Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Iberia Airlines | Iberia Plus
Reload this Page >

Breaking: CAN transfer bonus avios to BAEC!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Breaking: CAN transfer bonus avios to BAEC!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2018, 6:59 am

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Gold Amb.
Originally Posted by tobsw
. Time to stocking up some popcorn.

the other thing that will be fun to watch is how they allocate spent avios if people had existing balances.

Is it first in first out, or will the 90k be the first ones used.

i.e if you had 50k Avios prior to receiving your 90k
your balance becomes 140k
you spend 100k

Have you spent the 90k?
or have you only spent 50k of the promotional Avios, and stand to lose 40k?
Old Jul 30, 2018, 7:18 am

Programs: AAdvantage ExP 1MM, Smiles/GOL Diamond, TudoAzul/AZUL Diamond, HHonors Gold, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by craigthemif
I look forward to hearing back in December about how that went for you...
But Craig, what is the topic of this thread? That Iberia backed down and now allows the avios to be transferred. Why should anyone be penalized by something that the company allows us to do?
Dfralmeida likes this.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 7:34 am
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
Originally Posted by holloway1000
The original T&C said that redemption were subject to the general Iberia Avis T&C's.
These T&C's state that transferring to a BAEC does not count as spending them.
and spending them on BA is not spending them on Iberia.
It said nothing about "negative" balances, so a reasonable person will expect that the Avios "expiring " if not used but certainly not the balance going negative.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 8:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by broland
But Craig, what is the topic of this thread? That Iberia backed down and now allows the avios to be transferred. Why should anyone be penalized by something that the company allows us to do?
LOL. Because all of this is supposedly being driven by HeadforPoints. Rob claims that Iberia told him in writing (during the promo weekend) that transferring Avios to BA would be allowed, but that IB+ accounts would go negative in December when the Avios are taken away for not being used.

Judge for yourself what the consequences of an IB+ account going deeply negative will be.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 8:23 am

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Gold Amb.
Originally Posted by MasterGeek

It said nothing about "negative" balances, so a reasonable person will expect that the Avios "expiring " if not used but certainly not the balance going negative.
this is exactly the problem with their vague wording and the referencing of their general T&C as well as the promotional T&C's

The promotional T&C state 'Avios not redeemed by 1 December 2018 will be withdrawn from the customer's account'
and the General T&C's define what is considered a redemption. (it also states that transferring to BAEC is not considered a redemption)

So on my reading of that, i would say that it doesn't mention expiring, but does mention that they will be withdrawn, which i would take as the possibility to go negative.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 8:40 am

Programs: Everything I know I register myself in
Originally Posted by holloway1000
this is exactly the problem with their vague wording and the referencing of their general T&C as well as the promotional T&C's

The promotional T&C state 'Avios not redeemed by 1 December 2018 will be withdrawn from the customer's account'
and the General T&C's define what is considered a redemption. (it also states that transferring to BAEC is not considered a redemption)

So on my reading of that, i would say that it doesn't mention expiring, but does mention that they will be withdrawn, which i would take as the possibility to go negative.
This is so vague. We have so many important blogs here, can't they just request an official answer from Iberia about what is going to happen in all those possible scenarios? People just keep discussing and complaining here but no one is really sure about what is going to happen. An Iberia message from a month ago saying that the account will go negative could not be their understanding right now.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 8:53 am

I can’t find the bit in Iberia’s T&Cs stating whether Avios transferred out AND THEN spent are counted as redeemed or not? This bit seems to suggest to me that they are?

Rendered services charged to Avios can be carried out through iberia.com or through any other means enabled by Iberia, or, if appropriate, by the Participating Companies.

​​​​​​​
Old Jul 30, 2018, 9:21 am

Programs: AAdvantage ExP 1MM, Smiles/GOL Diamond, TudoAzul/AZUL Diamond, HHonors Gold, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by craigthemif
Judge for yourself what the consequences of an IB+ account going deeply negative will be.
There's a way around it, IMHO: transfer the Avios, cancel the IP account and open a new one at a later date.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 9:23 am

There's a way around it, IMHO: transfer the Avios, cancel the IP account and open a new one at a later date.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 9:49 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
For the record, the Mail on Sunday's story about this, in their "This is Money" section, can be found here:

Iberia backs down and agrees to allow Avios holders to add 90,000 points to their existing pot | Daily Mail Online

By way of an extract:
Point taken! Iberia backs down and agrees to allow Avios holders to add 90,000 points to their existing pot
  • Iberia has now removed onerous restrictions on the loyalty offer
  • Travellers earn up to 90,000 Avios points for a possible outlay of just £150
  • After Iberia launched the scheme, it revealed a previously buried condition
  • The points collected could only be spent through the Iberia Plus programme
By SALLY HAMILTON FOR THE MAIL ON SUNDAY

PUBLISHED: 22:01, 28 July 2018 UPDATED: 11:10, 29 July 2018

Thanks to The Mail on Sunday, Iberia has been forced into a huge U-turn over a promotion that misled thousands of customers.

As a result of the newspaper's intervention, the Spanish airline has now removed onerous restrictions on the loyalty offer that left travellers feeling cheated – and experts claiming that customers had been 'hoodwinked'. It means British Airways customers will now be able to use the bonus Avios loyalty points in the way they believed the offer promised.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 10:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Go for it. Both IB+ and BAEC will know where you transferred the 90K Avios from/to.

It's like getting money into your bank account by mistake, and deciding to transfer the money to a savings account in your own name. Then going back into the bank to open a new account under the same name. Pretty simple to sort out if anybody is inclined to...
Old Jul 30, 2018, 12:54 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Originally Posted by Raffles
Iberia said in writing all along that your IB account will go negative 90k on 1st December if you move them to BA. What the consequences are we don ‘t know.
Raffles, I’d be interested to get your thoughts on the long term outcome of transferring Bonus Avios over to BAEC. This is a possible scenario I have in mind:
  • June 2018: enroll new IB Plus account (balance: 0)
  • July 2018: 90,000 bonus Avios credited (balance: 90,000)
  • Aug 2018: transfer 90,000 Avios to BAEC (balance: 0)
  • Dec 2018: 90,000 bonus Avios recalled (balance: -90,000)
  • 2019/2020?: IB plus and BAEC migration to the common Avios platform (combined balance calculated as the sum of BAEC, AerClub/Vueling Club, and IB Plus balances)
If the future pans out this way, any Bonus Avios transferred to a BAEC account will be treated as an advance which will be repaid when the IB Plus and BAEC programmes migrate to the common Avios platform. Does this sound plausible to you?
Old Jul 30, 2018, 7:25 pm

An official answer:
https://thepointsguy.com/news/transferred-iberia-promo-avios-to-be-deducted/amp/?__twitter_impression=true
Old Jul 31, 2018, 7:37 am

Really interesting thread and here’s where I currently sit.

took part in the promo on the basis that I would use the promo Avios to book a hotel in Las Vegas. Booked 10 flights but only received 81k Avios not 90k. Hotel redemption was meant to be 87k so I transferred 6k Avios from my BA account. Booked the hotel redemption for 87k + £30.

two weeks later find out I needed to cancel hotel due to change of plans. For 6 days I tried getting through to Iberia to cancel with no luck. Properly giving the run around by CS agents, sent through to BA numerous times knowing that they wouldn’t help. Eventually sent an email to Avios, who called me and immediately contact Iberia - 10 mins later hotel cancelled and Avios sat in my account.

the hotel redemptions have gone through the roof in price so made new booking in cash. Me and my girlfriend are travelling round the world and seen that we can get 2 1-way flights from LAX to SYD for 100k Avios + £48 with Qantas via BA. So I’ve transferred them over and will book this evening.

the flights with Qantas are on the 28th Dec, if my flight is booked and Iberia decide to pull Avios from BA can they cancel my bookings. I’m hoping that the fact I made a booking with Iberia and subsequently cancelled will mean I’ve made a redemption and that my Avios have been marked as used.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 8:03 am

Originally Posted by Matthew Bolous
Really interesting thread and here’s where I currently sit.

took part in the promo on the basis that I would use the promo Avios to book a hotel in Las Vegas. Booked 10 flights but only received 81k Avios not 90k. Hotel redemption was meant to be 87k so I transferred 6k Avios from my BA account. Booked the hotel redemption for 87k + £30.

two weeks later find out I needed to cancel hotel due to change of plans. For 6 days I tried getting through to Iberia to cancel with no luck. Properly giving the run around by CS agents, sent through to BA numerous times knowing that they wouldn’t help. Eventually sent an email to Avios, who called me and immediately contact Iberia - 10 mins later hotel cancelled and Avios sat in my account.

the hotel redemptions have gone through the roof in price so made new booking in cash. Me and my girlfriend are travelling round the world and seen that we can get 2 1-way flights from LAX to SYD for 100k Avios + £48 with Qantas via BA. So I’ve transferred them over and will book this evening.

the flights with Qantas are on the 28th Dec, if my flight is booked and Iberia decide to pull Avios from BA can they cancel my bookings. I’m hoping that the fact I made a booking with Iberia and subsequently cancelled will mean I’ve made a redemption and that my Avios have been marked as used.
Good question. The problem is, if this really could happen then I'll happily issue a generic ticket and cancel just to keep my avios from expiring. I think that this is not a reality.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.