Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency Lost Pines Resort and Spa (Austin, TX) - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Regency Lost Pines Resort and Spa (Austin, TX) - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2022, 9:55 am

I did hear back from them. they said they're aiming to get the water slide open in March but aren't able to guarantee anything yet until the end of May. Chatted with them a bit more it's really more of a staffing/operational feasibility thing rather than weather-related (any freak Texas snow storms notwithstanding).

Was told to check in with them in mid-March on April availability.

Can't really deal with that level of uncertainty after schlepping the family halfway across the country -- so just going to switch things around entirely and go to Hawaii instead .
Old Mar 13, 2022, 2:58 pm

Anyone have any recommendations on the "extras" at this property? Skeet Shooting? Horseback Riding? Ebikes? Anything worth the extra cost? I am going with my 10 year old, we don't mind spending extra money but want to make sure it is worthwhile, thanks!
Old Mar 13, 2022, 3:37 pm

Originally Posted by NJTeacher
Anyone have any recommendations on the "extras" at this property? Skeet Shooting? Horseback Riding? Ebikes? Anything worth the extra cost? I am going with my 10 year old, we don't mind spending extra money but want to make sure it is worthwhile, thanks!
I don't remember min age on skeet shooting, but I did that with my 12 year old last time and he loved it. Guys running it were solid and made it fun & accessible to the various skill levels we had there. They suggested (as did several other guests) axe throwing, but we never got around to it. Also, zip lining is on our todo but haven't done it yet.

Horseback riding is a nice long trail ride. I grew up around horses so wasn't spectacular (guided, relatively slow pace), but my kids who are Texan but around that less enjoyed it. Don't know if they still do it but the separate "pony rides" I did years ago when kids were younger were totally dinky and not worth it.

I'll say this though, 75% of the time when we go we don't do the extras. There's a lot to do on property that is included. The craft times are favorites with my daughters. there's animal meet and greets, s'mores, and other stuff that more than fill out a day along with pools, etc. McKinney Roughs nature area is adjacent to the property and free if you're staying at LP. You can actually walk directly onto it from LP, but I prefer driving over to the visitor's center where there are more trailheads to start from.

Also, don't know if it's if you're feasible flying in, but we always bring dinky fishing poles from home and grab worms at the gas station on way in. No need to pay the laughable fees for a "fishing experience" - they're happy to let you fish for free .
NJTeacher likes this.
Old Aug 26, 2022, 7:35 pm

Just got back from a 3 night stay.

As a globalist, I used a suite upgrade certificate and the Junior Suite was a fantastic room. This was the first time I've ever seen a Vertuo Nespresso provided in the room, which I loved and have never seen even at Park Hyatts. Another nice touch was that even though this is a Hyatt Regency, they had toiletries OTHER than the standard Pharmacopia. Nice change of pace to have some local toiletries for a sense of place. The junior suite is actually a "true" suite with doors separating both the main (large) living room, bathroom, and bedroom. Plenty of privacy even with your kids on the sofa bed.

Breakfast was good on days they had the buffet. The first day we were there, only a la carte was provided due to low occupancy rates. Service was very slow and the food was very much average. VERY expensive for what you get if your breakfast isn't comped. The breakfast buffet, however, is high quality with lots of selections. I would say that overall the food at this resort is good, but not amazing, and food delivery services do not deliver here. Level your expectations accordingly.

The pool area is nice but very worn. It could use some updating. The lazy river is long and my daughter loved it. However, there are a lot of bugs, dirt, and tree droppings in the water, so if you're scared of that kind of stuff, you won't enjoy it. You're in a very natural setting, so for me it was all part of it. But be ready for lots of big dead bugs in the water with you.

The included craft sessions are a nice addition and way to pass the time. My daughter loved the variety of crafts each day, as well as looking at the "mascots" in their pen (pigs, donkeys, alpalca, and long horn cows).

One big surprise to me about this resort is that it is a HUGE conference/event hotel. Except for our first day, this place was packed with business people around the lobby and elevators. If you can deal with the crowds, know that the higher occupancy rates equals a breakfast buffet, and usually these types of people aren't using the pools, so even with those kind of events going on, the resort can in a way still feel secluded, quiet, and peaceful. It was just a surprise to me that there were SO many business events going on.

Overall, I would definitely return again because this is an amazing use of a suite upgrade award as a globalist. With just a few tweaks here and there (especially in the main Firewheel restaurant and with some renovations around the pool), this could absolutely be a 5 star resort.
Old Dec 3, 2022, 8:16 pm

Has anyone visited Lost Pines recently and been able to visit the Regency Club? Curious if it's re-opened and if the quality is still there. We visited pre-covid and enjoyed the club's breakfast offerings very much. TIA
Old Dec 3, 2022, 8:19 pm

Originally Posted by redtalun
Has anyone visited Lost Pines recently and been able to visit the Regency Club? Curious if it's re-opened and if the quality is still there. We visited pre-covid and enjoyed the club's breakfast offerings very much. TIA
Was there at the end of August. The club has been permanently turned into a craft room for kids. Regency Club will not be reopening.
redtalun likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2023, 4:04 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton , Hyatt, Qatar
February Visit

Originally Posted by Daftryan
Was there at the end of August. The club has been permanently turned into a craft room for kids. Regency Club will not be reopening.
February

NO Regency club and rather quite at the resort mid week earlier this month. Staff and the grounds are the strength of this property. Pools were not open due to weather but the spa and other facilities were available.
Old Feb 21, 2023, 7:49 pm

Programs: AA Platinum 4MM; Marriott Titanium; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Spaulding70
February

NO Regency club and rather quite at the resort mid week earlier this month. Staff and the grounds are the strength of this property. Pools were not open due to weather but the spa and other facilities were available.
Thanks for the update. THe restaurant on the 2nd floor is open, now? Did you eat there and, if so, how was it?
Old Feb 22, 2023, 12:38 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton , Hyatt, Qatar
Restaurant

Originally Posted by JoeWoodstock
Thanks for the update. THe restaurant on the 2nd floor is open, now? Did you eat there and, if so, how was it?
The Story restaurant on the second floor was open during our four night stay and we enjoyed one meal in it. Mostly steaks, beef and antelope, and a rather modest selection otherwise. Mixed drinks were good and the food fine. Service was quite good . We found we could drive into restaurants we like in Austin in about a half hour so did that on two occasions. In my view evening meals at the resort were the weakest point. Breakfast was the best meal relatively speaking.
Old May 20, 2023, 1:06 am

Stayed here for two nights the other week for a staycation with the family and really enjoyed it on points. Used a SUA to upgrade the first night and then used a cat 1-7 award on the second night (which you can't technically apply a SUA to) but they kept us in the same Junior Suite anyways. Don't think it's really worth the $1k/night cash price but definitely enjoyed our weekend. The Junior Suite is great for a family as the kids slept on the comfortable sofa bed and we had our own separate room with locking door and could even keep a door closed for the bathroom. The smores, astronomy, hiking, and petting zoo activities were fun. We did day trips to the nearby dino park (it's exactly what you would expect based on the website so if that sounds interesting for your family then you'll like it and if that sounds too kitschy and lame then you'd hate it) and downtown historic Bastrop which was a good side trip. Breakfast buffet was great. Dinner was menu only due to low occupancy which was OK but you'd have better food offsite. We enjoyed the tennis and basketball and yard games like horseshoes and bocce ball, and floated around the lazy river a bunch. Staff were great and very friendly. Drinks at the pool were very sweet but good and pool side lunch was tasty. The water slide is fun though short - I think I'm forever spoiled by the Aruba Hyatt water slide.

The only negative was that the bar was extremely mediocre and nowhere worth the $18 cocktails. They're supposed to open a renovated bar area in June so maybe that will be better. I expected a really nice interesting bar for the price and remoteness of the location, but was disappointed. Also the extras (skeet shooting, horse rides) are insanely expensive so skipped all that. Overall though we had a great time and the kids really enjoyed the weekend.

So definitely recommend for a relaxing weekend away on points but can't imagine spending more than 3 nights here and would never pay the cash price.
Old May 20, 2023, 9:03 am

Programs: Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott // WN, AA, BA, UA, AS // Avis
Awesome update. I also am using a SUA and We are checking in this coming Thursday for 4 nights and looking forward for our kids to have some memorable experiences!
Old May 29, 2023, 4:58 pm

Programs: AS 100K, DL MM, AA PLT
Just to add a contrasting data point, I know this is a long-time favorite of many, but they are clearly struggling to get help right now. Lines/waits were out of control everywhere on property: breakfast was a ~30-minute wait to be seated every morning, and empty tables abounded: they just didn't have the staff to bus/turn them. It also literally took the entire meal one morning (i.e., about 45 mins) for the wait staff to arrive with my coffee (It showed up *after* the bill; I asked them to just put it in a to-go up.). During peak hours pool staff were running to-and-fro trying to get food distributed. I'd say 50-75% of the food-service staff had "Trainee" on their name badge. Everyone was nice, to be sure, but they just need more people.

Also, agree with the prior posts that restaurant dinners were a low point; Scribes (the high-end restaurant) was the worst offender. Luckily most nights we were there they had outdoor buffets by the pool that were moderately priced and a big hit with the kids. If we go back we'll definitely be taking dinner off property.

Last edited by Erasmus; May 29, 2023 at 5:04 pm Reason: Typos.
Old May 30, 2023, 9:59 am

Programs: Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott // WN, AA, BA, UA, AS // Avis
Wrapped up a 4 night stay at the HR Lost Pines, and what an incredible property and experience we had. Perhaps the friendliest and most helpful hotel staff we’ve encountered at any US hotel of all time, and on par with service we’ve gotten at luxury places we’ve stayed in Mexico and other countries. I will further confirm with posters above that it seems like they are struggling with staffing. So many people were 'in training' during our stay, and even with all of them around, lines for valet, restaurants and bell desk could be lengthy. We realized that first day in, and adjusted accordingly to ask for things in advance.

I had booked 2 rooms and used a SUA for our party of 5, and we got a Junior Suite + connecting room. Was perfect to have 2 bedrooms + 2 bathrooms and that middle living area, as we traveled with other family (who had their own room, no suite) and our party was a total of 4 adults and the 6 kids going nuts in the living area together all the time. Our rooms were great- while furnishings were perhaps a little older, everything was well maintained, clean, working condition, and no issues. One tiny gripe is would be nice to have locks on the bathroom doors, since my kids apparently haven’t been taught to knock (that’s a knock on me & wife, obviously). Globalist recognition was excellent, we were offered what felt like 100 free bottles of water daily, plus the usual other perks (free breakfasts and they gave it to us for all 5 in our family), free valet, etc etc.

The hotel is under some renovations in the main lobby, and they actually re-opened the Maverick’s restaurant the 2nd day of our stay. While work was going on daily, it did not impact our stay at all, we didn’t hear any construction noise from our room or anywhere else, and the construction crew were carefully monitored to stay out of guests way to the max extent possible. Maude's is still in progress and looks like it will be a bit longer before they are open.

The hotel staff … truly remarkable. We are Kosher travelers and reached out to the hotel in advance as we’ve done at many other properties to coordinate bringing some of our food to be prepared. The Food&Beverage staff went above and beyond both pre-stay and during our stay, checking in with us daily and communicating with the chef & staff of each restaurant. In particular, Ben G, Kristina H, and Chef Chris, were SO wonderful and helpful. And at Firewheel Café, Crystal H. greeted us every morning and on a few dinners and took care of every need that my kids thought she was part of our group by the end of the stay! I plan to reach out to the hotel GM and Corporate to write an email of thanks and recognition. Elsewhere, every interaction we had with staff at other restaurants, the pools, and so on…. Again just incredible warmth and hospitality that is so often lacking these days.

The kids (10, 7, 5) LOVED this property. Our kids are learning to ride horses, and they did the horseback riding / renegade trail and wanted to do that again every day! They also very much enjoyed daily crafting, smores, archery, fishing (our own poles thanks to this thread) and we did the Nature Quest thing at McKinney Roughs Nature Park nearby which they loved as well. Even the arcade, walking to the Colorado River, seeing the animals on the property (the Longhorns are incredible up close), and finally, of course, the waterpark with the slide, lazy river etc etc. They never ONCE asked to watch TV, and only asked for ipads during small amounts of downtime such as waiting for dinner or whatever. And all the bugs everywhere… by the 2nd day, they didn’t even care anymore because they were so busy having fun.

We didnt use the spa, gym or other facilities so wont comment on any of that. I'll wrap up and say that honestly, this hotel exceeded all my expectations as a paradise for kids & families. My wife is already asking me to book again for next year. We will 100% be back.
Old Jul 5, 2023, 2:52 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum; Hyatt Diamond/GLOB
Junior Suite Renovations?

We have been to LP a dozen times, and the junior suites are perfect for us with a separate bedroom, sleeper sofa, and a table for meals.

The website pictures look like the junior suites have been renovated.

Has anyone been in a junior suite since the renovation? Is the layout generally the same but with updated furniture or did they change the layout?
Old Jul 5, 2023, 4:30 pm

Programs: Starwood Gold, HH Diamond,Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by HoustonConsultant
We have been to LP a dozen times, and the junior suites are perfect for us with a separate bedroom, sleeper sofa, and a table for meals.

The website pictures look like the junior suites have been renovated.

Has anyone been in a junior suite since the renovation? Is the layout generally the same but with updated furniture or did they change the layout?
They now have some jr suites that still have separate bedroom, but much smaller especially on the bathroom and LR parts.
The old ones were dated but huge and spacious

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.