Community
Wiki Posts
Search

IB's catering & service during COVID-19

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2021, 5:25 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
We flew from ALC to MAD and thence to NTE. Admittedly it was an Air Nostrum flight but we were offered a flight breakfast of fruit, Strawberry Yogurt, and a croissant with whatever we wanted to drink. I asked for a Cava to make a Buck's Fizz and there was no problem. We had a long lay over in Madrid and found the Lounge eventually and thought that it was very good. MAD-ALC was the same menu as NTE-MAD a few days earlier - there was a delicious little starter that I liked so much that I am going to do this at home as it was based on smoked haddock, followed by Dorada which was absolutely perfectly cooked (it had been cod the other day) and a desert which I gave to Him Indoors. I had Cava and he had red wine which he considered excellent. Replenishments were served without any problem. The only issue I have is that the Bombadier 1000 is very thin inside and trying to eat is a challenge. Fortunately my husband I can poke in the ribs as that is one of the reasons that I travel with him. Anyone else would be much more difficult.
Old Sep 20, 2021, 9:06 am

Programs: BA Gold, A3*G, LH FTL, IHG Diamond
HAM - MAD - HAM, both served dinner / lunch warm meal, I had "hamburger" outbound which was a meat patty with green beans and potato gratin, the chicken on the return was with broccoli and sweet potato mash.
Drinks were able to re-order although during the flight although it was initially said "we do not come around again with drinks" (outbound).
Only one Cava was available, I suspect they ran out on the inbound as it was a Friday evening.
Return only possible to get 2 cavas, then claimed to be "out". Not sure if they wanted to keep some for the return flight (I presume they are catered for both ways in MAD?).
Is that common or still a Covid thing that there drink catering is on the weak side? (Wine were plenty available it seemed, in small bottles).
Old Sep 21, 2021, 4:47 am

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold
Well the cava has always been quite the exclusive beverage in J cabin with only a few bottles loaded for each flight (rather ridiculous on MAD - LHR on A346 for instance). At least they have spirits again so you don't necessarily have to switch over to wine ;-)
SirToby likes this.
Old Sep 22, 2021, 2:20 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, M&M Senator
Originally Posted by let_BAegones_be
Does anybody know if I can request SPML?
I don’t see the option online.
Flying PMI>MAD>BUD in business.
I think you have to call, unfortunately, since getting through to Iberia is a huge hassle.
Old Sep 23, 2021, 6:51 am

Programs: OW Sapphire, *A Gold

LIN-MAD breakfast. Pretty dissapointing to be honest, i was expecting something warm.

MAD-LIM lunch. The food quality was excellent, just wish the cheese platter was a bit more adventurous.

Pre-arrival snack on the same flight. Again, top quality food.

While breakfast was dissapointing, the rest of the meals were great. Wish they had some sort of menu so guests know upfront what the choices are. Still no PDB, but drinks were served during the meal, another round after. I also asked for drinks outside of meal times and was served with no issues.

Surprisingly, both front toilets were available for passenger use, even though the one by the cockpit still had a reserved sign on it.
Old Sep 28, 2021, 1:20 pm

Programs: BA Gold
That matches my service the other week MAD-LIM at lunchtime ish departure.

Excellent food. Lack of menu is a concern as I often travel with a colleague with allergies and the staff were vague as to what anything was.

Other than a beer at dinner I wasn’t drinking during the flight but extra tea and coffee during the day was no problem.

Both toilets in use.

Steak , chocolate and cheese, no one could identify the starter other than “fish”
Old Oct 5, 2021, 6:54 am

Have Iberia removed their "one drink/drinks only during service times" policy? Their website seems to have removed any mention of it and is instead replaced with text that says something along the lines of "We're working hard to restore our service to normal, please bear with us"...Promising if they finally have clocked back on it!
Old Oct 8, 2021, 4:29 am

Programs: OW Sapphire, *A Gold
LIM-MAD in J. Huge difference in food quality, this time very close to what economy food should be like, but more so in service. By the time they got to row 7, they ran out of main course choices, with only the vegetarian being left, as is normal in a premium cabin. No menus, the crew were clueless about what wines they serve, even though it's probably the same three reds they have for months now.

A few passengers had issues with the entertainment systems and headphones, and at one point the crew asked my SO if she could use her own headphones instead because the one supplied by them was causing issues.

On the "plus" side, amenity kits were given out to everyone and again, both toilets were open.
Old Oct 8, 2021, 11:33 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK*G EL, KL P ELPL, ex AB P, ex LH/LX Sen, HHonors D4L, Bonvoy P
Originally Posted by AirbusA350
Have Iberia removed their "one drink/drinks only during service times" policy? Their website seems to have removed any mention of it and is instead replaced with text that says something along the lines of "We're working hard to restore our service to normal, please bear with us"...Promising if they finally have clocked back on it!
Based on my own experience, it has never been fully enforced. On intra EU flights, you could always get another drink if you asked nicely - but they did not offer it proactively. On long haul they usually did a second drink round (but not a third). Again, asking nicely resolved the issue.
Old Oct 29, 2021, 7:19 am

Programs: Executive Club
Flew from LHR > MAD > SDQ in J both sectors. First meal on the LHR > MAD was a small starter of cold beef, then cod with mash potato, then chocolate pudding. Wine was served and they came round several times to ask if you wanted more wine, including after the meal when the trays had been cleared away.

Lunch LHR > MAD

Second flight MAD > SDQ. Pre-departure drinks were served choice of cava, water or juice. No bar service before the meal, but plenty of drinks available during the meal itself. As you can see I was offered three taster glasses to try each of the red wines and they were all delicious. Glass of the chosen wine was topped up twice during the meal. The main was beef with a mash potato topping (basically a shepherds pie), bowl of cheeses and mousse dessert.

Meal 1 MAD > SDQ

Second meal before landing was spinach gnocchi, wine was also served with this if you wanted it and top-ups were also offered.

Meal 2 MAD > SDQ

Good points:

Cabin crew service was excellent, food quality was good, no shortage of drinks offered, no restrictions. All washrooms available for J passengers. Relaxed attitude to mask wearing, didn't feel bossy.

Bad points:

No washbags provided. No bar drinks before the meal on the long-haul sector. No spirits or dessert wines loaded. None of the meals were hot enough - I had to send the food back on the LHR > MAD sector to be reheated as it was almost stone cold.

Last edited by JessicaB; Nov 1, 2021 at 5:48 am
Old Oct 31, 2021, 11:41 am
formerly Sleepy_Sentry

Originally Posted by swiss_global
Based on my own experience, it has never been fully enforced. On intra EU flights, you could always get another drink if you asked nicely - but they did not offer it proactively. On long haul they usually did a second drink round (but not a third). Again, asking nicely resolved the issue.
Are they still making this announcement? I thought about asking the FAs this summer why they got the vaccine if they don't want to do their jobs, but I assume that would result in me not being served at all.
Old Nov 8, 2021, 12:56 pm

Y LHR - MAD Drinks

Hi,

Am flying LHR - MAD in a couple of weeks in economy. I understand it is buy online in advance only, but for some reason the menu only shows drink options as beer, coke or coffee.

is that normal? I could get the rationale of NO booze served at all (I might not agree but could see the point), but do they really not offer the option to purchase wine or spirits? It seems a little odd.

Am I being stupid / missing something? Or is beer more COVID secure than wine?

im not really a big beer fan, but it’s a Friday evening flight and a glass of wine would be lovely!
Old Nov 8, 2021, 2:24 pm

Originally Posted by Sharratt4
Hi,

Am flying LHR - MAD in a couple of weeks in economy. I understand it is buy online in advance only, but for some reason the menu only shows drink options as beer, coke or coffee.

is that normal? I could get the rationale of NO booze served at all (I might not agree but could see the point), but do they really not offer the option to purchase wine or spirits? It seems a little odd.

Am I being stupid / missing something? Or is beer more COVID secure than wine?

im not really a big beer fan, but it’s a Friday evening flight and a glass of wine would be lovely!
That Deliverfly thingy Iberia have is awfully buggy. Like most things on Iberia IT. They definitely did have a wider selection of alcohol when I looked for one of my flights a month or so ago. Just have a look a little closer to your flight maybe.
Old Nov 10, 2021, 3:59 am

Originally Posted by JessicaB
No washbags provided.
Is this the case on all flights? Or just on this one- normally don't pack toothpaste etc expecting I'll get it on the flight and then can buy some at destination!

Thanks!
Old Nov 10, 2021, 5:16 am

Programs: Executive Club
Originally Posted by enemigo
Is this the case on all flights? Or just on this one- normally don't pack toothpaste etc expecting I'll get it on the flight and then can buy some at destination!

Thanks!
From what I can see on here, seems to be a lottery what you get on what flight. On my flight I noticed a bottle of brandy which came round with the coffee and tea after the meal (in J) but we had no washbags. Other people on different flights mentioned they got washbags but were rationed on drinks. I would err on the side of caution and pack a little washbag. Definitely a good idea to pack the eyeshades and earplugs as I'd miss those on a night flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.