Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > India-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

Air India announces Australia non-stop

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air India announces Australia non-stop

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2013, 5:24 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
The 77L is really borderline...
Old Sep 5, 2013, 5:28 am

Programs: AI-FR, 9W-JP
Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL
The biggest value of putting the 777 on Aus is that it would free up 787s to fly elsewhere.
IIRC, 77W can't operate DEL-SYD or DEL-MEL at its peak capacity. With the load penalty, AI would bleed cash. While the 77L are just Gas-Guzzlers.

OTOH, 787 is the perfect bird to operate the route- good balance of J and Y capacity and efficiently covers the distance.

Given how AI has marketed the Australian routes, if the yeilds are favourable, MEL and SYD can be eventually served with individual flights

BTW, is it true that the domestic 787 flights are to cease once the 787's replace the 77L, leading to the grounding / phase-out of 77L?
Old Sep 5, 2013, 5:36 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

787 domestic is just for flight deck rating purposes and will go away soon. 77L were a grand purchasing mistake by AI, if they could get rid of them they would have already.
Old Sep 5, 2013, 6:01 am
Used to be shahadil

Programs: Flying Returns, Jet Privilege, Hyatt Gold Passport
Originally Posted by GuyFromBOM
IIRC, 77W can't operate DEL-SYD or DEL-MEL at its peak capacity. With the load penalty, AI would bleed cash.
given that they do ord which is 16 hours, australia is 4 hours shorter which frees up about 24t of fuel which will not be burned, which is more than enough to cover any load penalty which will be applicable.

another reason 787's are not doing bom-del is because most of the aircrafts on the route are routed elsewhere and in case 787 has to replace any other 321 on the route, it would mean that aircraft would also have to do either ixc,ixr,ixe,sxr,goi,ixb,bho,ccj,cjb etc,etc. for efficient utilisation of the replaced 321. all those routes i dont see being served by the 787, which is probably why they are not using them on bom-del.

the domestic flights will continue till majority of crew are released. by end of the year they should probably cease.
Old Sep 5, 2013, 5:07 pm

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
DEL-ATQ on 788 will continue.
Old Sep 6, 2013, 4:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL
DEL-ATQ on 788 will continue.
I was going to take this last week but their fare's in Business are silly for a 45 minute flight.
Old Sep 8, 2013, 9:23 pm

Programs: QF WP (OWE) / LTG (LT OWS) | Hyatt Globalist
This, from Times of India - so take the actual story with a massive pinch of salt, but the following made ruin my keyboard.

"There may be more than what meets the eye. Gurpal has threatened to take class action to get our flights stopped. That smacks of a conspiracy to defame AI. Being the only airline that provides direct connectivity between India and Australia, AI has rattled all other airlines that have been the traditional carriers for this huge traffic," said an official.
cue the Foreign Hand jokes...
Old Sep 8, 2013, 9:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
link?
Old Sep 8, 2013, 9:53 pm

Programs: Support the Tyrants Travel Club
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/n...w/22428035.cms

I have no comments...
Old Sep 8, 2013, 11:05 pm

Programs: IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by SpeedFreak
Load maybe, but I think it's more to do with the fact that the 787 does not have crew bunks for cabin crew and at 12.5 hours of flying time it's a major issue for crew rest. That and I believe there is some payload penalty ex-Australia, but I don't believe that is true.
But i thought the 787 was a long haul airliner...?? Interesting to know that there are no crew bunks on the 787...
Old Sep 9, 2013, 2:20 am

Originally Posted by quarryking
But i thought the 787 was a long haul airliner...?? Interesting to know that there are no crew bunks on the 787...
The 787 was initially supposed to cater to the routes served by the A310 and the IC A330s: mid haul in the 6-10 hr range. The ULH (12-14hr like India-US) was to be done by 77L and the former 747 traffic (heavy loads in the 8-12hr range) by the 77W. The cost of flying the 77L is so horrid that if you don't fill the flight with people willing to pay the premium of flying direct the entire concept collapses.
Old Sep 9, 2013, 4:51 am
A2A

Programs: AA, BASilver, TajICGold, MarriottPlatinum,HyattGlobalist, EYGold, AI
there are crew bunks on the 787 http://www.ausbt.com.au/photos-insid...crew-rest-loft
Old Sep 9, 2013, 5:22 am

Depends on the carrier if they really want it...
Old Sep 9, 2013, 6:36 am
Used to be shahadil

Programs: Flying Returns, Jet Privilege, Hyatt Gold Passport
Originally Posted by quarryking
Quote:

Originally Posted by SpeedFreak

Load maybe, but I think it's more to do with the fact that the 787 does not have crew bunks for cabin crew and at 12.5 hours of flying time it's a major issue for crew rest. That and I believe there is some payload penalty ex-Australia, but I don't believe that is true.

There are 2 cockpit crew bunks, but no cabin crew bunks on air India 787's.
Old Sep 25, 2013, 10:41 am

Programs: Lots, some no/low status some high status, can't be bothered to list them :-)
AI SYD-DEL-LHR. Flying in business? AI will pay for your hotel on the O/N stopover

On my flight home SYD-DEL-LHR it leaves us with a 12 hour stopover in DEL. We are travelling in business class. I've been talking to a very helpful lady at AI over the past couple of months. Today I have received confirmation that AI are paying the cost of a night in the Eton airport hotel for those in business with this stopover. I have my email and voucher.
^ to AI for this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.