Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency Hong Kong Tsim Sha Tsui - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 3, 2016, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: forumpersona999
This is a Cat 4 Hotel located in the K11 mall

Considered by many, but certainly not everyone, to be a better location Hyatt then the GH HK.

Hotel email: [email protected].

DSU will get you a Regency Suite and access to the Lounge

All Suite occupant will include the following benefits in the Regency Club Lounge on 23rd floor:

• Complimentary Continental Buffet Breakfast
• Complimentary Evening Cocktails
• All day complimentary tea, coffee and soft drink service

Picture of the Lounge:
(add here if you have it)

Picture of the Regency Suite:
(add here if you have it)
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/23375541-post319.html

tips:

Other Perks:

Blogger Reviews:
http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...tsim-sha-tsui/

Print Wikipost

Hyatt Regency Hong Kong Tsim Sha Tsui - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2019, 7:39 pm

Programs: United GS, MM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Thanks for the replies. I was torn between the GH, but looks like the TST is going to be the best bet for our first time visiting. Small rooms aren’t too big of a deal since we have 2. Plus we’re touring, so will be spending most of the time OUT of our room.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 5:40 am
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

Originally Posted by Kacee
The HR location is much better; in fact, I don't like the GH location at all. Note though that the base rooms at HR are very small, and the regency suite is not particularly spacious, either.

Both the JW and Conrad are also in an excellent location (though very different from Kowloon). The Conrad in particular has nice sized rooms.
Say, what, very small? I guess that’s a matter of definition. I believe we’re looking at 28sqm for the rooms, and 50-ish sqm for the suite? I wonder how many Hongkongers could fit in an apartment of that size? For very small, perhaps try one of the Holiday Inn Express (or local non-chain hotels), with 13-18sqm rooms.

I struggle to see how the JW/Conrad loaction is any better than GH for tourists. It’s fine if you need to be there for business, or want to be near a transportation hub, but the location is dreadful at night —completely dead. I’d say “excellent” locations for tourists on the HK Island side would be Crowne Plaza Causeway Bay or maybe Indigo Wan Chai.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 2:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP 4MM, Piper Dakota, Admirals Club, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Gold, Wyndham Diamond
Originally Posted by Chukiechz
Thanks for the replies. I was torn between the GH, but looks like the TST is going to be the best bet for our first time visiting. Small rooms aren’t too big of a deal since we have 2. Plus we’re touring, so will be spending most of the time OUT of our room.

On my second visit to the HR, the first being only a planned one night stay, extended an additional night due to a flight delay. I had no idea what was going on under the hotel before this current stay. On the ground floor entrance there is a rather non descriptive door (makes me think of the rabbit hole in Alice in Wonderland) opposite the street exit that leads to a huge multi level underground shopping mall, kids play area, restaurants and the MTR (subway). A great place to get around out of the rain. I highly recommend the Roast Duck Restaurant down there. We had a multi course Peking Duck lunch for 2 for under $600 HKD. New employee Janis in the Regency Club has gone out of the way to help us with local attractions. We are enjoying our stay more and more each day.
Chukiechz likes this.

Last edited by 236Dakota; Mar 12, 2019 at 3:05 am
Old Mar 11, 2019, 6:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by jpdx
Say, what, very small? I guess that’s a matter of definition. I believe we’re looking at 28sqm for the rooms, and 50-ish sqm for the suite? I wonder how many Hongkongers could fit in an apartment of that size? For very small, perhaps try one of the Holiday Inn Express (or local non-chain hotels), with 13-18sqm rooms.
For an American, it's a tiny room. And as others have previously noted, the 28 sqm measurement is dubious at best. I think it's closer to 20-22 sqm.

I struggle to see how the JW/Conrad loaction is any better than GH for tourists. It’s fine if you need to be there for business, or want to be near a transportation hub, but the location is dreadful at night —completely dead. I’d say “excellent” locations for tourists on the HK Island side would be Crowne Plaza Causeway Bay or maybe Indigo Wan Chai.
Then I can only conclude you're not familiar with the JW/Conrad location. Hong Kong Park is literally right out the back door, the Victoria Peak tram just a little further, and the Zoo and Botanical Gardens a little further past that. They connect directly to Admiralty MTR, so you are just one quick stop from TST. Wan Chai is an easy walk. LKF, SoHo, and the midlevels are a very quick cab ride (and much easier to reach than they would be from TST). Bowen Road, IMO the best place to run in Central or Kowloon, is just up the hill. Overall, I've found this to be the very best location in Hong Kong for a visitor (reinforced when I stayed at the JW last week).
Old Mar 11, 2019, 6:52 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If you're near the Victoria Peak tram, wouldn't it be more fun to use the escalator to get to midlevels versus taking a taxi?
Old Mar 11, 2019, 6:54 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
I do not think JW/ Conrad location is particularly good for a tourist unless you want to walk around a mall. It is not bad but not great. And yes I know the location very well.

HR TST is good for tourists and I'd choose central or causeway bay over Pacific Place too. More local places to walk to. Better restaurants. Better shopping.

HR is great for TST, along with Peninsula. JW and Conrad for Admiralty. MO and 4 Seasons for.Central.

I do like JW as centrally located by MTR or taxi but not walking, especially in summer when sweltering.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 10:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Who cares how many HKers could fit? They are selling to tourists, not HKers.

But basically I stopped reading when the rooms at the GH HK were referred to as spacious. Spacious for a closet maybe, but not for a room.

And the room sizes on the website are blatant lies; Hyatt corporate really needs to do something about that. If its on their website they are responsible for its accuracy, even if lying about room sizes is the norm in HK.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 3:38 pm

The GH club people are snooty at best, often hostile (and maybe that’s ok; they do preside over superior champagne after all).
Really? Would you mind elaborating?

From personal experience, I have a hard time finding any of the staff in the lounge "snooty."
Old Mar 16, 2019, 9:49 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
When room size is listed on hotel websites, I suspect that it includes entry, bathrooms, etc. and not the way room sizes would be measured in private homes except in analogy to the total square footage of the entire house (which sometimes includes screened balconies, terraces, etc. as well as bathrooms, closets, hallways, etc.).
Old Mar 16, 2019, 11:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
When room size is listed on hotel websites, I suspect that it includes entry, bathrooms, etc. and not the way room sizes would be measured in private homes except in analogy to the total square footage of the entire house (which sometimes includes screened balconies, terraces, etc. as well as bathrooms, closets, hallways, etc.).
Yes I would expect that too.

After including all that, I would not expect than to add another 20-30% to the total, though, which is what the GH HK does.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 8:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I checked into this place last night. Privé rate + TSU.

Suite is nice but oddly-shaped. There is a lot of wasted space. Everything is comfortable though. The bathroom is nice.

I'm having breakfast at the cafe right now. It is VERY good, and, while they have a bit of everything, they focus on local food. One of my pet peeves is when you travel halfway around the world and breakfast is american food with one token local dish that is actually the Americanized version. It might have something to do with the clientele; they are mostly Chinese (so they are not trying to cater to what they think an American wants).

Service has been good so far. My amenity was waiting for me in my suite when I checked in. A nice bottle of wine and bowl of fruit.

Now if only I could somehow get Hyatt to understand that I don't drink wine, and of much rather have them send up a couple of bottles of beer, I'd be set. That's more of a system-wide Hyatt thing though.

Considering that much of the world does not drink... I wonder what they send up as an amenity in that case? And I wonder how they get that preference noted in the system?
Old Apr 14, 2019, 2:34 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Here again. Service was quite good - they arranged a complimentary cake for my little one's birthday, a free cot, and generally offered nice service in lounge (check in part, not the food part which seems overwhelmed with guests and doesn't clean up plates in a timely manner).

Big downsides remain an understocked gym for those who like to pump iron (though excellent for cardio folks w. Erg machines).

And for me Sheraton full breakfast is much better than lounge breakfast here.

Basically will switch between here and Sheraton on price and whether lifting/ off day when in HK.

Family preferred SH because of food choices at breakfast

Old Apr 14, 2019, 11:09 am

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
I checked into this place last night. Privé rate + TSU.

Suite is nice but oddly-shaped. There is a lot of wasted space. Everything is comfortable though. The bathroom is nice.

I'm having breakfast at the cafe right now. It is VERY good, and, while they have a bit of everything, they focus on local food. One of my pet peeves is when you travel halfway around the world and breakfast is american food with one token local dish that is actually the Americanized version. It might have something to do with the clientele; they are mostly Chinese (so they are not trying to cater to what they think an American wants).

Service has been good so far. My amenity was waiting for me in my suite when I checked in. A nice bottle of wine and bowl of fruit.

Now if only I could somehow get Hyatt to understand that I don't drink wine, and of much rather have them send up a couple of bottles of beer, I'd be set. That's more of a system-wide Hyatt thing though.

Considering that much of the world does not drink... I wonder what they send up as an amenity in that case? And I wonder how they get that preference noted in the system?
since you’re booked with Prive your travel agent can note that you don’t drink wine in your profile perhaps and to send up some local beer perhaps? Shouldn’t be too hard I’d think and likely cheaper too!
Old May 19, 2019, 8:59 pm

I am at the Hyatt TST now and the only amenity I got was a bowl of fruit so the service is inconsistent in regards to what amenity they offer!
Old May 19, 2019, 9:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by britinva79
I am at the Hyatt TST now and the only amenity I got was a bowl of fruit so the service is inconsistent in regards to what amenity they offer!
If you are in a suite, I think that bowl of fruit is standard. You should also get a bottle of wine if you are on a Privé rate.. If you don't, ask.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.