Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Iberia Airlines | Iberia Plus
Reload this Page >

Activating Iberia Plus account in order to transfer BA Avios

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Activating Iberia Plus account in order to transfer BA Avios

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2014, 7:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
It works fine for me.

Try using this direct link which should bring you to the transfer page:

https://www.britishairways.com/trave...club/_gf/en_us
Old Mar 5, 2014, 10:52 am

Is there a way to sign someone up for a new e-rewards account such that transferring points to IB Avios will be offered?
Old Mar 10, 2014, 2:11 pm
bcx

I can't transfer from BA to Iberia because I have no points/activity in my Iberia+ account.

But can I transfer from BA to Avios.com and then to Iberia+ without having any prior points/activity in my Iberia+ account?
Old Mar 12, 2014, 11:47 pm

Programs: All of 'em
Made IB+ (and AY+) Silver this week. First time elite at any oneworld. My celebration lasted all of 2 nanoseconds before combining all outstanding Avios into the BA piggy. Yeah, typical Wednesday.
Old Mar 13, 2014, 8:36 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by shorthauldad
Is there a way to sign someone up for a new e-rewards account such that transferring points to IB Avios will be offered?
I think you need to get invited, e.g. via IHG or Hilton and this will allow IB as well as BA transfers

Signing up on avios.com will create an e-rewards that can only redeem for avios.com - but you could get 750 avios every month or so until banned (if they actually notice)!

Originally Posted by bcx
I can't transfer from BA to Iberia because I have no points/activity in my Iberia+ account.

But can I transfer from BA to Avios.com and then to Iberia+ without having any prior points/activity in my Iberia+ account?
No
Old Mar 24, 2014, 6:19 am

Hi all,
I just finished a call with Iberia support as I was unable to combine my BA avios into my Iberia account. It is over 90 days but there are no points in it currently. The Iberia operator said I couldn't purchase avios via Iberia to activate the account. Is this true? Has the policy changed? She said I would need to fly once to activate. Has anyone recently had success buying avios via Iberia to activate to enable BA transfers to Iberia?

Thanks!
Old Mar 24, 2014, 3:15 pm

Update: You can still buy 2k Avios from Iberia to activate the account and within a few minutes make it eligible for transfer. The operator was trying to make a sale or something...
Old Mar 27, 2014, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Is there any benefit to transferring to IB? Especially for US based folks?
Old Mar 27, 2014, 3:27 pm

Programs: Priority Club, TAM Fidelidade, BAEC, Marriott Rewards
Well, the purchase itself will activate the account. You can do it online.
The benefit is if you buy an IB+ ticket with avios, the taxes are much lower than for the same ticket booked through BAEC. Plus, you can earn with some partners that are not BAEC partners (car hire, hotels, airlines). Earning some avios this way will activate the account too.
Old Mar 12, 2015, 9:47 am

Originally Posted by ttru
Update: You can still buy 2k Avios from Iberia to activate the account and within a few minutes make it eligible for transfer. The operator was trying to make a sale or something...
Sorry for bumping this old thread...

I'm thinking of buying 2K Iberia Avios to activate the account, but do I still need to wait the 90 days (it's only been 20 days for me) to transfer from BA?

Also, has anybody outside UK tried changing address to an English address recently? Is this an easy process?

http://thepointsguy.com/2014/04/how-...irways-iberia/

EDIT: I just read the T+C for purchasing Avios... looks like they can only be bought if balance is greater than 0 AND you must have had an Iberia card for >3 months.

Last edited by DaveInLA; Mar 12, 2015 at 10:03 am
Old Mar 12, 2015, 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by DaveInLA
I'm thinking of buying 2K Iberia Avios to activate the account, but do I still need to wait the 90 days (it's only been 20 days for me) to transfer from BA?
Yes, you need to wait the full 90 days, unfortunately, I am currently waiting too. You don't need to buy the Avios, there are many ways to activate the account for free, like the Hailo telephone app (discussed in this board), e-rewards, credit card points transfer, hotel, car hire...
Old Mar 12, 2015, 5:33 pm

Originally Posted by neuromancer
Yes, you need to wait the full 90 days, unfortunately, I am currently waiting too. You don't need to buy the Avios, there are many ways to activate the account for free, like the Hailo telephone app (discussed in this board), e-rewards, credit card points transfer, hotel, car hire...
I looked up the Hailo trick and it seems it is for Android only. I have an iPhone but I do have an Android tablet. Will this work as well? I assume this will work even before 90 days?

I have no credit cards that transfer to Iberia. I just read about e-rewards and that is a last-resort option. I don't have any hotel stays upcoming that will give miles.
Old Mar 13, 2015, 5:56 am

Programs: IB+, BAEC
I thought the 90 days was to transfer FROM IB. IIRC you can transfer to IB as soon as it's activated.
Old Mar 15, 2015, 12:15 pm

Well, as soon as I try to log in my Iberia account from within combine my Avios, it says "The account must be 90 days old", even before I choose the direction of the transfer.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 5:19 am

Programs: BA*GGL, A3*G, AF*P, VS*S
Originally Posted by LupineChemist
I thought the 90 days was to transfer FROM IB. IIRC you can transfer to IB as soon as it's activated.
I am unable to transfer to IB using Combine My Avios at IB or BA, despite my account being many months old, so I think it must be both ways.

Trying the Hailo trick now!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.