Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency Sonoma Wine (Vineyard Creek) , Santa Rosa, CA - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Regency Sonoma Wine (Vineyard Creek) , Santa Rosa, CA - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2010, 4:50 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Mucci Champion des Champions, BAG4L, *A Gold, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz Gold, Avis President
Originally Posted by Steph58
Not good news but thanks for the heads up BAGoldBoy. Any idea if the remodeling will be done by this coming (holiday) weekend?
I wouldn't think so as they only started this morning.

The good news is that I mailed the guy whose email is on the bill (Keo) and they has so many complaints that he refunded me a night!

I really like this hotel and I was very disappointed this morning but they have acted very quickly to resolve my concerns so well done Hyatt
Old May 25, 2010, 5:16 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob (Barely); Marriott Plat Life; AA Up and Down Now Plat; Hilton, UA, BA, HA Peasant
Originally Posted by BAGoldBoy
J They offered to take the meal off but as I had breakfast voucher that meant nothing.
What is the menu like these days? First time I was there was right after reflagging and they had a wonderful American novell local color breakfast menu that made you want to try it all. Last time it was Hyatt standard issue, but if you could remember what it was you liked from the old menu they still had a cook that would do it for you.
Old May 25, 2010, 11:18 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Mucci Champion des Champions, BAG4L, *A Gold, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz Gold, Avis President
Originally Posted by jayer
What is the menu like these days? First time I was there was right after reflagging and they had a wonderful American novell local color breakfast menu that made you want to try it all. Last time it was Hyatt standard issue, but if you could remember what it was you liked from the old menu they still had a cook that would do it for you.
The menu is pretty awesome - corned beef hash, sonoma scramble, eggs in a pot, steak and eggs, crab benedict, french toast, etc, etc and is actually pretty reasonable. The portions are huge - my wife and I could easily split one and still be full

The kitchen renovations are planned to take 15 days so will be ongoing during the Memorial Weekend
Old Jun 15, 2010, 10:08 am
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
Stayed here one night to have dinner at Cyrus in Healdsburg (20-minute drive).

The hotel is fine, I'd stay again, but there are some obvious service cuts. The in-room dining trays don't appear to get picked up but possibly once a day. From 3-9 p.m. last night the hall was filled with trays. Garbage cans outside the hotel entrances were over-flowing. The cushions on the lounges don't appear to get cleaned often (lots of bird mess). They don't provide toothpaste (not a big deal, just first time I've seen a Hyatt that didn't have it other than a Park Hyatt). Room's walls are also almost bare of artwork. I'm guessing they left off what the could to save money during the remodel.

Amenity was a 375 ml bottle of Geyser Peak, which was far better than 750 mls of Canvas. The cheese plate was generous and had three cheeses, a fruit paste, bread and crackers.

They have the Internet charge on the bill (have to call to have it removed) and did not automatically offer up amenity and breakfast cert (I had to ask and the attendant acted as though he'd never heard of such a thing).

I have yet to have breakfast.

Last edited by l etoile; Jun 15, 2010 at 10:13 am
Old Jun 15, 2010, 3:37 pm
DH

Originally Posted by l'etoile
They have the Internet charge on the bill (have to call to have it removed) and did not automatically offer up amenity and breakfast cert (I had to ask and the attendant acted as though he'd never heard of such a thing).

I have yet to have breakfast.
This property doesn't give breakfast coupons. You room charge the breakfast and it's removed from the folio.

P.S. I seeing internet charge popping up at other properties too.
Old Jun 15, 2010, 6:37 pm
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by DH
This property doesn't give breakfast coupons. You room charge the breakfast and it's removed from the folio.

P.S. I seeing internet charge popping up at other properties too.
I did get a breakfast cert. I presented the cert at the restaurant and the breakfast charge was $0 on the check and did not appear on the folio.

The breakfast does have lots of good-sounding options on the menu, as mentioned previously, but they got off easy with me and my $5 oatmeal.
Old Jun 15, 2010, 7:24 pm
DH

Originally Posted by l'etoile
I did get a breakfast cert. I presented the cert at the restaurant and the breakfast charge was $0 on the check and did not appear on the folio.

The breakfast does have lots of good-sounding options on the menu, as mentioned previously, but they got off easy with me and my $5 oatmeal.
Oh, my bad. I was confused with another Hyatt. I've been doing Hyatt mattress running for a while and I getting properties mixed up.

P.S. I ordered steak and egg which was most expensive item (I think) on my last stay.
Old Oct 15, 2010, 1:55 am

Programs: AA PP, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Nat ExecElite, WN CP
Any recent experience at this hotel? I am heading there first weekend in Nov and looking forward to the trip!

From the thread so far: Breakfast is free for Diamonds and pretty good.
Executive Suites seem to be the suite upgrade rooms.
Old Oct 19, 2010, 4:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Fairmont PC Plat
Would also like some recent perspectives on this hotel. I will most likely be staying here on business in mid-November, and was wondering:

1) Do Diamonds typically get upgraded to a "suite" without a suite upgrade certificate?
2) Have the rooms been recently renovated?
Old Oct 20, 2010, 6:49 pm

Programs: AA PP, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Nat ExecElite, WN CP
At least for my dates there are cheaper rates on bookings.com that you can use for the Hyatt BRG (best rate guarantee)
Old Dec 28, 2010, 6:46 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Here are my thoughts about the Hyatt Vineyard Creek based on a weekend my wife and I spent there recently:

At check-in the clerk was friendly and efficient. When I gently inquired about an upgrade (as a platinum staying on a hotel rate, not Priceline like the vast majority of the other guests apparently were, I discovered later) he assured me that he'd already put me in a "corner room", "larger", with a "pool view". I found that the room was basically the same size as everything else, was NOT a corner, and only afforded a pool view if I craned my neck while looking out the small window. As it was late at night and we were tired after our drive, I decided not to ask for a different room.

Even aside from my disappointment over the pointless "upgrade" I found the room only so-so. It was a nice size for a hotel room and was well furnished. That's standard for a Hyatt. But the decor was drab and slightly frayed, and the room was lit by those awful, cheap fluorescent bulbs that make everything look green.

The bathroom vanity was small and cramped. The bathroom door slides, rather than swings, and doesn't shut tightly. It left a clear gap you could see through. From reviews on other sites I see that this appears to be a design issue present in all rooms, not a maintenance problem with a single room.

We did not eat at the hotel's brasserie -- or BRA-sir-ree, as the staff pointedly pronounced it at every opportunity. Probably we were turned off by the pretension. Or the fear that it was not a restaurant but a store selling bras.

There are plenty of food options nearby. The hotel is adjacent to Railroad Square, home to many shops and restaurants. The Santa Rosa shopping center and Brickyard shopping center are only a few blocks away, a pleasant walk whenever it's not raining.

The hotel is easy to reach from US 101. You can see it from the highway. Of course, that also means you can see (and hear) the highway from many of the rooms.

We didn't make any use of the spa facilities. We dipped our toes in the heated outdoor pool but skipped going in as the water wasn't warm enough. We did enjoy the hot tub. It was wide, deep, and hot. In the courtyard there's a fire pit that seems like a nice place for relaxing in the evenings-- though not so much when it's chilly and rainy, like Northern California usually is in the winter.

Overall we don't regret staying at the Hyatt Vineyard Creek. It was worth the $120++ nightly rate we paid on the 5000GP promotion, but only just barely. The hotel touts the fact that it's a AAA 4-diamond property; it struck us as more of a tired old 3-diamond with delusions of grandeur. I'm not sure if that's all the hotel's fault or if it's partly on us for not enjoying spas or nice restaurants run by people who insist on correcting you that it's a BRA-sir-ree. Anyway, without a good promotional rate we'll probably opt for a less expensive hotel next time we're in the area. Or Priceline it like all the other guests we talked to had done.
Old Dec 28, 2010, 10:49 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'd be inclined to agree, based on the rooms I've stayed in at this hotel, that the property is very ready for renovation.
Old Dec 29, 2010, 9:42 am

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
I'd be inclined to agree, based on the rooms I've stayed in at this hotel, that the property is very ready for renovation.
And still that musty, mildew smell. I hope that when they do, they'll change out all the furniture. Since the problem's been in every room I've stayed in, and it's not Florida, I'm holding with my theory that a load of furniture (or maybe carpeting) was left out in the rain en route to the hotel. As to the drab feeling, I think the wine-colored ceiling contributes, though I know some like a dark ceiling.
Old Jan 2, 2011, 2:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Based on the reviews here, I skipped and booked Westin Napa for my Christmas holiday. I'm happy with my decision.

Hope management reads these threads and improves on what should be a great location for Hyatt.
Old Jan 2, 2011, 3:52 pm

Stayed here recently. I used a confirmed suite upgrade since I still had a few to burn with no plans to use them. I probably would not return until there is a complete renovation.

Check-in agent was friendly and easy going. I was offered the Diamond amenity and took the points. However, the bonus code was not listed on my invoice so it looks like I'll have to call about that. There was also no mention of breakfast for Diamonds or the AAA rate I booked. I had to call down to the front desk in the morning to confirm. The concierge was also friendly and was more than happy to give us ideas of things to do in the area.

The lobby had a fire going and looked updated and modern. That was about it for updated amenities. I was booked into the Executive Suite with a courtyard view. I had the view of the courtyard with nothing in it. The furniture was old looking, but well kept up so maybe it's supposed to look old and that's just the "vineyard" decor. There was a large LCD TV that swiveled.

Bathroom had a jetted spa tub and double sinks. Counter space was sufficient. The separate shower was tucked into the corner of the bathroom between the sinks and the tub. The placement of the shower allowed no direct light into the shower so it was kind of dark.

The bed was not that comfortable. The mattress cover was not tucked underneath the actual mattress. It was tucked into the mattress topper. When I attempted to fix it, I noticed two things. First, the sheet on top of the cover was not the fitted sheet. It was a loose one. Well, that's not going to secure a loose mattress cover. Second, there was a tear in the flexible portion of the mattress cover so I decided not to make it worse and just deal with it. Over the course of the night, the mattress cover moved around and took the loose bed sheet with it. In the morning the sheet and the cover were both pulled down, exposing the mattress.

Breakfast at the Brasserie was a completely different experience. My wife and I both enjoyed our dishes and in our limited exposure to Hyatt restaurants, this is one of the better breakfasts we've had. The menu was pretty similar to Santa Clara's but scaled down. I had the Sonoma Scramble and she had the French Toast. The orange juice had that freshly squeezed taste so it was good. None of that concentrate stuff. Service was excellent.

Overall, we were pretty underwhelmed. Service was great all around but the quality of the room and stay did not match. We did like the location of the hotel, with a bunch of shops and restaurants right across the street. There was also a Courtyard Marriott across the street. If we ever return to the area, we may go with the Courtyard instead.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.