hyatt Explorist, Qatar Gold, Vistara Gold
Originally Posted by PiperAtGatesofDawn
Are you sure you can leave the airport after checking in your luggage? Never tried that in BOM. Certainly can’t do that in DEL. I would think it would be the same here.
Yes because the transfer check-in desks are located in the arrivals hall in BOM. DEL is different, you can't do it there.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 4:57 am

Thanks Anish .. if that works it would be perfect . Leave the bags with the airlines and i can go out and come back to the departure terminal .
Old Apr 6, 2018, 5:00 am

@Anish , You also mentioned of a leftbaggage *outside* the terminal . Is that when you come out of Terminal 2 , through Arrivals ? Do you have a link of their website ? Many Thanks .
Old Apr 6, 2018, 5:15 am

Originally Posted by karthikht
@Anish , You also mentioned of a leftbaggage *outside* the terminal . Is that when you come out of Terminal 2 , through Arrivals ? Do you have a link of their website ? Many Thanks .
https://csia.in/passenger/left-luggage.aspx
Old Apr 6, 2018, 7:30 am

DEL has re-checkin in the arrivals hall as well. Turn right at DEL after leaving customs hall vs. turning left after leaving customs hall in BOM.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 8:14 am

Thanks Guys
Old Apr 7, 2018, 10:44 am

Programs: BA Exec Gold , Qatar Priviledge Club Plat
Hi everyone,

Just wanna confirm that the following below is still correct and doing a instant turnaround is allowed as per example of emirates to emirates ...?
" INTL-to-INTL connections:

Otherwise you have to go through immigration, collect bags and check-in again. This may need appropriate Visa too. If you have to do this, provide for 3 to 4 hours layover to be safe."

Thanks
Old Apr 7, 2018, 10:38 pm

Originally Posted by Flame3601
Hi everyone,

Just wanna confirm that the following below is still correct and doing a instant turnaround is allowed as per example of emirates to emirates ...?

Thanks
That quote is true of any airlines and airport anywhere. I do not understand your question. What exactly are you trying to do and where?
Old Apr 8, 2018, 4:56 am

Programs: AA EXP, TK Elite, HH Gold, SPG/Marriott Gold
What most airlines will not do is tag bags back to its original destination. So if you check bag in DXB then they will not let you check the bag DXB-BOM-DXB. Very rarely you are in such situations but I was in once for a DOH-DXB-DOH-LHR ticket. I had to exit at DXB and recheck for DXB-DOH-LHR flight. This was on QR but true for all....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.