Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > India-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

Air India announces Australia non-stop

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air India announces Australia non-stop

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2011, 7:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BD*G, BAGold, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat
AI: DEL-MEL fully approved

Air India to start daily direct flight from Delhi to Melbourne

NEW DELHI: After a delay of about 6 months, Air India will be launching its direct flights to Melbourne from here.

"The Civil Aviation Ministry has approved our request and granted Air India the traffic rights to operate seven services per week on Delhi-Melbourne sector," an Air India spokesperson said.

Melbourne would be the 34th international city on the list of Air India destinations.

The national carrier was to start Delhi-Melbourne daily direct flight from the winter schedule starting October last.

It has been a long-standing demand of the Indians, including many students studying and settled in Australia, the spokesperson said.

Air India is planning to add more international destinations to its operations and in Australia, it is eyeing Melbourne.
This will be great once they enter *A.. Another option for Europe and Central Asia to Australia.
Old Feb 25, 2011, 7:23 pm

Programs: IHG Platinum
The India - Australia sector could certainly benefit from the extra seats..Fares hit the roof during the Nov/ Dec season on this route.
Old Feb 26, 2011, 7:43 am

Yet another vanity route with absolutely no justification for its operation other than some anecdotal tale about "lots of students". I'll give it 8 months.
Old Feb 26, 2011, 10:22 am
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Yes!
Originally Posted by B747-437B
Yet another vanity route with absolutely no justification for its operation other than some anecdotal tale about "lots of students". I'll give it 8 months.
+1.

Maybe some "mantri" has recently shipped off his son/daughter to study in Oz, and needs easy regular F/J rides at Y prices for the whole family!
Old Feb 26, 2011, 11:08 pm

Programs: IHG Platinum
Do you think a flight ex MAA would work..??
Old Feb 26, 2011, 11:33 pm

Programs: QF WP (OWE) / LTG (LT OWS) | Hyatt Globalist
Is this a non-stop flight or will it be routed via SIN using it as a feeder hub?

Atleast they've kept the vanity factor somewhat in check and not gone for a route to SYD, which, IMHO would have even lesser numbers than MEL.

The tale about "lots of students" isn't anecdotal insofar as the actual number of Indian students in Australia in general and Melbourne in particular is concerned. The story about students demanding an Air India flight, on the other hand.... well, can't blame AI for reaching out to its target market, can we!

With AI yet to join *A, why anyone down under would fly on AI between MEL and DEL is beyond me. Perhaps AI is strictly targeting the O/D and VFR (mainly inbound from MEL!!) market between the two cities, which goes through peaks during February, July and November, coinciding with the start of Autumn and Spring sessions and Summer vacation at the universities down under.

As it currently stands, there's one stop options between DEL and MEL on SQ, TG, CX, MH, 9W/IT/QF.
Old Feb 27, 2011, 1:03 am

Programs: AA EXP HH GOLD EY GOLD
Originally Posted by SQ421
Is this a non-stop flight or will it be routed via SIN using it as a feeder hub?
According to circle mapper DEL-MEL is 6322 mile much shorter than DEL-JFK 7318 miles, so within range to start Non-Stop. Then what AI management decides is beyond anybody's imagination.
Old Feb 27, 2011, 1:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: BD*G, BAGold, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat
Maybe AI will be targetting this flight mainly at the european market. There is a lot of demand EU-Aus and if AI can offer competitive fares then I don't see why they couldn't fill seats.
Old Feb 27, 2011, 3:23 am

Programs: BA Gold (OW Emerald) & Jet Airways - Thank goodness i never got started.......most awful FF program
Students demanding an Air India flight? yeah right as if Air India have ceded to such demands. The gujjus in the UK have been demanding Ahmedabad flights for years with no luck..........(apart from a brief period using crappy flyglobespan 767s).

The DEL-MEL may work with cheapo passengers connecting from LHR and other non stop flights who would not mind an 8 hr transit on the way back etc etc.

Any ideas what the premium fares are like?
Old Feb 27, 2011, 3:43 am

Originally Posted by d3vski
The gujjus in the UK have been demanding Ahmedabad flights for years with no luck..........(apart from a brief period using crappy flyglobespan 767s).
Actually AMD-LHR operated for a number of years with the 744s (AI 121 on Fri/Sun) long before the Globespan 767s were on the scene. It used to be the easiest seat to nonrev into London on, so I am quite familiar with it! The Gujjus however were happy enough to fly via somewhere else to save £20 so it couldn't command the yields needed to maintain the flight.
Old Feb 27, 2011, 3:51 am

Programs: BA Gold (OW Emerald) & Jet Airways - Thank goodness i never got started.......most awful FF program
Actually AMD-LHR operated for a number of years with the 744s (AI 121 on Fri/Sun) long before the Globespan 767s were on the scene. It used to be the easiest seat to nonrev into London on, so I am quite familiar with it! The Gujjus however were happy enough to fly via somewhere else to save £20 so it couldn't command the yields needed to maintain the flight.
was it connected to a USA destination?

So true about the Gujjus. They demand a flight but refuse to pay an extra £10 to go direct and will endure ridiculous layovers in middle east!
Old Feb 27, 2011, 3:52 am

Originally Posted by SQ421
The tale about "lots of students" isn't anecdotal insofar as the actual number of Indian students in Australia in general and Melbourne in particular is concerned.
The problem about students is that the market is price sensitive, low yield and that they all want to travel at the same time (viz. vacations/breaks). No matter how large the absolute market size, you always spill demand during the peak. In my experience, they are also among the highest cost passengers to service as their look-to-book ratio averages above 50 (compared to an industry average of 8) which in itself is not a problem, but when you combine it with the 3x greater call center resources they utilise as well, they become a market segment you don't really want to build your route on.
Old Feb 27, 2011, 3:59 am

Originally Posted by d3vski
was it connected to a USA destination?
Nope. BOM-AMD-LHR-AMD-BOM. AI 121 on Friday/Sunday mornings and AI 120 leaving Friday/Sunday nights. Started around 2003 and ran until around 2007.

There was a one-off flight that ran ORD-LHR-AMD in September/October 2003 however that was a special flight due to Navratri.
Old Feb 27, 2011, 4:34 am

Programs: QF, VN, SQ, SPG, IHG PG
There has been a lot of Indian interests in MEL, mostly students and families who live in Melbourne (VFR), every Year there are huge amounts of Indians traveling on SQ, TG, MH & even back tracking on EK to fly to India. And the market is growing strongly with double digit growth year on year, AI would also have NZ to feed NZ traffic exMEL onto DEL.

Having a direct option at the right price would be very attractive IMO, if AI could also get domestic connections that would be an added bonus.

India is said to be emerging into one of MEL's top markets, just behind China, where the growth is just phenomenal.
Old Feb 27, 2011, 5:08 am

Programs: QF WP (OWE) / LTG (LT OWS) | Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by pogonation
Maybe AI will be targetting this flight mainly at the european market. There is a lot of demand EU-Aus and if AI can offer competitive fares then I don't see why they couldn't fill seats.
I don't see AI making inroads into the Kangaroo route. Not any meaningful ones anyways. Even ignoring the transit visa costs associated with transiting in India (i'm unsure if visa less, airside transit is possible in India yet...), the fare on AI would have to be substantially lower than that offered by SQ/CX/EK/EY/QF for anyone apart from the most price sensitive traveler to make the switch. To be fair, I have not flown in and out of DEL international since after the renovation, but BOM is technically my "home" port, and even with the new facilities air side, I wouldn't want to contemplate a transit flight via BOM.

In case of IRROPS, each of the aforementioned airlines offer multiple flights into Australia from their hubs in SIN/DXB/AUH/HKG (and multiple flights a day between major European cities) into their hubs, which would tilt the balance in their favour; and the fact that Australian/NZ and EU Citizens get visa on arrival at each of these hubs - to make their delay a touch more comfortable, in case of substantial skewering of schedules as it happened after the QF32 incident

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.