Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt - Best Rate Guarantee - Experiences - MASTER THREAD - WIKI

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 16, 2014, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: coleslaw
Update in Hyatt BRG policy (April 2019): If your BRG claim is approved, you can choose either 5,000 World of Hyatt points or an additional 20% off the matched rate for your stay (defined as consecutive nights at the same location). Rates available on websites that require membership which is free of charge, or where membership is automatically created as part of the booking, are eligible for BRG claims.

.................................................. ..........

Recent Experiences Using the BRG (2018 and later)

YES
  • Hotels.com - April 2019
  • Booking.com - May 2019

MAYBE
  • Skoosh - April 2019 (initially rejected as "membership site" but approved on appeal)
NO
  • SnapTravel

Update in Hyatt BRG policy (July 2017): if your BRG claim is approved, Hyatt will match the comparable lower rate, but will no longer offer a further 20% discount on the matched lower rate. Instead, after your stay on the BRG approved rate, you will receive a US$50 credit (or equivalent amount in the currency of your country of residence) to use on a future stay (completed within 12 months) booked on a Standard Rate, Advance Purchase Rate or Member Rate on Hyatt.com.

Q. How do I receive the $50 credit?
A. About 3-4 days after your BRG stay, Hyatt will email you a unique rate code to apply for your new reservation. You can either click on the link in the mail to book the reservation or manually enter it into the booking at Hyatt.com.

Q. Can I use the code more than once?
A. No. The code is invalid when it has already been attached to a reservation.

Q. Can I use the code to lower a rate like AAA or Double Points?
A. No. The BRG code books into its own unique rate class and can't be used with any other promotional rates.

Q. What happens if I cancel my reservation with the BRG code applied?
A. The code will can be re-used for another reservation. For this reason, DO NOT DELETE THE EMAIL FROM HYATT UNTIL AFTER YOUR STAY.

Q. What happens if a lower base rate appears available after I book the BRG rate?
A. You can cancel the first reservation (assuming there's no penalty) and then rebook using the code for the lower rate.

If you are dissatisfied with the response to your BRG claim, and it was processed by the Hyatt Service Desk in Omaha (9805 Q Street), you can consider filing a consumer complaint (link to online form) with the Nebraska Attorney General's Office (Consumer Protection Division). Note that the online complaint form requires you to fill in a correspondence address in the US (though you can state a preference to receive correspondence by e-mail rather than by post). As reported in Post # 2691, if the AG's Office decides to investigate, it is possible that Hyatt will review your BRG claim again and, in addition, offer points for the inconvenience.

If your BRG claim was processed by the Hyatt Service Desk in Marion (1120 North Carbon Street Suite 70), you can consider filing a consumer complaint (link to online form) with the Illinois Attorney General's Office.

From Post # 12:
Originally Posted by Smart Shopper
If you can’t solve your issue (please mind Hyatt's Consumer Affairs Department assists us at 1-800-323-7249) here are some other resources:

Sound Off
  • Contact Consumer Traveler (my pick: Christopher Elliott)
  • Consumer Tools (My3cents.com is a leading source of consumer advice)
  • Post a complaint for public view
  • Consumer Comment Form (please mind: If you file a complaint it becomes property of “Consumer Affairs” and they are not obliged to remove it if you solve the issue)

Conde Nast's Traveler's "Ombudsman" column features a traveler's complaint column. Send in your complaint to Ombudsman, Conde Nast Traveler, 4 Times Square, New York, NY 10036.

Legal Options
  • File a complaint at you state's attorney general's office
  • Small Claims Court (link provides also a helping hand on how to resolve problem without going to small claims court)
  • Federal Trade Commission (The FTC does not resolve individual consumer complaints.)
Print Wikipost

Hyatt - Best Rate Guarantee - Experiences - MASTER THREAD - WIKI

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2016, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Thunderroad
I'm new to BRG, so would welcome any advice re the following as I learn my way:

I'm seeing a Grand Hyatt Berlin advance purchase being offered on Agoda for a fair amount less than at the Hyatt site. Could someone let me know if I'm understanding the BRG rules correctly.

1. The Agoda option includes hotel tax and city tax, added on to the pre-tax rate. Am I correct in assuming that Hyatt won't honor the BRG because taxes are included in the rate? What if I make a claim based on the pre-tax rate that Agoda stipulates for the room?
2. Even if #1 were not a problem: Though Agoda identifies the room as a Grand King, in the small print it indicates that the room actually has two single beds, which is the same as the Grand Twin Hyatt is offering. Is there any way of pointing this out to Hyatt and thus getting the BRG honored?
3. Am I correct in assuming that if I do get the BRG matching Agoda, I'll qualify for the Hyatt points and perks (including Diamond perks), contrary to if I'd booked through Agoda?

Thanks for any help and patience as I try to understand all this better.
1. As long as both the pre-tax and post-tax rates on Agoda are lower than the ones of Hyatt, you will be fine. In general, European properties must include VAT in their basic rates and this can trip up Kayak searches in USD.

2. In my experience, Hyatt don't really make a big deal about King or Twin, as long as the room type is the same. (standard room, no matter what it is called by the property in question)

3. Yes, by booking directly with a BRG you will earn points, status credit, the ability to apply a DSU, welcome amenity, etc. With Agoda, you should get some on-property benefits by showing your card (but you might not since the hotel will have no record of your status).
Old Mar 31, 2016, 5:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Extremely useful reply, craig. Thanks so much!
Old Apr 1, 2016, 11:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Sorry, folks, a couple more BRG newbie questions, after doing a quick search and coming up empty:

1. It's been about 36 hours since filing my BRG, with no reply from Hyatt. Is it normal for it to take longer than 24 hours?
2. At what point should I follow up, and in what way? Is there a way to remind them of the BRG claim? Or do I simply file a new one from scratch? Is it worth it to call the Diamond line?
3. Is the office that handles these requests open on weekends?

Thanks for any help.
Old Apr 1, 2016, 11:48 pm

Programs: AC*Super Elite (100K) / PR*Elite / AY*Platinum (OWE) / SPG*Bonvoy Titanium (LTT)
Originally Posted by Thunderroad
Sorry, folks, a couple more BRG newbie questions, after doing a quick search and coming up empty:

1. It's been about 36 hours since filing my BRG, with no reply from Hyatt. Is it normal for it to take longer than 24 hours?
2. At what point should I follow up, and in what way? Is there a way to remind them of the BRG claim? Or do I simply file a new one from scratch? Is it worth it to call the Diamond line?
3. Is the office that handles these requests open on weekends?

Thanks for any help.
As a fellow SPG'er like yourself who's new to Hyatt, my experiences with Hyatt BRG are quite limited as well. But so far this year, almost all but 1 of my paid stays with Hyatt are BRG. (11 stays so far up to March).

What I can tell you that IME, 36 hours is too long. I just call the diamond line and ask them to transfer me to BRG desk if I had any questions or concerns. I had claims approved on a Sunday if I'm not mistaken from Omaha desk.
Old Apr 1, 2016, 11:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks very much, supatight80!
Old Apr 4, 2016, 10:35 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Gold...
Originally Posted by tyvoodoo
Still rolling, what a deal

Hotel Name: Grand Hyatt Hong Kong
Date(s): September 2016 - 2 Nights
Number of Adults: 2
Room Type: Grand King
Hyatt Rate: 3,200 HKD
Competing website: Booking.com
Competing rate: 2,275 HKD
BRG Reward: 20%
Actual confirmed rate: 1,820 HKD

After the BRG was processed I used a DSU.
Yeah you are. This has to be the greatest run of BRG's yet!!! Keep rollin!!!
Old Apr 4, 2016, 4:04 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist No More..., Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Hotel Name: Andaz 5th Ave
Date(s): April 2016 - 2 nights
Number of Adults: 2
Room Type: King
Hyatt Rate: $325
Competing website: Priceline
Competing rate: $312.13
Actual confirmed rate: $249.70

I used a DSU with this room, a $650/night suite. I feel like I'm cheating the hotel. LOL.
Old Apr 5, 2016, 3:21 am

Programs: SK Gold
Having absolutely no experience with BRGs whatsoever, may I ask some booking advice please. I am planning to stay 3 days at the Grand Hyatt in Berlin. The rate on the Hyatt website is 190 eur. On Expedia (book now, pay at hotel) the rate is about 160 eur. Should I just book the Expedia rate? Would it count as an eligible stay and would I get points, since I pay at the hotel? Or should I book on the Hyatt site and then file a BRG? Any insight would be highly appreciated, thanks!
Old Apr 5, 2016, 6:06 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist No More..., Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Travel4Love
Having absolutely no experience with BRGs whatsoever, may I ask some booking advice please. I am planning to stay 3 days at the Grand Hyatt in Berlin. The rate on the Hyatt website is 190 eur. On Expedia (book now, pay at hotel) the rate is about 160 eur. Should I just book the Expedia rate? Would it count as an eligible stay and would I get points, since I pay at the hotel? Or should I book on the Hyatt site and then file a BRG? Any insight would be highly appreciated, thanks!
Best Rate Guarantee is offered by Hyatt. You must book the room with Hyatt and then put in a claim for the Expedia rate. Within 24 hours (typically), Hyatt will investigate your claim and verify that the rate is still valid. If so, they will adjust your existing Hyatt rate to 20% LOWER than the Expedia rate.

So no DO NOT book the Expedia rate if you want stay credit/nights. Just like any other booking, you must book directly through Hyatt (or select travel agencies) to be considered an eligible stay.
Old Apr 5, 2016, 6:07 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist; Hilton Gold; Marriott Ambassador; Delta PM; United Silver; Global Entry
Originally Posted by Travel4Love
The Expedia booking would not be an eligible stay and thus would not earn points. You should book on the Hyatt site and then file your BRG claim. Make sure you get a good screenshot of the Expedia rate and that your booking on Hyatt is for the same room type and dates.
Old Apr 5, 2016, 5:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I haven't filed a Hyatt BRG claim for weeks and just realized that Hyatt had gone to the dark side. I wish it were clear on the BRG form that a reservation is required instead of letting you file BRG without it, then reject it.

It should not take more than one hour for a webmaster to change "Confirmation #" to a required field and test it.

Last edited by TerryK; Apr 5, 2016 at 5:46 pm
Old Apr 6, 2016, 6:51 am

Yea and it sucks b/c the T&C still state that you can do the BRG before having a reservation. It wouldn't even take a webmaster an hour to do it. More like 10 mins at most and that includes republishing the webpage.

I hate the fact that you can only do BRGs on new reservations so when you find a good rate days or weeks later, you have to go book a NEW reservation, get the BRG, and then cancel the first one. That seems like a lot of work for nothing. (If it's a refundable rate of course).

Right now I hate the 24 hour thing. I've found multiple good rates on priceline but by the time the agent checks it, 20 something hours later, the rate is gone. I wish that they still had a direct call in number.
Old Apr 6, 2016, 6:58 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: QF, VA, AC, Hyatt, Marriott
FTC complaint filed

Originally Posted by danger
I'm getting closer and closer to lodging a complaint.

https://www.ftccomplaintassistant.gov/#&panel1-3
I gave it a lot of thought but made the decision to gather all my '...?' and 'You can't be serious?' moments from Hyatt's BRG program along with a sprinkle of some of those found hear and, two days ago, I filed a formal complaint with the US Federal Trade Commission alleging the program is a scam and operates, at least in part, fraudulently. I then gathered another 25-odd pages that I couldn't upload and mailed them to their office at 600 Penn Ave NW, DC.

We'll see. I'm certainly not expecting a major press conference by the titans of the FTC but I do hope it will be looked into.
Old Apr 6, 2016, 7:51 am

Hyatt just refused a claim from agoda's mobile website, despite wiki stating both agoda and mobile bookings are ok.

The agent's claim was not that everybody has a phone. I found this a bit weak, especially since I made the Hyatt.com booking from their mobile website too. Not impressed
Old Apr 6, 2016, 8:06 am

Originally Posted by danger
I gave it a lot of thought but made the decision to gather all my '...?' and 'You can't be serious?' moments from Hyatt's BRG program along with a sprinkle of some of those found hear and, two days ago, I filed a formal complaint with the US Federal Trade Commission alleging the program is a scam and operates, at least in part, fraudulently. I then gathered another 25-odd pages that I couldn't upload and mailed them to their office at 600 Penn Ave NW, DC.

We'll see. I'm certainly not expecting a major press conference by the titans of the FTC but I do hope it will be looked into.
Seriously....sure there rules don't make sense to us sometimes but they are not scamming you. You meet the specific criteria that they are looking for, you get the BRG.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.