Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Iberia Airlines | Iberia Plus
Reload this Page >

Check Your Iberia Account [IB withdrawing unused 90k promotion Avios 1 Dec 2018]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 1, 2018, 5:32 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Travel-Quinten
This thread provides information, experiences and thoughts relating to the IB promotion in June 2018, whereby it was possible to get up to 90k bonus Avios for making Iberia bookings. The terms and conditions of this offer indicated that these bonus Avios needed to be used before 1 December. Consequently from 1 December 2018 Iberia has withdrawn Avios for at least some accounts. At least 1 person reported an account with a negative balance could be closed without problems.

Related threads:
Iberia's 90,000 point catch - 'the negative balance' on transfers [thread closed]
Breaking: CAN transfer bonus avios to BAEC!l [thread closed]
Iberia Plus offer 9000 per booking 21/JUN to 24/JUN on iberia.com
Print Wikipost

Check Your Iberia Account [IB withdrawing unused 90k promotion Avios 1 Dec 2018]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2018, 5:49 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by criced
Transfered my avios to BA and now got minus in my IB+ account. But I dont care. Iberia really lost me as a customer for this bad handled campaign. Will not use IB+ more. Adios amigos
It may not be as simple as that. IB and BAEC accounts are definitely connected somehow. When I was originally able to transfer the bonus Avios from IB to BA (in small chuncks before they opened it up to everyone) my account was placed in audit by Iberia and BA said it was out of their hands, after 3 weeks it was eventually sorted and the account suspension lifted but I have a feeling this is going to get messy.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 6:06 am
Suspended

Programs: M&S, Radisson
Originally Posted by Lizie
Companys are allowed to retain necessary info for debt collection.
And for other purposes as well. It is crucial for financial and other accounting that they keep records of all Avios transactions.

Just because you delete your account doesn't allow IB to anonymize those transactions, that seems like a very naive view. I'm sure that due to both accounting standards as well as laws (e.g., tax laws), they are obliged to retain those records.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 6:17 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, A3 Gold, Sixt Diamond
It might be a good idea to at least change email addresses etc., so they mismatch across Avios.com/BA/IB.
RollAnotherFatOne likes this.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 6:27 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by ChocolateFactory
It might be a good idea to at least change email addresses etc., so they mismatch across Avios.com/BA/IB.
Correct, I don't see what all the hoopla is about. People are overestimating the IT departments of these rewards programs. Haven't people learned from the past that these departments are filled with incompetence from top to bottom? Look at how hard it was for some to get the promotional avios to begin with.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 6:32 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Gomac

It may not be as simple as that. IB and BAEC accounts are definitely connected somehow. When I was originally able to transfer the bonus Avios from IB to BA (in small chuncks before they opened it up to everyone) my account was placed in audit by Iberia and BA said it was out of their hands, after 3 weeks it was eventually sorted and the account suspension lifted but I have a feeling this is going to get messy.
It only matters if your BAEC is loaded with Avios as well. My balance there is very minimal so if IB wants to take them, oh well. If my BAEC account goes negative, I'll create a new account with new phone number, new email, and fake physical address (as this doesn't matter).
Old Dec 2, 2018, 6:54 am

Wow. Can we please stop the insults?

Yes ticketing on 11/30 is playing with fire. It's also not crazy to think some people would make a time zone mistake. Do you really need to attack people for this? I don't see anyone screaming that they were robbed.

I always considered this promotion a roulette wheel and expected to lose my $270 spent last summer on 10 flights. I'm glad in the end it worked out for me, and most.
GUWonder and ChocolateFactory like this.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 7:29 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
Worth pointing out that if IB want to raid BAEC accounts they will already have enough information to do that from the transfer process. None of the wheezes described here are exactly novel. Probably the most promising is shutting down the BAEC account too but obviously tricky if you have avios there.

I'd be amazed if they weren't following FT too. BA do.

Old Dec 2, 2018, 8:10 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
A kindly reminder (it may not so kind next time....) to play the argument, not the player. And probably best to avoid reheating an argument already deployed, that doesn't advance matters either. Some posts that went over the line - or quoting from them - have been tidied up.

CWS/mod
ChocolateFactory likes this.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 8:13 am

Programs: BAEC, Ib+, Accor, HHonors
A few thoughts.
  • We should be grateful to yllanes, craig and lupinechemist. They are very knowledgeable, especially in Iberia Plus. They provide plenty of useful information and, IME, always helpful.
  • Everyone knew how complicated, challenging, stressful it can be when searching and booking partner awards. It has been warned many, many, many times in this forum. In fact, IbPlus veterans tend to avoid partner awards - simply because they are non-refundable, and usually cheaper if booked via BAEC (+ the hassle of booking it via IbPlus).
  • Iberia Plus doe not excel for customer service. We knew that before, it has been discussed, informed, commented, million times in this forum. Your chances of getting what you want increases significantly whether you speak, or not, Spanish.
  • Iberia Plus has also it strengths. Cheap, affordable, low-taxes,.. business redemptions. Who offers you 34k Avios o/w Business transatlantic? The problem, there are only limited places available and Iberia does not have a massive Northatlantic route network.
If you had the previous points in mind, you would have probably made the following assumptions:
  • "Goodness, this promotion is being highlighted by all blogs, forums, websites,...." = meaning, many people are taking part in this promotion, especially those in the USA.
  • Iberia Business seats are Avios cheap across the Atlantic....
  • "It's gonna get very competitive finding that Business class seat across the Atlantic on the dates I want". That's exactly what happened.
  • The good thing is, Iberia Plus releases new Business Class seats available with Avios EVERY DAY (360 days in Advance - something like that).
  • In fact, you could have booked a nice transatlantic C trip for next Summer... if you had planned accordingly.
  • Many many many people did that, that's why for pretty much the next year, no Transatlantic C seats available.
Now people are frustrated because:
  • Iberia Plus honored the promotion, as expected (it is not the first time Iberia Plus runs a similar promotion).
  • Iberia Plus gave plenty of time to redeem the Avios.
  • Some left the booking process for the last day, taking a massive risk (imagine the Iberia Plus page goes off line for the whole day - it has happened before)..
  • Fact was, all transatlantic C seats were not available for the whole year... and people started to panic, no back up plan, nothing, nada. Then they realise "blimey - searching for partner awards is a bloody nightmare". They are angry with themselves because they left it until the last day, and they express this anger in this forum.
  • And Iberia Plus promised that if you didn't spend the Avios according to their T&Cs (which you agreed to when you signed up to the program), they would remove them from their account. And that's what they have done, including if you transferred out the Avios to other programs. (It could be argued, that the promotional Avios were still available after midnight CET - I guess if you approach Iberia Plus in a kind, professional manner, they would probably accept and honor your case; but this has to be done on a one to one basis).
Extra: to all those that asked Iberia Plus to remove your data from their database, it is wise to do so from Avios Group Limited as well, as you agreed with Iberia Plus that your data will be also shared with Avios GL when signing up to Iberia Plus.
In accordance with the provisions of Spanish Organic Law 15/1999 on Personal Data Protection, the client is informed of and authorises the "registration and processing of their personal details" in automated files duly registered with the Data Protection General Register under the responsibility of IBERIA LÍNEAS AÉREAS DE ESPANA, S.A. OPERADORA Unipersonal and AGL UK (Avios Group Limited), a British company in which IBERIA has a stake and both of which belong to International Airlines Group (IAG).

Your details may be used for any activity related to the aims of the Programme and the contractual relationship it has with you, including the analysis and formation of profiles and, generally, the undertaking of promotional, marketing and analysis activities by Iberia, the Participating Companies and the Booking Systems.
And they specifically ask you, when users request it, to remove their data from Iberia and Avios GL
You may exercise, free of charge, your rights of opposition, access, rectification and cancellation of your details and revoke their authorisation without retroactive effects under the terms specified in Spanish Organic Law 15/1999 on Personal Data Protection, in accordance with the legally established procedure.

These rights may be exercised by writing to the departments in charge of the computer file: for IBERIA, L.A.E., S.A.O., S.U. the address is Dirección Sistemas/U. Seguridad Informática, Zona Industrial nº 2, 28042, Madrid. Alternatively you can fax +34 91 587 55 64, addressing the fax to “Personal Data Care”, or email [email protected] For the Avios Group Limited the address is PO Box 90, Birchwood, Warrington WA3 7XA, or email [email protected].

Last edited by corporate-wage-slave; Dec 2, 2018 at 8:20 am Reason: Rule 16 amendments
Old Dec 2, 2018, 11:52 am

Programs: WN A-list, Hyatt Glob, HH DM, Marriott Plat
There's no hostility whatsoever. I was just pointing the fact that your theory is wrong. If they sweep at 2.00, my miles would disappear and they didn't. How about address this rather than accusing me of something that is only in your head. I understand you are quite knowledgeable and helpful in this forum, and I appreciate your help, but that doesn't make you right every time.
Originally Posted by Yllanes
I don't understand your hostility when I was just trying to give some information.

With posts like that this thread will become useless in no time. I understand that some people have just gambled and lost and want to rant, but we have also seen cases where there has been some glitch or complication that has nothing to do with missing the deadline and for whom this could actually be useful.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 1:13 pm

You hadn't said exactly when you redeemed or when you got the negative balance (you still haven't), so my hypothesis was as good as any with the data available. Obviously the change does not happen for everybody exactly at 02.00, it takes some time and fluctuates.

In any case, whether this was just the regular daily batch job or a special script they ran a few hours later does not really matter.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 1:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
I am not a corporate apologist. Whatever IB writes in their terms and conditions holds no legal value until it is challenged in court. They can write they will take users kidney if balance is negative and most people will click the "I agree" button, but it doesn't mean it's enforceable.
noneemac and 1flyer like this.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 2:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by tobsw
Extra: to all those that asked Iberia Plus to remove your data from their database, it is wise to do so from Avios Group Limited as well, as you agreed with Iberia Plus that your data will be also shared with Avios GL when signing up to Iberia Plus.

Many good points, but IIRC Avios Group Limited is the subsidiary of IAG that also manages BAEC. I suspect that there are relatively few people who are willing to abandon BOTH IB+ and BAEC. (or trust that their brand new accounts will never end up audited) IIRC IHG caught a fair few duplicate accounts because people used the same credit card across more than one IHG account.
Lizie likes this.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 2:45 pm

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
Many people screwed up waiting until the very last minute to redeem, for no apparent reason, or they took a risk transferring to BA, very well knowing the explicit terms and conditions.

And they would rather blame the airline (that fully honored the promotion), blame the agents (who are overwhelmed with dealing with overentitled crybabies), or blame the IT system (which was always terrible), rather than blame themselves.

And now they are trying to escape all responsibility by closing their Avios/IB+ accounts, claiming GDPR, etc? Good luck in life..
Old Dec 2, 2018, 3:01 pm

Programs: WN A-list, Hyatt Glob, HH DM, Marriott Plat
It actually does matter. The whole point that you and some others are missing is that the points were still in my account which I believe is the best indication from Iberia that the promotion was not over given the vague T&C. If the T&C had said promotion is over at midnight ECT but it takes a few hours for our outdated IT systems to take back the points, that would have been fine, but they didn't. I acted in good faith. It's not my business to know how IB's IT systems work. I saw the points and assumed they are available to use. To most normal people when T&C say by Dec 1, it means by the end of the day Dec 1, not before the day has started.

Another question that still has not been addressed by the experts on this board is what would they do, if this is not a glitch and my balance stays negative. Since I didn't transfer the Avios to BA, they surely can't go after my BA account balance? Would they cancel my ticket in this case?

Originally Posted by Yllanes
You hadn't said exactly when you redeemed or when you got the negative balance (you still haven't), so my hypothesis was as good as any with the data available. Obviously the change does not happen for everybody exactly at 02.00, it takes some time and fluctuates.

In any case, whether this was just the regular daily batch job or a special script they ran a few hours later does not really matter.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.