Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > India-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

Which airline best for honoring 2 piece system?

Old Dec 6, 2010, 8:10 am
Original Poster

Hi

I am flying in and out of India via Etihad. I am booking my domestic segments within India separately (economy class)

Which airlines is best to honor the 2 piece baggage allowance(I have the return Etihad ticket to show).

Currently, Indigo is showing the lowest domestic fares.

Thanks,

Last edited by zoonil; Dec 6, 2010 at 8:25 am
Old Dec 6, 2010, 8:16 am

What is the 2 piece system?
Old Dec 6, 2010, 8:24 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by starflyer
What is the 2 piece system?
baggage allowance 2 pieces as opposed to a set weight limit (eg. 20kg)
Old Dec 6, 2010, 9:50 am

There is no 2-piece allowance on domestic flights unless booked as a single trip combined with a qualifying international flight. Now sometimes the rule may be waived, but it depends on the agent and on the phase of the moon rather than on the airline.

I have had luggage fees waived by Jet, Deccan and Kingfisher after stopovers, even though the 2-piece allowance only applies to connections. I've never tried to do this with separate tickets, and even if I had, my experience would not translate to a general rule.
Old Dec 6, 2010, 9:52 am

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by zoonil
Hi

I am flying in and out of India via Etihad. I am booking my domestic segments within India separately (economy class)

Which airlines is best to honor the 2 piece baggage allowance(I have the return Etihad ticket to show).

Currently, Indigo is showing the lowest domestic fares.

Thanks,
The short answer is that none of them have to honour your Etihad baggage allowance. You have booked two separate tickets.

Any of them could but I doubt they will. Why not try changing your ticket to include the domestic sector? If the answer is, I can/could have done but it's far more expensive, then that's the cost of (a) the extra baggage allowance and (b) an airline rebooking you if the previous flight is delayed / cancelled.
Old Dec 6, 2010, 10:32 am

Programs: Don't think it matters...
Jet Airways is a partner for Etihad .. I have never faced problems with 2 peice concept or baggage when I am on an intl connection within 12 hrs with 9w..If u r on a full service airline connectinv to an intl airline, ur international baggae allownace will be allowed as per my experience..

Last edited by abhilife2001; Dec 6, 2010 at 10:36 am Reason: Edited
Old Dec 6, 2010, 10:37 am

Jet, Jet connect, King Fisher, Spice Jet allows 2 piece -

Hi
I have done 2 piece check in with Jet, Jet connect, KingFisher, Spice Jet by showing my international ticket, though I booked the indian domestic sector seperately.

Again this is from my experience.
Old Dec 6, 2010, 12:51 pm

Programs: Hyatt, AA
Originally Posted by kalia960
There is no 2-piece allowance on domestic flights unless booked as a single trip combined with a qualifying international flight. Now sometimes the rule may be waived, but it depends on the agent and on the phase of the moon rather than on the airline.

I have had luggage fees waived by Jet, Deccan and Kingfisher after stopovers, even though the 2-piece allowance only applies to connections. I've never tried to do this with separate tickets, and even if I had, my experience would not translate to a general rule.
I've gotten lucky with Indigo. I wasn't on a connecting ticket, but I made my second piece my carry on (14 kg) and my checked bag was 24 kg. They didn't even weigh my carry on or say anything about the checked bag. YMMV. The overage charge is Rs. 100 per kg, so it's not too bad even if they do end up charging you
Old Dec 6, 2010, 7:17 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriot Platinum
As mentioned earlier, KF / Jet airways have been known to allow 2 Piece Luggage if there is International Arrival / Departure within 24 Hrs (Even if the Domestic Ticket is booked separately).

Look thru the FAQ or E mail the Customer Service. I have done it few times with Paramount Airways.
Old Dec 7, 2010, 2:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
i check 2 bags on jet domestic all the time....but keep in mind, i am traveling business & have the citi jet card which gives me extra allowance....but in all my years of traveling with jet i have never had a problem checking in 2 bags....
Old Dec 7, 2010, 8:13 am
Original Poster

Thanks every one for your responses. So it looks like I should stick to a full service carrier (KF, Jet). The one thing I forgot to mention was, that it is not an immediate connection within 24 hours. My domestic segment commences a few days after I arrive in India.
Old Dec 7, 2010, 8:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
The one thing I forgot to mention was, that it is not an immediate connection within 24 hours. My domestic segment commences a few days after I arrive in India.
doesn't matter....if you have separate tickets then it doesn't matter whether you are connecting immediately or 10 days later....
Old Dec 7, 2010, 9:11 am

Programs: Don't think it matters...
Originally Posted by saad
doesn't matter....if you have separate tickets then it doesn't matter whether you are connecting immediately or 10 days later....
Thanks every one for your responses. So it looks like I should stick to a full service carrier (KF, Jet). The one thing I forgot to mention was, that it is not an immediate connection within 24 hours. My domestic segment commences a few days after I arrive in India.
Aha.. I hv faced problems with the stopover was for more than 24 hrs if on separate tickets.. If on separate tickets but stopover is less than 24hrs then most airlines will allow and not have a problem.. BUT if stopover is more than 24hrs, there may be problems IME..
Old Dec 7, 2010, 12:56 pm

You should have given the full story from the beginning. It doesn't matter what carrier you are on. You will have to pay for excess luggage.
Old Dec 8, 2010, 10:19 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kalia960
You should have given the full story from the beginning. It doesn't matter what carrier you are on. You will have to pay for excess luggage.
if you can't help you don't have to post. posting in this thread is not compulosory.

Like previous posters have said, and in my past experience Jet and Kingfisher have been extremely generous in accomodating 2 pieces (2x their regular baggage limit) without any problem.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.