FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Iberia Airlines | Iberia Plus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/iberia-airlines-iberia-plus-683/)
-   -   Breaking: CAN transfer bonus avios to BAEC! (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/iberia-airlines-iberia-plus/1922218-breaking-can-transfer-bonus-avios-baec.html)

weberkshire Jul 28, 2018 5:37 am

Breaking: CAN transfer bonus avios to BAEC!

Saw Raffles post in the main 9000 point promo thread earlier today - just tried to transfer points from Iberia to BAEC and IT WORKED!

Get transferring!

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...96c7c9b63b.png

gnargel Jul 28, 2018 5:53 am

Good for you, but you are breaching the T&C's of the promo. Don't be surprised if your IB and your BA account are going to be locked shortly or IB is coming after you in a different way....

Raffles Jul 28, 2018 9:58 am

Originally Posted by gnargel (Post 30021625)
Good for you, but you are breaching the T&C's of the promo. Don't be surprised if your IB and your BA account are going to be locked shortly or IB is coming after you in a different way....

He is not breaching the terms of the promo and Iberia specifically told leading bloggers that transfers would be allowed.

Don't go all revisionist on us now :-)

For UK residents this is a big deal, because we are all sitting on '241' Avios redemption vouchers via the BA Amex credit card which require the redemption to be made via BAEC.

Dfralmeida Jul 28, 2018 10:04 am

Originally Posted by Raffles (Post 30022166)
He is not breaching the terms of the promo and Iberia specifically told leading bloggers that transfers would be allowed.

For UK residents this is a big deal, because we are all sitting on '241' Avios redemption vouchers via the BA Amex credit card which require the redemption to be made via BAEC.

Raffles, do you have any idea of how is going to work the deadline for avios redemption if the miles are combined? BAEC miles does not expire, right? Will the consider it a redemption?

sxc Jul 28, 2018 11:02 am

Is it possible to request an Iberia Plus account to be closed?

Hawes7701 Jul 28, 2018 11:07 am

Just moved the wife and my 180,000. Had to go via avios as still sent no transfers to BA but got them there in the end.

skywardhunter Jul 28, 2018 11:12 am

The promo terms forbid this transfer. The fact that it's possible is not explicit indication of such terms being revised or voided, I've not received any direct communication from Iberia telling me I could transfer. Don't be surprised when on 1 Dec 90k Avios are deducted from your IB account and if negative you're asked to pay for those Avios.

Hawes7701 Jul 28, 2018 11:19 am

Originally Posted by skywardhunter (Post 30022359)
The promo terms forbid this transfer. The fact that it's possible is not explicit indication of such terms being revised or voided, I've not received any direct communication from Iberia telling me I could transfer. Don't be surprised when on 1 Dec 90k Avios are deducted from your IB account and if negative you're asked to pay for those Avios.

could you send a link or screenshot to these terms. More than happy to transfer back - just hadn’t actually seen anything to say they couldn’t be moved.

I thought that the lack of transfer opportunity was something that was assumed to be a term as they Iberia seemed to have stopped the ability to transfer...?

skywardhunter Jul 28, 2018 11:55 am

Originally Posted by Hawes7701 (Post 30022380)

could you send a link or screenshot to these terms. More than happy to transfer back - just hadn’t actually seen anything to say they couldn’t be moved.

I thought that the lack of transfer opportunity was something that was assumed to be a term as they Iberia seemed to have stopped the ability to transfer...?

I apologize, I was wrong. I just checked the screenshots I took on the last day of the promo and there is no mention. The only thing states is that if they're not redeemed they will be withdrawn, and it is questionable whether transferring counts as redeeming.

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...9d9dbcc3e3.png

Hawes7701 Jul 28, 2018 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by skywardhunter (Post 30022463)
I apologize, I was wrong. I just checked the screenshots I took on the last day of the promo and there is no mention. The only thing states is that if they're not redeemed they will be withdrawn, and it is questionable whether transferring counts as redeeming.

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...9d9dbcc3e3.png

no need to apologise. Thanks for posting. I may still redeem via Iberia and definitely will if it means our accounts go in to negative. Be interesting to see how this plays out over the next few days...

thanks.

Prospero Jul 28, 2018 12:43 pm

Originally Posted by skywardhunter (Post 30022463)

Transferring does not count as collecting or redeeming, as described in IB+’s General Conditions

https://www.iberia.com/gb/iberiaplus/conditions/
A monthly check will be performed of the expiry of the total Avios balance in the account of members who have not made any movement to earn or use Avios in 36 months. Forthese purposes, Avios transfers carried out between the programmes BA Executive Club, the Avios Programme (in the UK), the Iberia Plus Programme and any other programme which may use Avios as currency are not considered movements as they do not involve collection or redemption.

skywardhunter Jul 28, 2018 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by Hawes7701 (Post 30022526)

no need to apologise. Thanks for posting. I may still redeem via Iberia and definitely will if it means our accounts go in to negative. Be interesting to see how this plays out over the next few days...

thanks.

There were also tweets saying one couldn't transfer but obviously those aren't really authoritative

Originally Posted by Prospero (Post 30022565)
Transferring does not count as collecting or redeeming, as described in IB+’s General Conditions

https://www.iberia.com/gb/iberiaplus/conditions/
A monthly check will be performed of the expiry of the total Avios balance in the account of members who have not made any movement to earn or use Avios in 36 months. Forthese purposes, Avios transfers carried out between the programmes BA Executive Club, the Avios Programme (in the UK), the Iberia Plus Programme and any other programme which may use Avios as currency are not considered movements as they do not involve collection or redemption.

Yes and I wouldn't expect it to count as redmeptred but obviously that interpretation is where the next fight will lie

petey2428 Jul 28, 2018 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by Hawes7701 (Post 30022526)

thanks.

the no transfer clause is not in the original T&C, but it is in the follow up letter where Iberia states that you don’t need to fly your segment to get the avios. That letter is what started this floodgate of cheap Iberia bookings because prior to that, people assumed that you might have to fly to keep the avios.

If you believe that you are entitled to your avios even if you don’t fly, then Iberia should also be entitled to claw back avios transferred to BA.

Iberia could have changed their mind, which is good for us, but I feel like they really shouldn’t have to.

Prospero Jul 28, 2018 1:07 pm

I would be wary about converting Avios over to a BAEC account as an alternative means of spending the promotional Avios. Even if it now possible to do this, it is highly unlikely such an action would override the general conditions of membership. In fact the promotion's T&C explicitly stated:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29891581-post14.html
The extra promotional Avios not redeemed by 1 December 2018 will be withdrawn from the customer's account. The redemption terms and conditions are subject to the general terms and conditions of the Iberia Plus programme.
To anyone contemplating this action, I recommend you read up on the programme’s T&C and conduct your own risk assessment before acting

gnargel Jul 28, 2018 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by Raffles (Post 30022166)

Fair point, it is not explicitly prohibited in the T&Cs. Bbut Iberia did communicate the following which appears to indicate that transferring the points to BA would/could have some consequences:

"If the customers transfer these Avios to their BA Executive Club account, they will have a negative balance in the Iberia Plus programme, as those Avios wouldn’t have been spent by the date mentioned above."