Community
Wiki Posts
Search

IB's catering & service during COVID-19

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2021, 2:23 am

Programs: Executive Club
Originally Posted by zoegksf
Is the lack of wine a cost thing or a Covid-19/20/21/22[?] thing? I thought they just didn't want people getting borracho and spitting air particles all over the plane. If it is the former, I will buy my own bottle at duty free and ask them to serve it to me.
I was also told that it was to stop you from wanting to use the toilets, as they have cleverly decided that 14 crew need their own toilet, but 31 business-class passengers are less important and they can all cram in one toilet. To avoid Covid. Even though they don't have this rule on their sister company.
feysul likes this.
Old Jun 21, 2021, 4:07 am

ZAG-MAD

MAD-BOG

MAD-BOG

Good quality meals, but a little too salty. Crew offered second round of wines.
feysul likes this.
Old Jun 25, 2021, 5:12 am

Programs: BAEC Gold / Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by dcas
Not sure what Spanish or EU regulations are, but IB flight attendants are usually so inattentive that I wouldn't be concerned. IB's rationale:

https://www.iberia.com/us/on-board/o...s-plus-cellar/
As part of our COVID19 health and safety protocols we have adapted our wine service, temporally removing or amending some products to minimize interactions between customers and crew. Drinks will be served with each meal and will be limited to 1 at this point in time.

We are working to resume the usual service as soon as possible.

https://www.iberia.com/us/on-board/on-board-menu/

As one of the health and safety measures we have implemented in the wake of COVID-19, we have adapted our on-board service by temporarily removing or altering certain products to minimise contact between customers and crew. As a result of these changes, drinks will only be served with meals.
Nothing surprises me about Iberia anymore. Absolute shambles of an airline. I'd have been spitting blood had they tried to get away with serving me 1 glass of wine on 12 hour business class flight. Says a lot that now I'd rather fly MEX-USA-MAD than direct.
feysul likes this.
Old Jun 25, 2021, 7:01 am

Do you all talk Spanish to them and or are from Spain?

I’ve never had any problems with them or noticed the FAs were too cold or unfriendly. But I am Spanish and talk to them in español. I have noticed that, although completely wrong, they don’t treat people who speak in English as nice, or people who speak Spanish but come from countries like mex..
Old Jul 2, 2021, 6:10 am
bil

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott Platinum
How does catering look like for short peninsular flights (BIO/SVQ) right now? Any pictures?
Old Jul 6, 2021, 12:42 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, M&M Senator
how do you request a special meal on an intra-European biz class flight? I can't find the option on the Iberia website (actually, it seems to be greyed out).
Old Jul 7, 2021, 1:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM
Is the 1 drink limited to just wine? Flying ORD-MAD in J at the end of July and 1 drink isn't going to cut it.
Old Jul 7, 2021, 1:57 pm

Programs: Iberia Platino,15x Southwest Companion Pass/ Hilton LT Diamond/ Hertz PC, OWEmerald; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by mlx52
Is the 1 drink limited to just wine? Flying ORD-MAD in J at the end of July and 1 drink isn't going to cut it.
I was on a similar flight 3 weeks ago. I did see the FA offer another passenger another small bottle of GIN. i also noticed that the "generosity" with liquor is very dependent upon the culture of that particular crew on board for that flight. ORD>MAD they were a bit stingy....I did get a second poor but had to ask for it....MAD>ORD they offered a second pour to everyone. I dont know about liquor but I think how you approach the FA will have alot to do with it.. I would try everything... ask for the second drink is Spanish...even if you spanish is weak... they will appreciate it..

if all fails just keep asking them directly. I really dont think you will have an issue.
Old Jul 8, 2021, 1:47 am

When I have flown recently the crew seem to hide in the galley at the front for most of the flight, curtain closed, and you're not allowed to use the bathroom up there. So it was hard to ask them for anything. If you need an extra drink, I would suggest you take some miniatures of whatever spirit you drink (ideally one that mixes with coke) in your carry-on and then buy some bottles of coke airside. That's what I have done on Iberia recently, that way you don't have to worry about all this one drink nonsense.
Old Jul 9, 2021, 10:31 am

Programs: AA CK MM, AC SE100K, BA Gold, UA 1K, DL Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
After an AA schedule change, I was re-booked in J on ORD-MAD-Italy later this month. Am I really understanding this thread correctly that, per policy, we will only be served one glass of wine with the meal, and that's it for drinks for the whole flight?

The website is also offering pre-reserved meals that look like Y snack boxes. The posts up-thread seem to indicate the dinner catering is somewhat normal in J though... is that true?
TTmex likes this.
Old Jul 9, 2021, 10:47 am

Originally Posted by metallo
After an AA schedule change, I was re-booked in J on ORD-MAD-Italy later this month. Am I really understanding this thread correctly that, per policy, we will only be served one glass of wine with the meal, and that's it for drinks for the whole flight?

The website is also offering pre-reserved meals that look like Y snack boxes. The posts up-thread seem to indicate the dinner catering is somewhat normal in J though... is that true?
Unless they change their service, the service on the long-haul sector will consist of nothing at all, ie. no pre-departure drinks, no bar service, no drinks between meals. The cabin crew come round twice, once with each meal, and they offer you a glass of wine / beer and water with the meal. You are not allowed into the front galley and there is one single washroom for the whole of the business class cabin, which is approx 30 passengers.

Most people seem to have been offered a top-up on their wine during the meal, but the policy is announced that there is a limit of one drink per meal due to Covid. But no drinks served other than during mealtimes and almost zero crew interaction except for during meal service.

The washroom was a bigger problem to me than the drinks. You can smuggle extra drinks on board and the crew are so absent that they wouldn't notice if you are pouring your own. But only having one washroom on a night flight led to constant lines in the business class cabin and when you finally got in the washroom you felt you needed to get out quick.
metallo likes this.
Old Jul 9, 2021, 12:40 pm

Programs: AA CK MM, AC SE100K, BA Gold, UA 1K, DL Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by JessicaB
Unless they change their service, the service on the long-haul sector will consist of nothing at all, ie. no pre-departure drinks, no bar service, no drinks between meals. The cabin crew come round twice, once with each meal, and they offer you a glass of wine / beer and water with the meal. You are not allowed into the front galley and there is one single washroom for the whole of the business class cabin, which is approx 30 passengers.

Most people seem to have been offered a top-up on their wine during the meal, but the policy is announced that there is a limit of one drink per meal due to Covid. But no drinks served other than during mealtimes and almost zero crew interaction except for during meal service.

The washroom was a bigger problem to me than the drinks. You can smuggle extra drinks on board and the crew are so absent that they wouldn't notice if you are pouring your own. But only having one washroom on a night flight led to constant lines in the business class cabin and when you finally got in the washroom you felt you needed to get out quick.
Thanks for reporting your experience. What an absolute joke of a J product! And TATL at that!

I enjoy a few drinks to help sleep on a TATL flight, particularly one departing the in the late afternoon (~1700). It's annoying enough that I'm going to keep looking for other OW J options that may open up on the route between now and our flight. Since it was a schedule change, I think AA will still allow me an opportunity to change to something more favorable if it becomes available.
Old Jul 10, 2021, 12:39 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
So on my premium economy run from JFK to MAD, there was no PDB of any type. One drink was served with dinner - wine / beer / soda and coffee / tea if you wanted. During the night, a 300 ml bottle of water was provided to you seat - no idea when. 60 minutes prior to landing, a quick breakfast was provided - muffin/cake/fruit along with juice (pineapple or orange) along with coffee or tea.
Old Jul 10, 2021, 3:00 am

Originally Posted by metallo
Thanks for reporting your experience. What an absolute joke of a J product! And TATL at that!

I enjoy a few drinks to help sleep on a TATL flight, particularly one departing the in the late afternoon (~1700). It's annoying enough that I'm going to keep looking for other OW J options that may open up on the route between now and our flight. Since it was a schedule change, I think AA will still allow me an opportunity to change to something more favorable if it becomes available.
Surely BA is an option via Heathrow? And as I said upthread, if the only issue with Iberia is the lack of drinks, I would suggest you buy some miniatures of spirits and put them in your carry-on, and buy sodas in the terminal. Or just buy some wine in the terminal before you board. The service is non-existent on Iberia, they don't seem to pass through the cabin at all even in J apart from mealtimes, so they aren't going to notice you pouring your own drinks. Not that they could say anything if they only provide 1 small glass of wine per J passenger in any case.
Old Jul 10, 2021, 4:42 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
BA is an option but LHR means a guaranteed COVID test to even transit LHR. Depending on where you are going, that may have been an unnecessary hurdle addition.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.