Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency London the Churchill REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Regency London the Churchill REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2013, 11:10 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Same problem this morning, only this time they told me the reason was that the hotel was too empty to serve breakfast on both sides. As I practically had to fight people for a table, I was not a happy camper. I spoke to a few club staff about the problem but all they said was they would "re-evaluate" for tomorrow.

I think offering a few people vouchers for downstairs would have been an excellent way to deal with the problem, one which would not have cost the hotel very much and been a genuine win-win. Maybe if it happens again, that's what I'll ask for.

Edited to add: Had a discussion with staff and the consensus is that if the room really is full, it's worth taking the initiative to ask for breakfast downstairs if it isn't offered as an option, they say they'll probably just do it in that case. Not necessary for me this morning, plenty of room.

Last edited by RichardInSF; Feb 9, 2013 at 11:37 am
Old Feb 9, 2013, 11:33 am

i´m going to have a stay there in april using one of my suite upgrades... I´m really looking see the improvements
Old Feb 9, 2013, 12:01 pm

Programs: UA Global Services 3MM, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist
Hyatt Churchill London REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Last time I was there both sides were open. Am here in London now but at Hilton on Park Lane for a change. Nice lounge here...
Old Feb 9, 2013, 12:11 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

I believe the hotel is within its right to operate or turn guests away from either lounge at any time and for any reason they choose and as they see fit
However if they are creating an overcrowding of the facility then by all means I suggest any guest request a breakfast coupon
from the appropriate team member or management associate
The hotel has always been first class in response when it comes to guest satisfaction and I expect nothing less from these folks

In the past the hotel insisted that some guests dine in the restaurant when the lounge was at capacity.
It's a two way street if the hotel has reached the point of over capacity and unable to deliver a reasonable experience/standard of service and comfort
Old Feb 9, 2013, 12:40 pm

Programs: SQ TPP, BA Gold, Hyatt Life Glob, SPG/Marriott Life Plat,
Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound
I believe the hotel is within its right to operate or turn guests away from either lounge at any time and for any reason they choose and as they see fit
Absolute nonsense. This is the Hyatt Churchill we are talking about here, not a back street Ibis, and they way they are telling a stream of lies to regular guests to enable them to cut costs by closing one of their two lounges does what is normally a fabulous (and far from cheap) hotel a great disservice and is not what you expect. Remember the reason they opened the second section in the first place was to alleviate the over crowding problem, which has also been there at evening drinks as well as breakfast. Maybe they think sending club floor guests to The Montagu for Breakfast and The Churchill for complimentary drinks is cheaper than actually opening the other half of the lounge...

With the greatest respect to you mate, if you took those Hyatt Goggles off every now and again you may get the opportunity to see how things really are.
Old Feb 9, 2013, 2:24 pm

Originally Posted by MAN Flyer
Absolute nonsense. This is the Hyatt Churchill we are talking about here, not a back street Ibis, and they way they are telling a stream of lies to regular guests to enable them to cut costs by closing one of their two lounges does what is normally a fabulous (and far from cheap) hotel a great disservice and is not what you expect. Remember the reason they opened the second section in the first place was to alleviate the over crowding problem, which has also been there at evening drinks as well as breakfast. Maybe they think sending club floor guests to The Montagu for Breakfast and The Churchill for complimentary drinks is cheaper than actually opening the other half of the lounge...

With the greatest respect to you mate, if you took those Hyatt Goggles off every now and again you may get the opportunity to see how things really are.
Likewise in return from one that has high expectations of any hotel
No Hyatt goggles here
Besides I get no respect any more or less if I do wear those goggles
Appreciate the thoughts
Make no mistake I consider the guest and service standard king.
For starters here not that it really matters there is a far greater cost to serving the breakfast downstairs for the hotel with sit down service.
I didn't hear of anyone being barred from the single operating lounge open to guests.
Let us not forget that at one time and for years all there was only one lounge and we somehow all survived the guest experience reasonably well.
During that time Diamond guests complained when they weren't allowed at all when the hotel felt they were at capacity which operating hotels had the right to do
A policy I clearly was not a fan of.
Now the hotel opens two operating lounges and there are still complaints went both arent fully open.
Certainly if this is a pattern and at reasonably high occupancy it would be disturbing for those that want the luxury of some space and relaxation in the lounge.
Especially for a hotel that commands a premium to stay in

I am there next week and if the situation is the same have no problem and no shame to simply ask for a breakfast coupon happily and help myself to a bottle water or other when I feel the desire from the lounge.
On the other hand if it really is that upsetting to anyone and the hotel is really hurting the guest experience for any guest its is of importance to be vocal not only to the typically caring accessible management at the hotel but to Hyatt Consumer Affairs as well so it can be on record.
I will be there next weekend and report my own experience and how I fared and or handled the situation good or bad.
Cheers

Last edited by 777 global mile hound; Feb 10, 2013 at 10:03 am
Old Feb 9, 2013, 8:21 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, UA
It sound like the Churchill is aiming to cut some of their costs for the lounge. First they eliminate eggs to order, and now they are closing off half the lounge when they judge, either accurately or inaccurately, that capacity does not justify both parts being open (and worse, some staff are lying about the reason for the closure; maybe they're embarrassed to state clearly that it is a cost-cutting measure).

It is easy to take such cost-cutting measures too far. While I would have no problems with being offered breakfast in the restaurant and drinks in the bar as an upgrade for Diamond, if I were paying for lounge access (or entitled to it for staying in a suite, even if it was with a suite upgrade cert), I might not be too pleased.

I hope that some with access to management (hint to Richard and 777) will take the opportunity to proactively express concerns if it seems like these cost-cutting measures are negatively impacting service.
Old Feb 9, 2013, 9:32 pm

Originally Posted by OsakaWino
It sound like the Churchill is aiming to cut some of their costs for the lounge. First they eliminate eggs to order, and now they are closing off half the lounge when they judge, either accurately or inaccurately, that capacity does not justify both parts being open (and worse, some staff are lying about the reason for the closure; maybe they're embarrassed to state clearly that it is a cost-cutting measure).

It is easy to take such cost-cutting measures too far. While I would have no problems with being offered breakfast in the restaurant and drinks in the bar as an upgrade for Diamond, if I were paying for lounge access (or entitled to it for staying in a suite, even if it was with a suite upgrade cert), I might not be too pleased.

I hope that some with access to management (hint to Richard and 777) will take the opportunity to proactively express concerns if it seems like these cost-cutting measures are negatively impacting service.
Appreciate the post and thoughts OsakaWino which helped remind me to share here.
In fact something I do all over the world when the time and the opportunity presents itself is to sit down with management and share what we all like about an individual Hyatt property
as well as what we would like to see improve from the input here and other social media channels I monitor.

And I took the opportunity to do so on my last stay and speak with the good folks at the Churchill
I must tell you that even during their busy tight schedules at this property they jumped to take the time and speak with me for which I was very grateful.
Regret if I didn’t share this previously/sooner
Brought up the eggs to order issue to understand just what the hotel direction and thought process was.

Like many I too thought it was a victim of cost cutting!
The truth is it was a no win situation for the hotel. Guests were complaining routinely that the eggs took too long to arrive in the lounge and it started to affect their service scores!!
They couldn't match the popular demand of orders and dispatch available team members on hand and make it work on the standards of service performance they wished to achieve as well as the guest expectation with the time frame factor so it was scrapped
And in case you folks don't think the good folks at the Churchill listen here or elsewhere apparently a new fitness center is on the way in the near future if I understand correctly^
Hyatt goggles off

Last edited by 777 global mile hound; Feb 9, 2013 at 9:39 pm
Old Feb 10, 2013, 1:50 am

Programs: Virtuoso, Marriott Stars/Luminous, Hilton Impresario, IHG Luxury & Lifestyle, Hyatt Prive etc
We gave feedback in writing last time about the club lounge - passing on some comments and suggestions. A new executive chef recently started, so maybe that will have an effect in time.

The GM has many plans for the hotel and is discussing at least some of them with owners. Whether they will go ahead, who knows, but the idea of a much larger gym, a spa and more suites are under discussion.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 12:13 pm

Churchill Management conversations

Hello all. I am new to this thread, but I have been following updates over the past few months. My wife and I will be staying at the Churchill in May for 4 nights. 2 free nights and 2 paid night, and all 4 with diamond confirmed upgrades.

It was great to hear that management jumped at the chance to discuss issues that have been brought up on the board. What really would have been great, was that if a representative from the hotel also monitored and participated on this thread. I'm not sure if this is again the T&C's of flyertalk or not, but since this thread is only geared to the Churchill, it wouldn't be that hard for them to keep updated on thread questions and conerns.

I sure hope some of the lounge issues have been alleviated by the time we arrive in May. It will certainly be a busier time of year in London, and if only one lounge is open, it's going to make for a very cramped breakfast.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 12:22 am

Originally Posted by ricrawling
Hello all. I am new to this thread, but I have been following updates over the past few months. My wife and I will be staying at the Churchill in May for 4 nights. 2 free nights and 2 paid night, and all 4 with diamond confirmed upgrades.

It was great to hear that management jumped at the chance to discuss issues that have been brought up on the board. What really would have been great, was that if a representative from the hotel also monitored and participated on this thread. I'm not sure if this is again the T&C's of flyertalk or not, but since this thread is only geared to the Churchill, it wouldn't be that hard for them to keep updated on thread questions and conerns.

I sure hope some of the lounge issues have been alleviated by the time we arrive in May. It will certainly be a busier time of year in London, and if only one lounge is open, it's going to make for a very cramped breakfast.
Its my guess that Hyatt typically frowns on participation as many hotel companies do
Yes we do see some particpation from time to time however its pretty rare
You will see more of that on Trip Advisor.

Last edited by 777 global mile hound; Feb 11, 2013 at 11:18 am
Old Feb 11, 2013, 2:06 am

I did mention this forum to the GM, so at least he knows it exists!
Old Feb 11, 2013, 11:02 am
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Originally Posted by RichardInSF
I did mention this forum to the GM, so at least he knows it exists!
I was told at the London Do that they follow FT pretty closely.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 9:33 pm

Originally Posted by peteropny
I was told at the London Do that they follow FT pretty closely.
Maybe by someone other than the GM -- when I mentioned FT to him, he seemed unfamiliar with it.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 5:13 am

Programs: UA Million Miler,Hyatt-Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Club Carlson, National-Exec.
Horrible experience - checked out early

I checked in yesterday at Hyatt Churchill for 3 nights stay and had a horrible experience so I checked out early.

First of all, I called before arrival to make sure my room was ready and I was told it was. This was around 11 AM. When I got there, my room was not ready and I had to wait for over 1.5 hour to get the keys.

The lounge (only one open) was full to the brim with kids and women in hijab. Now don't get me wrong, I have nothing against women in hijab but if you want to make sure men don't look at you, why not take your food and go back to your room and eat in peace. Well, it is none of my business.

There were kids running around up and down the hallway, I was on the 9th floor and I got so frustrated with my lounge experience and kids running up and down that I checked out Today.

I think the good days of this hotel are behind it. I have checked into a Marriott as I am still here for several more days.

My experience at this hotel was not good!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.