Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency Sonoma Wine (Vineyard Creek) , Santa Rosa, CA - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Hyatt Regency Sonoma Wine (Vineyard Creek) , Santa Rosa, CA - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Old Aug 26, 06, 4:59 pm
Original Poster

According to todays paper, the owners of this property are in negotiation to sell this property. Good news is that it will remain a Hyatt.
Article can be found at www.pressdemocrat.com and go to business section.
Bob
Old Aug 29, 06, 5:01 pm

Vineyard Creek is second-tier suburban business conference hotel adjacent to a 10-lane freeway and a putrid stream, posing as a bucolic weekend getaway among the grape fields of Sonoma County.
Old Aug 29, 06, 6:06 pm

Programs: Hyatt globalist, Alaska mvp, Marriott titanium, ihg spire
Originally Posted by PritzkerWannabe
Vineyard Creek is second-tier suburban business conference hotel adjacent to a 10-lane freeway and a putrid stream, posing as a bucolic weekend getaway among the grape fields of Sonoma County.
This could be a much nicer place despite its proximity to the freeway. It's within walking distance to many nice restaurants in Railroad Square, and has a fine location for wine tasting, biking, and other activities. IMHO, its major problem is the clueless, untrained staff in the hotel and onsite restaurant who turn your stay into a torturous event.
Old Sep 8, 06, 12:42 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold
Despite the freeway, this Hyatt's at a pretty good location -- a walking distance from many good restaurants, bars, and the mall.

My one stay there, however, was quite disappointing. A drunken wine taster stumbled into me in the hallway. And I got a 5 am wake up call that I didn't request. I expressed my dissatisfaction upon checkout, and the lady at the front desk shrugged.

I certainly hope this hotel gets better.
Old Sep 8, 06, 4:05 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond+, Alaska Airlines MVP, Priority Club Platinum
Originally Posted by Simpo
My one stay there, however, was quite disappointing. A drunken wine taster stumbled into me in the hallway. And I got a 5 am wake up call that I didn't request. I expressed my dissatisfaction upon checkout, and the lady at the front desk shrugged.
Wow! Is this your example of a "disappointing" stay. Frequently, even my best hotel stays have more problems than that. Someone stumbles into you in the hall and probably that same guy does not remember his room number when he requests a wake up call from the front desk. Sure the lady should have said sorry but maybe it was the way you expressed your "dissatisfaction" with your entire stay.
Old Sep 8, 06, 4:24 pm

Originally Posted by westcoastman
Wow! Is this your example of a "disappointing" stay. Frequently, even my best hotel stays have more problems than that. Someone stumbles into you in the hall and probably that same guy does not remember his room number when he requests a wake up call from the front desk. Sure the lady should have said sorry but maybe it was the way you expressed your "dissatisfaction" with your entire stay.
We can probably spend a lot of time trading hotel horror stories (i.e. the time I found brown splatters still on the toilet seat). But IMHO, the most important part of a hotel is a good night's sleep. That wake up call took away 25% of the "value" in that night's stay. I fell back asleep after the first two calls, but after I woke up to answer the third one, I couldn't get back to sleep.

Btw, the lady shrugged and then apologized. I'm always very civil to front desk staff.
Old Sep 8, 06, 8:21 pm
Suspended

Actually all of the chain hotels in the area have their drawbacks and none really qualify as a fully qualified resort.

That said, I liked the location as it gave great on/off access to the freeway so that one can venture further North/South in Sonoma. I found the rooms quiet and the location near to the restos in Santa Rosa fine.

The major complaint I have with it is that it is too highly priced esp. for weekends -- no wonder that it and many of its competitors come up often on Priceline for half the amount being charged online by Hyatt.
Old Sep 8, 06, 11:45 pm

Programs: AA 2MM, *wd gold
I liked it. Stayed 3x when on business. Not looking for resort, just comfort. Priceline'd it and got a good deal each time. Will stay again. Convenient to freeway and yet quiet. Front desk staff young and, yes, not too helpful. However, if you know what you should get they don't argue with you.
Old Sep 9, 06, 1:53 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Passport Diamond, UA Premier Plat, WN A-List
Originally Posted by puppysara
I liked it. Stayed 3x when on business. Not looking for resort, just comfort. Priceline'd it and got a good deal each time. Will stay again. Convenient to freeway and yet quiet. Front desk staff young and, yes, not too helpful. However, if you know what you should get they don't argue with you.

Decent property for a freeway location...Not too impressed, but also not disappointed. Staff are hot or miss when it comes to knowledge and courtesy.
Old Sep 9, 06, 5:46 pm

Originally Posted by Simpo
We can probably spend a lot of time trading hotel horror stories (i.e. the time I found brown splatters still on the toilet seat). But IMHO, the most important part of a hotel is a good night's sleep. That wake up call took away 25% of the "value" in that night's stay. I fell back asleep after the first two calls, but after I woke up to answer the third one, I couldn't get back to sleep.

Btw, the lady shrugged and then apologized. I'm always very civil to front desk staff.
You didn't leave the phone off the hook after the FIRST one? Not to mention the SECOND one??
Old Sep 11, 06, 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by agrater
You didn't leave the phone off the hook after the FIRST one? Not to mention the SECOND one??
Didn't get out of bed until the third one; I had to walk across the room to the desk (a bit strange considering most hotels have a phone by the bed). I suppose I have to give them credit for their persistence.
Old Jan 2, 07, 12:00 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

We just spent two nights at this hotel over New Years. While I would say our experience was nothing spectacular, it was quite acceptable for the class of hotel and the rate paid.

We paid $145 a night rack rate off-season for a room category called a "hospitality suite," one level above the standard room, which was going for $115 - 125. As diamonds, we were upgraded to a "resort suite" which was a smallish, not particularly luxurious, two room suite overlooking the pool.

There were a variety of choices for the diamond amenity and we selected a cheese plate and a half bottle of wine. Diamond breakfast is a coupon good for the continental (or credit on something pricier) in the hotel restaurant, which I would categorize as an upscale Denny's.

I looked at standard rooms and they are decent, smallish but also acceptable. This is probably the best hotel in Santa Rosa, but the main competition (a Courtyard by Marriott across the street) isn't that substantial.

If you're expecting the Park Hyatt Tokyo, this is not the hotel for you. But considering the room price and level of this hotel in the Hyatt hierarchy, I thought it was fine.
Old Jan 2, 07, 8:03 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, UA MP 1K, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Platinum, hhonors Gold
Originally Posted by RichardInSF View Post
We just spent two nights at this hotel over New Years. While I would say our experience was nothing spectacular, it was quite acceptable for the class of hotel and the rate paid.

We paid $145 a night rack rate off-season for a room category called a "hospitality suite," one level above the standard room, which was going for $115 - 125. As diamonds, we were upgraded to a "resort suite" which was a smallish, not particularly luxurious, two room suite overlooking the pool.
I was there for the night of the 30th (for $130) and was also upgraded to a suite as a Diamond. I thought the suite was comfortable and the hotel staff quite good. Last time I was there I was in a normal room and had no complaints.

We had a wonderful dinner a Syrah's in the historic town and although I had booked my own reservations asked at the front desk for directions before leaving. Between courses the restaurant offered us a free amuse-bouche complements of the Hyatt. So assume that the hotel must have called... which I thought was a pretty nice touch.
Old Apr 2, 07, 11:01 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Bonvoy LTT, Hyatt Exp, AA 1MM, UA Silver, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Stayed this past weekend on a FFN. As diamond, was upgraded to an "Executive suite" on the 1st floor. It was a huge room, but suite was a stretch as it was just a single room that included a sitting area with a couch and two chairs. Bathroom was huge with separate whirlpool tub/shower and a double sink. Our view was of a central courtyard, not the pool.

We also had dinner at Syrah (tasty), and asked for directions, but no amuse for us. The diamond breakfast covered the $5.95 continental breakfast at the restaurant next door; we were able to apply that cost to other breakfast items, and just pay the difference. I didn't even see the continental breakfast listed on the menu, so it must be something they do to create a price point for the coupon.

We had a very nice stay, and wished we another FFN had been available. It was a good launching pad for a tour of Northern Sonoma county; it took us about 30 minutes to get up there, and it was a nice drive.
Old Mar 28, 08, 11:39 pm

Programs: Affiliated with all, participate in some
The lobby of this hotel is scheduled for remodeling and will feature a bar. The remodel is scheduled to be completed in June 2008. Signs of work on entryway to hotel, but no sign of interior work being done at this time.

The grounds and pool are the highlight of this hotel and I would recommend it as a pleasant place to hang out by the pool when the weather is warm. Rooms are decorated in California mission style with lots of faux old furniture and iron metal style fixtures and lamps in colored wall high ceiling room.

There are two adjacent blocks called the Historic Railyard District with a variety of small independent restaurants and boutique and second hand shops.

The spa is centrally featured hotel amenity and frequently offers special packages for spa treatments that can be a significant savings over regular rates.

Bike path right outside back of hotel offers creekside park riding opportunities.

Main Central Business District is about a mile away on east side of Highway 101 and major wine regions of Napa and Sonoma are within 20 to 40 miles of Santa Rosa.

Patio rooms on ground floor of this three story hotel are in two open courtyards and about 7 rooms at back of hotel face pool with patios. There is no privacy with these patios as they are simply areas outside the patio doors of the room in an open central courtyard. Think of two squares like a square figure 8 and the hotel has two enclosed courtyards with a totally open adobe mission style ambience.

Search this Thread