Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt Shanghai - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Park Hyatt Shanghai - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2012, 12:32 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by holtju2
....This is where everything started to [un]ravel. I had an early morning flight in from Apia via Auckland. I had informed the hotel about my early arrival. If it hadn’t suited them, I would have just booked an InterContinental hotel where I have guaranteed 8AM check in as a Royal Ambassador member....
This is a bit confusing to me. Did you just mention this to the hotel or did they actually confirm that they knew you were arriving early and would have a room available early? It is not a guaranteed diamond benefit AFAIK. Most hotels would assume that the standard offer to keep your bags until the room became available met the requirements, absent specific other arrangements.

Incidentally, the monopoly maglev station taxi operator is well known for scamming customers (see the China forum). Would have been better to go out to the street and get a regular cab.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 5:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
This is a bit confusing to me. Did you just mention this to the hotel or did they actually confirm that they knew you were arriving early and would have a room available early? It is not a guaranteed diamond benefit AFAIK. Most hotels would assume that the standard offer to keep your bags until the room became available met the requirements, absent specific other arrangements.
They knew that I was arriving early and they had set aside a room, although I had NOT confirmed this with the prior hotel as I made the reservation during my hour long transfer in Auckland.

My point was that one of the ladies working on the front desk just said what the normal check in time is before actually checking my reservation.

If the early check in had been problematic, I would have just booked an InterContinental hotel where I have guaranteed 8AM check in.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 5:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by holtju2
They knew that I was arriving early and they had set aside a room, although I had NOT confirmed this with the prior hotel as I made the reservation during my hour long transfer in Auckland.

My point was that one of the ladies working on the front desk just said what the normal check in time is before actually checking my reservation.

If the early check in had been problematic, I would have just booked an InterContinental hotel where I have guaranteed 8AM check in.
The one brief time I was a RA at IC and tried the guaranteed early check-in, they put me into a regular room for several hours before the so-called suite I had booked became available. So bad things can happen everywhere.

But I am still not sure what you had confirmed. If your complaint is about a single bad front desk clerk, sadly that is not unique to either Hyatt or China, although admittedly it happens more regularly in mainland China than in (say) Bangkok or Tokyo.
Old Mar 26, 2012, 4:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I stayed at the Park Hyatt Shanghai in January and had an all around fantastic stay. I booked through Fine Hotels & Resorts through their "buy three get one free" offer, and then applied a Diamond Suite Upgrade on top of that. I wrote a full review of my stay along with pictures, which can be found here.
Old Apr 22, 2012, 9:42 am

Stayed with 6 000 points in a suite. Here are some pictures:

Suite:
http://youhavebeenupgraded.blogspot....-shanghai.html
View:
http://youhavebeenupgraded.blogspot....k-hyatt-2.html
Hotel:
http://youhavebeenupgraded.blogspot....hanghai-3.html
Old Apr 27, 2012, 2:30 pm

Programs: UA GS, NH Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist (formerly Courtesy Card sadly), Amanjunkie, CLEAR
Originally Posted by youhavebeenupgraded
Nice shots. I'm staying here in a few weeks. They want what amounts to about $130 extra per night (on top of about $400) to bump me up to "rack rate" so I can use 6K points for the suite upgrade. So that's about $300 bucks plus 6K points for my 2 nights.

Do you think it's worth it? Interested in comments from all...
Old Apr 27, 2012, 2:51 pm

Programs: UA Global Services, AA Lifetime ExecPlat, LH HON Circle, SQ PPS Solitaire, Hyatt Courtesy Card
Originally Posted by ainternational
Nice shots. I'm staying here in a few weeks. They want what amounts to about $130 extra per night (on top of about $400) to bump me up to "rack rate" so I can use 6K points for the suite upgrade. So that's about $300 bucks plus 6K points for my 2 nights.

Do you think it's worth it? Interested in comments from all...
I always do the 6,000 here. Every time. Its one of the best entry level suites system wide. Totally worth it IMO.
Old Apr 27, 2012, 5:47 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by thesilb
I always do the 6,000 here. Every time. Its one of the best entry level suites system wide. Totally worth it IMO.
I completely agree. I would value the 6K points at next to nothing and the $130/night an absolute bargain for the suite you'll get at this property.

This assumes you'll be there enough to for it to matter. If I was just in-and-out for a night stay and not expecting to spend much time in the room, I'd just stay with the basic, as it is very nice, albeit pretty small. But if you're going to be in the room, it's one of the best upgrade values in the entire program.
Old Apr 27, 2012, 10:53 pm

Programs: UA GS, NH Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist (formerly Courtesy Card sadly), Amanjunkie, CLEAR
Originally Posted by AZ Travels the World
I completely agree. I would value the 6K points at next to nothing and the $130/night an absolute bargain for the suite you'll get at this property.

This assumes you'll be there enough to for it to matter. If I was just in-and-out for a night stay and not expecting to spend much time in the room, I'd just stay with the basic, as it is very nice, albeit pretty small. But if you're going to be in the room, it's one of the best upgrade values in the entire program.
Ok, you two convinced me. Just emailed the property and asked them to adjust the reservation. Thanks for the opinions!
Old Jun 2, 2012, 6:41 am

I plan to do a reservation...the room either has "Huangpu River or city views".

As Shanghai & the river are surrounding the hotel, which of the views is better and what can I expect to see? jin mao tower would be cool...

Last edited by fflyer1; Jun 2, 2012 at 6:55 am
Old Jun 2, 2012, 9:53 am

Programs: AA EXP, 2MM, DL Silver, Hyatt Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
River view is "the best".
Old Jun 2, 2012, 12:07 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by MIABarry
River view is "the best".
. . . because it is the view of The Bund, with all of its resorted historic buildings, as well as the Pudong skyline, which includes the neighboring Jin Mao Tower (containing the Grand Hyatt) and the Oriental Pearl Tower.

The 'city' view is a nice view because of how high you are, but is much less interesting.

It is The Bund views that are coveted, which is why the majority of the hotel's public spaces face in that direction.
Old Jun 3, 2012, 6:21 am

ok and whats the difference between river view and the most expensive "bund view" then (which I can not book with the rate I want, but want to know out of curiosity)?

thanks a lot
Old Jun 3, 2012, 10:54 am
Original Poster

It's a matter of what portion of the river you see from your room. The non-Bund river view room won't look over the buildings of the Bund, which are attractive looking when lit up at night, although they don't seem to do that every night.
Old Sep 21, 2012, 9:58 pm

Just at the business center @ PH. Checking out in a few minutes. Really a very cool hotel. We got a very good room with Jin Mao / Oriental Pearl view!

Really enjoyed the stay. Unfortunately it was a bit smoggy yesterday (views were good but not perfect). It started to clear this night, but at 6am everything was covered in fog/rain clouds...so you cant see anything anymore.

Nevertheless it was a great stay and I really enjoyed it. There was some picture posted of Pudong in clouds with just the 3 tower peaks coming out of the clouds, but I cant find it anymore. Can anyone provide me with a link?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.