Community
Wiki Posts
Search

reward ticket cancel/change fees

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2015, 7:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
This is why it's always better to book 1 ways... Yes, more cancellation fees if your whole trip is cancelled, but much much more flexible...
Old Apr 15, 2015, 5:42 am

Programs: UA 1K, AS MVP Gold, TK *Gold, HHonors Gold, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Diamond
reward ticket cancel/change fees

Yep, lesson learned the hard way. Best to book these as one-way flights.

The silver lining was that I was trying to be home a day earlier for an event that didn't happen and had the best day of the trip in Madrid on that extra day!

Glad it all worked out eventually but for those who want a bit more flexibility and aren't too bothered by with €25, best to book Iberia awards as one-ways. Thanks everyone for your responses.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 10:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
So is the no-changes, no refund for IB partner, BA , still stands?

I booked a BA flight through IB+ as it was cheaper in cash+points than over at BAEC. But now it looks like I'll just buy the ticket so need to refund this award.

I think I booked mine under Blue class.

So am I scr*wed ? No refund of miles and cash whatsoever?

Edited : I just saw this under my booking , in an email with the confirmed booking..

Changes permitted before departure with a €25 penalty
Refund Permitted 24 hours before departure the first flight of the ticket with a penalty of 25€ . If ticket not contains flights IB5XXX
So I guess I am good for cancellation.. So would that mean that they'll take the 25 penalty from the cost that I originally paid for the award, eg €68.70 minus €25? Or would it be separate?

Double update : Called IB+. Yes to cancel. Yes to fee. But no refund of AVIOS. Bummer.

Last edited by Guy Betsy; Apr 23, 2015 at 10:19 pm
Old Apr 23, 2015, 11:40 am

Programs: LH SEN, FB Plat., HH D.
Hi all,

Does anybody know if IB+ Gold members can ask to be waitlisted for an IB TATL award in Biz Class? If so, what are the chances of being confirmed? I know it will depend in the route and dates but probably some here can advise their experience.

Thanks,
Old Apr 23, 2015, 1:12 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by more4less
Hi all,

Does anybody know if IB+ Gold members can ask to be waitlisted for an IB TATL award in Biz Class? If so, what are the chances of being confirmed? I know it will depend in the route and dates but probably some here can advise their experience.

Thanks,

As far as I know, waitlists were available for redemptions long time ago, even then it was very hit and miss. Now they offer Priority Rewards for double the Avios (same as BAEC) to Gold and Platinum members, so I guess waitlists are out of the question.
Old Apr 24, 2015, 2:17 am

Originally Posted by Travellair
As far as I know, waitlists were available for redemptions long time ago, even then it was very hit and miss. Now they offer Priority Rewards for double the Avios (same as BAEC) to Gold and Platinum members, so I guess waitlists are out of the question.
Thanks very much Travellair.
Old Apr 24, 2015, 6:19 am

Hi all,

another 2 questions, hopefully somebody can help.

1) If I buy a ticket in H(lowest upgradeable class) and there is availability in revenue Biz Class(both in the reduced and flexible fares), when requesting an upgrade will it clear immediately or only if there is availability for biz class awards?

2) When searching for availability in biz awards, sometimes it shows no availability and sometimes it does not even mention biz class.
I remember reading here why it was like this, but cannot remember the reason. Can somebody advise?

Thanks,
Old Apr 24, 2015, 8:12 am

Programs: BA Gold
1) You need availability in U (Biz class award) to upgrade a revenue ticket with Avios. For domestic and European flights, the lowest upgradeable class is K.

2) The website is very unreliable. Sometimes you may encounter issues with married segments. Perhaps Point of Sale also comes into play. In my experience, if the Business Class column doesn’t even appear it will usually mean that there’s no availability at all.
Old Apr 24, 2015, 2:04 pm

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
I am thinking of moving some BA Avios over to IB Avios. I tried searching and I am using the wrong words I think.

Question: Is IB Avios going up on 4/28 as BA Avios is? If not I may just move my leftover BA Avios over as I can get a better value in the future with IB Avios for J Class redemptions
Old Apr 25, 2015, 11:00 am

Originally Posted by Travellair
1) You need availability in U (Biz class award) to upgrade a revenue ticket with Avios. For domestic and European flights, the lowest upgradeable class is K.

2) The website is very unreliable. Sometimes you may encounter issues with married segments. Perhaps Point of Sale also comes into play. In my experience, if the Business Class column doesn’t even appear it will usually mean that there’s no availability at all.
Thanks again Travellair!

1) Duly noted. H must be the lowest upgradeable class for TATL flights.

2) You are right. Availability on the TATL segment is different if I try to book from Bcn or from Mad.
Old Oct 8, 2015, 10:57 am

I want to book a business class award flight MAD-RAK under the current 40% off promo using Avios. Fees around around $30-40. If I cancel this in a few days, I understand I'll get the Avios back as well as the fees minus 25 Euro?
Old Oct 12, 2015, 1:23 pm

yes, but you have to call to get the paid taxes parcialmente back.
Old Dec 3, 2015, 9:30 am

Programs: AI, AA, AC, AS, BA
Originally Posted by WORLDWIDE TRAVELER
yes, but you have to call to get the paid taxes parcialmente back.
Does it mean that the taxes refunded would be less than those paid?

I have MIA-MAD Econ Blue tickets booked for our family one way. When I asked them to cancel, they quoted 40 USD as total deduction instead of 25 EUR as quoted on website/tickets. The reason: I booked using USD initially.
A bit strange to me since the penalty goes up 13 USD per person for us this way. Any suggestions around this issue would be thankful.
Old Dec 18, 2015, 8:13 am

Programs: AI, AA, AC, AS, BA
I was able to get the 25 EUR penalty only applied on my refund by requesting a supervisor escalation eventually.
Old Dec 18, 2015, 5:14 pm

Programs: BA
I don't understand why anyone would want the Turista class that is fully flexible when it costs so many more Avios as opposed to just a 25 EUR fee in the event that you would want to change/cancel with the Blue class?

I also don't understand why partner airlines are completely nonrefundable. That's contrary to the point of award tickets and very contrary to BA's policy...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.