Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Iberia Airlines | Iberia Plus
Reload this Page >

Breaking: CAN transfer bonus avios to BAEC!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Breaking: CAN transfer bonus avios to BAEC!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2018, 10:20 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by pl840502
So i created two Iberia accounts for me and my friends when the promo started. And today those accounts finally turned 90 days old. But upon trying to move Avios to BA. They both log in well on either Iberia or BA transfer webpage but at the last comfirmation step it says combine my Avios is not available :-/
i managed ok. but it happened a few days after 90. prob more than 100 even.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 2:19 pm

Just received this from Iberia - not clear what they mean by transferring not counting(?) also if you transferred to BA then spent them before the deadline would that make them happy?

Dear Customer,

We would like to remind you that the Avios you earned in the promotion last June had special terms and conditions, as we pointed out at the time. As such, please note that the promotional Avios obtained during that campaign will no longer be available in your account if you do not redeem them in the Iberia Plus programme before 1 December 2018.

We would also like to take this opportunity to remind you that the programme does not include the transfer of Avios, as indicated in the general terms and conditions.

Yours sincerely,
The Iberia Plus Team
Old Nov 14, 2018, 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by Winchy78
Just received this from Iberia - not clear what they mean by transferring not counting(?) also if you transferred to BA then spent them before the deadline would that make them happy
IB has said before that transferring doesn't count as redeeming for the purpose of this promotion. I asked them again last month and they reconfirmed. Your IB account can go negative in December if you did this. Maybe there are no consequences to this if you unlink your IB and BA accounts, or if you close your IB account?
Old Nov 14, 2018, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Winchy78
Just received this from Iberia - not clear what they mean by transferring not counting(?) also if you transferred to BA then spent them before the deadline would that make them happy?
No, the terms were clear and you are receiving a courtesy reminder. Transfers to BA are not a redemption under the terms of IB+.

Your IB+ account will probably go negative. Some people won't mind if that's the only consequence, but IB+ will know exactly where to chase your Avios from BA...
Old Nov 14, 2018, 4:45 pm

Programs: Hhonors Diamond, IHG Platinum, BA Silver
I guess the terms were fairly clear originally, but then according to the thisismoney article, they did a U-turn, effectively allowing them to be transferred out.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 4:53 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, A3 Gold, Sixt Diamond
No, all they did was allow transfers.
They never said transfers would count as redemptions, or that BAEC redemptions would count.
tropikey likes this.
Old Nov 23, 2018, 3:20 am

Originally Posted by ChocolateFactory
No, all they did was allow transfers.
They never said transfers would count as redemptions, or that BAEC redemptions would count.
To be fair, they have not really been all that clear, with a vague offer iin the beginning with unclear terms and a series of twists and turns.

My guess, and all I can do is guess, is that the email is a warning to the many non-Flyertalk customers not to transfer the avios and those of us who did will be fine. And this inconsequential threat of a negative balance just seems...

And what if you spend them and then cancel the flight? They were spent. They don't say they can't be refunded.

If they run such a badly-thought-out offer then they shouldn't be too mean to people who take advantage of it.
Old Nov 23, 2018, 3:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by _nate
To be fair, they have not really been all that clear, with a vague offer iin the beginning with unclear terms and a series of twists and turns.
What constitues a redemption for IB+ has been clear since IB+ was created. Even those feigning naivety know that Combining Avios never reset your expiry dates, because they aren't actual transactions.

The issue is that many brand new IB+ members signed up (or were primarily BA members who previously paid little attention to IB+) and made their own assumptions about what constitutes "a qualifying redemption". That wouldn't be a problem - i.e. just expire their Avios for not following the rules - except for the fact that it created a PR nightmare due to the sheer numbers.

So the debate continues to rage about whether IB+ should have foreseen BAEC members' misuse of the promo Avios and should have specifically prohibited BA transfers and/or held strong against the pressure. Caveat emptor vs. caveat venditor...
Old Nov 23, 2018, 5:22 am

My guess, and all I can do is guess, is that the email is a warning to the many non-Flyertalk customers not to transfer the avios and those of us who did will be fine. And this inconsequential threat of a negative balance just seems...

And what if you spend them and then cancel the flight? They were spent. They don't say they can't be refunded.

If they run such a badly-thought-out offer then they shouldn't be too mean to people who take advantage of it.
i don’t see how you come to that conclusion. IB can be mean if they want and I wouldn’t put it past either BA or IB to take some adverse action.
Old Nov 23, 2018, 7:54 pm

Can Iberia really remove miles from BA accounts?

I remain of the opinion that they were very vague in their terms, and they've spoken out and changed their minds a lot about this promotion, so, honestly, who knows...

Let me be clear. I will use those avios in time if I'm genuinely required to. I know what I would do with them. But if there is no urgency because the transfer keeps them safe, then I will wait.

As for whether Iberia should have foreseen what happened, well, yes, they should have. On the other hand, I ask again, how many people actually did this kind of thing? I doubt the number is big enough to make a huge difference in the greater scheme of things.
Old Nov 23, 2018, 9:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Why not? They "remove miles" from BA accounts every time you move Avios from BA --> IB. It's all the same company.

I remain of the opinion that they were very vague in their terms, and they've spoken out and changed their minds a lot about this promotion, so, honestly, who knows...

Let me be clear. I will use those avios in time if I'm genuinely required to. I know what I would do with them. But if there is no urgency because the transfer keeps them safe, then I will wait.

As for whether Iberia should have foreseen what happened, well, yes, they should have. On the other hand, I ask again, how many people actually did this kind of thing? I doubt the number is big enough to make a huge difference in the greater scheme of things.
Maybe nothing will happen but if 1 December arrives and sh*t starts happening, it will be too late for you...

And, yes, the number of people is massive. A friend of mine was called in for a chat with IB+ because they were freaked out at all of the interest from Argentina. Multiply that by 100 for the UK and 1000 for the US. A substantial percentage will have taken the BA transfer route.
Old Nov 24, 2018, 4:36 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

If your balance goes negative, the likelihood is you'll begin to receive emails from IB+ notifying you that your account has slipped into the red together with some tips on what you can do to add credit to your account, including info on the purchase Avios options available to you. IB+ may set out a reasonable time frame for you to restore your account to a positive balance. After that period elapses, they may then take retrieval measures. Realistically, at this stage of the process, we are probably looking at account audits. For those with multiple IB+ accounts, that's potentially an end game outcome.
Old Nov 24, 2018, 6:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Prospero
If your balance goes negative, the likelihood is you'll begin to receive emails from IB+ notifying you that your account has slipped into the red together with some tips on what you can do to add credit to your account, including info on the purchase Avios options available to you. IB+ may set out a reasonable time frame for you to restore your account to a positive balance. After that period elapses, they may then take retrieval measures. Realistically, at this stage of the process, we are probably looking at account audits. For those with multiple IB+ accounts, that's potentially an end game outcome.
Of course you have a few FTers around here thinking they'll be clever and do a GDPR request to have their account closed. I wonder how it would work if I ran my bank account into overdraft territory and then asked for it to be shut down under GDPR?
tropikey and ChocolateFactory like this.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 6:33 pm

Interesting.. Well, then, thank you all for your advice, and I think I will take it all into account and act accordingly.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 9:44 pm

Originally Posted by craigthemif
Of course you have a few FTers around here thinking they'll be clever and do a GDPR request to have their account closed. I wonder how it would work if I ran my bank account into overdraft territory and then asked for it to be shut down under GDPR?
Except that's not an equivalent scenario given Avios have no cash value. A more fitting scenario would be going negative in monopoly!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.