Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Iberia Airlines | Iberia Plus
Reload this Page >

Iberia customer service: like blood out of a stone?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2024, 9:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, AA PLT PRO, AGR, Strawberry (Nordic Choice), Marriott Bonvoy

Trying to contact Iberia customer service about a bad experience involving broken features on their app, and recalcitrant/surly (maybe badly trained?) checkin agents unwilling to help with things that most other airlines can do easily.

The webform for Customer Service issues provides a limited selection of topics, and the one I chose wasn't exactly the right one but seemed close enough. Unfortnately, the response showed they hadn't read the message clearly enough and provided irrelevant reasons in reply. I called them and their phone agent said customer complaints can only be dealt with through the website, and to submit another complaint form, which seems like a complete waste of time.

Has anyone had any success getting IB to respond and provide any goodwill gestures for bad experiences (nominal cash-equivalent vouchers, some number of goodwill Avios, etc)?
Old Feb 27, 2024, 1:59 am

Programs: IB Plat - Hilton Gold - Marriott Gold - IHG Ambassador
As a platinum IB member I can tell you that their technology is terrible. Customer Service agents suffer it as well and when you speak about something different from what they are used to deal with, it is a useless conversation.
Nothing will change coming from the customer experience side.
These things are very badly handled unfortunately.
salut0, Seanish and anngi like this.
Old Feb 27, 2024, 3:52 am

Programs: BAEC
If you select the 'Assistance' claim type it's essentially a freeform type where you can report any type of issue.

I was recently incorrectly charged for a checked bag MAD-LHR as BA Silver/OW Sapphire. The most likely reason is that for the 15 months since gaining Silver IB have me as OW Ruby in their system, despite requesting multiple times through Twitter for this to be fixed, and assured it would be. This meant that I had to justify my rights at each priority entry point, which was a chore, as well as having to reach out on Twitter to request free seat assignment.

Anyway, despite having a heated conversation with the check-in agent who made up some rubbish about OW status level earned on other airlines FFPs counted one level less on IB, she would not budge, and I had recalled reading on FT that someone had had this happen and simply claimed later. The queue was growing, I was getting angry so I just paid and went on my way.

First, second, and third claim for reimbursement, each providing additional data points and reasoning were all rejected. From doing some research on using arbitration to seek resolution, it appears that IB will only consider paying out compensation if arbitration rules in the customer's favour, and the only route to Spanish arbitration that I could find is EU261 which does not include ancillary expenses, such as excess baggage. Private action is required which is just not worth the time and expense. In a slightly nose/spite/face mood I have decided never to use IB again, I am simply disgusted with their customer service attitude.

TL;DR - I would be surprised if you could convince them to make a goodwill gesture, given how reluctant they apparently are to pay out for genuine compensation.
Old Feb 27, 2024, 4:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SimonAB
If you select the 'Assistance' claim type it's essentially a freeform type where you can report any type of issue.
That’s helpful to know.

I was recently incorrectly charged for a checked bag MAD-LHR as BA Silver/OW Sapphire. The most likely reason is that for the 15 months since gaining Silver IB have me as OW Ruby in their system, despite requesting multiple times through Twitter for this to be fixed, and assured it would be. This meant that I had to justify my rights at each priority entry point, which was a chore, as well as having to reach out on Twitter to request free seat assignment.

Anyway, despite having a heated conversation with the check-in agent who made up some rubbish about OW status level earned on other airlines FFPs counted one level less on IB, she would not budge, and I had recalled reading on FT that someone had had this happen and simply claimed later. The queue was growing, I was getting angry so I just paid and went on my way.

First, second, and third claim for reimbursement, each providing additional data points and reasoning were all rejected. From doing some research on using arbitration to seek resolution, it appears that IB will only consider paying out compensation if arbitration rules in the customer's favour, and the only route to Spanish arbitration that I could find is EU261 which does not include ancillary expenses, such as excess baggage. Private action is required which is just not worth the time and expense. In a slightly nose/spite/face mood I have decided never to use IB again, I am simply disgusted with their customer service attitude.

TL;DR - I would be surprised if you could convince them to make a goodwill gesture, given how reluctant they apparently are to pay out for genuine compensation.
Wonder if you could just dispute the credit card charge with your bank and explain to the bank that IB won’t handle it properly?
Old Feb 27, 2024, 5:01 am

Originally Posted by salut0
Wonder if you could just dispute the credit card charge with your bank and explain to the bank that IB won’t handle it properly?
I didn't think of that, and since it was early Jan it might too late. It was a small price I didn't really mind paying given the mostly free holiday I has just been on, and the HBO fare difference accounted for some of it, but it was the principle and attitude that grated.
salut0 likes this.
Old Feb 27, 2024, 5:04 am
Original Poster

I didn't think of that, and since it was early Jan it might too late. It was a small price I didn't really mind paying given the mostly free holiday I has just been on, and the HBO fare difference accounted for some of it, but it was the principle and attitude that grated.
I generally find these things can be dealt with within 60 days in the USA — not sure if UK credit cards work the same way?

I thoroughly appreciate your sentiment — I felt the same way. Luckily despite all our other frustrations about other matters, we were not charged for the checked bag on our HBO ticket because (miracle of miracles!) the check in agent either recognized that BA Bronze on an AA codeshare IB operated ticket gets a free checked bag, or they just didn’t notice.
Old Feb 28, 2024, 3:25 am

Programs: IB+ Oro / OWS
Originally Posted by salut0
Trying to contact Iberia customer service about a bad experience involving broken features on their app, and recalcitrant/surly (maybe badly trained?) checkin agents unwilling to help with things that most other airlines can do easily.

The webform for Customer Service issues provides a limited selection of topics, and the one I chose wasn't exactly the right one but seemed close enough. Unfortnately, the response showed they hadn't read the message clearly enough and provided irrelevant reasons in reply. I called them and their phone agent said customer complaints can only be dealt with through the website, and to submit another complaint form, which seems like a complete waste of time.

Has anyone had any success getting IB to respond and provide any goodwill gestures for bad experiences (nominal cash-equivalent vouchers, some number of goodwill Avios, etc)?
What were the broken app features, in addition to not displaying the gate?
What were the check in agents unwilling to help with, the interlining?
There's a whole BA thread on 'the most avios compensation' so I'm curious what BA normally pays out for the same infringements....
Old Feb 28, 2024, 3:36 am

Showing the BAEC app or a recent BA BP with Silver/OWS didn't help?
Old Feb 28, 2024, 6:23 am

Originally Posted by csycsycsy
Showing the BAEC app or a recent BA BP with Silver/OWS didn't help?
First thing I did was show my BAEC status in the app followed by a screenshot clip from the IB website showing the baggage entitlements for OWS. Once computer had said no she took an entrenched position and then I got the one tier down explanation, which she told me happens a lot! At this point, realising that she had little understanding of OneWorld I considered asking to speak to a manager, but suspected they may just take her side, and I didn't want to create a scene and was confident that I could just claim it back. My first complaint was rejected on the basis that OW Ruby has no baggage entitlement, despite my evidence that I was Sapphire. Subsequent complaints included additional evidence, including MAD-SDQ-MAD boarding passes, issued at the same time, outbound showing Ruby, inbound showing Sapphire, which clearly demonstrated a bug in their system, as well as screenshots of Twitter exchanges with IB where they stated that the problems I had been having with incorrect status can be due to the status not reflecting correctly in IB's systems. Both follow up complaints were rejected saying the original outcome was correct. Clearly no interest in being honest or accepting responsibility, hence my vow never to use IB again.
Old Feb 29, 2024, 4:37 am

First thing I did was show my BAEC status in the app followed by a screenshot clip from the IB website showing the baggage entitlements for OWS. Once computer had said no she took an entrenched position and then I got the one tier down explanation, which she told me happens a lot! At this point, realising that she had little understanding of OneWorld I considered asking to speak to a manager, but suspected they may just take her side, and I didn't want to create a scene and was confident that I could just claim it back. My first complaint was rejected on the basis that OW Ruby has no baggage entitlement, despite my evidence that I was Sapphire. Subsequent complaints included additional evidence, including MAD-SDQ-MAD boarding passes, issued at the same time, outbound showing Ruby, inbound showing Sapphire, which clearly demonstrated a bug in their system, as well as screenshots of Twitter exchanges with IB where they stated that the problems I had been having with incorrect status can be due to the status not reflecting correctly in IB's systems. Both follow up complaints were rejected saying the original outcome was correct. Clearly no interest in being honest or accepting responsibility, hence my vow never to use IB again.
The agent's "one tier down explanation" probably refers to IB only giving their own OWRs free baggage but not to other OW OWRs.
I'm sorry about the check-in experience and ex-post rejections, especially with all the preparation, but thank you for being considerate (not holding the queue).
The an OW airline not picking up status from another is not shocking but "MAD-SDQ-MAD boarding passes, issued at the same time, outbound showing Ruby, inbound showing Sapphire"???
So it's something to do with ex-MAD departures and not ex-MAD check in....

Did some FT searching....
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/35146589-post9.html
CWS says "There is an online database accessible to oneworld airlines, where FF numbers and names can be verified" OK.
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/35421341-post69.html
Asks the IT mechanics (unanswered).

Perhaps you can try asking BAEC to tell IB+ off?
Old Feb 29, 2024, 5:16 am

Thanks for the follow up. I'm reluctant to drag the OP's post even further off track, but to address some points

The agent's "one tier down explanation" probably refers to IB only giving their own OWRs free baggage but not to other OW OWRs.
Perhaps but my recollection is that she genuinely believed that OWS gained via BAEC (or any other OW airline other than IB) equates to OWR on IB.

So it's something to do with ex-MAD departures and not ex-MAD check in....
All my LHR-XXX-LHR trips to Spain on IB metal (IB or BA ticket), but BPs are only issued 24 hrs prior to departure, as seems standard. I've never before (AFAIR) been issued with both BPs at first checkin.

Did some FT searching....
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/35146589-post9.html
CWS says "There is an online database accessible to oneworld airlines, where FF numbers and names can be verified" OK.
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/35421341-post69.html
Asks the IT mechanics (unanswered).
Yes, I'd be curious to know how OW status is determined from fellow member FFP numbers

Perhaps you can try asking BAEC to tell IB+ off?
Very unlikely to be Silver again. Never done a TP run before but the 450TP reduced rate combined with a bank error in my favour and the prospect of several Y trips to Spain on my own (other half is always at least Silver) made it seem worthwhile.

I am generally Bronze and this seems to reflect correctly in IB's systems so no real reason to push to get this fixed.

It dawned on me after this experience that perhaps Avios were not being rewarded correctly, which they weren't, but given how uncooperative IB have been I couldn't be bothered to lodge further complaints.
Old Feb 29, 2024, 8:52 am

Programs: IB+ Oro (OWS) / FB / SQ
Re. OP: I find that there's normally not much point chasing things with IB, especially without IB+ status (and even having that often doesn't mean much). In the past it has sometimes taken me many, many emails to resolve what should be straightforward issues.

Perhaps but my recollection is that she genuinely believed that OWS gained via BAEC (or any other OW airline other than IB) equates to OWR on IB.
Funny enough, last year I flew QR Y from MAD and the check-in agents (and every gate agent but one), provided by Iberia, told me I didn't have priority boarding despite being OWS, because they claimed my IB+ Oro only equated to OWR with QR (my boarding pass indicated Group 3). At the gate there was one helpful agent who very comprehensively told his colleagues off for giving out the wrong information and let me (correctly) board with the priority customers. Seems like it's something IB tells their agents, to take a tier off OW status on partner airlines? Even though it's clearly wrong.
salut0 likes this.

Last edited by chacor; Feb 29, 2024 at 9:55 am Reason: clarify priority boarding vs group 1
Old Mar 1, 2024, 4:55 am

It dawned on me after this experience that perhaps Avios were not being rewarded correctly, which they weren't, but given how uncooperative IB have been I couldn't be bothered to lodge further complaints.
I think you claim this through BAEC, and maybe you can get the baggage fee too...

Originally Posted by chacor

Funny enough, last year I flew QR Y from MAD and the check-in agents (and every gate agent but one), provided by Iberia, told me I didn't have priority boarding despite being OWS, because they claimed my IB+ Oro only equated to OWR with QR (my boarding pass indicated Group 3). At the gate there was one helpful agent who very comprehensively told his colleagues off for giving out the wrong information and let me (correctly) board with the priority customers. Seems like it's something IB tells their agents, to take a tier off OW status on partner airlines? Even though it's clearly wrong.
Interesting, two data points, conspiracy or *up? Perhaps it came from Gold in AA/IB/BA = R/S/E?

So QR doesn't do boarding group 123 bump for E/S/R? Premium pax boards first then status in Y then Y? I like it.

And still waiting to hear from OP....

Last edited by csycsycsy; Mar 1, 2024 at 8:04 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.