Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt Melbourne REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Park Hyatt Melbourne REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Old Jan 2, 17, 12:23 pm
  #571  
Hyatt Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Between AMS and BRU
Posts: 8,799
And with a train stop on the corner, none of those things really make a difference in the end.... lots of things to make you decide which of both to stay at, but for most the location wouldn't be the factor some of the reviews make it out to be...
RTW1 is offline  
Old Jan 2, 17, 5:20 pm
  #572  
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Miami, FL
Programs: UA 1MM, AA Gold, Marriott LT Titanium, Hilton ♢, IHG Plat, Hyatt Disc, Radisson Gold, Hertz PC
Posts: 4,599
Originally Posted by Infinite1K View Post
PH is to the east of CBD. So yes, 10 minutes between GH and PH. But 20 minutes between PH and Flinders Street station or NGV, 30 minutes to Victoria Arts Centre, etc.
Exactly. The reason the GH is better is not because it is 10 min away from PH but because it is 10 min closer to where most want to go. Places like Southbank are already 20 min away from the GH. That means 30 min away from PH.

You can have food in seconds outside the GH. There is nothing near the PH and you are required to walk the 10 min.

GH has a better location. It's not insanely better - but it is better.

GH wins:
Suites (size)
Gym
Locale

PH wins:
Breakfast
Club Lounge

Ties:
Internet speed
Pool
TravelinSperry is offline  
Old Jan 2, 17, 5:26 pm
  #573  
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: SYD
Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Posts: 6,923
Originally Posted by TravelinSperry View Post
Exactly. The reason the GH is better is not because it is 10 min away from PH but because it is 10 min closer to where most want to go. Places like Southbank are already 20 min away from the GH. That means 30 min away from PH.

You can have food in seconds outside the GH. There is nothing near the PH and you are required to walk the 10 min.

GH has a better location. It's not insanely better - but it is better.

GH wins:
Suites (size)
Gym
Locale

PH wins:
Breakfast
Club Lounge

Ties:
Internet speed
Pool

There is no way that the pool experiences are tied. The GH is a cement, windowless block with the entire gym watching you. The gym is infinitely better but that's a given because it is a standalone gym within the same building.

The PH pool and wet areas are exceptional.
m0hamed is offline  
Old Jan 3, 17, 12:26 am
  #574  
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Programs: AA EXP, B6 Mosaic, UA 1K/MM, WoH Globalist, HH Diamond
Posts: 303
Originally Posted by RTW1 View Post
And with a train stop on the corner, none of those things really make a difference in the end.... lots of things to make you decide which of both to stay at, but for most the location wouldn't be the factor some of the reviews make it out to be...
You are certainly entitled to your opinion that the location of the PH vs GH is not a factor.

But you can't really disagree with the fact that the GH is more central. It's called Geography and it isn't debatable.
Infinite1K is offline  
Old Jan 3, 17, 12:33 am
  #575  
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Programs: AA EXP, B6 Mosaic, UA 1K/MM, WoH Globalist, HH Diamond
Posts: 303
Originally Posted by m0hamed View Post
There is no way that the pool experiences are tied. The GH is a cement, windowless block with the entire gym watching you. The gym is infinitely better but that's a given because it is a standalone gym within the same building.

The PH pool and wet areas are exceptional.
Pool at GH was closed for maintenance when I was there, but I'll take your word that the PH pool is better.

But yes, the gym at GH is great exactly because it is a regular gym with a wide range of equipment, classes, etc. and not your normal hotel gym.
Infinite1K is offline  
Old Jan 3, 17, 1:25 am
  #576  
Hyatt Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Between AMS and BRU
Posts: 8,799
Originally Posted by Infinite1K View Post
But you can't really disagree with the fact that the GH is more central. It's called Geography and it isn't debatable.
The location is only marginally different, and most reviews claim that it's (a lot) better..... That's what made me decide for the GH without really knowing the actual difference it makes. And it was a decision I regretted.

So some objectivity in reviews is nice. For most leisure stays you will be either walking anyway or you will be taking public transportation. Hardly any difference then in my opinion.
RTW1 is offline  
Old Jan 3, 17, 3:47 am
  #577  
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Miami, FL
Programs: UA 1MM, AA Gold, Marriott LT Titanium, Hilton ♢, IHG Plat, Hyatt Disc, Radisson Gold, Hertz PC
Posts: 4,599
Originally Posted by m0hamed View Post
There is no way that the pool experiences are tied. The GH is a cement, windowless block with the entire gym watching you. The gym is infinitely better but that's a given because it is a standalone gym within the same building.

The PH pool and wet areas are exceptional.
The PH has the same window to the gym and I watched "you" all day while working out in it.

Yes, the PH does have a window to the outside... but the lap pool is surely not "infinitely" better.

Due to the window you can give the edge to the PH - I gave them a tie because to me both suck and I surely wouldn't stay at either hotel expecting a lovely pool to lounge about.

The PH does have a nice lounge area outside in the SPA courtyard however. Sadly it's not connected nor surrounds the pool
TravelinSperry is offline  
Old Jan 3, 17, 3:55 am
  #578  
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHyatt 10+ Badge
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: SYD
Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Posts: 6,923
Originally Posted by TravelinSperry View Post
The PH has the same window to the gym and I watched "you" all day while working out in it.

Yes, the PH does have a window to the outside... but the lap pool is surely not "infinitely" better.

Due to the window you can give the edge to the PH - I gave them a tie because to me both suck and I surely wouldn't stay at either hotel expecting a lovely pool to lounge about.

The PH does have a nice lounge area outside in the SPA courtyard however. Sadly it's not connected nor surrounds the pool
If you compare this

with this

then your opinion in your reviews loses all credibility...
m0hamed is offline  
Old Jan 3, 17, 5:56 am
  #579  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Melbourne
Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Posts: 21,551
Location is a mininimal as a tiebreaker; the tramway "super" stops work far more efficiently for the PH and as mentioned the train is closer by if you need Spencer St or the docklands (I rarely do taxis/uber/etc.).

However I find the PH generally so far exceeds the GH in stays as a diamond in recogition and related value-add that I would not contemplate a GH stay over a PH stay unless the cost is at least $100 more.

The PH is simply a nicer place for us to stay.
serfty is offline  
Old Jul 19, 17, 11:57 pm
  #580  
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Gold Coast AUS
Programs: QF P1, VA Velocity, Etihad P, IHG SPE Amb, Hyatt Glob
Posts: 36
Just stayed one night at PH Melbourne (straight after one night at GH Melbourne to compare) and although I got recognized as a Globalist and upgraded to a Club Spar deluxe (best available room as suites were sold out) I didn't think much of the property. Dated, tired, poorly decorated and embarrassingly wanted to charge me $8 for hot breakfast items I should have got for free as a Globalist (and did at GH the previous morning). Service was very mixed. The lounge was very poorly stocked (especially with hot food items).
A mediocre hotel at best that isn't really worthy of the PH brand.
drpopper is offline  
Old Jul 20, 17, 2:02 am
  #581  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Melbourne
Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Posts: 21,551
Strange - I've never been charged for full breakfast at the PH; yes, the lounge only has the one hot food item in the evenings, but the remainder of the spread is pretty good and varied.

I stay here about 20 nights a year. Service can vary, but that happens at any hotel and my experience at this hotel is that sub par service is rare.
serfty is offline  
Old Jul 20, 17, 3:53 am
  #582  
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHyatt 10+ Badge
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: SYD
Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Posts: 6,923
Originally Posted by drpopper View Post
Just stayed one night at PH Melbourne (straight after one night at GH Melbourne to compare) and although I got recognized as a Globalist and upgraded to a Club Spar deluxe (best available room as suites were sold out) I didn't think much of the property. Dated, tired, poorly decorated and embarrassingly wanted to charge me $8 for hot breakfast items I should have got for free as a Globalist (and did at GH the previous morning). Service was very mixed. The lounge was very poorly stocked (especially with hot food items).
A mediocre hotel at best that isn't really worthy of the PH brand.
Sorry, but there is no comparison between the GH and PH. No it is not modern but it is about understated luxury. And the club lounge food is vastly superior.

Poorly decorated? There's over $1million worth of art in the hotel.

The $8 upcharge is bs and I have questioned it with Hyatt and they said the property can indeed charge it for a la carte items. The GH used to charge $22 for breakfast in the restaurant.
m0hamed is offline  
Old Jul 20, 17, 8:10 am
  #583  
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 772
Weird. I was there in 2016, and I wasn't charged for hot breakfast. Did the server tell you this? Were you able to bring this up at check out to find out the official policy?

I​​​​​ thought the lounge was pretty good. The hotel is dated, and the service isn't up to PH standards, but I enjoyed my stay.
cruisingmickey is offline  
Old Jul 20, 17, 8:31 pm
  #584  
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Gold Coast AUS
Programs: QF P1, VA Velocity, Etihad P, IHG SPE Amb, Hyatt Glob
Posts: 36
Originally Posted by cruisingmickey View Post
Weird. I was there in 2016, and I wasn't charged for hot breakfast. Did the server tell you this? Were you able to bring this up at check out to find out the official policy?

I​​​​​ thought the lounge was pretty good. The hotel is dated, and the service isn't up to PH standards, but I enjoyed my stay.
No actually the manager told me when I was checking in ... it was bizzare
drpopper is offline  
Old Jul 20, 17, 8:42 pm
  #585  
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 772
Very bizarre indeed. I wonder what changed. And $8? Such an odd amount to charge.
It's not even much so why even bother to have that charge? It's not like they do this to earn money. The breakfast wasn't even good to be honest. The service was pretty bad.

Do you think the $8 charge are for the people that booked rooms with club/lounge access that are not Globalists? So if they want to eat in downstairs, they have the option of paying $8? And for Globalists, the $8 shouldn't be charged? Maybe there is some type of miscommunication on who should get charged? I see on the hyatt site that anyone can book a room with club access.
cruisingmickey is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: