Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Iberia Airlines | Iberia Plus
Reload this Page >

Interesting: Groupon is selling Avios in Spain

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Interesting: Groupon is selling Avios in Spain

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2016, 11:30 am

Late update as I have been busy with work. One day after receiving the Paypal notification that they had decided in my favor, i received a non-canned email from Iberia stating that all my Avios on record had been credited. I take this to mean that Groupon forwarded the request to credit my Iberia account for 22,000 of the 62,000 Avios I purchased. What happened to the missing 40,000 Avios, I don't know. I received a refund and I am happy. I did let Iberia know that I had filed a Paypal dispute and that my refund was on it's way, no need to search for the missing Avios as I doubt Groupon ever forwarded the request to Iberia that I be credited for them.

I received credit back to my credit card from Paypal this past Monday.

For all of you who have been waiting 6 weeks plus, file your Paypal dispute if you paid Groupon via Paypal. This whole deal has been, as Clint Eastwood said in Heartbreak Ridge, " a clusterf*ck". Good luck to everyone else in recovering your money or receiving the Avios.

Last edited by Agustinl71; Feb 3, 2016 at 12:14 pm
Old Feb 4, 2016, 11:31 am

Still no sign of the bonus. Starting to think the 120 day wait is more accurate than 45
Old Feb 4, 2016, 12:02 pm

It has been mentioned already, but Iberia has many promotions like this with very long wait times. An example is their (targeted) "Christmas present" promotion where they gave you points just for registering and extra points for booking before January 6th, but whose Avios are only annotated in late to mid February.

What I'm trying to say is that when Iberia talks of a 40-120 day period, they mean it. As LupineChemist says, Spaniards are used to this kind of thing, but better stay away if you are not armed with considerable patience.
Old Feb 4, 2016, 12:57 pm

Originally Posted by Yllanes
It has been mentioned already, but Iberia has many promotions like this with very long wait times. An example is their (targeted) "Christmas present" promotion where they gave you points just for registering and extra points for booking before January 6th, but whose Avios are only annotated in late to mid February.

What I'm trying to say is that when Iberia talks of a 40-120 day period, they mean it. As LupineChemist says, Spaniards are used to this kind of thing, but better stay away if you are not armed with considerable patience.
Indeed. It has been a learning experience (my first purchase through their store). I suppose the key is to forget about it and they'll come when they come.
Old Feb 4, 2016, 1:01 pm

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by goldencondor
Indeed. It has been a learning experience (my first purchase through their store). I suppose the key is to forget about it and they'll come when they come.
The only problem is that PayPal has time limits to file disputes, so you need to keep track.

I wanna move to Spain. Their leisurely pace seems quite appealing...
Old Feb 5, 2016, 4:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Originally Posted by goldencondor
I've had miles turn up that I had totally forgotten about. But it's not good, it should be more efficient than that. I hope you lot are finally getting this sorted out and are coming to the end of this.
Old Feb 5, 2016, 5:50 am

Just imagine the opposite situation: I buy from Groupon or Iberia, but tell them I will send money sometime between 40 and 120 days!
Old Feb 5, 2016, 5:52 am

Originally Posted by erik19283
Just imagine the opposite situation: I buy from Groupon or Iberia, but tell them I will send money sometime between 40 and 120 days!
Old Feb 8, 2016, 7:17 am

Programs: AAdvantage, BA Executive Club
I've been a bit of a lurker on this topic -- made six avios purchases and two of them are "Canjeado" and posted to my IB account even though they were all redeemed on the same day. Is the thought that they will all eventually post or should I try and process the ones that aren't "Canjeado" again?
Old Feb 8, 2016, 6:02 pm

Originally Posted by SeahawksNYC
I've been a bit of a lurker on this topic -- made six avios purchases and two of them are "Canjeado" and posted to my IB account even though they were all redeemed on the same day. Is the thought that they will all eventually post or should I try and process the ones that aren't "Canjeado" again?
I would contact Groupon to see if you receive any help. The coupons which are not redeemed, you will not be able to redeem them as the website/portal that Groupon set up for the redeeming of the coupons no longer works or processes the coupon.

Groupon did not process 5x8000 coupons I purchased although they showed as redeemed. I was able to get a refund since I used Paypal and Groupon never replied or acknowledged my claim.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 4:25 am

Programs: Chicago Transit Authority: Kevlar
Originally Posted by SeahawksNYC
SeahawksNYC & Augustin, PayPal saved me. After waiting a reasonable amount of time, in human terms, not Spanish terms,I filed a claim with PayPal for the purchase of the Groupons which I processed but were negligently not credited to my Iberia Plus account, It took a couple of weeks but I did get a refund. Both Groupon.es and Iberia Plus are out to lunch.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 8:42 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH Senator, SPG Gold
I purchased 5 x 4000 and 5 x 8000 (assuming a 60k limit as initially in the T&C).

Groupon.es is giving their usual bs and I have tried to contact Iberia twice now. I sent them one more e-mail, FB and Twitter messages and informed all the parties that I will report the 5 x 8000 charge as fraud if they don't respond properly. Unfortunately I didn't use Paypal but the credit card companies here are quite customer oriented..

I remember Groupon being such a scam when it entered the market here and swore never use them again. I forgot..

Any hints for a contact that actually responds would be appreciated.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 9:07 pm

Originally Posted by ojala
I purchased 5 x 4000 and 5 x 8000 (assuming a 60k limit as initially in the T&C).

Groupon.es is giving their usual bs and I have tried to contact Iberia twice now. I sent them one more e-mail, FB and Twitter messages and informed all the parties that I will report the 5 x 8000 charge as fraud if they don't respond properly. Unfortunately I didn't use Paypal but the credit card companies here are quite customer oriented..

I remember Groupon being such a scam when it entered the market here and swore never use them again. I forgot..

Any hints for a contact that actually responds would be appreciated.
I just called Iberia's listed telephone number on their website, I am in the US but they would then transfer me to Spain I am assuming based on the Spanish spoken by the rep, I speak Spanish and that helped alot.

Groupon, I called the number listed on the Groupon coupon. Have one of the coupons handy as you will be asked for the security code printed on the coupon. You only need to provide one code, I assume they use that as a reference to locate your order. Once again, speaking Spanish goes a long way to getting further than the agent providing you a canned response.

Just keep in mind that Groupon does not take calls prior to 9Am in the timezone that Spain is located in and only Monday through Friday. Their calling tree options are archaic, you will have to try a few option before you will actually end up speaking to an agent.

In the end, both Iberia and Groupon will tell you that they will look into it and get back to you via email. I filed a claim with Paypal, that's who processed my payment, after multiple calls to Iberia and Groupon and getting nowhere. I recommend you do the same for your missing Avios. Some here are optimistic that they will receive the Avios, EVENTUALLY. I am on the mindset that I am due what I payed for in the agreed upon time.
Old Feb 10, 2016, 1:22 am

Groupons Avios purchase via IberiaPlus Store approved yesterday and in correct amount 16Avios/1EUR! Except the non delivered 8000 Avios, which I have claimed via Paypal and got refunded. Hope all will post soon to Iberia plus account.
Old Feb 10, 2016, 8:26 pm

Is there any way to issue complaint about Groupon and Iberia

Long story short.

I've bought 62K Avios from Groupon on Dec 23 and till now I only got 50K in my Iberia account. While I've sent 5 E-mails, 4 threads on Iberia's facebook, 4 calls to Iberia, I'm still getting "Please contact the other party" answer.

Unfortunately I paid through credit card directly so I cannot involve the great Paypal dispute to this issue.

Is there any ways to complain about these two companies? Not the complaint department in these two company - they are just driving me crazy. I would like to involve the public relationship and government parties (like AESA) to this issue now. Thanks a lot!

==============

What Iberia done is totally unacceptable. I think that this issue is totally fraudulent -
Jan 8 - I contacted Groupon and Groupon has mentioned that they have given all the information to Iberia, suggesting me to contact Iberia.
Jan 11 - Sent E-mail to Iberia, I contacted Iberia, reported the issue.
Jan 18 - Asked for an update, no response at all.
Jan 21 - Called Iberia, they asked for Groupon's coupon details and I've sent them through E-mail. They've acknowledged that they've received my E-mail.
Jan 24 - Sent E-mail to Iberia for update, no response.
Jan 26 - Called Iberia for an update. Only answer is wait. "We're working with Groupon on this one and third-party involved, it may take some time." I've expressed my dissatisfaction of this issue and would like to escalate the issue. Then the representative pretended she cannot hear my voice and then drop my call!
Feb 1 - Called Iberia for an update, answer is waiting again and "third-party involved so it may take some time". AGAIN!! After I expressed my dissatisfaction of this issue, the representative pretended she cannot hear my voice and then drop my call!
Feb 2 - Send a complaint on Iberia facebook, they replied immediately acting they are proactively working on that, and asked for my account. I've sent them through private message.
Feb 8 - Finally got a reply through E-mail and let me contact Groupon. WHAT? Iberia is working with Groupon and they said that this may take time, and the final result is letting me contact Groupon. This result totally drives me crazy.
Feb 10 - Start the fire on Facebook and I'll keep posting this issue on their Facebook. Iberia just replied "thanks for your patience".

==================================

In dealing with this issue, the representative of Iberia is not professional AT ALL and at last this comes to a totally unacceptable result, even not respecting the customer at all. I'm seeking for help on this forum and see if there is anything that I can do. Thanks!

Last edited by thetast; Feb 10, 2016 at 9:58 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.