Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Palm Springs - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2003, 3:59 pm
Original Poster

Just returned from a weekend at the Palm Springs Regency. While the location was excellent for attending the film festival, this was definitely the worst Hyatt I have encountered, especially given the high rates. While we were generously upgraded to an executive suite, it felt like walking back in time into Jack Tripper's apartment from "Three's Company." Most amusing, and revealing, was the sound system featured not a CD player but an actual tape deck! So make sure you bring some cassettes if you stay here. It didn't look like any fixtures had been replaced in the last 20 years. And considering the size of the suite (over 1,000 square feet), there was only the tiniest amount of natural light due to the poor design of the hotel in general. Considering how sunny Palm Springs is, that's quite an accomplishment! The film festival is great, but I learned my lesson and will definitely stay at Indian Wells next year. I'm sure it will be worth the 30 minute drive.
Old Jan 25, 2003, 9:55 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond+, Alaska Airlines MVP, Priority Club Platinum
The last (and only) time I complained about a property on Hyatt.com the hotel got in trouble so this time I just filled out a comment card for the general manager at Palm Springs. This was not just some bad experience it was overall disappointment and negative feelings about the direction the hotel is going. Something needs to be done by immediately by management or risk losing repeat customers. Of course the hotel has not contacted me either so maybe they just really don't care...well its their loss and there are other Hyatt properties in the Palm Springs area.
Old Sep 6, 2007, 12:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
Originally Posted by jan_az
Anthing more recent on this prperty?
They have been very good for me there with the upgrades. As a matter of fact I am there for three nights (separates stays) next week. Looking forward for the presidential or any of the number 10 ending suites again.

The hotel is old and not the most modern Hyatt around.
Old Sep 6, 2007, 2:14 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Hyatt Regency Suites another opinion added

Sorry to hear about your stay but it is business as usual at the Hyatt Regency Palm Springs Suites.So what is the real deal?
The property is in dire need of a renovation. Starting with the hard Salvation Army beds with the scratchy linens and unattractive comforters and pillows that match the quality of the rest of the linen ensemble.

The prices are absurd at this property based on the overall condition of the property. The food is somewhat poor and you can not get a copy of the New York Times or Wall Street Journal anywhere in the hotel including the lobby gift shop. The did tell me to go and find one at the Rite Aid drug store if I was interested enough to drive there

After tiring of using points at this property I stayed recently instead at the Hilton Resort a few blocks away which has outstanding beds in comparison.
The rate at the Hyatt was over 300 dollars a night while the Hilton was @149.00 .It was a no brainer.The prices are silly at the Hyatt and frequently local resorts and new upscale boutique properties charge less

The Hyatt Suites valet parking team quits after a certain hour(midnite?) so leave the keys at the front desk when you come back to park your car if no one is there.
You are always self parking anyway and the front of the house is not friendly either so you might as well self park if you stay there........I know longer use valet if I stay

The service at this property runs from professional /friendly to non existent and unfriendly. There is a computer in the lobby that you can swipe your credit card in to use and pay by the minute.
There is one thing always consistent at the Hyatt Regency Suites high prices

The one single outstanding attraction to this property was the former GP Diamond custom in house benefit of a full American breakfast in their restaurant or complimentary in room service. However that was cut over the past 12 months.I admit to still using the HR PS property based only on location and redemption opportunity.For revenue I use over a dozen other area choices with fair market pricing and better amenities across the board all offered with or without elite status.

Last edited by 777 global mile hound; Sep 7, 2007 at 6:36 pm
Old Sep 9, 2007, 9:54 pm

Programs: UA1k;HH Gold;MR Gold
It is no better

Just spent 3 nights there, as the Hilton was $150 and I got the Hyatt for $103 including breakfast.

Beds - awful- I was shocked they were not the Hyatt equivent of the Heavenly Bed. It was hard as a rock

Room - layout worked for us ( we had my aughter with us for part of the stay). But no microwave.

Service- absolutely awful. We needed to rent a car for part of the stay. I went to the front cesk and asked where there was a place. They told me at the airport and there was a shuttle. Fair enough. I ask if I need reservations and am told to come down when I want to go.

Come down about 2:40 and am told it only goes on the hour and half hour. Fair enough. But - I cant go till 3:30 as I need resrevations 30 minutes before. So the guy who drives the shuttle, about 5 other bell people and the shuttle just sat there till 3:30 . At 3:29 he comes to us and says are you ready to go to the airport now?

Breakfast food was good - I fiured I got about $45 a day ( at their prices) in the food.

WE had a great weekend but I would not stay there again
Old Sep 11, 2007, 7:03 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador
I concur

I stayed there last April. Nothing was horrible, but nothing was great, and certainly did not justify the price. It was just a bunch of little things. The beds were poor, the breakfast was limited, the room not ready on time, etc.

I'd stay at the Courtyard or Hilton before I go there again.
Old Mar 11, 2008, 4:16 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy, HH Diamond, AA EXP, VS Gold, BAEC Silver, Global Entry, UK RT
Location can't be beat though

I stay at this property about 7 times a year on average. Service can be hit or miss with this property. My last stay there was last month and I found the service to be above average in comparison to the stay before where the service was absolutely awful. I do tend to agree with the other posters that the hotel needs some renovating. The thing I do love the most about this property is the location! You are right in the heart of downtown and the best bars and restaurants are all walking distance. The location is probably the main reason I keep coming back to this property. For all other cities, by far I prefer Starwood properties.

I find the suites to be average as well as the beds. I do love the pool area though the gym tends to be a bit on the small side. The lobby bar, Bar Blue is a great place for cocktails and appetizers. The food is decent but as I mentioned before, you are walking distance to some really great bars and restaurants.

My trips to Palm Springs are always for play and fun so this property is good for that. I prefer the Starwood properties for all other travel. My next trip back to Palm Springs and this property is in May.
Old May 28, 2008, 11:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
I have stayed at this property 10 to 20 times a year for the past few years and come to know the FD personnel quite well.

The property has been sold after being on the market for quite some time. The new owner will own the property from 1st of June. It will go through some $20 million renovations and they hope to have everything ready when the high season kicks in. Knowing how long hotel renovations take time I think that this is way too optimistic schedule.

Anyway the hotel continues to be under the Hyatt flag but it will no longer be manager by Hyatt. Most of the FD employees are transferring to other Hyatt managed properties to keep their benefits (and gone on 31st of this month).

Last edited by holtju2; May 29, 2008 at 2:02 pm
Old Jun 20, 2008, 6:04 pm
trd

Programs: DL Platinum; Hyatt Diamond
I was there last night @$78! As a diamond I was upgraded to one of the "10" rooms, which was gigantic and nicely apointed -- but no flat screens. The "over" pillows and "spread" were certainly of 70's era design, but the bedding, pillows and matress were fine. Service was VERY friendly and helpful -- I had some trouble printing my boarding pass and several staffers worked on getting it fixed. Breakfast was the AAA freebie, which was fine, but they won't let me use the coupon for Eggs Benedict -- only for "regular" eggs, sausage, hashbrowns and toast. The breakfast menu looked the same as nearly every other regular Hyatt. Great location . . . and I didn't have to pay the dreaded "resort fee" that Grand Champions was adding on ($18!). I would have no problem staying there again.
Old Jul 3, 2009, 7:50 pm

Programs: UA2mm,HGPdiamond, AAExPlat, MarriottGold
Hyatt Suites Summer Bargain

I'm a local and a Diamond member. I often stay at the Hyatt suites in the summer for serveral reason: Low, low rates (currently $66.75), use their AC and not mine; and the promotional points!

Thank goodness for the renovation - I've been coming here since it was the Maxim's Suites prior to Hyatt taking over (that's a good 30 years) AND THE ROOMS HAVE NOT BEEN UPGRADED/RENOVATED!

So, now during the renovation they are offering one additional benefit: free wifii, continental breakfast, or 2000 bonus points! As a Diamond I already get the free wifi and the full american Breakfast (Note: order poached eggs, ham, english muffins and a side of hollandaise and you can make your own eggs benedict), so I opt for the 2000 bonus pts*

Value: 1 stay/1 night credit $66.75

1W 1000 BP
G2 2000 BP
* 2000 BP
MC 2500 BP
TOTAL 7500 BP plus room and diamond 25% bouns and you get almost 8000 points for $66.75!!!! Not bad!

Also, for those not diamond, do the AAA at $75.75 and get free self park and full breakfast and THEN you can opt for the 2000 additional BP too!

Looking forward to the new look and feel!
Old Jul 6, 2009, 4:12 pm

Programs: UA2mm,HGPdiamond, AAExPlat, MarriottGold
Originally Posted by gregorygrady
Wow, that sounds great. How exactly do you get the 2k bonus pts (or the choice of other amenity)? Is it at checkin?

If so, you're saying you can basically get ~9k pts for a $66 + tax rate if you pay with your MC? That's a pretty smoking deal!!!!!! As good as FFN IMHO!!! Too bad I'm not near Palm Springs.
Yes, at check-in your are given the choice. Additionally, they have a drawing for all who check-in during the renovation for an additional 25,000 points!
Old Jul 6, 2009, 4:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-PLT Pro 1.9 MM, Hyatt-Explorer, Marriott-Gold, Super 8--Formica
One thing to note at this hotel, if you don't book the prepaid rate, is that it has 72 hour cancellation period rather than 24 hours.

I just picked up one of the $75 packages (with parking) on an upcoming Saturday -- it looks like I might use Hyatt's A/C rather than my own!
Old Jul 7, 2009, 10:41 am

More info on details

Hey everyone,

here is some more info on the renovation and the offer:

http://palmsprings.hyatt.com/hyatt/h...ewsId=22462583

Last edited by HyattPSRevManager; Jul 21, 2009 at 6:07 pm
Old Jul 7, 2009, 10:42 am

More info

Here is some more info on the offer and renovation:

http://palmsprings.hyatt.com/hyatt/h...ewsId=22462583

Last edited by HyattPSRevManager; Jul 21, 2009 at 6:07 pm
Old Jul 7, 2009, 9:01 pm

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
Originally Posted by PSGlenn
Yes, at check-in your are given the choice. Additionally, they have a drawing for all who check-in during the renovation for an additional 25,000 points!
Interesting that they only accept your "entry" for the 25,000 Hyatt points at checkout. Apparently, they want you to actually sleep in the room or come back in the morning.

And, at 109 degrees today, they won't let you dip into the fountains out front, but will shuttle you to the Hilton, 2 blocks away, to use their pool. Grand Champions was another alternative offered for use of their pool.

1W+G2+2500 MC+2000 renovation bonus (they said it is separately "emailed" to GP so won't show on the folio statement) and 6.5 points per dollar, comes to 7934 total, so close to half a free night at top category.

Last edited by rbAA; Jul 7, 2009 at 9:07 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.