Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > India-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

Which airline best for honoring 2 piece system?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Which airline best for honoring 2 piece system?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2011, 1:43 am

Programs: AA Plat,PC Plat, HHonors Gold
SPice jet. They allow 2 bags if you have an international flight within 24 hours
Old Jan 25, 2011, 12:14 am

Programs: CX DM, BA G4L, QR PLT, EK PLT, Hyatt CourtesyC, HH DM, SQ PPS, BonvoyTit, UK, VS, UA, DL, AA
Originally Posted by abhilife2001
yes, but tickets never carry the total baggage allowance including elite allowance.. they only carry the standard for that class and sector of travel ..
Elite allowance granted by LH is for LH fliers and fellow star alliance carriers - why should 9W grant you that allowance if you aren't a regular flier with them - elite status on one airline does not grant you a higher luggage allowance on other airlines.

In some cases (eg 9W/GF) non-alliance airlines have reciprocal arrangements... where both carriers elite member's have excess baggage and other benefits when flying the other carrier..
Old Jan 25, 2011, 12:27 am

Programs: CX DM, BA G4L, QR PLT, EK PLT, Hyatt CourtesyC, HH DM, SQ PPS, BonvoyTit, UK, VS, UA, DL, AA
Just confirmed with 9W - their policy has been reviewed since they are now an international airline competing on transatlantic flights they are no longer allowing pc concept when connecting to their flights on seperate ticket..

see quote below from jetairways.com

"Unless and otherwise specified in the fare rule, the 2 piece baggage allowance will apply on all Jet Airways operated flights and Jet Airways Konnect services provided the connecting flights to / from USA / Canada are ticketed in the same ticket as the Jet Airways / Jet Airways Konnect service, failing which excess baggage charges will be applicable."

link to baggage policy:http://www.jetairways.com/EN/IN/Bagg...edBaggage.aspx
Old Jan 25, 2011, 2:57 am

Programs: Avis Preferred Plus
any airlines with reasonable excess fees?

Traveling from ATL-BKK because Delta let me redeem 60,000 miles roundtrip and I was planning on visiting BKK anyway on this trip.I am allowed 2 check ins by Delta. But India is my main destination and I want to fly to Hyderabad(maybe even chennai). Air Asia has a decent allowance of 30Kg(if you pay 15 bucks or so extra) from BKK-CCU(calcutta). So if I want to buy a domestic airline ticket from CCU to HYD, I will have to deal with the 20kg lmit anyway.

The problem is Thai Air(direct flight from BKK-HYD), Kingfisher, Jet all have ridiculous charges even for limited excess weight. If I take merely 30 kg, the 10kg excess weight will be charged anywhere from 120-150 dollars. Spice Jet is not too bad with only 2 bucks per extra kg. But I dont know if I want to stay an entire day in Kolkota for the conneciton.

Is there any airline other than Spice Jet that has a tolerable second bag allowance.

Or I might just have to bite bullet timewise, take Air Asia from BKK to Kuala Lumpur, and then from there to Chennai and tour Kuala Lumpur in between, I guess. The savings would pay for a hotel for a day in Kuala Lumpur and let me tour an extra country.

Last edited by saneman; Jan 25, 2011 at 3:20 am
Old Jan 31, 2011, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
hmmm..thanks for the reply..

yeah.. but this can be resolved by showing the membership card with printout of weight eligibility from the net..
Didn't work for me for EWR-DEL-KTM (CO to AI). Air India insisted on extra money even though bags were checked through. They wanted me to show
that I paid for bags with CO. I'm elite, so did not have to pay (I took 3 bags x 70 lb).

Although I did slash down what I finally agreed to pay. For some lucky reason, I was on business on AI (technically an IA flight).
Old Feb 1, 2011, 1:58 am

Programs: Don't think it matters...
Originally Posted by aacharya
Didn't work for me for EWR-DEL-KTM (CO to AI). Air India insisted on extra money even though bags were checked through. They wanted me to show
that I paid for bags with CO. I'm elite, so did not have to pay (I took 3 bags x 70 lb).

Although I did slash down what I finally agreed to pay. For some lucky reason, I was on business on AI (technically an IA flight).
hmmm.. was the transfer within 24 hrs of the intl connection ? if yes, then its interesting and we should see what is given on their website and by their agents..
IIRC, 9W has changed some rules on this recently..
Old Feb 1, 2011, 9:56 am

anyone has recent experience with Continental- Kingfisher connection in mumbai.
Old Feb 2, 2011, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
hmmm.. was the transfer within 24 hrs of the intl connection ? if yes, then its interesting and we should see what is given on their website and by their agents..
IIRC, 9W has changed some rules on this recently..
Yes, and I was stuck, as AI first cancelled the flight I had been on, and then I needed a boarding pass from them. (Although I had bought a visa, I didn't want to chance security issues by leaving the terminal to go find a CO rep to help me).
Old Mar 2, 2011, 2:12 pm

here is my experience..i flew CO ewr-bom in business with two bags each more than 60 lbs. i arrived at the BOM around 10:00 PM and my connecting flight was on Kingfisher next day morning at 10:00 AM. as soon as i completed immigration and custom i headed to the transfer/checkin counter setup by Kingfisher and Jet. Checkin representative refused to take my beggage because my flight was after 11 hours (next day) i requsted him in extreamly polite way but he refused to check my bags, i tired couple more times but the same answer. another gentlemen arrived to check his beggage for the 6:30 AM flight to chennai and Checkin person checked in him and also ME. he did not ask about the beggage weight and it was all fine. i think it all depends on Person at desk but in my opinion Jet airways is much flexible than Kingfisher.
Old Mar 2, 2011, 11:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by awesome75
i think it all depends on Person at desk
very true....doesn't matter which airline, the person checking you in calls the shots....
Old Mar 3, 2011, 9:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by awesome75
here is my experience..i flew CO ewr-bom in business with two bags each more than 60 lbs. i arrived at the BOM around 10:00 PM and my connecting flight was on Kingfisher next day morning at 10:00 AM. as soon as i completed immigration and custom i headed to the transfer/checkin counter setup by Kingfisher and Jet. Checkin representative refused to take my beggage because my flight was after 11 hours (next day) i requsted him in extreamly polite way but he refused to check my bags, i tired couple more times but the same answer. another gentlemen arrived to check his beggage for the 6:30 AM flight to chennai and Checkin person checked in him and also ME. he did not ask about the beggage weight and it was all fine. i think it all depends on Person at desk but in my opinion Jet airways is much flexible than Kingfisher.
I was denied an extra 12kgs by AI today. Apparently they only honor AI international passengers.
Old Jun 4, 2012, 1:46 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, HH Dia, Hyatt Dia, SPG Plat, IHG Plat
intl (US) to dom or dom to intl (US)..any current info?
seems like following is the current situation:

Spicejet - allows 2 bags, 23kg each - written policy
Air India - mixed experience - some allowed 2 bags, some did not. --haven't seen a written policy.
Jet - now only a domestic allowance - written policy
Indigo - only domestic allowance in my experience

agree?
Old Jun 4, 2012, 1:51 am

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Originally Posted by lallyr
I was denied an extra 12kgs by AI today. Apparently they only honor AI international passengers.
You actually flying AI?!
Old Jun 4, 2012, 2:26 am

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by haricharan
Air India - mixed experience - some allowed 2 bags, some did not. --haven't seen a written policy.
I have consistently been given international allowance with AI. However, that might be because I'm a silver and therefore the agents have more leeway.
Old Jun 4, 2012, 5:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by SuperFlyBoy
You actually flying AI?!
Only option sometimes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.