Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Iberia Airlines | Iberia Plus
Reload this Page >

Activating Iberia Plus account in order to transfer BA Avios

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Activating Iberia Plus account in order to transfer BA Avios

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2015, 6:38 am

Programs: BA Silver
So simply said, is there a way to transfer AVIOS from BA to IB when your account is less than 90 days old? I moved to Madrid, and it seems to be worthwhile to use AVIOS on IB rather than BA.

I am Gold on BA, would that make a difference? Just wondering, as I am sure there might be a way.
Old Apr 4, 2015, 5:31 pm

Programs: Priority Club, TAM Fidelidade, BAEC, Marriott Rewards
Simply, no. You'll have to wait. That's why it's a good idea to register to IB+ asap, even if you don't intend to use it
Old Apr 5, 2015, 9:48 am

Programs: MUCCI
Originally Posted by AlmostBritish
I moved to Madrid, and it seems to be worthwhile to use AVIOS on IB rather than BA.
I strongly advise you to keep both accounts 'active'. In the future you can move the Avios points back and forward as you need.

Why do I suggest keeping both active? - Each programme has its own pluses and minuses.
- When crediting a partner transaction (e.g. hire car, hotel stay, etc) sometimes the rates you will earn are different between the two schemes, or one of them will have a promo running.
- they both have earning partners that the other doesn't have.
- their peak and off peak dates for redemptions (this is a new thing being brought in) are actually different

When it comes to making redemptions:
- BAEC has much better refund rules than IB+ if you need to make any changes.
So I would do everything you can redemptions wise (apart from IB) from BAEC.
- BAEC has 'reward flight saver' rates, but IB+ doesn't. (so if you book a BA flight LON-MAD from BAEC it will be cheaper than if the same flight from IB+) And to enjoy reward flight saver prices, you need to have earned an Avios point in the BAEC account in the last year.
- IB+ has lower surcharges for booking IB flights than BAEC

What you can NOT move is Tier Points / Status points. So it is wise to pick a single scheme for crediting too - to ensure you get status.

If you are now based in Spain, IB+ might make sense as the scheme to choose as you can earn status points directly from Vueling bookings, etc, they don't need to be booked under the IB codeshare. And IB+ high status members can use the arrivals lounge on appropriate flights, people from other OW programmes (e.g. BAEC) can not.

The only hesitation I would have about suggesting you switch crediting flights to IB+ would be how close are you life time Gold in BAEC?
Old Apr 5, 2015, 10:57 pm

Programs: IB+, BAEC
Welcome to Madrid. I hope you understand of why I never left after coming here for a temporary stint years ago. Your easiest way to activate will be by using a partner in the city. Go see a movie at a Cinesa (There are VOS at the one in Sanchinarro), buy a couple € worth of something at a Repsol (plenty in the city itself).

There are lots of great partners for accumulating avios with IB+. If you need car insurance, Mutua gives you 9000 for a policy with them. I recommend just reading through the partner sites for a bit.
Old Apr 22, 2015, 8:57 am

Thank you so much for the clear answer. I am far far off from lifetime Gold (unfortunately). This is my first year of being Gold.

I do not wish to deactivate either account, because of the benefits you mentioned. I was merely trying to activate my IB account.

Just to get it clear:

By purchasing something that will give me Avios in my IB account, my account is activated and thus I may transfer Avios from my BA to my IB account? Even when my account is younger than 90 days?
Old Apr 23, 2015, 5:46 am

Programs: Priority Club, TAM Fidelidade, BAEC, Marriott Rewards
It will activate the account, but just after the 90 days. BOTH conditions must be fulfilled (account 90 days old AND active).
Old Apr 25, 2015, 3:42 am

Disappointing Well then I will have to wait
Old Jun 21, 2015, 1:09 am

Programs: BA
Does anyone have an updated way to activate Iberia Plus account? I have an iPhone (not Android), so I can't use the Hailo app. I don't have an AMEX, so I can't transfer points directly into my IB+ account...
Old Jun 21, 2015, 1:53 am

Programs: IB+, BAEC
Avis rental cars work. Also some hotels. Obviously crediting an AA flight.

Just have a look at the partners page.
Old Jun 21, 2015, 1:55 am

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by LupineChemist
Avis rental cars work. Also some hotels. Obviously crediting an AA flight.

Just have a look at the partners page.
I meant like promotional ways...
Old Jul 16, 2015, 10:04 am

Combine my avios with a household account

Apologies if this has already been discussed, but I have a household account with my wife and son at BA, but would like to move avios from that account into my iberia plus account. BA website doesn't seem to allow it. Has anybody had this problem? Is there a solution or a thread that I can't seem to find? Thanks.
Old Jul 16, 2015, 10:25 am

You cannot combine avios online with a HHA. I believe that you have two options:

- Create an avios.com account as an intermediary for avios transfers
- Call
Old Jul 19, 2015, 5:08 am

Programs: BAEC Silver; Hilton Diamond;a miscellany of other hotel non-statuses
Originally Posted by wiivile
Does anyone have an updated way to activate Iberia Plus account? I have an iPhone (not Android), so I can't use the Hailo app. I don't have an AMEX, so I can't transfer points directly into my IB+ account...
Maybe you have this sorted now, maybe not - so here's a set of options that work in UK, and potentially further away.

Last edited by EsherFlyer; Jul 19, 2015 at 12:25 pm
Old Aug 3, 2015, 3:51 am

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Very helpful, thanks EsherFlyer!
Old Sep 2, 2015, 11:24 am

Originally Posted by EsherFlyer
Maybe you have this sorted now, maybe not - so here's a set of options that work in UK, and potentially further away.
It seems that now a journey on the Heathrow Express would give 100 Avios (or 200 if traveling in Business First). See here.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.