Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Palm Springs - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Palm Springs - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2021, 1:11 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, National EE
I'm here now. Upgraded to a pool view king as Explorist proactively on the app. Room is relatively clean. Yes, the furniture is kind of saggy and tired, but my experience here is better than I feared after reading some of the posts above. The price was amazing. The location is ideal (last time we stayed at the other Hyatt in Indian Wells, and we wanted to be closer to Palm Springs downtown this time). The suite is huge. The nearby Andaz is still nowhere close to being completed. Self-parking, $18

We'll be moving to the Kimpton Rowan a block away for a night there after this one. Kimpton was our first choice since I wanted a good way to burn my expiring IHG free night cert, but they could only do that on Sunday, so here we are at the Hyatt first.
gadberry likes this.
Old Apr 12, 2021, 9:40 pm

Programs: Yes.
We are going with our kids this weekend. Two questions for you Hyatt veterans- are there any connected rooms at pool level? And would they give us pool access at the other Hyatt for a day?

thanks!!
Old Apr 13, 2021, 12:01 pm

Programs: Various
Originally Posted by econjon
We are going with our kids this weekend. Two questions for you Hyatt veterans- are there any connected rooms at pool level? And would they give us pool access at the other Hyatt for a day?

thanks!!
I rarely get rooms on the ground level and there are less than a dozen poolside ground level rooms. It’s doubtful if any are connecting rooms and this is in the style of the old Embassy Suites with thick walls between rooms but narrow long configuration rooms otherwise. Call the location directly during the day and I’m sure they can address your questions. There is a new Management franchise running this location as of 3 years ago. Some improvements, but much of the antiquated elevators and fixtures nobody will invest in updating. Certain ares of the property are wide and spacious. The rooms are mostly NOT THIS.
econjon likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2021, 9:38 pm

Programs: Yes.
Just got back from a great trip!!! We were able to upgrade to connecting rooms facing the pool. That makes a world of difference as the street noise is pretty loud. The property is as described here but oddly charming to us. I really
liked the suites layout.
Old May 15, 2021, 3:36 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt Globalist, MLife/Cosmo Identity Gold, Other Vegas too...
Has anyone stayed at the Cabana Suite? Two separate living areas with a sofa bed is ideal for my stay tomorrow and Monday, but wouldn't mind saying no to the possible upgrade as long as it still has the two areas for two different sleeping persons. But I'd prefer to refuse it if it does not... Thanks in advance!
Old Aug 16, 2021, 8:53 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
I stayed here over the weekend. Possibly the worst Hyatt in the portfolio. Everything about the hotel is dated, shabby and just "feels" dirty, even if it isn't, exactly. You walk around the property, and the immediate impression is that nothing is being maintained. Piles of dead bugs in outdoor light fixtures. Green algae on water features. Cracking/broken concrete around the pool deck. Stained/torn canvas on shade structures. Abandoned service areas. Homeless in and around the property at all hours. Burned out lightbulbs. You get the idea.

It has a fantastic location and good "bones", but management is totally mailing it in. Nice people working there who empathized with me when I complained to the front desk about homeless people sleeping on patio furniture outside of the unoccupied room next to mine. Then, when I returned to the room to lock up for the evening, I noticed the swing bar on my (exterior, ground level, facing the street) room door had been broken off. Great.

It felt like a stagnant, off-brand, deflagged property. No chance of me returning unless it is fully renovated and under new management.
TravelinSperry likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2021, 9:07 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Very sad to hear.Hopefully the property can be turned around in time
I have great memories of the property staying over the decades.
Obviously they need some refreshing I’m pretty sure there may be worse in the Hyatt portfolio.
Ownership tried years ago to improve the property vastly and they did at one point only to drop
the ball over time
How was the restaurant for breakfast if you dined there?
Old Aug 16, 2021, 9:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by EWR764
Nice people working there who empathized with me when I complained to the front desk about homeless people sleeping on patio furniture outside of the unoccupied room next to mine.
Wow that is exceptionally bad. How can they allow that to happen? It's a huge security risk.
Old Aug 16, 2021, 10:11 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound
Very sad to hear.Hopefully the property can be turned around in time
I have great memories of the property staying over the decades.
Obviously they need some refreshing I’m pretty sure there may be worse in the Hyatt portfolio.
Ownership tried years ago to improve the property vastly and they did at one point only to drop
the ball over time
How was the restaurant for breakfast if you dined there?
Yes, I can see how this would have been a great place to stay in a different time. It needs some TLC now.

The location is fantastic, and I have to believe there's a premium segment that would value such ease of access to downtown, with lots of bars, restaurants, shopping and culture within short walking distance. This property could readily capture it with some investment and a more rigorous maintenance program.

It's not for a lack of trying on the part of the staff... the people I encountered were uniformly courteous and cheerful.

I skipped breakfast but the current benefit for Globalists is a selection from a relatively limited menu of hot breakfast foods served at the bar adjacent to the lobby, the only F&B outlet on the property presently open.

Originally Posted by Kacee
Wow that is exceptionally bad. How can they allow that to happen? It's a huge security risk.
It was pretty shocking. I was sitting on the patio (cabana suite) and I heard some rustling, and a fairly unkempt gentleman emerged from the lounge chair on the patio of the suite next door, holding a plastic fifth of gas station whiskey. I had a brief interaction with him (he was non-threatening) and asked if it was his room, to which he responded, "uhh, yeah, yeah this is. Well it's my friend's." I asked him what room number it was, and he walked away.

There appeared to be a security guard walking the property overnight, but the cabana suites have canvas front walls that snap closed, so it's not hard to conceal oneself. The pool has at least 2 one-way exits to the street, but access to the hotel is pretty easy otherwise.
Old Aug 16, 2021, 8:20 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond Hilton Gold
I've had several stays here the past few months. My experience is not typical of most guests. I have a long history with this property and always have a corporate rate, a presidential suite and other perks each stay. As others have said the property is long overdue for renovation. They seem to get a new management company every few years. Nothing is going to change unless ownership finally decides to listen to them and spend some money or Hyatt corporate forces them to renovate. Having the Andaz (now Thompson) property up the street remain unfinished has given them a free pass for years.

The best thing about this property is the location and the underground parking out of the heat. Yes the staff here is great - they do what they can with many issues to deal with. The chef who handles food and beverage is doing a wonderful job with what she has to work with and the City of Palm Springs strict Covid procedures. They are serving food in the bar. All orders come in to go containers and are bagged so you can take them back to your room or eat there. It is a limited menu but the omelets, french toast and other items I've had are much better than many other full service Hyatts I've stayed at since Covid. The new bartending staff also shows lots of potential. They are friendly and can make some excellent hand crafted cocktails.
ralphs likes this.
Old Aug 26, 2021, 9:09 pm

Originally Posted by mitch1
I've had several stays here the past few months. My experience is not typical of most guests. I have a long history with this property and always have a corporate rate, a presidential suite and other perks each stay. As others have said the property is long overdue for renovation. They seem to get a new management company every few years. Nothing is going to change unless ownership finally decides to listen to them and spend some money or Hyatt corporate forces them to renovate. Having the Andaz (now Thompson) property up the street remain unfinished has given them a free pass for years.

The best thing about this property is the location and the underground parking out of the heat. Yes the staff here is great - they do what they can with many issues to deal with. The chef who handles food and beverage is doing a wonderful job with what she has to work with and the City of Palm Springs strict Covid procedures. They are serving food in the bar. All orders come in to go containers and are bagged so you can take them back to your room or eat there. It is a limited menu but the omelets, french toast and other items I've had are much better than many other full service Hyatts I've stayed at since Covid. The new bartending staff also shows lots of potential. They are friendly and can make some excellent hand crafted cocktails.
Old Aug 26, 2021, 9:10 pm

Just got back from a week here. It's still way overdue for a renovation but I can work in my suite, my car is safe and cool underground and it's close to restaurants and bars for dinner. The good news is that the full breakfast menu is back and they are now serving inside with real glassware, plates and silverware. Globalist breakfast covered everything except the tip each morning. I've said before that the chef here does a great job but having a full menu & not having to package everything to go makes a huge difference. There are still some service issues due to staffing but I was very happy to have breakfast back to normal. The crab Benedict was excellent, as was the thick avocado toast and the seasonal french toast with peaches! I also liked the seasoned potatoes with sweet potato and spice mixed in. Hopefully the weekend buffet and omelet station return next.
dpb132 likes this.

Last edited by mitch1; Aug 26, 2021 at 9:24 pm
Old Aug 27, 2021, 8:34 am

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hertz Gold
Are the regular servers still there or have they moved on? I am bad with name, but we always use to have the same guy.
Old Aug 28, 2021, 2:08 am

The regular servers from the pre Covid days are not there anymore. Alfredo, Roberto & Guillermo worked breakfast for years but didn't return when the hotel reopened last summer.
Old Jan 3, 2022, 6:39 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

The current reviews on TripAdvisor and Yelp are simply shocking how bad they are
I’m thinking of going Hilton & Kimpton
Breakfast isn’t enough to sway me as the photos speak for themselves
I assume the pandemic and loss of business has taken its toll as it has on many properties
In NYC almost a third of the properties are in financial default as a result

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.