Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Iberia Airlines | Iberia Plus
Reload this Page >

Activating Iberia Plus account in order to transfer BA Avios

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Activating Iberia Plus account in order to transfer BA Avios

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2019, 1:21 am

(wanting to transfer BA >> IB)
I have an Iberia Plus account for 90+ days but ever had any points inside. I wanted to transfer BA avios to the IB account but couldn't. Called IB and the rep said I can transfer some credit card points over (e.g. AMEX) to activate the account. I transferred 1K Chase UR points over and they showed up on the IB account instantly but the BA >> IB avios transfer still fails. I called IB again and this time a different rep said that I cannot use credit card transfers to activate the account.

I'm so confused and is now looking into the avios.com route. What do you guys recommend?
Old Jun 27, 2019, 1:26 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, A3 Gold, Sixt Diamond
Try this:
https://www.premium-flights.com/250-...t-iberia-plus/

But I guess it can take a few weeks for the points to be credited.
The fastest way is simply buying Avios from Iberia - they frequently sell them cheaper through Groupon.es, too.
Not sure about credit card transfers.
nsx likes this.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 10:19 pm

Thanks ChocolateFactory. I checked today and the account is activated presumably from the Chase UR transfer. I just transferred BA >> IB and booked an award without any issues.

These Iberia Plus reps can be clueless and don't know how their own program works
nsx, ChocolateFactory and tobsw like this.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 5:59 am

Programs: BAEC, Ib+, Accor, HHonors
Originally Posted by kouichi
Thanks ChocolateFactory. I checked today and the account is activated presumably from the Chase UR transfer. I just transferred BA >> IB and booked an award without any issues.

These Iberia Plus reps can be clueless and don't know how their own program works

Shhh!! Don't say it out loud!! Sometimes it works in your favour!
Old Aug 10, 2019, 10:53 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by ChocolateFactory
Try this:
https://www.premium-flights.com/250-...t-iberia-plus/

But I guess it can take a few weeks for the points to be credited.
5 weeks later the points have not posted. Oh well.
Old Aug 10, 2019, 1:38 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, A3 Gold, Sixt Diamond
Welcome to Iberia <3

To be honest, with any other airline, I’d be pissed. With IB, I have just come to accept things and laugh it off. I feel they are taking me closer to zen.
Old Dec 1, 2019, 6:46 am

Programs: UA MM, AA almost MM
I have a BA HHA. Once I activate my IB+ account, will I be able to transfer from BA to IB directly? or do I need to create an AerLingus account as well? I am US based.
Old Dec 1, 2019, 4:21 pm

BA -> IB is no problem. You only need an Aer Lingus Account if you want to transfer from IB into a BA HHA.
Old Jan 12, 2020, 2:59 am

Programs: BA Gold (and many other greater and lesser distinctions)
How to instantly "activate" an IB Plus account to enable a transfer from BA ?

I want to book an IB award flight but have no Avios in my IB account, so need to transfer from BA.

My IB account is more than 90 days old but has never had any activity, so a transfer is not currently possible.

Are there any non-flying ways to . instantly "activate" the IB account ? I have just transferred some Amex points but these could take 4 days to arrive and I am looking for something instant as there is only 1 seat available on the flight I want to book.

Any help appreciated !
Old Feb 8, 2020, 5:51 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Plat+, FoundersCard, Amex Plat, TR Diamond, Marriott Gold, Wyndham Dia, HH Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by Frequentflyer99
I want to book an IB award flight but have no Avios in my IB account, so need to transfer from BA.

My IB account is more than 90 days old but has never had any activity, so a transfer is not currently possible.

Are there any non-flying ways to . instantly "activate" the IB account ? I have just transferred some Amex points but these could take 4 days to arrive and I am looking for something instant as there is only 1 seat available on the flight I want to book.

Any help appreciated !
What did you figure out? I'm looking for something similar but my situation is far less urgent (I just need to earn some IB+ Avios in a few months)
Old Feb 8, 2020, 10:50 pm

Programs: BA Gold (and many other greater and lesser distinctions)
Originally Posted by huge
What did you figure out? I'm looking for something similar but my situation is far less urgent (I just need to earn some IB+ Avios in a few months)
My Amex points transfer took a couple of days and my account was instantly 'activated' once they arrived. I also signed up for E-Rewards and that produced 200 Avios, which I assume would have produced the same result but took longer to appear.
Old Feb 9, 2020, 1:35 am

Programs: Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by wripro
Just wanted to ask one more time to be sure. Is transferring MR points to IB Plus enough to activate the account so I can transfer avios from BA? I don't want to waster the points if it doesn't do the job. Thanks.
The only other point I would make, is that it is vital that your details are identical on both accounts. Many have been caught out on this one when trying to transfer.
Old May 9, 2022, 4:10 am

Are there currently any quick possibilities to activate an IB Plus account that is not yet 90 days old?

My new IB account has 9-digits (I learnt earlier it was 8-digits). I tried tried to register for Erewards but failed, as my IB Plus number could not be recognized.

Amex rewards says transfers to IB's new 9-digit account do not work and Marriott Bonvoy transfer failed as well (error message: "number cannot be recognised").

Buying Avios is currently also not working at IB.

Very frustrating as I urgently need to book an Iberia reward which is not available at ba.com, but still shows 2 seats at iberia.com. I need only 1150 Avios to book it and would like move them over from BA.
Old May 9, 2022, 4:24 am

You are mixing up two things: In order to be able to transfer BA Avios to Iberia (Combine my Avios), the IB account needs to 90 days old AND active. To make the IB account active, you can transfer Amex points or buy points or credit a flight, whatever.
But even with the IB account being active, it still needs to be 90 days old. How much is the award? If it's cheap, maybe I can help you out, feel free to PM me.
Old May 9, 2022, 5:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Isn't there some way to transfer to IB through Avios.com?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.