Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency Lost Pines Resort and Spa (Austin, TX) - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Regency Lost Pines Resort and Spa (Austin, TX) - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2020, 9:38 pm

Originally Posted by mrowl
Has anyone gotten more info about this resort opening, other than the policies posted online? https://www.hyatt.com/en-US/hotel/te...auslp/policies

The hotel operator mentioned they are limiting the hotel capacity to 50%, but I am skeptical.
Why skeptical? This is EXACTLY the same way HR Hill Country (sister resort) is operating.... the only difference I can see is that Hill Country is operating all outdoor venues and the waterslide whereas it appears Lost Pines is not. Lost Pines is also just wrapping up a huge renovation, FYI.
Old Jun 23, 2020, 11:06 am

Just wrapped up a weekend stay this past weekend. Overall I have mixed feelings.

First of all, the renovated rooms are GORGEOUS! It does not appear that all rooms have been renovated and I did not see any signs of construction. My sense is they scaled back the project due to COVID. Thus, it makes sense to request a renovated room! The standard suite (Junior Suite) is also a very nice full suite design with separate bedroom, large living area, table, etc. Sofa makes into a bed.

Service here used to be very good but that has definitely declined. The spa area is also not nearly as great as it used to be. They seem both over and under-staffed and definitely under-managed which is disappointing especially at a Hyatt-corporate OWNED and operated hotel. I'm used to more consistency than I'm seeing at Corporate-operated properties. They seem distracted and it really shows. I was overcharged repeatedly and had to ask repeatedly for removal for such things as Resort Fees and breakfast. When I requested wine glasses be delivered to my room I was told "we don't do that" which is nuts at a property that charges up to $500 per night. Getting them to respond to text messages was nearly impossible and some texts were ignored. They claimed an IT issue, but I think it's more a staffing issue.

The facility itself is still very nice. The pool area is great. The young staff are mostly enthusiastic. The food (which used to be among the best I've had at Hyatt) is still mostly good but not great. I enjoyed the H.R. Hill Country food better last month, and it used to be the opposite. They also have a real problem with stinging insects (hornets I think) which were in a lot of places they should not be (our balcony, the outdoor dining area, etc.) I realize it's the country but this was never an issue in the past. The spa was very unkempt (towels and robes everywhere) and seemed very understaffed.

We had a good time but for the prices charged they really need to return to the greatness they were once known for....
Old Jun 23, 2020, 11:49 am

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum; Hyatt Diamond/GLOB
We love this resort, but I'm wondering how things are operating with CV-19 right now.

The buffet was a hit with my gang, but that is obviously out. How are they handling globalist breakfast now?

The pool is open, and I assume the lazy river is open, but is the water slide also open?

I heard they have individual smore kits now.

I do agree that the "junior suite" there is just about the best junior suite in the chain.
Old Jun 23, 2020, 11:59 am

Originally Posted by HoustonConsultant
We love this resort, but I'm wondering how things are operating with CV-19 right now.

The buffet was a hit with my gang, but that is obviously out. How are they handling globalist breakfast now?

The pool is open, and I assume the lazy river is open, but is the water slide also open?

I heard they have individual smore kits now.

I do agree that the "junior suite" there is just about the best junior suite in the chain.
Oddly enough, they are still doing a modified buffet for breakfast and some kind of buffet at night. I can't see how this is sanitary/appropriate as it involves people grouping up in close quarters (even if they serve the food to you, which they appear to do). Anyway, the buffets still exist but we didn't use them.

Pools and lazy river are open and normal. Slide is open.

Smores is somewhat odd. You get a kit at the front desk and go out whenever you want. I prefer the old way (which they are still doing at the H.R. Hill Country - which is strange as you'd expect both resorts to be operating identically or close).

Club lounge is kaput and that looks permanent. Globalist breakfast is in the main restaurant and is just like any other property without a lounge (order what you want, etc.) Fine dining restaurant is closed. No room service. No valet. No daily housekeeping.

It's a good experience but feels a bit off.... I liked it better before (stayed there 5-6 times over the past 2-3 years).

Ask for a renovated suite!
Old Jun 23, 2020, 2:37 pm

Originally Posted by txhyattlvr
Oddly enough, they are still doing a modified buffet for breakfast and some kind of buffet at night. I can't see how this is sanitary/appropriate as it involves people grouping up in close quarters (even if they serve the food to you, which they appear to do). Anyway, the buffets still exist but we didn't use them.

Pools and lazy river are open and normal. Slide is open.

Smores is somewhat odd. You get a kit at the front desk and go out whenever you want. I prefer the old way (which they are still doing at the H.R. Hill Country - which is strange as you'd expect both resorts to be operating identically or close).

Club lounge is kaput and that looks permanent. Globalist breakfast is in the main restaurant and is just like any other property without a lounge (order what you want, etc.) Fine dining restaurant is closed. No room service. No valet. No daily housekeeping.

It's a good experience but feels a bit off.... I liked it better before (stayed there 5-6 times over the past 2-3 years).

Ask for a renovated suite!
What was served on the "modified buffet for breakfast"? How were they spacing guests in the restaurant? Did they allow breakfast "to-go" so you can eat it in your room?
Old Jun 23, 2020, 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by JWEMTX
What was served on the "modified buffet for breakfast"? How were they spacing guests in the restaurant? Did they allow breakfast "to-go" so you can eat it in your room?
Spacing is fine in the restaurants (tables far apart) but there's zero spacing in the buffet area. The buffet area is a cramped alcove type space and honestly I think it's entirely inappropriate for anyone trying to avoid COVID to be in it. I'm really surprised they are running the buffet at all. Oddly enough, the buffet area at the H.R. Hill Country (VERY similar resort) is all spread out and they still weren't using it at all... yet they are using the cramped space at Lost Pines!

We didn't use the buffet but it appeared most items were wrapped in plastic and hot items where being dished up by staff - so no touching/sharing utensils.

To-Go is likely an option but we didn't ask. There is no room service (which USED to be an option for Globalist breakfast here). We couldn't even get a couple of wine glasses delivered...

Also, Globalist amenities such as wine or treats arriving magically in your room (something I almost always had happen here) is sadly gone, too. Cost cutting is the new rule of the day at Hyatt.
Old Aug 2, 2020, 10:41 am

Thinking about going here for a getaway, I see no daily housekeeping, what does that mean specifically? We plan to be there for a week, is housekeeping just once during the stay?

I read that the lounge is closed, is there any quiet place to work besides my room?
Old Aug 2, 2020, 11:06 am

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum; Hyatt Diamond/GLOB
Originally Posted by ZBigFam
Thinking about going here for a getaway, I see no daily housekeeping, what does that mean specifically? We plan to be there for a week, is housekeeping just once during the stay?

I read that the lounge is closed, is there any quiet place to work besides my room?
Haven't had the lounge in a while, and I doubt it comes back.
No info on housekeeping.

I tend to work at night when the kids are asleep, and I would just go to the business center and work in there. It was always empty at night and generally empty during the day. I guess it is conceivable that they now lock the business center for CV-19.

I have also worked in empty rooms in the conference center. The conference center is huge, and I would be surprised if they are using it at capacity with CV-19, but even prior to that, I was always able to find an empty (and unlocked) room, and no one ever chased me out. I was generally trying to work off hours, but I suspect they would let you in an unused room whenever..
Old Aug 2, 2020, 3:30 pm

We just finished our stay there on Friday. Housekeeping comes every 3 days, but if you need anything you just need to call. Lots of open spaces to work, hardly anyone hung out in the lobby area. I used a Suite Upgrade certificate to get a Junior Suite but when the Front Office Manager emailed me a few days prior to check-in, I asked if it was possible to get further upgraded to a Family Room and he said ok. So we had plenty of space (large living room, dining table, kitchen with full refrigerator and microwave, and three patio areas with chairs and tables).
Old Aug 2, 2020, 4:37 pm

Originally Posted by JWEMTX
We just finished our stay there on Friday. Housekeeping comes every 3 days, but if you need anything you just need to call. Lots of open spaces to work, hardly anyone hung out in the lobby area. I used a Suite Upgrade certificate to get a Junior Suite but when the Front Office Manager emailed me a few days prior to check-in, I asked if it was possible to get further upgraded to a Family Room and he said ok. So we had plenty of space (large living room, dining table, kitchen with full refrigerator and microwave, and three patio areas with chairs and tables).
Thanks this is super helpful. Can u pm me your contact if possible?
Old Aug 17, 2020, 7:50 pm

Just stayed here a week, probably two nights too long, here's my report

Overall the hotel does a decent job ensuring guests are wearing masks but there are still issues, Friday and Saturday night when occupancy was higher there were at least 15 people in the small game room area without masks...

Housekeeping was good, they gave us a choice for daily cleaning or the once every three days option. I opted for daily given the fact that we had kids with us.

Breakfast was really good and since the kids slept in most days we didn't miss the club that much. During the week breakfast was a la carte, during the weekend it was a buffet. I thought they did a great job in that they didn't allow guests to serve themselves and muffins and such were individually wrapped

While breakfast was good, dinner at shellers was HORRIBLE. So many guests complained on how bad the food was. Highly recommend that you stop by a HEB or trader joes before you stay here for your snacks and go to dinner off property .

Didn't realize Texas was so hot in the summer, wow, we ended up doing most of our swimming in the early evening. Keep watch for bugs though as they feast on you after about 7pm.

I'm not from Texas and I don't want to cast dispersions but it seemed like the weekend crowd was quite rowdy. People didn't like wearing masks and on our last night there, there were some middle aged ladies that had drunk too much and began to vomit into the lazy river. Instead of doing anything constructive, their other friends simply video taped the scene on their phones. The lazy river seemed like a frat party rather than a peaceful family atmosphere.
​​​​​​
it was a decent stay... but I don't know if I'll return.
Old Aug 18, 2020, 9:19 am

Just stayed here a week, probably two nights too long, here's my report

Overall the hotel does a decent job ensuring guests are wearing masks but there are still issues, Friday and Saturday night when occupancy was higher there were at least 15 people in the small game room area without masks...

Housekeeping was good, they gave us a choice for daily cleaning or the once every three days option. I opted for daily given the fact that we had kids with us.

Breakfast was really good and since the kids slept in most days we didn't miss the club that much. During the week breakfast was a la carte, during the weekend it was a buffet. I thought they did a great job in that they didn't allow guests to serve themselves and muffins and such were individually wrapped

While breakfast was good, dinner at shellers was HORRIBLE. So many guests complained on how bad the food was. Highly recommend that you stop by a HEB or trader joes before you stay here for your snacks and go to dinner off property .

Didn't realize Texas was so hot in the summer, wow, we ended up doing most of our swimming in the early evening. Keep watch for bugs though as they feast on you after about 7pm.

I'm not from Texas and I don't want to cast dispersions but it seemed like the weekend crowd was quite rowdy. People didn't like wearing masks and on our last night there, there were some middle aged ladies that had drunk too much and began to vomit into the lazy river. Instead of doing anything constructive, their other friends simply video taped the scene on their phones. The lazy river seemed like a frat party rather than a peaceful family atmosphere.
​​​​​​
it was a decent stay... but I don't know if I'll return.
We are regulars here (and Texans) and what your describing (rowdiness) is NOT normal. I’ve never seen any of that.

However, what is true is that the pandemic has changed the demographics of who is staying where... I’ve seen lots of that!

We’re seeing two things:
1. Normally high priced properties are now much cheaper which changes who can afford to come. Also lots of room dumping into sites like Hotwire and Priceline.
2. It’s a less risk averse (party on) crowd that is taking advantage of these cheap(er) offers. They either already had Covid or don’t care about getting it (or giving it).

Pair this with pent up demand and voila... not just a Texas thing... we’ve seen it all over.
Old Aug 20, 2020, 3:08 pm

Programs: MR-Amb, Hyatt-Globalist, AA-EXP
Originally Posted by txhyattlvr
We are regulars here (and Texans) and what your describing (rowdiness) is NOT normal. I’ve never seen any of that.

However, what is true is that the pandemic has changed the demographics of who is staying where... I’ve seen lots of that!

We’re seeing two things:
1. Normally high priced properties are now much cheaper which changes who can afford to come. Also lots of room dumping into sites like Hotwire and Priceline.
2. It’s a less risk averse (party on) crowd that is taking advantage of these cheap(er) offers. They either already had Covid or don’t care about getting it (or giving it).

Pair this with pent up demand and voila... not just a Texas thing... we’ve seen it all over.
I've only had a couple recent stays, but this has been my experience as well. You have business travelers that have to be somewhere and they seem to be pretty safe, but the leisure guests are much more lax about masks, etc. and way less family vacations. I don't see myself returning to a US resort property any time soon unless it's a villa property where I have my own kitchen and can avoid the main crowds.

In a normal summer, you would be much more likely to have babies spitting up in the pool and little kids splashing too much. The adult areas and spa are typically pretty quiet, and members of our family would take turns watching the kids in the main areas so we could all get in some relaxation at the adult-only areas.
Old Dec 30, 2020, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Just finished up a two day stay. Nice visit overall, got lucky with amazing low-70s weather. A few observations:
  • Agreed about Shellers...pretty mediocre. And the high-end restaurant isn't open right now, so come with expectations in check on food.
  • That being said, breakfast at Firewheel was pretty good I thought
  • Activities were a blast...did the UTV ride, horseback trail ride, fishing, archery/tomahawk, trap shooting. Same group of employees run most of these, good people
  • Stayed in a renovated room/Jr. suite - new style is quite nice and modern, looks great compared to the very standard visuals you see on the web site
  • Helpful staff all around, dinner was a bit crazy one night, lot of people looking to eat
Would definitely come back again, preferably during the summer for a warm water lazy river
Old Dec 30, 2020, 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Just finished up a two day stay. Nice visit overall, got lucky with amazing low-70s weather. A few observations:
  • Agreed about Shellers...pretty mediocre. And the high-end restaurant isn't open right now, so come with expectations in check on food.
  • That being said, breakfast at Firewheel was pretty good I thought
  • Activities were a blast...did the UTV ride, horseback trail ride, fishing, archery/tomahawk, trap shooting. Same group of employees run most of these, good people
  • Stayed in a renovated room/Jr. suite - new style is quite nice and modern, looks great compared to the very standard visuals you see on the web site
  • Helpful staff all around, dinner was a bit crazy one night, lot of people looking to eat
Would definitely come back again, preferably during the summer for a warm water lazy river
The lazy river is heaven when it’s warm.... almost magical at night when the stars (and lighted trees) are twinkling. Shame they don’t heat it but I’m sure the economics of doing that are prohibitive.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.