Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

"Free Trial" Platinum Status on Signup or Upgrade for Members - 5/1-8/31 2009

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Free Trial" Platinum Status on Signup or Upgrade for Members - 5/1-8/31 2009

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2009, 7:43 am

Originally Posted by CanuckinKL
What do you mean by request the suite upgrades? My understanding was that these are virtual upgrades maintained in your account for you to request use of when you've made a confirmed paid reservation? Do I understand this correctly, or are there, as you have suggested, actual physical upgrade certs?
I was not referring to paper certificates, but the electronic certificates posted to the account. When I said to request suite upgrades, I meant to ask GP to allocate electronic suite upgrades to specific reservations. In my experience, even with the confirmed electronic suite upgrades, you may not be able to secure a suite at certain properties (PH Beaver Creek, for one) or when supply of suites is insufficient.
Old Sep 19, 2009, 10:12 am

Programs: Life SPG Plat, 7X NH DIA
I set my alarm for this one and called first thing on Saturday AM.
The first rep I spoke to confirmed that the the promo was extended but said that my 15 nights needed to be completed by the 18th. Argh!

Called again. Got to a Supervisor. Explained the whole situation again. Call dropped. She didn't call me back! Back to square one. Argh! (But maybe this was a good thing!) The Sup seemed ridgid and demanding and the outlook was bleak.
She came across like someone working the desk at the UA RCC club!

Call 3 on Sat AM was great. A very sympathetic Sup who messaged his manager. The Mgr will be in on Monday, and the Sup has recommended that something be done for me. The goal of the program is to attract loyal customers and 17 stays and 22 revenue nights in the first 50 days should fit this bill.

Sure, like any of us I like my status. However, I'll have DIA by 10/12 anyway. I just feel like bad information and a lack of willingness to capture my business on the part of GP CS has cost me a minimum of 20K points, 4 confirmed upgrade e-certs, and Diamond day of arrival room upgrades.

We'll see how this works out. The last guy I spoke with was the only inspiring sup/rep I've had contact with since I added Hyatt to my "folio" or programs.

Cheers,

Scho
Old Sep 19, 2009, 12:33 pm

Originally Posted by schoflyer
I set my alarm for this one and called first thing on Saturday AM.
The first rep I spoke to confirmed that the the promo was extended but said that my 15 nights needed to be completed by the 18th. Argh!

Called again. Got to a Supervisor. Explained the whole situation again. Call dropped. She didn't call me back! Back to square one. Argh! (But maybe this was a good thing!) The Sup seemed ridgid and demanding and the outlook was bleak.
She came across like someone working the desk at the UA RCC club!

Call 3 on Sat AM was great. A very sympathetic Sup who messaged his manager. The Mgr will be in on Monday, and the Sup has recommended that something be done for me. The goal of the program is to attract loyal customers and 17 stays and 22 revenue nights in the first 50 days should fit this bill.

Sure, like any of us I like my status. However, I'll have DIA by 10/12 anyway. I just feel like bad information and a lack of willingness to capture my business on the part of GP CS has cost me a minimum of 20K points, 4 confirmed upgrade e-certs, and Diamond day of arrival room upgrades.

We'll see how this works out. The last guy I spoke with was the only inspiring sup/rep I've had contact with since I added Hyatt to my "folio" or programs.

Cheers,

Scho
I'm confused. Are you a new or Gold GP member or were you Platinum before signing up for this promotion? The promotion was supposed to give you trial Platinum and the opportunity to retain Platinum with 5 nights or earn Diamond after 15 nights. Those who were already Platinum were given a Diamond trial with the same opportunity. If you were Platinum and were not bumped to Diamond, there is a problem. In another post you mentioned you just went from 0 to 22,000 GPP, so I don't think that's the case. If you were Gold or a new member and expected to get Diamond immediately, that's not how the program was supposed to work. Perhaps you should have requested a status match instead.
Old Sep 19, 2009, 4:01 pm

I'm new to Hyatt GP.
Opened account with 0 stays as a gold on 9/2.
By design or not, I've read posts that seemed chronicle Gold/NOOBs requesting Diamond and getting it. I could be mistaken.
I too thought that you couldn't "start" at Diamond but that's not what I seem to have observed actually happen.

I was never specifically "allowed" to do the Platinum Trial AND denied Diamond Trial during the extension. If GP would have done this based on the T&C, fine. I like to play by the rules. I was told on two occasions that I missed the boat when the promo had been extended.

In any event I have by now qualified for Platinum organically.
If they decide to extend me trial benefits after denying me access to the "trial" twice during the extension period only Diamond is left to offer.

If they are going to come back and say, "Well, we would have only offered you Plat and you are already Plat so you are SOL." Whatever.

My gripe is with the inconsistent CS reps. Why should I be forced to live with "bad" advice from knownothing reps? If heard it once, you've heard it 1000 times. Threre are a lot of reps that just don't get it. For example the rep that said this morning that the promo had been extended but I wouldn't qualify anyway because I had 120 days from the start of the promo to get my nights stayed. It is pretty clear to all that you need to complete you nights withing 120 days of registration.

I'm going to hit DIA in 22 days with or without their help. I'm going to be Diamond through Feb 2012 by the end of January. I'm a Diamond caliber customer moving forward as they define it. They should be doing the right thing, communicating effectively, and not fumbling around offering and extension so some and not to all. They shouldn't be penalizing me points because the wrong person answered the phone! Twice!

Crikey! There are so many that scored Diamond e-certs on this promo that will use them, grab suites, fall out of status and disappear! Why would they want to be playing "cat & mouse" with me? The answer...They don't but the front line for new members cant seem to figure it out. Those DIA's e-upgrades are guaranteed revenue nights for Hyatt just like mine would be guaranteed revenue nights.

I'll reserve judgement on the program until August 2011 after 20 months with a Private Line rep. I hear they are the "bomb". Unfortunately, the SPG Plat Concierge crew has suffered since their ranks were diluted with the advent of "SPG Ambassadors".

I could be "matched" to Diamond and burn that once in a lifetime deal, but why would I do that when I can "save" the match for a rainy day?

The better GP treats me, the more of my business they get. Plain and simple. And when I'm denied a promo because it "ended" and then it's extended, and then I'm denied again during the extension. It's wrong. It's wrong if it happens to me, you, or anyone. Plain and simple. On/Off. No shades of gray!

Cheers,
Scho

Last edited by schoflyer; Sep 19, 2009 at 4:55 pm
Old Sep 20, 2009, 3:37 am

Originally Posted by schoflyer
I'm a Diamond caliber customer moving forward as they define it.
No need to get your panties in a bunch. Let's be real. You had zero stays as of the start of this month. And you are now ranting about a status that you weren't EVEN SUPPOSED TO GET thru this promo as a base member!!!!

You are a Diamond caliber customer because you are going to make 13 stays in 2009 to get Diamond, and then another 13 stays in January 2010 so that you can requalify for 2 further years? And all of these on the double stay promo? And on top of this pathetic "half" effort to earn Diamond (probably at sub-$100 per night properties would be my guess), you also get 13 FREE NIGHTS AT ANY HYATT WORLDWIDE? And you have the gaul to come on FT and rip into Hyatt about how horrible a company they are? I'm just speechless frankly.

Possibly you should calm down, quit your ranting, and instead be happy/thankful you can get such a great deal for top elite status at such a great chain as Hyatt for the next 28 months, 13 Free Nights, all the regular points, and all for under a few thousand dollars.

If I were Hyatt, I wouldn't want to offer any of these promos after reading ungrateful rants like yours. JMHO.
Old Sep 20, 2009, 2:18 pm

Originally Posted by gregorygrady
No need to get your panties in a bunch. Let's be real. You had zero stays as of the start of this month. And you are now ranting about a status that you weren't EVEN SUPPOSED TO GET thru this promo as a base member!!!! You are a Diamond caliber customer because you are going to make 13 stays in 2009 to get Diamond, and then another 13 stays in January 2010 so that you can requalify for 2 further years? And all of these on the double stay promo? And on top of this pathetic "half" effort to earn Diamond (probably at sub-$100 per night properties would be my guess), you also get 13 FREE NIGHTS AT ANY HYATT WORLDWIDE? And you have the gaul to come on FT and rip into Hyatt about how horrible a company they are? I'm just speechless frankly. Possibly you should calm down, quit your ranting, and instead be happy/thankful you can get such a great deal for top elite status at such a great chain as Hyatt for the next 28 months, 13 Free Nights, all the regular points, and all for under a few thousand dollars. If I were Hyatt, I wouldn't want to offer any of these promos after reading ungrateful rants like yours. JMHO.
Hmmm... That's an opinion alright... Maybe not so humble. I don't think you're speechless, and if you were your assumptions are loud and clear in your post.
In self defense from the drive-by from the Hon. gregorygrady and just to clear a few things up...
1) I don't wear panties but so what if I did?
2) I was ranting about the inconsistent HGP CS like so many people do across this and other threads.
For Example:http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt...ing-twist.html See Post #10
You simply got bad info from a CSR, simple as that. First off, the status will be valid until either Feb 2011 or else Feb 2012. Certainly not until Dec 2011. The fact that nobody else has heard this, and CSRs are notoriously wrong often leads me to believe that most probably the CSR was incorrect.
AND how they extended the promo, for which I was clearly eligible, to some members but not to all members.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/newre...ply&p=12408526 See Post #33
FWIW, I just wanted to ease your conscience and let you know that you were correct. The "Stay 15 Nights, Get GP Diamond Fast-Track Promo/Plat Trial" in fact WAS valid until Sept 15th originally. For fairly obvious reasons that's a pretty bad end date for Hyatt to offer a 120-day challenge that gives Diamond at the end. Hyatt obviously realized their mistake after they had already published it and then clawed it back to the proper date of August 31st. Then I guess they had people call them on it so gave granted it on a case by case basis for some reason until Sept 18th it seems.

3) I am a Diamond caliber customer because I qualify/will qualify for that tier status legally via the T&C of the HGP program. There is nothing "half" about me, my effort, my status, or my dollars.
4) I am calm and I am happy. HGP is a very rewarding program and hence they have earned my business. I plan to maintain my SPG Plat and HGP DIA in the future to better leverage my loyalty benefits. HGP's generosity has certainly made the transition smooth. The exception to this is the lack of uniformity in offering non-targeted promotions to the entire membership body.
5) I never ripped Hyatt as horrible a company. I detailed my lackluster experience and how it pertained to this specific promo. Which also happens to be the topic of this thread.
6) Unlike the Hon. gregorygrady I never judged or made disparaging remarks to specific members of FT, their stay patterns, expenses, etc. I did say that many newly minted Diamonds will likely use/abuse the program benefits (instant e-certs) and disappear. I’m not in this camp.
7) Since when does anybody in this loyalty points game we play just sit back and smile when they are selectively dis-allowed something? If they (HGP) just decided to give you 500 W1 points from now on but offered other Diamonds 1000 I suppose you’d just be grateful, thank them, and only write nice things on the boards?

Lastly, the next time you need to smackdown another "pathetic" member of the FT community keep in mind that it’s gall not gaul.

Cheers,
Schoflyer
Member since Feb 2003
2000+ posts

PS: The next time you don't get that upgrade maybe it will by mine

Last edited by schoflyer; Sep 20, 2009 at 9:38 pm
Old Sep 21, 2009, 4:13 pm

Programs: Qantas Platinum, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist
I have just joined this forum and have been spending my time trying to read as much as possible!!!
I was SO disappointed when I read this offer of 'upgrading' your Hyatt level and realised I had missed the deadline!
BUT...... I emailed Hyatt!!!
And although I didn't get the whole 'deal', they did upgrade me to Diamond until the end of February 2010!!!
Amazing!!!
So, thanks to all of you for all the info!
Old Sep 21, 2009, 9:08 pm

Programs: Delta Silver, United 2P, SQ, SPG Plat, PC Plat AMB, Hyatt Dia, Hilton Gold, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by frogss29
I have just joined this forum and have been spending my time trying to read as much as possible!!!
I was SO disappointed when I read this offer of 'upgrading' your Hyatt level and realised I had missed the deadline!
And although I didn't get the whole 'deal', they did upgrade me to Diamond until the end of February 2010!!!
Amazing!!!

Hey frogss good for you. Can you clarify what you meant by not getting the "whole deal"? You are a Diamond until Feb 2010, with Diamond suite upgrade e-certs into your account and assume you can re-qualify like others with 15 nights within 120 days?
Old Sep 21, 2009, 10:00 pm

You got a better deal then every one else! They had to make 15 nights and you will only have to make 13 one night stays to get Diamond until Feb 2011. Plus you will get free nights to go with your status. Why are you unhappy, sign me up for the same program?

Originally Posted by frogss29
Amazing!!!
Old Sep 22, 2009, 12:00 am

Programs: Qantas Platinum, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist
Well, this just proves how inexperienced I am with this deal!!!
I am more than happy!!!
It obviously helps to read the fine print!
Old Sep 22, 2009, 2:30 pm

Exclamation Don't assume tier expiration is your 120 day deadline!

After speaking with a couple of GP reps and an e-mail exchange with another, it is clear that you must complete the 15 nights within exactly 120 days from enrollment. This is somewhat confusing since the only date listed on the GoldPassport account is the tier expiration, and there is nothing referencing the promotion. Therefore, one has to remember the exact date they enrolled and count 120 days (not 4 calendar months, but actual days) to determine the required checkout day to meet the terms of the promotion.
Old Sep 22, 2009, 8:33 pm

Programs: Delta Silver, United 2P, SQ, SPG Plat, PC Plat AMB, Hyatt Dia, Hilton Gold, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by DealDetective
After speaking with a couple of GP reps and an e-mail exchange with another, it is clear that you must complete the 15 nights within exactly 120 days from enrollment. This is somewhat confusing since the only date listed on the GoldPassport account is the tier expiration, and there is nothing referencing the promotion. Therefore, one has to remember the exact date they enrolled and count 120 days (not 4 calendar months, but actual days) to determine the required checkout day to meet the terms of the promotion.
This is correct. I know of someone who has an email from HGP with an exact date in December by which they need to have their 5/15 nights in.
Old Sep 24, 2009, 7:16 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold,IHG Plat Amb, CC Gold, Kimpton IC, United, AA, BA, Amtrak G.R.
Just to clarify, to maintain Diamond status, I would need 15 nights within 120 days of my upgrade OR I would need 13 stays during the time period of the FFN promotion(b/c of the double stay bonus). Either one of these would give me diamond status for an extra year, correct? Thx.
Old Sep 24, 2009, 7:36 pm
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport
Original Poster

Originally Posted by musikdude
Just to clarify, to maintain Diamond status, I would need 15 nights within 120 days of my upgrade OR I would need 13 stays during the time period of the FFN promotion(b/c of the double stay bonus). Either one of these would give me diamond status for an extra year, correct? Thx.
I would think you are correct - since 15 nights within 120 days is this promotion - or 13 stays count double (26 therefore) under the FFN promotion.
Old Sep 24, 2009, 7:37 pm

I registered with the trial and got Platium in Aug. After reading the stories here that some noobs also got Diamond directly AND the extension of the promo till 9/18 on near the mid-night of 9/17, I decided to call GP the next morning. You know what? The promo expired and disapeared from GP site in the moring of 9/18!

Not a problem. Might as well made the call and find out. Maybe I could get lucky and still get the Diamond for the coming Oct stays.

The 1st rep I talked to did not know anything about the platinum/diamond trials.

Try one more time. The 2nd rep knew them and said that since I was in Platinum tial, I could not be bumped up to Diamond trial. Fine. If that's the rule. But then he told me if I wanted to reach Diamond, I need to complete Platinum trial of 5 nights AND THEN complete 25 stays/50 nights!

What the !@#$ was that? Sent an email to GP and got the confirmation two days later that it is 15 nights to get Diamond from Platinum trial.

Agree with schoflyer. The problem is the inconsistant Rep.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.