Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

TOKYO: Park Hyatt or Grand Hyatt?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TOKYO: Park Hyatt or Grand Hyatt?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2014, 9:19 pm

Since we couldn't decide on our 4 award nights between the PHT (general consensus is better hotel) and GHT (general consensus is better location), we're planning on doing 2 nights at each. Do you guys think this is a good idea or too much hassle? We'll be traveling with a 6 month old infant so we won't be out clubbing or at the bars too late. However, we would like to be able to walk to restaurants and shops.

I poked around Google street view and it looks pretty dead within a 10 minute walk around PHT. Is that an accurate depiction of the immediate area around PHT?

If we were to split the stay between the 2 hotels, I would assume the easiest way of doing this is via taxi. Does anyone know how much this costs? Google maps says its about 20 mins.

What are the other alternatives and costs/time to go between the two hotels?
Old Jun 22, 2014, 10:47 pm

Programs: UA GS, NH Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist (formerly Courtesy Card sadly), Amanjunkie, CLEAR
While I personally love the GHT, with a child, I would just stay at the Park and use transit to visit any desired shopping areas or restaurants/bars. Personally I find packing, moving and unpacking a hassle. A taxi between the properties may be 25-30 USD.
Old Jun 23, 2014, 12:38 am

Originally Posted by ainternational
While I personally love the GHT, with a child, I would just stay at the Park and use transit to visit any desired shopping areas or restaurants/bars. Personally I find packing, moving and unpacking a hassle. A taxi between the properties may be 25-30 USD.
+1. Not worth changing hotels on such a short trip.
Old Jun 23, 2014, 12:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Agreed. Better to stay at the Park. If you have a stroller, all the shops by Shinjuku station aren't that far out of reach.
Old Jun 23, 2014, 6:25 am

Originally Posted by hailstorm
Agreed. Better to stay at the Park. If you have a stroller, all the shops by Shinjuku station aren't that far out of reach.
I agree...I found the walk to Shinjuku station to be quite short and pleasant. It is a straight shot down the main road from the PHT and if I recall there were shops and restaurants along the way. There is also a free shuttle from the PHT that will drop you off outside Shinjuku, where there are tons of shops and restaurants.

I would suggest a meal at Rokkasen for excellent yakiniku, which is right near the Shinjuku station, in the Sunflower building.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restauran...ure_Kanto.html

My wife and I were able to enjoy 2 nights at each the PHT and GHT, but we also spend 3 nights in Kyoto between each of the 2 nights in Tokyo. THat scheduling worked well for us. Also, as we had a JR pass, the PHT actually worked better as we could leave from Shinjuku and utilize the JR Pass. The GHT is closer to a Tokyo Metro station, which does not use the JR pass. Both are great properties, but we prefer the PHT.
Old Jun 23, 2014, 6:42 pm

I'll take everyone's advice and stay at the PHT for all 4 nights with the infant. The last night doesn't have a King (twin room available only). I'll have to figure out how to not switch rooms during the stay.
Old Jun 23, 2014, 8:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BillyFlyer
I'll take everyone's advice and stay at the PHT for all 4 nights with the infant. The last night doesn't have a King (twin room available only). I'll have to figure out how to not switch rooms during the stay.
Just tell them that you don't want to. I really doubt that such a thing would be necessary.

That said, worst case scenario, the "twin" beds are quite big, and I can't fathom it being a horrible experience to sleep in them for one night.
Old Jun 24, 2014, 12:30 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

True, all the "twin" beds at the PHT are at least standard double beds.
Old Jul 3, 2014, 8:31 am

lounge at GH versus PH

Does the Park Hyatt offer evening hors d'oeuvres ? or have a lounge ?We are traveling to Tokyo with 3 teenage kids who are always hungry. Just wondering if we are better off at the PH or GH Tokyo with our Diamond status ?
Old Jul 3, 2014, 9:30 am

Originally Posted by citynewz
Does the Park Hyatt offer evening hors d'oeuvres ? or have a lounge ?We are traveling to Tokyo with 3 teenage kids who are always hungry. Just wondering if we are better off at the PH or GH Tokyo with our Diamond status ?
I enjoyed the food and beverage offerings much more at the GH. The food selection is greater and non-alcoholic drinks are offered all day at the GH.

The PH has food that is well-done and alcohol, but it is set-up in a lobby bar and only for 4 hours at night. However, the food offerings are pretty minimal and a bit "higher end."

I'd choose the GH over the PH if the lounge is a big deciding factor for you as the PH doesn't have a true lounge.
Old Jul 14, 2014, 9:48 am
fMD

Hey everyone,

We'll be in Tokyo for ~36hrs in December and I'm trying to decide between the PH and GH. I'll be using CC certs and will hopefully have Diamond status by then. Could someone please elaborate on the 7 series BMW service that the GH has (and what the PH does for its shuttle to Shinjuku)? Also, I've read conflicting reports about suite upgrades at each place. Is the PH better in this category (currently)?
Old Apr 20, 2015, 2:03 pm

I realise I'm likely to get a biased view on this forum but...that being said....in this case I'm dammed if I do, dammed if I don't

So... given I want a location close to "the nightlife action"....

Conrad or GH?
Old Apr 20, 2015, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by love_flying_hate_strikes
I realise I'm likely to get a biased view on this forum but...that being said....in this case I'm dammed if I do, dammed if I don't

So... given I want a location close to "the nightlife action"....

Conrad or GH?
Foreigner nightlife action or Japanese nightlife action?

If the former, GH. If the latter, Conrad.
Old Apr 20, 2015, 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by hailstorm
Foreigner nightlife action or Japanese nightlife action?

If the former, GH. If the latter, Conrad.
Doesn't the latter exclude non-Japanese speakers?

No problem with that - I'm a great believer in "your house your rules", but that was my impression. Please feel free to correct / corroborate?
Old Apr 20, 2015, 3:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by love_flying_hate_strikes
Doesn't the latter exclude non-Japanese speakers?
Not at all. You'll just have to find a way to communicate..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.