Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

TOKYO: Park Hyatt or Grand Hyatt?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2009, 2:43 pm
Original Poster

Location: Illinois USA. AA EXPLT 3MM, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Diamond, IHG Plat Royal Ambassador

My partner and I have one FFN which we'll be using in Tokyo. We'll be staying only the one night, (as part of a mileage run), and have not been to Tokyo before. We'd love to hear from folks who've experienced both the Park Hyatt Tokyo and Grand Hyatt on which they'd use again if they had only one night.

Also, we're wondering which one is easiest to get to, and how to you get there?

Thanks to anyone willing to offer your thoughts!

Last edited by GW7Z; Apr 7, 2009 at 2:44 pm Reason: Some spelling corrected
Old Apr 7, 2009, 3:21 pm

Grand Hyatt is much easier to get to since it's right on top of the train station. It's probably better if you're doing the tourist thing and going in and out a few times. PHT is a brief shuttle bus ride or 15 minute walk from the station. If you're arriving from NRT, then both take a pretty long time to get to.
Old Apr 7, 2009, 4:04 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Plat
Generally speaking, Narita airport is really far from the city of Tokyo. Depending on the time of day, it's usually faster to take the narita express train into tokyo station. That takes about an hour. I'm not sure where the hotels are relative to that, though.
Old Apr 7, 2009, 6:06 pm

If only staying one night I would recommend the Grand Hyatt in Tokyo. In that area yout have Roppongi Hills, Roppongi and Tokyo Midtown. You can do alot every thing is walking distance.
Old Apr 7, 2009, 6:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Keep in mind that a limobus RT will set you back $60 pp.
Train+subway will be less but still quite pricey. NRT stopovers can get expensive before you even start spending.
Old Apr 8, 2009, 8:10 am

Both Grand Hyatt Tokyo and Park Hyatt Tokyo are not near any JR railway station. GHT is about 10 minutes walk from Roppongi station of the Hibiya line of Tokyo Metro(underground). PHT is about 15 minutes walk from the West exit of JR Shinjuku station. It will be quite an effort to take the train and walk there if you are carrying your bags. There was an earlier reference that GHT is on top of a railway station. That is not correct. I think the only hotel in Tokyo that is 'on top' of a railway station is Hotel Metropolitan Marunouchi which is at Tokyo Station, which is an enormous and complicated structure to start with.

If you are staying in a standard room, you will find PHT much more impressive that GHT.
Old Apr 8, 2009, 8:33 am
mjm
Original Member

The GHT is in fact only about a two minute walk from the exit nearest the front of the train at Roppongi Station on the Hibiya Line. The station is in fact connected to the plaza from which one accesses the Grand Hyatt. While the hotel is not on top of the station per se, the project (Roppongi Hills) of which it is a part) is in fact on top of the station.

If you have carry on only I would say the train is a viable option. If you have even rolling large suitcases the Limo Bus becomes the favorite call as it stops directly at both the Park and Grand Hyatts.

An evening at either is going to be great. In one day here you will have enough near either or accessible to either location to keep you very occupied.

Enjoy your trip and pop over to the Japan forum for any specialized advise you may require.

Mike

Originally Posted by lulu65
Both Grand Hyatt Tokyo and Park Hyatt Tokyo are not near any JR railway station. GHT is about 10 minutes walk from Roppongi station of the Hibiya line of Tokyo Metro(underground). PHT is about 15 minutes walk from the West exit of JR Shinjuku station. It will be quite an effort to take the train and walk there if you are carrying your bags. There was an earlier reference that GHT is on top of a railway station. That is not correct. I think the only hotel in Tokyo that is 'on top' of a railway station is Hotel Metropolitan Marunouchi which is at Tokyo Station, which is an enormous and complicated structure to start with.

If you are staying in a standard room, you will find PHT much more impressive that GHT.
Old Apr 8, 2009, 12:12 pm

We stayed in both this past March and liked both. But for only one night, go for Park Hyatt - it is rather an iconic property (Lost in Translation), offers really amazing views of Tokyo, has a cool gym and pool (although spa is only free for Diamonds). To get there you would take a Narita Express to Shinjuku. Shinjuku station is very complicated, but if you can find the L Tower, then PH has a free shuttle to the hotel from next to that building. While there you must check the City Metr Govt building and observation deck (free), even though the views from PH are amazing too. Walking distance from PHT is a Meiji Shrine, which would be a perfect sight for a day.

Grand Hyatt is more convenient for shopping and is also very impressive, the rooms are modern and very nice, kind of angular, very comfy. For exploring Tokyo, it is probably better located close to subway. The free spa, pool gym are very nice, as is the Club Lounge (free for diamonds, offering premium breakfast spreads, and canapes with good champagne, wine (such as Sancerre)).

For a single night, I would recommend Park Hyatt.
Old Apr 8, 2009, 2:41 pm

Location: Lahaina,HI USA AA PLT 9 Million Miles+, Hyatt Courtesy Card, Avis Presidents Club, Hertz No. 1 Club Gold, Starwood Platinum,OnePass Gold Elite,+++
Choosing between the two is something that I find VERY difficult.

Park Hyatt Tokyo is an experience. You shouldn't miss it.

Grand Hyatt Tokyo is wonderful. Lots of shops, restaurants, etc all within walking distance.

Last trip, I split my time between them, though I understand that would be quite difficult with one night.

Flip a coin and either one you pick will be great!

have a great time!

Ray
Old Apr 8, 2009, 6:41 pm

If just one night, for romance, go for the Park Hyatt. For convenience, definitely the Grand Hyatt.
Old Apr 9, 2009, 3:04 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

OK, many Narita Express trains can be taken directly to Shinjuku station, without a change. Check out the FT Japan forum for a deal that will cut the cost of the trip into Tokyo by 50%.

From Shinjuku station, I recommend taking a taxi to the Park Hyatt hotel. It should cost the flag drop, which is Y710. There is effectively no tipping in Japan.

The confusion about the Grand Hyatt is that the stop is a subway station. It runs on rails but is not operated by a train company. You cannot get to the Roppongi subway station from Tokyo station without transferring subway lines, so you have to take the train and then two different subway lines. I am tempted to suggest you just take a taxi from Tokyo station which should cost about Y2500. Or take the limousine bus directly to the hotel from the airport for about the same price, if the schedule is convenient.

There is also a bus that goes straight to the Park Hyatt.

You will have a great time at either hotel. My favorite is probably well known here, I am posting this from the Park Hyatt.
Old Apr 9, 2009, 6:09 am

If you're going to stay in the hotel, go for the Park Hyatt and have dinner or drinks at the New York Grill and enjoy the view.

If you plan to exit the hotel and walk around a bit, stay at the Grand Hyatt. There is more to do within a shorter distance at the GH. The PH is somewhat isolated.

Have a great stay.
Old Apr 9, 2009, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by lulu65
I think the only hotel in Tokyo that is 'on top' of a railway station is Hotel Metropolitan Marunouchi which is at Tokyo Station, which is an enormous and complicated structure to start with.
There are many hotels on 'top' of railway stations in Tokyo. As a matter of fact, there are four hotels on 'top' of Tokyo station alone: The Metropolitan, the Shangri-La, the Four Seasons Marunouchi, and the Marunouchi Hotel.
Old Apr 9, 2009, 7:32 pm

OP: one consideration is if you have luggage, or just carry on regarding taking train or bus into city.
Old Apr 10, 2009, 1:06 am

Programs: CX Gold, Krisflyer PPS, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum
PH

I am currently typing this from the PH Tokyo looking over the city from my room! This hotel is really amazing!! Can't judge about the GH, cause I haven't stayed there. This morning at the Spa you could see Mt Fuji ...... from the lockerroom.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.