Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Palm Springs - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Palm Springs - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2022, 6:53 pm
formerly a193991
Hyatt 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist; LX SEN (*A Gold), AA LTG, SBB-CFF-FFS First Class GA
Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound
The current reviews on TripAdvisor and Yelp are simply shocking how bad they are
I’m thinking of going Hilton & Kimpton
Breakfast isn’t enough to sway me as the photos speak for themselves
I assume the pandemic and loss of business has taken its toll as it has on many properties
In NYC almost a third of the properties are in financial default as a result
agree, we just walked by today again. We‘d have preferred to stay in PSP, but are now at the HRIW. Will be back in June and we‘ll stay at the Talavera. No way we‘ll stay at this hotel anymore and longing for the Thompson. This is no way Hyatt standard.
I still presume the Hyatt will close for renovations once the Thompson is open.
TravelinSperry likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2022, 6:55 pm

Saddens me that those excellent servers didn’t return. I sure didn’t see them in early November so figured as much. Yes, this is hands down the most poorly maintained Hyatt I’ve stayed at replete with bathroom doors that don’t close, old plumbing, sketchy a/c & wifi etc but it was always the people that justified staying there.
TravelinSperry likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2022, 7:13 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

The.Servers took great care of us and their service and spirit will
be missed.Hope they are all well
I was there trying out their new renovation years ago and was proud to be the first guests to occupy the
new prototype room and loved it
You wonder how much is upkeep and how much wear and tear guests do staining furniture carpets etc
and damaging rooms
Lastly rates are still sky high for in season so someone appears to freely be milking the cow
despite current property condition and upkeep 😮😱
Old Jan 3, 2022, 9:52 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond Hilton Gold
Alfredo one of the longtime Hyatt PS breakfast servers works evenings at Elmer's in Palm Springs. He's been there for years. Ask for his section and tell him you remember him from the Hyatt. Elmer's is well known with locals for their breakfast but we go there often for dinner as well. Their Friday night Prime Rib special is outstanding and you can order breakfast at all hours.

Hyatt PS still needs a renovation. I can put up with some things but the beds are horrible. Mattresses are nowhere close to the Hyatt standard and need to be replaced.
TravisMT81 likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2022, 11:17 pm

Thanks for the great tip i will definitely do Elmers at some point 👍Prime Rib is a dying dish
Most restaurants have taken it off their menus. I like it once every other month to switch things up
Seems incredibly popular for breakfast I could barely find dinner pics online in social media
I never had a bed problem years ago with the mattress unless they are just worse for wear now?
The beds they had in the 90s were far worse!
Old Jan 5, 2022, 2:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, National EE
We did a stay at this Hyatt in early 2021, as well as a stay at the Kimpton Rowan nearby. The Kimpton is cleaner, more comfortable, has nicer public spaces, good dining, a cool roof deck, a slightly better location, and is definitely my preference. Two pluses I can think of about the Hyatt is larger rooms ($99 for a king suite!) and convenient garaged self-parking if you don't like valet or uncovered parking.

We had Elmer's for brunch and I was not impressed at all by the dutch baby et al.
SanDiego1K likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2022, 11:39 am

Does anyone have the email address for the manager of this hotel (return address from a welcome email would be ideal)? I have an upcoming stay and I would like to reach out to them proactively.

Last edited by downinit; Mar 20, 2022 at 11:58 am Reason: Nevermind: I was able to have my husband change it on the phone
Old Apr 13, 2022, 6:57 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist
Not As Bad As I Anticipated

Yes, the place is old and in dire need of updating. Even the reviews on Hyatt's own website are 95% 1*. But I needed a place to sleep for one night and had a category 1-4 cert expiring in a few weeks. I wasn't going to pay over $700/nt room rate to sleep at Indian Wells (this was Easter week). The downtown location is super. So upon arrival told I was upgraded to a King suite mountain view; I think the paid rate for a standard room on this Wednesday night was close to $300. The room was a true suite with a living room, bathroom in the middle, and then bedroom with door. Balcony with a couple of chairs and table had a nice view of the mountains and golf course below. Refrigerator. The room was quiet! The bed was very comfortable. The upholstery on the furniture seemed fairly new. The dark striped carpet looked fairly new, but clearly whoever vacuumed must have been wearing a blindfold. Debris right down the middle all over (wear flipflops). The finish of the bathtub was peeling in huge pieces--one would never take a bath in that. I put the bath mat down for a shower. The heavy drapes looked like such an old style but they were in ok shape; ditto the marble in the bathroom (looking very old). The entire suite is dark, window in the living room opens to the indoor corridor so you have to keep the drapes closed.

Because it was Easter week, the pool area consisted mainly of families with young children. The pool looked nice--fairly large and it looked clean--but loud music. There's pool food service until about 4 p.m. No food in the restaurant or drinks at the bar after that time Plenty of dinner and drinking options in Palm Springs that are an easy walk from the hotel. However, a full breakfast menu is served in the morning, white table cloth and cloth napkins. My veggie omelet with roasted potatoes and toast ($14) was far better than the breakfast I had at Indian Wells six weeks ago. Park the car yourself in the hotel garage via the back entrance. Luggage is do-it-yourself. Breakfast and resort fee taken off for Globalist. My bill was zero since I used the free night.

Per front desk agent at checkout, there's a new GM. At the end of this year they will start a total refurbishment which will take at least a year, perhaps two. He said, "It will be nicer than the Kimpton Rowan." One can only hope, I like the Kimpton! Hopefully they do something about those hallway windows and the darkness of the rooms. I mentioned something about the pending Andaz, and he corrected me and said Thompson. Well, the Hyatt website says Andaz, so I don't know.

Am I recommending this place? No not really, unless you get a very low rate. However, another carrot was this makes brand #15 for me. Plus this free night counted on my continuing quest with the current bonus promo, which ends soon. Initially I booked two nights here, but changed the second one to Hyatt's new Desert Oasis (aka Lawrence Welk timeshare resort) in Cathedral City. Will post a review on that one later.
River in Sight and ralphs like this.
Old May 4, 2022, 10:33 pm

Programs: AA 2MM - UA 1P / Hyatt Diamond - SPG Plat / Hertz 5* - Avis 1st
Originally Posted by Steph58
...Initially I booked two nights here, but changed the second one to Hyatt's new Desert Oasis (aka Lawrence Welk timeshare resort) in Cathedral City. Will post a review on that one later.
I was looking for information on the Desert Oasis that just popped up on the Hyatt site recently, and your reference to the "Lawrence Welk timeshare resort" made me laugh very much.

Please post your review on the Desert Oasis!
Old May 5, 2022, 7:35 am

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist, Marriot LT Titanium, UA 2.4MM, HH Gold, AS MVPG
We stay at this property a lot. Love/hate relationship. Location is great and usually manage to get some deal or use points as PS rates can be outrageous on event weekends.

On recent trip chatted with new director of operations and he said renovations are in the plans. Not much more info than that. They brought him in from Atlanta as they realize the hotel needs help.

Specifically asked about housekeeping and he admitted they can no longer use COVID as an excuse. It should be returning to daily “soon”.
Old May 5, 2022, 9:16 am
formerly a193991
Hyatt 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist; LX SEN (*A Gold), AA LTG, SBB-CFF-FFS First Class GA
Originally Posted by SF1K
On recent trip chatted with new director of operations and he said renovations are in the plans. Not much more info than that. They brought him in from Atlanta as they realize the hotel needs help.

Originally Posted by 59Impala
but the rooms desperately need a refresh. worn out carpets, sofa and chairs with stains. bedding/matress too soft. Room generally looks a bit filthy. I can imagine that Hyatt is waiting for the Andaz to open first... so to at least have 1operating hotel in PS before remodeling... or maybe even torn down and rebuilt?

quoting myself from Nov 2019, still believe they will await the opening of the now Thompson. But doubt it will be open by mid 2023 the earliest.
Old May 5, 2022, 4:50 pm

Originally Posted by 59Impala

quoting myself from Nov 2019, still believe they will await the opening of the now Thompson. But doubt it will be open by mid 2023 the earliest.
Andaz Palm Springs Coming soon
I like soft beds so to each their own All subjective but the rest absolutely its time for the refresh
Old May 7, 2022, 11:46 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound
Andaz Palm Springs Coming soon
I’m at the Hyatt now; was last in PS 13 months ago and as expected, when I drove in I could barely tell any difference with the construction site compared to a year ago. (With all the starts and stops I’ve also lost track of what the current situation is with the developer.)
Old May 9, 2022, 7:34 pm

Originally Posted by dw
I’m at the Hyatt now; was last in PS 13 months ago and as expected, when I drove in I could barely tell any difference with the construction site compared to a year ago. (With all the starts and stops I’ve also lost track of what the current situation is with the developer.)
it’s been great for the Kimpton property down the block with a poorly run down Hyatt Regency and the Andaz Thompson not opening due likely to financial problems.The Rowan has captured the high end customer and been getting a premium on rates and redemption
SanDiego1K and 59Impala like this.
Old May 31, 2022, 10:46 am

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, World of Hyatt Globalist, plain "member" of Marriott, IHG, enterprise, etc.
Stayed here recently,

Yeah, the hotel, top-down, needs some renovation. Furniture and flooring is just so worn down. And, the rooms are quite dark. If 'new' or 'newly renovated' is high on your priority, list, it's best to avoid.

But, my room was clean, housekeeping-service was something I scheduled and they did come when I asked. TV, AC, and all the room fixtures worked. The staff was great. I was there a week and had excellent service and interactions with everyone. The breakfast at the restaurant was very good, and the location was terrific. The bars across the street were loud, but with my noise maker (I always travel with) and the balcony doors closed I couldn't hear them at all so the sound-proofing in the room was pretty decent. Their F/B offerings are still very limited. The restaurant doesn't really have food in the evenings and the bar closed at 8PM during the week (and had some live music a few times), but lots of good options in the area for food. All around, I had a pretty good stay.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.