Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

TOKYO: Park Hyatt or Grand Hyatt?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TOKYO: Park Hyatt or Grand Hyatt?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2015, 9:53 pm

Originally Posted by hailstorm
My point was that "reasonably likely" and "guaranteed" are two different things.

During NYE as a Diamond, I received no upgrade at all at Andaz. I doubt that using Virtuoso would have changed that.
Of course. I did not say that a suite was guaranteed. Booking top room category guarantees that room type and positions you for a possible suite upgrade. That is perfectly acceptable to me.
Old Jun 6, 2015, 12:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
Of course. I did not say that a suite was guaranteed. Booking top room category guarantees that room type and positions you for a possible suite upgrade. That is perfectly acceptable to me.
Given the choice of booking an $800 room with a chance at a suite upgrade, or $150+points for at least a base room, I am likely to choose the latter. But with option C of heading down the road to the Grand Hyatt and getting a guaranteed suite for that same $150+points...well, Andaz isn't that much better enough to overcome it for me.

The only reason I end up at the Andaz Tokyo is that the DSUs are not limitless.
Old Jun 6, 2015, 1:43 am

Given the choice of booking an $800 room with a chance at a suite upgrade, or $150+points for at least a base room, I am likely to choose the latter. But with option C of heading down the road to the Grand Hyatt and getting a guaranteed suite for that same $150+points...well, Andaz isn't that much better enough to overcome it for me.

It's very hard to overlook the value proposition of a confirmed suite upgrade on a rock bottom rate.

The choice is easier for me because I don't have DSUs, making the price difference between the properties less significant.

I also am usually traveling solo, so don't really need a suite. At some hotels, like PHT, I even prefer a View room to the entry level suites.

Last edited by MikeFromTokyo; Jun 6, 2015 at 1:53 am
Old Jun 6, 2015, 3:38 am

Programs: | *G | STE | HGP ♦ | SPG Au | MR Au
not really an issue I have atm.

I also am usually traveling solo, so don't really need a suite. At some hotels, like PHT, I even prefer a View room to the entry level suites.
I am curious as to why, I usually travel solo too but I enjoy the suite.
Old Jun 6, 2015, 3:53 am

Originally Posted by DHalltheway
I am curious as to why, I usually travel solo too but I enjoy the suite.
Oh, don't get me wrong I love suites at many hotels, but at others I'll often pick a spacious room or junior suite with good views instead.

It depends on rate and what I value most. At some hotels view is better from top rooms than in entry level suites.
Old Jun 6, 2015, 4:00 am

Oh, don't get me wrong I love suites at many hotels, but at others I'll often pick a spacious room or junior suite with good views instead.

It depends on rate and what I value most. At some hotels view is better from top rooms than in entry level suites.
Ic, answers most of my question

But I was also specifically curious regarding the PHT: what makes you prefer the view room over the entry level suite?
Old Jun 6, 2015, 4:35 am

Originally Posted by DHalltheway
Ic, answers most of my question

But I was also specifically curious regarding the PHT: what makes you prefer the view room over the entry level suite?
I like the corner views from the bedroom and bathroom. Plus it has a good layout and has everything I need.

Now, a Diplomat Suite or higher category I really would enjoy. I hope PHT proceeds with the refurbishment that was announced a while back. It's a fine hotel but needs to be brought up to date a bit. They definitely should in time for the Olympics, if not sooner.
Old Jun 6, 2015, 5:16 am

I like the corner views from the bedroom and bathroom. Plus it has a good layout and has everything I need.

Now, a Diplomat Suite or higher category I really would enjoy. I hope PHT proceeds with the refurbishment that was announced a while back. It's a fine hotel but needs to be brought up to date a bit. They definitely should in time for the Olympics, if not sooner.
Fair enough.

I like the entry level suite at the PHT as it is and since I have DSUs it is not a bad proposition for me.

But I don't choose the PHT because they don't to upgrade me to a higher category room when I book a standard room as a diamond. This leads me to believe that the chance of me being upgraded in a suite are impossible.
Old Jun 6, 2015, 5:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

They definitely should in time for the Olympics, if not sooner.
I guess they didn't like what Mr. Piet Boon had in mind, or it would have been done by now.
Old Jun 6, 2015, 2:07 pm

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
Originally Posted by wideman
What I like best about the GH is the easy access to a huge choice of places to eat next door in Roppongi Hills -- Butagumi (absolutely terrific tonkatsu), the very good conveyor sushi joint in The Hat, the excellent Tempura Mikawa, even a Starbucks if you need one. The PHT is a wonderful place to be, but it's a schlep when you want to go anywhere else.
I ate at Butagumi when I stayed at the GHT last year. Solid value.
Old Jun 7, 2015, 3:47 am

Programs: SPG Platinum/Hyatt Diamond
Platinums treated well here

Pleasantly surprised last evening on being upgraded to one category beyond that which I had booked. Combined with welcome drink and morning beverage
of choice (PHT gifts this to plats) well, can't ask for much more gracious recognition than this particularly from a hotel that is pretty much 100% occupancy most nights these days.
Old Jun 7, 2015, 4:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by choco
particularly from a hotel that is pretty much 100% occupancy most nights these days.
100% occupancy? Really?

I'm seeing all room types at PHT available for booking tonight.
Old Jun 7, 2015, 6:15 am

Programs: SPG Platinum/Hyatt Diamond
100% last night (Saturday) very close to that many a night in recent months, according the the nice lady who checked me in.

You are of course correct : Sunday night in Tokyo tends to be the softest of the week though even Sunday will ramp up following the start of student summer vacation in July.
Old Jun 7, 2015, 6:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by choco
100% last night (Saturday) very close to that many a night in recent months, according the the nice lady who checked me in.

You are of course correct : Sunday night in Tokyo tends to be the softest of the week though even Sunday will ramp up following the start of student summer vacation in July.
I see availability wide open for next Saturday. Though I'm sure that the nice lady would like you to believe that they are full.
Old Jun 7, 2015, 6:46 am

I see availability wide open for next Saturday. Though I'm sure that the nice lady would like you to believe that they are full.
+1

The hotels that I generally see sold out are HRT and GHT.

PHT not so much, for some reason I always see availability.

YMMV of course

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.