Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency Lost Pines Resort and Spa (Austin, TX) - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Regency Lost Pines Resort and Spa (Austin, TX) - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2020, 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by txhyattlvr
The lazy river is heaven when it’s warm.... almost magical at night when the stars (and lighted trees) are twinkling. Shame they don’t heat it but I’m sure the economics of doing that are prohibitive.
HR Hill Country heats their's and it's much bigger (and nicer imho). Honestly don't know why HR Lost Pines doesn't.
Old Dec 30, 2020, 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by ClarkGriswold
HR Hill Country heats their's and it's much bigger (and nicer imho). Honestly don't know why HR Lost Pines doesn't.
LOL not sure where your info is coming from. Regular at both properties here. The lazy rivers are almost exactly the same length (approx 1,000 feet). Both were built around the same time. To each their own, but I find Lost Pines to be much nicer. As for heating, I didn’t think either were heated.

Lost Pines is also a much more rural location (HR is basically a suburban San Antonio) and has MUCH nicer renovated rooms.
Old Dec 30, 2020, 3:17 pm

LOL not sure where your info is coming from. Regular at both properties here. The lazy rivers are almost exactly the same length (approx 1,000 feet). Both were built around the same time. To each their own, but I find Lost Pines to be much nicer. As for heating, I didn’t think either were heated.

Lost Pines is also a much more rural location (HR is basically a suburban San Antonio) and has MUCH nicer renovated rooms.
Yeah, I get it -- it's a heated (haha no pun intended) debate in our household We're in College Station so frequent both too. I find Hill Country a little more laid back and better as our kids get older. That said, my favorite one tends to be whichever one I am at at the moment But pretty sure Hill Country is heated - seen the steam coming up from it on several winter trips.

Curious, did they build the lazy river later after opening? Hill Country is a much older property (1993?), and I think LP has only bene around 15(ish years). I've only been going to them for 6-7 years.
Old Dec 30, 2020, 3:30 pm

Originally Posted by ClarkGriswold
Yeah, I get it -- it's a heated (haha no pun intended) debate in our household We're in College Station so frequent both too. I find Hill Country a little more laid back and better as our kids get older. That said, my favorite one tends to be whichever one I am at at the moment But pretty sure Hill Country is heated - seen the steam coming up from it on several winter trips.

Curious, did they build the lazy river later after opening? Hill Country is a much older property (1993?), and I think LP has only bene around 15(ish years). I've only been going to them for 6-7 years.
Heres my understanding: they are actually very similar in terms of age... both mid 90s and were developed at the same time under the same “deal.” If you notice, the architecture is very similar. Both were originally owned and operated by Hyatt corporate but now only Lost Pines is (Hill
Country is managed but no longer owned). I could have it all in reverse but only one of them is still owned by Hyatt and I think it’s LP. I believe the rivers both opened with the resorts but have slightly different mechanical designs if you look closely... but they are definitely both about the same length.

LP has had more money put into it (obviously) and had multiple room renovations whereas I think HC is basically original (but reasonably well maintained).

It could steam and not be heated depending on preceding weather. Very few outdoor pools in TX are heated but I’m sure you know that....
ClarkGriswold likes this.
Old Dec 30, 2020, 4:09 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver, Hilton Gold, Hertz Pres Circle
We just checked in at the Wild Oak HRC, down the street from the HR Hill Country, with its own lazy river that the lady at check-in told us is heated. Now I'm motivated to go check it out at night!
Old Dec 30, 2020, 4:22 pm

Originally Posted by gooseman13
We just checked in at the Wild Oak HRC, down the street from the HR Hill Country, with its own lazy river that the lady at check-in told us is heated. Now I'm motivated to go check it out at night!
HRC has a nice indoor pool area too -- we head over there sometimes from Hill Country in winter. Also, don't know if they told you at check-in(or if it's change because of covid), but HRC and Hill Country reciprocate access - so you can also go try out the one there and get us an answer . Enjoy your time in San Antonio.
Old Dec 30, 2020, 4:30 pm

HRC is really an entirely different animal in a lot of ways... as they are neither owned nor operated by Hyatt. I haven’t been to this property but it makes sense the river there (which appears shorter than the TX Hyatt resorts) would be heated because it connects to the indoor pool area.
Old Dec 30, 2020, 6:24 pm

Is it actually open at night? One of my pet peeves is well lit, well heated pools that close at 6pm... seems to be a common theme among hotels.
Old Dec 30, 2020, 6:47 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver, Hilton Gold, Hertz Pres Circle
Originally Posted by Zelucifer
Is it actually open at night? One of my pet peeves is well lit, well heated pools that close at 6pm... seems to be a common theme among hotels.
Good point, the river they said closes at 6. Not sure if that's typical, or covid-related. All of the other pools are closed completely, so for anything other than lazy river we have to go to HR Hill.
Old Feb 19, 2021, 6:58 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WOH - Globalist, HHonors - Gold, Marriott - Gold
Spent a bit over a week there at the beginning of February, taking advantage of the $199 Work from Hyatt rate, which coupled with TSUs resulted in a two bedroom suite with a $25 a day F&B credit.

The good, the bad, and the ugly:

Good: wonderful service, all staff we interacted with were genuinely doing their best. Really nice freshly remodeled rooms and suites - modern design that still has enough "Texas" touches. The tech is top notch, with fast wifi and humongous TVs with Chromecast. Really good food offerings for the pandemic-era, and very reasonable prices considering the remote nature of the property. Globalist breakfast was anything off the menu, either dine-in, takeout, or room service (in takeout containers as is current custom). Free nightly smores, petting zoo, and (partially) heated pool were a hit with the kids.

Bad: unless staying on points as a Globalist or with a package that includes parking, charging for self-parking is ridicilous for a rural property. Included bike rentals are really beat up, and there's really no bike trails accessible from the property we could find. The pool is only heated by the sandy beach area, the lazy river is not, and the heater is only turned on Friday-Sunday. There's still some remodeling work going on by the convention side of the property.

Ugly: the storm that blanketed Texas last weekend completely cut the property off from the world. The management had no plan whatsoever, and guests were told that if they attempt leaving and get stuck, there will be no help. They used a tractor to plow the circle by the frong door, but not the service road. The hilly service roads leading into the property were practically impassable without all wheel drive - luckily, there were several guests with trucks who made enough of a track in the snow that our front wheel drive vehicle was finally able to make it out Monday afternoon (thanks to Michelin snow tires) after several attempts. Màny others were attempting the incline only to slide back down. Here's a view from the first hill looking back in the direction of the resort:

I'm not entirely blaming the resort - this was a natural disaster, and my heart goes out to all who got affected by it, but it certainly was a crazy experience, and I'm glad we were able to safely get home.
Old Feb 19, 2021, 7:47 pm

Originally Posted by sch_flyer
Spent a bit over a week there at the beginning of February, taking advantage of the $199 Work from Hyatt rate, which coupled with TSUs resulted in a two bedroom suite with a $25 a day F&B credit.

The good, the bad, and the ugly:

Good: wonderful service, all staff we interacted with were genuinely doing their best. Really nice freshly remodeled rooms and suites - modern design that still has enough "Texas" touches. The tech is top notch, with fast wifi and humongous TVs with Chromecast. Really good food offerings for the pandemic-era, and very reasonable prices considering the remote nature of the property. Globalist breakfast was anything off the menu, either dine-in, takeout, or room service (in takeout containers as is current custom). Free nightly smores, petting zoo, and (partially) heated pool were a hit with the kids.

Bad: unless staying on points as a Globalist or with a package that includes parking, charging for self-parking is ridicilous for a rural property. Included bike rentals are really beat up, and there's really no bike trails accessible from the property we could find. The pool is only heated by the sandy beach area, the lazy river is not, and the heater is only turned on Friday-Sunday. There's still some remodeling work going on by the convention side of the property.

Ugly: the storm that blanketed Texas last weekend completely cut the property off from the world. The management had no plan whatsoever, and guests were told that if they attempt leaving and get stuck, there will be no help. They used a tractor to plow the circle by the frong door, but not the service road. The hilly service roads leading into the property were practically impassable without all wheel drive - luckily, there were several guests with trucks who made enough of a track in the snow that our front wheel drive vehicle was finally able to make it out Monday afternoon (thanks to Michelin snow tires) after several attempts. Màny others were attempting the incline only to slide back down. Here's a view from the first hill looking back in the direction of the resort:

I'm not entirely blaming the resort - this was a natural disaster, and my heart goes out to all who got affected by it, but it certainly was a crazy experience, and I'm glad we were able to safely get home.
Crazy to see that kind of snow there! For anyone considering this vs the Hill Country Resort.... Hill Country maintains ONE fully heated pool in the winter (and it's quite warm) along with a couple of hot tubs. So swimming is doable whereas it sounds like it's really not at Lost Pines. That said, Lost Pines is definitely the nicer of the two and the room renovation is gorgeous.
Old Feb 20, 2021, 2:39 pm

Thanks for sharing.

Isn't the free parking for Globalist promo still going? thought it expires end of Feb.

Is it the resort policy to upgrade TSU to two-bedroom suite, or just good luck?

Thanks,
Old Feb 20, 2021, 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by harbourxie
Thanks for sharing.

Isn't the free parking for Globalist promo still going? thought it expires end of Feb.

Thanks,
Yes free parking for Globs for now. Used to be all the time because the resort fee included parking.

It is NOT resort policy to upgrade into two bedroom suites. Under normal circumstances non-TSU upgrades should never be expected as the suites are reserved in advance (cash purchase or Globs using TSU upgrade). In Covid (and off season) suites are often readily available on arrival.
Old Feb 20, 2021, 3:57 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WOH - Globalist, HHonors - Gold, Marriott - Gold
Originally Posted by harbourxie
Thanks for sharing.

Thanks,
Parking was comped due to the promo (and also listed as an inclusion for the Work from Hyatt rate). The TSU booked into a King Junior Suite, however, the property was willing to add a second connecting bedroom to be used as a working space under the Work from Hyatt package. Note that the Junior Suite only has a dining table that is suitable for work - the king bedroom had no desk or table. The second bedroom had a tiny round table that was ok for a laptop.
Old Mar 11, 2021, 12:15 pm

Thanks for the inputs, txhyattlvr and sch_flyer

Planned to spend spring break at either lost pine but crossed it as TX changed its mask policy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.